hhgregg Reviews

Updated September 15, 2014
2.2

hhgregg President, CEO, and Director Dennis L. May
Dennis L. May

Pros
  • You have the potential to make good money (in 23 reviews)

• Most coworkers are good people, price points are good, excellent employee discount (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work/life balance - Managers hired on to work 45 hours, actually end up working 55 (in 25 reviews)

• You will work every weekend and long hours through out the week (in 47 reviews)

More Highlights

An unimpressive company with questionable pay structure

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Apex, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Apex, NC

I worked at hhgregg full-time for less than a year

Pros

- EMPLOYEE DISCOUNT is quite a perk.

- JOB RESPONSIBILITIES may be unsatisfying but are not stressful.

- ROOM FOR ADVANCEMENT was spoken and executed often (however, the high turnover rate may be a factor)

- COMPETITIVE with regards to their competitors pricing/policies/delivery. This makes it easy for salesman to close sales. Also, TVs are often in-stock when compared to competitors.

- ASSOCIATES ARE VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE and are given the tools to learn and be successful.

- you CAN BE WELL-COMPENSATED if you're in a high-traffic store and have good selling skills; however, the traffic appears to be diminishing in most stores.

Cons

- by far the most glaring issue with hhgregg is it's COMMISSION STRUCTURE...Yes--there is unlimited earning potential and better sales people will make more money. However, the real issue is the required morning walk-through where you discuss ads (my management staff often did not do this even though it was required), put up sale tags, clean, out-of-store training sessions, etc. These tasks are done with no way of having any customer interaction-- YET, THE SALES ASSOCIATES ARE NOT COMPENSATED FOR THIS TIME. No customers, no commission. When I asked why there was no compensation during this time, I was told that it factors into draw pay (the company pays you minimum wage until your sales commission pays you over $7.25/hr.) However, a salesperson inevitably must pay back the draw pay, so, that answer was obviously misleading. How this isn't illegal I honestly do not know. Other tasks including sales tags, warehouse responsibilities, and loading vehicles are not compensated--this again factors into your "commission pay" even though this time spent off the sales floor invariably adds up.

- POOR COMMUNICATION SKILLS OF MANAGEMENT led to misunderstanding of what is expected. The "On-point" system (how hhgregg wants its associates to greet customers) the company employs is not properly conveyed to its associates. Three different managers explained to me three different "standards" of how this was done--each contradicting what the prior conversation entailed. Poor employee-to-employee communication led to actual verbal confrontations between associates over whether to "split" a sale (this was unprofessionally done in front of customers on occasion.) My particular manager was a typical "high-pressure" salesman that had questionable sales tactics but even poorer leadership and communication skills, which led to LITERAL shouting confrontations with sales associates--perhaps the most unprofessional and misplaced boss I've experienced.

- SCHEDULING was a constant issue as the store was often understaffed on the weekdays yet overstaffed on the weekends (leading to difficulty to balance commission to those who didn't have a solid customer base) and frustration to customers who had to wait on weekdays.

- the HIGH-PRESSURE SALES TACTICS that the company employs is outdated and is not welcomed by customers. Perhaps the main reason as to why the company's sales are fleeting. I was also told to "stay within 15 feet of a customer at all times" once you've greeted them. This is absolutely ridiculous, and is a common complaint of customers on review sites.

- building trust with customers is PREACHED YET NOT PRACTICED. A sign indicating a reduced cost couch was actually torn up in front of me by a manager and I was told to include a service agreement without mention and not explain the couch alone was on sale.

- HIGH MANAGER TURNOVER rates leads to ineffective communication and obviously misplaced individuals with their roles.

- UNORGANIZED POS system and warehouse procedures often led to mishandled transactions and merchandising issues.

- OBVIOUS LACK OF FEMALE DIVERSITY (at least in my particular region) in regards to both associates and store-management. (I, also, am a male.)

- And these issues are not "just like every other retail job." I have since begun work with hhgregg's top electronics competitor and I must say these issues are nowhere to be found.

- there are other many small issues, but, the major issues are all that need to be pointed out. If you work there, you'll eventually experience them.

in regards to business, FOREMOST, stop putting salesman who lack leadership, communication and MANAGEMENT skills in MANAGEMENT positions. These people may very well be terrific salesman, but if they cannot teach their skills or manage others, find a better candidate.

And start thinking outside the box-- "high pressure" sales tactics are done...THIS is why Amazon is stealing business--people of this era no longer want to be SOLD-- they want informed. This is NOT what you're practicing in your stores. Be creative and come up with ways to drive profit-- the "high-pressure" game is leading to your demise.

the worst job experience in my 30 years in the work force !

Current Employee - Appliance Sales  in  Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Appliance Sales in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at hhgregg full-time for more than a year

Pros

Sad to say this , I am still employed at Gregg after 11 months , and cant think of any "Pros ". Presently seeking a different opportunity.

Cons

been in commissioned sales for 25 years and have never seen a company take so much from their employees. We are constantly over staffed , making it impossible to make any decent money. Gregg does not care as long as the customer is taken care of. You can sell a 3000 dollar fridge and only make 30 dollars. you can sell a 2000 dollar TV and make 13 dollars. Gregg keeps all the profit for the company.

no words for management.

Wouldn't Recommend this job to my worst enemy.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Durham, NC

I have been working at hhgregg full-time

Pros

Potential to be a decent job if your in the right market...if not, then your wasting your time because when you actually make a decent check they will take back any draw accumulated.

Cons

Store is open later then should be on Saturday and Sunday. No retailer should be open after 9pm on Saturdays and 6pm on Sundays. Compensation Policy is a scam if your not in a solid market because of commission draw structure. Management is promoted based on if they can sale, not if they actually have any leadership qualities. Management is over worked.

Don't close at 10pm on Saturdays and 8pm on Sundays and 9;30 every other night of week. Don't promote excellent sales personnel into management just because they can sale there's a reason their good at selling products and service. A good salesman doesn't mean they can lead a group of others. Display all TVs to HD. Fix the company website.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

4 years too long at Hhgregg

Former Employee - Operations Lead
    Former Employee - Operations Lead

I worked at hhgregg for more than 3 years

Pros

Made friends with some co-workers

Cons

Pay, work life balance, hours, the management is absolutely terrible. I have been transferred to several different locations and every single manager is incompetent and immature. All employees get treated like dogs.

Hire more experienced managers.

Eject Eject Eject

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at hhgregg full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of ASMs/ESMs are good -- hired for the expansion that never happened. (Con) they languish while outsiders are hired over them.

Cons

Declining profits. Senior management being infiltrated by xSears xWalMart refugees.
    Margins are going away. Contractors have no stake in customer service. Pay is tied to profit yet the company preaches customer service. Many managers are great at selling but terrible at managing people and teaching culture. Too few store level managers to support sellers.

Re-embrace the old vision. Reward the culture and profits will follow. Rewarding numbers destroys customer loyalty. Get out of Home Theatre.

Do not work here

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Mobile, AL

I have been working at hhgregg full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are no pros to speak of.

Cons

Everything from management to pay. This is the only place where you go to work and owe them money

care

Promises never kept

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at hhgregg full-time for less than a year

Pros

Potential for higher income if you make goals and store makes goals

Cons

Change rules of how to achieve income and entice you to take job offer with benefits

Be honest about how your system works and you are only going to make it after 90 days if you make all your goals.

Appliances Sale

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at hhgregg full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice fellow employees, latest appliances,

Cons

Internet mailings to customers with special discounts coupons really hurt the sales staff in making any money

Immaturity and Boredom Set In

Former Employee - Electronics Sales Associate  in  Evansville, IN
    Former Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Evansville, IN

I worked at hhgregg full-time for less than a year

Pros

This job is for people who like to act like they are in high school

Cons

This is a joke of a job

Stop acting like you are in high school.

Good initiative, bad judgment.

Former Employee - Appliance Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Appliance Sales Manager

I worked at hhgregg full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Fun working with so many customers
    - Exciting teaching sales associates how to make more money; directly influencing their paychecks.

Cons

- Terrible work/life balance - Managers hired on to work 45 hours, actually end up working 55+hours.
    - Manager (Salaried) Compensation is horrendous compared to market average.
    - Monthly bonus for managers is quite impossible to max out on in today's market.
    - Commission structure is poor (1% on Volume, 12% on Profit, 8%-22% on Service Plans - %based on amount sold weekly)
    - Company has no clear goals

Bring in another manager per building to reduce some of the stress on your managers. You expect three people in the building to do the job of nine for sub-par pay.

Worked for hhgregg? Contribute to the Community!