hhgregg

www.hhgregg.com
Employer Engaged

Could be such a better company if....

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Akron, OH

I have been working at hhgregg

Pros

Friendly work staff, hour lunch, working with customers

Cons

Terrible pay system. Working commission at a retail store is discouraging because you work so many hours then fall into draw. It is Christmas time and this check they took out almost half of my check from "draw". When HR was called they said they don't take a certain percent of the check but they can take whatever amount they please. This is now leaving me and my family tight on funds for the holiday while I am stuck working overtime that places me in draw. It is a terrible cycle. This company would be great to work for if they simply paid sales employees hourly with commissions on warranties. It is very upsetting to work so many hours during the holiday and reap no benefit when you receive the check. At this point I would rather work a part time job at fast food because at least my check could be 50.00 higher. The amount of money spent from turnover at this company would equal what they pay to keep a good, happy, hourly paid staff.

The management is not an issue. If anything I feel bad for them because they know how frustrated their staff is because of the above mentioned. They have the struggle of finding new staff or having people call off and walk out because they are upset. KUDOS.

Incompetent

Current Employee - Electronics Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Electronics Sales Associate

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good people, Decent Customers, Opportunities

Cons

Terrible Marketing, Draw System (Commission), Discount

Get inside of these stores and see what's really going on with your employees and customers

Fun but stressful

Current Employee - CSM in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - CSM in Orlando, FL

I have been working at hhgregg part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The associates are fun to be around at times. You will meet some interesting people. The job is pretty chill for hourly associates.

Cons

Most of the management staff have no idea what they're doing, most of them can't even edit tickets properly. Also the work environment is very choatic and I feel like I'm back in middle school. This company also has a horrible turn over rate.

Pay the hourly associates more. We do the grunt work, handle almost all issues, and we make little to no money. Also there should be more operational positions available for those who work in ops that want to move up.

Cut throat company

Current Employee - Customer Service Merchandiser in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Merchandiser in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at hhgregg part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Family oriented staff and meeting new people on a day to day basis.

Cons

Having to run the sales floor because they hire lazy management who put everything off on csm's. low pay rate. all problems fall on csm's. Management is cut throat and will through you under the bus at anytime to make themselves look good.

Show appreciation to staff!! Stop running those that value your company to the ground.

Sales associate

Current Employee - Appliance Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Appliance Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at hhgregg full-time

Pros

Commission job and able to work overtime

Cons

Bad location not enough buyers

Try to relocate our store

Not family oriented

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at hhgregg full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Semi good pay. Opportunity to move up

Cons

Struck attendance policy. Required to work unless under a state of emergency

Awesome except for the pay

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate

I have been working at hhgregg part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I like the people i work with and the discount is great

Cons

the pay sucks horribly, raises are offensive

upper level managment, pay attention to who you hire, store level mgmt, mine are lazy

Bad

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Money when it is a Holliday

Cons

During non Holliday seasons plan to starve and pay the company back from the draw. It is $7.25 per hour that has to be repaid as soon as you make any money over your scheduled hours in commission they take it back all at once. Good luck getting all your commissions if you can find how they take it back in sneaky ways. Managers are preoccupied with the pet employees and give them sales while everyone else has to fend for themselves. It is a greedy environment better watch your money and your back if the company is not taking it your friendly associates will. Managers will not help close sales as they are supposed to do the friendly face close- good luck with that one.

Focus on what is important chasing women and looking at your cell phones all day or laughing and playing games with fellow employees on your phones will not get the job done. Also talking about the stores customers while they are within hearing distance is not very good customer service.

It was a desperation job

Former Employee - Electronic Sales
    Former Employee - Electronic Sales

I worked at hhgregg (less than a year)

Pros

Discount, potential to earn a lot of money if you know how to swindle customers on warranties.

Cons

Horrible work-life balance. Draw. If you go into "draw" (where you don't make enough to cover minimum wage), they will loan you the money to take you up to minimum wage and deduct it from your next paycheck. Take the cost for uniforms out of your paycheck, which is ILLEGAL if it is unsuitable to wear outside of work, such as having a company logo, or causing you to be paid less than minimum wage. Make you go to unpaid training. Coworkers fight like children over customers. Job is commission only. If you get stuck in slow hours you don't get paid. Hire too many people for holiday season, not enough sales to go around.

Just be ethical, and don't make sales deal with online sales where they earn nothing for their work.

Audio/Video Sales aren't what they used to be

Former Employee - Home Theater Sales in Champaign, IL
    Former Employee - Home Theater Sales in Champaign, IL

I worked at hhgregg

Pros

None that I can think of.

Cons

Wow Where should i start? Training is lackluster-No support when you start out. Its pretty much like learning how to swim in shark infested waters.

Most of management is here today gone tomorrow so I would be wasting my time.

hhgregg Photos