hhgregg Reviews

Updated September 11, 2014
2.2

hhgregg President, CEO, and Director Dennis L. May
Dennis L. May

Pros
  • You have the potential to make good money (in 23 reviews)

• Most coworkers are good people, price points are good, excellent employee discount (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work/life balance - Managers hired on to work 45 hours, actually end up working 55 (in 25 reviews)

• You will work every weekend and long hours through out the week (in 47 reviews)

More Highlights

High Promise, Low Payoff

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Manassas, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Manassas, VA

I have been working at hhgregg full-time for less than a year

Pros

More selection than other retailers and more lenient on prices adjustments.

Cons

Slow times means you work for free basically, and it's slow A LOT.

Increase the hourly wages and change the store OS

Mixed Feelings

Current Employee - Sales  in  Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Sales in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at hhgregg full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay CAN be good. Flexible work schedule that allows for you to take off when needed. Sales people for the most part are very cohesive with each other and help one another. As long as you are doing your job, you are not micromanaged as much as other companies(I say this having worked for 2 competitors).

Cons

If I didn't already have previous experience I would have been lost. This company lacks any real organized training. Management is underpaid and over worked and many times down right lazy. All you hear them talk about is their bonus. I was told when I got hired that this is a family focused company, yet I see parents having to bring their children into work because they needed to get them from school and couldn't have hours that allow them to do that. Let the managers make their own schedules based on their store. They are hired because you trust them with a store so treat them that way and your turnover would go down.

Talk to your entry level associates more. This company cannot function without the CSMs or sales or warehouse. Goto them for ideas rather than someone who does not interact daily with your customers. We are willing to help and talk to you but you need to be willing to listen. It seems like speaking up with ideas as a Sales associate is frowned upon. Also you need to take HR complaints more seriously before something really bad happens. There is no reason people should be quitting because nothing gets down when you talk to a manager.

Could be better

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate  in  Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Aurora, IL

I have been working at hhgregg full-time for more than a year

Pros

The work is easy, people are somewhat friendly. The pay is good compared to some of their competitors

Cons

Only people that suck up to management are promoted. Very understaffed, so the staff is often burned out by the workload. The schedules are not made for people that HAVE and WANT to be with their families

It would be better if there was more flexibility in the work schedules. If you hired more people instead of pushing people to their breaking point more people might stay.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Crazy hours ridiculous draw system.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Whitehall, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Whitehall, PA

I worked at hhgregg full-time for more than a year

Pros

The experience. I learned a lot about electronics and how to sell efficently.

Cons

The draw system is ridiculous you owe the company money if you dont make enough money on sales. Managers can get power hungry. Customer Service was lacking. Company did not care about employees.

This is the worst company that I worked for!

I have been working at hhgregg full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I like working with my co workers.

Cons

I've been with this company for 6 years. I don't like getting our hours cut from 40 to 32. I'm very dissatisfied with the pay that you give your employees.

Provide more support for your employees. It seems to me the sales associates get the most support because they "make the money" and the CSMs are left behind. The amount of work that is required of the CSMs and the compensation they receive needs to be improved. There needs to be more and better communication among all of the employees and management. Star employees need to be recognized by more than just a "good job" as you walk away. Sales associates get rewarded with little competitions and perks while the employees on the front lines handling the tasks no one else wants to do or cleaning up the mess and preventing disaster are left in the dust.

Only Work at hhgregg If There Is Nowhere Else To Work !

Former Employee - Sales Manager  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at hhgregg full-time for more than a year

Pros

Selling current product in all categories
    If You drink the juice you will love it here !!!!
    Work a ton of hours to offset a tough social life
    Quick advancement (due to the large turnover )

Cons

NO WORK LIFE BALANCE
    If a holiday falls on your day off - oh well tough, you now missed your day off
    Be ready to work 50 + hours a week
    Forget about the bonuses they promise ( didn't get one in a year or anyone else in the region either)
    Got to love working Thanksgiving Day - and the week prior and after ! no mercy
    You are Never scheduled a Saturday off (forget about your kids sporting activities you will miss them ALL)
    IT IS NOT CIRCUIT CITY ! no matter what they say

Come out of the ivory tower and spent time in the store and not just when the stores are busy
    Treat your people better and consider their family life before generating the cookie cutter work schedules.
    Balance work life and you will NOT turn so many people like you do now, just think of all the money you would save in training if you focused on keeping people !
    Furniture and Bedding are NOT the life preserver for the business.

Management is placed based on their ability to lie and cheat to save company money.

Former Employee - Appliance Sales  in  Elizabethtown, KY
    Former Employee - Appliance Sales in Elizabethtown, KY

I worked at hhgregg full-time for less than a year

Pros

The chance to make a lot of money. Elizabethtown, KY

Cons

Too many employees to actually make any money. Management it more concerned with the personal life of employees then fixing issues in store. Petty and immature management, and the attempt to make sure I did not receive my final paychecks. Also, did not receive a paycheck for 1 month because management was not able to/ just didn't get my information in the system properly. Incompetency is at an all time high in this company.

Grow up. And stop trying to cheat former and current employees out of their money. The labor board will get involved.

To much free work with declining commission and decline of traffic.

Current Employee - Electronics Sales Associate  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at hhgregg full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent money if you know what your do u by and don't have a family.

Cons

Where to start??? Management commissions traffic draw system having to pay back after slow traffic

Close you'll never compete

How times have changed

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at hhgregg full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

-Discount
    - Made some really good friends

Cons

This company used to be great to work for. I was there for over 8 years. They require you to attend trainings that sometimes take 5-6 hours with no compensation, also no mileage reimbursement. The work/life balance is non existent, clueless managers who are only bonus driven. Dennis May seems completely clueless too, Ive never understood the logic of bringing in executives and high level management from failed companies.

Take care of the people that take care of YOUR customers. Back when this was truly a family run organization it was much better. After IPO employees get crapped on

Top 10 worst employer in United States

Current Employee - Sales Manager  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at hhgregg full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

None. Working for this company is not a privilege if you are looking for a workplace with pros, look somewhere else.

Cons

As an employee you have no value or actually you have negative value for the company. You will be over worked and underpaid and lied to and at the end you will be sold on the statement that you have this great opportunity. Here is company's interpretation of the opportunity: you as an employee give up your life and soul for me and I as the company will shaft you in every opportunity I get and at the end of each time I will tell you there is another one of these opportunity in the corner for you to take.

Go to stores and work for a week as a manager, you will find out what is wrong with your business. You have been so distanced from your stores by sticking to your office and managing the business by perception of the facts instead of managing your business by the facts that you have no idea how your stores operates, and you have been making delusional decisions base on your own biased self centered perception of the facts.

Worked for hhgregg? Contribute to the Community!