hhgregg Reviews

Manager

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Pitts, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Pitts, PA

I worked at hhgregg

Pros

-Value products are reasonably priced -Carry most major brands in Appliances & Electronics -Fair earning potential

Cons

As a former Manager, my position was eliminated by the company in efforts to save money. The company suffers from lack of leadership and confusion within upper management. Company profits have declined rapidly over the past 3 years and continue to fall. Its business leaders have failed to understand the importance of Competitive Business Intelligence and its benefits. Acquiring new products for sale without solidifying a base operational stand point has been adverse for the company. The company has strong contentions of "pulling the trigger" without proper planning and analysis. As a result the company has downsized massively eliminating over 100 management positions company-wide. Though it saves the company money in short term; they have failed to understand the big picture at hand. Failure to understand where they as a company can compete at its best advantages per market has and will continue to plummet company profits.

Advice to Management

*The inability to garner your best talents within your ranks is detrimental to company growth *Failure to understand that SME's (Subject Matter Experts) are critical for decision making in all aspects of company growth. *Continuing to follow a failed business model is less than admirable for any company in any industry. *Good leaders know their limitations. *Learn more about "Competitive Intelligence" with no C.I. department how do you know where your going or who is eating your lunch and is your next decision to sell a product worthwhile? ie..Fitness Equipment...

2. Company is in a death spiral

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at hhgregg

Pros

Quiet work environment, free of the noise and distractions created by customers. Lots of free time to clean

Cons

Huge confusion and total lack of leadership at the top. - 4 Chief Merchandising Officers in 3 years - Chairman of the Board and last member of the founding family jumped ship - Fired and eliminated the Director of Marketing - Fired 150 Sales Managers in the field - Completely changed the compensation model in the store, leading to mass exodus and low morale - Lost 132 Million last year Other than that, it wasn't all that bad

Advice to Management

Polish up those resumes

Bad place look elsewhere

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at hhgregg part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can't really think of any.

Cons

Leadership lacks vision. The morale is low and I would recommend this place as a destination to work.

Advice to Management

Right the ship. Fix the commission and stop changing it every three months.

5. Not a great place

Current Employee - Sales in Holiday, FL
    Current Employee - Sales in Holiday, FL

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good people but most have left after a 40% pay cut

Cons

Less pay and it changes all the time they keep taking (I'm still there, this is a CON

Advice to Management

work in our place and you guys take pay cuts and see if your so excited then we can tell you if you don't like it hit the door

Keep an eye on how busy your location is during the two week training.

Current Employee - Electronics Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Electronics Sales Associate

I have been working at hhgregg part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can made great money if you're a good sales person and your location has customers. Gives the tools to learn a lot about the products. Two-weeks of training on hourly pay. Managers care about getting things done and making sure the customers walk away happy.

Cons

No benefits for part-timers. Pay structure requires you to sell a large number of big ticket items per week, but the customer traffic means you're lucky if you sell a few Blu-Ray players and Bluetooth speakers. Draw pay system puts you in debt if you can't make sales, usually because there are no customers. No respect what-so-ever for work/life balance. You WILL work holidays. You WILL work Saturdays. The general manager mocked me for asking for my birthday off before begrudgingly agreeing to it. Hours are garbage. Expect to work regular 10 hour shifts, even as a part timer and extended hours during sales that will have you there until 10pm on a Sunday night, with the night's last customer leaving at 8pm. No warehouse workers. My location has a great warehouse guy, but he is only part-time. Expect to not just retrieve product for your customers, but also retrieve product for your co-workers' customers. Training is hilariously hands-off. I was sat at a computer for a week and a half reading Power Point presentations with no context and doing assessments that I was only able to pass using prior knowledge from 7 years of retail experience. You will go hours at a time with no customers in the store. Constant unpaid busywork including, but not limited to double checking stock, replacing price tags daily, cleaning furniture displays and carpets, cleaning and replacing signage and cleaning and stocking shelves. I have spent more time doing this busywork than I have working with customers. Constant badmouthing of the competition, including Sears and Best Buy. The computer system used for the registers is absolute trash. Manager approval is needed for just about everything, deliveries slow the transaction to a crawl and sales and discounts must be calculated manually. Sales people are expected to ring up the majority of their sales, but are not allowed to handle cash. I have been scolded for asking a CSM to ring up a sale because I could have done it myself, despite ringing up sales being a CSM's job. A complete obsession with selling service plans. You are expected to sell a service plan to every. Single. Customer. You are expected to use an info sheet to sell the services to every customer, even if it would cause that customer to walk away from the sale. You will be scolded and written up if you don't have a filled in info sheet stapled to a receipt that doesn't have a service sold. My store's management only expects it from sales over $200 (still laughably low considering the products), but company policy has this for everything, including $30 DVD players. Some of the stock is headscratching. Why are we carrying laptops with slower processors and less RAM than a cell phone? Why are we still carrying DVD players without even a component connection? Why do we have a wall of PlayStation and Xbox accessories when they never sell? Constantly tells you how lazy hourly workers are and how much better your commission pay is while downplaying the draw system that will put you in debt if your store's traffic is low.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring during June and July, you don't have the customer traffic for it. Get rid of the draw system. Your turnover is ridiculously high because you're strapping your new workers with debt because there are no customers to sell to. Stop badmouthing the competition to your employees, it comes off as desperate. Start getting hourly workers to do busywork. Commissioned sales people can be expected to do some that's relevant to making sales, but why am I wasting two hours when I walk in the door checking what displays are out? Get a more efficient and automated computer system. I'm told the current system replaced an old one. I can only DREAD what the old one was like. Even if I have to punch in discount percentages manually, why do I have to do the MATH manually?

Job for most, career for few.

Current Employee - Appliance Sales
    Current Employee - Appliance Sales

I have been working at hhgregg full-time

Pros

Employee discount, friendly co-workers, potential to make money is there if willing to live at work.

Cons

Crazy hours, lack of support staff, lack of inventory, policies/SOPs are constantly changing, commission structure works against sales staff, no accountability for customer issues.

Advice to Management

Stop reducing hours for hourly employees and forcing commissioned sales to pick up the slack. Work with buyers to assure product availability. Offer free delivery to stay competitive (no more rebates!). Corporate seems clueless as to what consumers want and what drives sales, seek input from store management/sales staff.

Operations lead

Former Employee - Operations Lead in Berwyn, PA
    Former Employee - Operations Lead in Berwyn, PA

I worked at hhgregg (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, fun place to work, not much to say that would be appealing to anyone who applies there.

Cons

Long hours, pay rate is low for the position. Management and employes are not trained properly. Don't expect this store to be around long.

Advice to Management

Don't sit around and expect your employees to cover for you. Get your hands in the job.

dead end

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florence, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florence, KY

I worked at hhgregg full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

you could make good money when the store was busy and managment let you do your job.

Cons

over the years the store traffic has slowed to a trickle. also, every time some "consultant" opened his mouth, management had us bumrush every customer who was brave enough to enter the store.

Advice to Management

stick up for your sales personnel. after all, they are the ones who can make or break a store.

No money to be made

Current Employee - Home Theater Specialist in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Home Theater Specialist in Orlando, FL

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Middle management tend to be decent but corporate heads neuter the middle management with all kinds of BS. Not much positive to say

Cons

Work life balance is way out of wack. Commission structures keep changing. 2 changed in 4 months. All changes benefit company not the employee. It is impossible unless you are a long term appliance associate to make any real money.

Advice to Management

Get the Sears managers out of the picture. They ran one business into the ground they are doing it again. Dennis May needs to pull his head from his back side and take control instead of listening to his trusted ex Sears advisors. Run the company Dennis.

Review

I have been working at hhgregg full-time

Pros

Make your own pay. Commission base

Cons

Lots of chance in last 12-18 moths.

Advice to Management

Go back to what made Hhgregg different from competitors

RSS Feed </> Embed