hhgregg Reviews

Salesman

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH

I worked at hhgregg

Pros

Could potentially earn a decent salary if you work a ton of hours

Cons

Terrible work schedule. Only was allowed one Sunday off a month. Worked every Saturday. They kept cutting commission. I worked there for a while as the top salesman and wasn't even looked at to advance.

Advice to Management

Overall we were just treated terribly by managers and district managers

Policy changes that hurt your checkbook

I worked at hhgregg full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked here for four years. At first I woke up every day and was excited to go to work. I loved the culture, the work atmosphere and I made a lot of money. Enough where I was able to support a family and live comfortably. I was just shy of $40,000. This place started off as a great opportunity because everything was geared around awesome customer service and making the associate money!

Cons

Then over the years policy changes came. I can deal with making a commission only sales associate pick up the slack of the hourly positions because of a company's desire to save money. The biggest policy changes came in the form of a massive overhaul of operational costs to try and save money because of a huge loss in 2014. The commission structure was changed recently, and the ability to make money is gone. I'm lucky if I can pull over $28,000. It's an unfortunate turn of events because I was forced to leave HHGregg because of the enormous decline in pay. Now HHGregg is all about doing whatever it can to return to profitability in 2015 and it doesn't care at all about the customer, it's associates or its management team that's in store.

Advice to Management

I hope that this company turns around. The reason being, is that there are a lot of really great people that work for it. I hope that the company takes in to considerations their needs as human beings before it decide to make any more cutbacks. If the sales associate gets their commission cut. The top ranking officials in the company should have their paycheck cut too!

Store Tenured Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

More freedom to manage and try new ideas within stores. Your success depends on both HOW you run YOUR business, but also how Your peers and employees view you as their lead. Commission sales are extraordinarily hard, managing it, much HARDER.

Cons

VERY LITTLE OPPORTUNITY TO HIT BONUS, WAY BELOW AVERAGE MANAGEMENT SALARY... THEY USE BONUS MONEY TO "ENTICE" MANAGERS INTO HIGHER OVERALL PAY. Regional staff and above use bad "sales" techniques to convince store managers to talk up how great new commission changes are and it costs an average of 45% of each employee their commission pay.

Advice to Management

TAKE CARE OF YOUR GROUND LEVEL AND IN STORE MANAGEMENT people... WE earn the bulk of the money for the company.

Fast paced job with a competitive bonus structure!

Current Employee - Electronics Sales Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Electronics Sales Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay, Discounts, Realistic Upward Mobility. This is a good career path for someone who is energetic and ready to invest time with the company.

Cons

Typical retail cons, hours, associate turnover, changing of comp plan pretty regularly. Overall a good career unless you are lazy or a 9-5er.

6. Very good company

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at hhgregg part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Treat you like family Excellent training Very nice management Very relaxing job

Cons

Pay and and scheduling could use work. I would like to be paid more for hourly and make some more money

Advice to Management

Hourly should be a little more

7. will not recommend this job to anybody

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at hhgregg

Pros

Salesperson r great the it

Cons

Everything dam thing place sucks

Advice to Management

Go back school

Went downhill FAST

Former Employee - Electronic Sales
    Former Employee - Electronic Sales

I worked at hhgregg full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really good discount, based on at-cost (So don't expect any gaming or computer discounts here, hardware is almost always sold at a loss!) Amazing atmosphere (until the commission change. No one was in good spirits when everyone's paychecks got cut at least in half) Management can be really cool You have the freedom (with permission) to hand out discounts to customers you like or to seal deals (keeping in ind discounting of any kind hurts your income for the sale) Because it's commission-based you can sometimes get out early, especially if your manager gives out early-out cards for great work! This seems to have tapered off lately

Cons

Sometimes get to work off the clock Anytime you aren't selling ,you aren't earning money. This includes when you are tasking around the store. Occasional mystery timeclock edits to keep you out of full time (which is nice only because at full time you get time-and-a-half for the week's hours...not so nice when you spend 14 hours reorganizing the store and get NOTHING FOR IT!) Times where there is nothing to do and no customers, the lucks guys on-point and on-deck get to stare a the door until a customer walks in, for hours sometimes. Draw system. Basically you have to earn more than the minimum wage amount you would earn for the hours. This includes the aforementioned time-and-a-half on all hours with overtime. Anytime you write less than draw, you owe the company that money back If you are in draw, and try to switch to an hourly position, they will take it from your pay at a fixed rate. Somehow this is legal, in my case I would be making 70$ from that hourly position, but they would be taking 50$ out of it. Cant live on 20$/wk! IF you quit, and owe draw, they take it out of your last paycheck In my case absorbing 2 weeks pay. Not sure how this is all legal... Full time is being phased out, meaning this position will soon be one for anyone who isn't a grown-up with bills to pay. The focus on making the employees happy and training them to be the best has gone away. Those of us who see themselves as worth more than minimum wage 20h/wk are leaving in droves. If we wanted this, we would have worked at best buy (who is oddly starting to increase the quality of staffing and pay lately...something to consider...)

Advice to Management

To everyone above RM level, SCREW YOU for the pay cuts, and making the premium service plan goals unattainable. To everyone RM level down, keep it up, and when this company goes under I hope you find gainful employment, preferably with private companies, who don't put shareholders interests above the needs of the customer, the employees, and the company! It's a shame, this company used to be great, and now it's going to become another best buy, or staples, or circuit city (remember them?) Something to consider, on the off chance everyone hasn't already accepted offers elsewhere, this company seems to rely on self-promotion and excellent expert associates with excellent customer service skills. These changes are driving away the high-sellers and the experts, and drawing in kids who are looking for a part-time job but don't want to work at mcdonalds. 1. The customer service HHG is known for will soon be at or below best buy levels 2. self promotion means we rely on our regulars who come to see US SPECIFICALLY! I found out today, the day after I quit, I had a customer looking for me. When he heard I left, he said "Ok, I'll go someplace else then..." I had a good 250 local customers that I KNOW OF. I've been doing this stuff for about 2 years. What about the guys who are packing up who have worked there for 5 years? 10 years? 15 years? Who have multiple rolodexes full of customers that shop with them? Those customers will follow the associate 9 times out of 10. Those are customers h.h.gregg has lost. That is money h.h.gregg has lost. What's funny, the h.h.gregg I worked at used to be in the same building the local circuit city was in. This whole driving the good employees away thing seems oddly familiar...

Learned a lot......the hard way

Former Employee - Home Theater/Lead PC Specialist in Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Home Theater/Lead PC Specialist in Lancaster, PA

I worked at hhgregg (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun work environment - interesting products- great training

Cons

100% commission- profit margin was bad- horrible hours - over-scheduled associates because they weren't paying us to be there- operationally bad - overpriced psp

Better thrive in commission environments and be at a large store.

Current Employee - Electronics Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Electronics Sales Associate

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If there is good customer traffic you can make very good money. Some sales people make 50,000+. Not too much else really.

Cons

Hours hours hours. Hardly is ever 40 hours it's always more and you don't get overtime. Many days you clean store for no pay at all if customer traffic is slow. Commissioned sales people SHOULD NOT be cleaning and stocking shelves. That's an hourly task. Sales people should sell, period. Managers get slammed with corporate policy and in turn slam employees. In the year I was employed I can name over 20 corporate changes they made which hurt sales people's pay or work life. If customer traffic is down then you literally pay Hhgregg for being there due to draw. In the last two years their business has declined by a lot.

Advice to Management

Reconsider many managers who get promoted. There should be more extensive training as well. Restructure pay scales so more people stay out of draw.

Need new business model

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canton, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canton, OH

I have been working at hhgregg

Pros

Easy job There is a lot of down time Great co-workers Occasionally a representative will come in and give you a free pen

Cons

Management is clueless (especially upper management) Inconsistencies in policies A lot expected that you aren't compensated for Long hours (don't ever expect to have family time) Pay structure just got worse Good employees are taken advantage of Only the negatives are ever focussed on.

Advice to Management

Worry about sales and taking care of customers. These have been forgotten in the past few years. Get back to basics because you are on track to go out of business (and fast)

RSS Feed </> Embed