hhgregg

Updated November 10, 2014
2.2

hhgregg President, CEO, and Director Dennis L. May
Dennis L. May

Pros
  • You have the potential to make good money (in 23 reviews)

• Decent employee discount (if the product has any money in it) (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work/life balance - Managers hired on to work 45 hours, actually end up working 55 (in 28 reviews)

• Long hours working shifts where no customers are present (in 53 reviews)

More Highlights

Following an outdated business model

Current Employee - Sales Associate in South Florida, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in South Florida, FL

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (more than an year)

Pros

benefits are good however they are expensive

Cons

Constant changes in policy take more and more of your commission pay. Low paying managers salaries have serious affect on quality level here. Sears downsized managers are taking over this company quickly, you see how that worked out for sears! The rats jumped ship and are sinking this one.

bringing on Zimmerman to market is great.... don't screw that up too.

Typical retail, high management turnover

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great working with products that fill your home, decent discount.

Cons

Bonuses are rarely made. You have to beat sales goals with declining traffic and smaller margins. No accountability by delivery, install or credit - it all falls back on the store managers who have minimal to no contact or power over those issues.

Take care of your employees- even the best associates have a hard time making a decent living. Base salary for managers should be increased even if that means lowering the bonus potential- bonuses are rarely earned -

One disaster after the next

I have been working at hhgregg

Pros

None. Horrible conditions. I can't wait to find another job.

Cons

Too much work that we are not paid for. No personal/sick days, you get sick you have to use vacation time. U work long hours for less pay during the holidays because the commission rates are slashed because prices are slashed for all of the door busters. U constantly have to review your pay stubs, over $500 in pay errors last year. Too long of hours, you'll close at 930 and have to be back the next day at 830. You'll be assigned 6 days a week during holidays. You'll sometimes work 9 days in a row without a day off.

I think every single person in the corporate office should be assigned to sell in a store for one month. They are so clueless. I think one month would help them maybe to understand the slavery conditions that they have created. I also find it interesting that nobody from corporate ever shows up after 5 in our store, or on a weekend.

Decent company, big talk, small gain.

Former Employee - Home Theater Specialist
    Former Employee - Home Theater Specialist

I worked at hhgregg full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay is pretty good, if you are staying on top of your sales and doing the little things.
    You can pretty much control your experience, given you don't have crazy managers.
    It does have a certain professional feel to the sales floor.
    Holidays can be great for making extra money.

Cons

Full commission can be a problem when dealing with you colleagues.
    Forced long hours, that puts you into draw (which pretty much means you owe the company back and you make minimum wage until you do.)
    Weekdays sometimes feel pointless (no traffic no money)
    Favoritism

Really pay attention to who you are hiring as the managers, I have had a very good experience and a very bad one with the managers. Promote from within and you will establish loyalty from the managers. It has been a while since I work here, but the draw system should be lowered to a more attainable amount when not working long hours.

Love this company!

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The sky is the limit! You will get out of hhgregg, what you put in! If you work hard and

Cons

None! I absolutely love this company!!

Wow...That was one of the most painful jobs I have ever had

Former Employee - Electronic Sales in Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Electronic Sales in Green Bay, WI

I worked at hhgregg full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The technology was fun to interact with. The employee discount was great on some stuff. Not much else...many times the negatives would be too overwhelming

Cons

Sell 90k in a month and make minimum wage....(best in the store for that month).....Way too many non sales jobs...stay longer for tags, come in early for training, training is mostly unpaid...hard to sell when your training...and of course the most asinine pay scale I have ever seen. Stupid central management...Pretty sure that 10 people are not needed when there is a football game in town (Green Bay) Train 40 hours for cell phones and watch them get pulled out of the store the next month...Store management that have no concept of how to interact with people...It was really annoying having a good day making $200 in com and having to give it back....Health Insurance was terrible...

Ditch the horrid pay structure...How you portray landed cost has to be a lie or you have some of the most horrible buyers I know of. Give the store managers more options for setting hours and staffing levels...I always hated being in the store for three hours without a customer...Be a little more generous for volume...One percent sucks...$5500 sale should be more than $55 in my pocket...

Pathetic display of a Corporate company

Former Employee - Customer Service Merchandiser in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Merchandiser in Columbia, SC

I worked at hhgregg part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hour lunches, potential for decent discounts on some items. Then end of a shift was the highlight of each day.

Cons

First, it took over 4 weeks for me to be fully hired and receiving paychecks (the first of which had a large dent in it for the employee-paid uniform). I received no training, and was thrown into the service desk on my first shift, having absolutely no idea what I was doing, needing to track down management for every customer that I faced.
    Those two warning signs should have scared me off, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt and didn't look for a different job...yet.

Scheduling is a pain, because it entirely depends on one person to make your schedule, and because of the constant turnover, which causes the schedule to change without warning. As far as
    work-life balance", this company could not care less about YOUR balance. There's a complete disregard for employee quality of life, which was pointed out to me by nearly every salesman and manager in my store (clearly, very high morale).

In regards to delivery...its amazing when they can actually do something right. Delivery warehouses are constantly bickering with store management, trying to get store-level compensation for delivery teams' constant screw-ups. Delivery teams have simply not shown up to customer homes, dented items, damaged customer homes, lost product, incorrectly hooked up product, and shipped incorrect products to customers. And these issues could easily all happen before noon on one day. Then, its up to the store to deal with all of Delivery's issues, and to catch all of the flack.

Hourly employees (CSM&WHS) will be underpaid. That is a fact. Any raise that they could receive will be $0.15, meaning that you'll earn an extra (before taxes) dollar for working a little over 6 hours. Can you feel the love? If you are an hourly employee, you'll become an unlicensed therapist for all of the salesmen and managers, who will vent (often about each other) to you, just because you're in their vicinity.

There are minimal. if any, opportunities for advancement, and mostly incorporate how well you get along with management.

Nobody in my store was happy , and it was the most negative and disorganized work experience I have ever been through, from management down.

There needs to be official training for CSMs, they are the face of customer service in HHGregg, yet they are thrown into the fire and expected to handle every irate customer without knowing how to fix problems. Also, pay them like you care that they face every angry customer. Sending CSMs into a tough situation, completely blind, doesn't look good, and it definitely doesn't make customers any happier.
    Management needs more compensation, a higher staff count, or both. Salesmen need more incentive to sell, because their incentive to sell right now is to not LOSE money from day-to-day.
    Management at a corporate level needs to realize that their stocks are still in the basement, and that their ignorant tactics to move more product are getting them nowhere, except up a profit-chain at the expense of their employees.

Full Throttle... into an iceberg.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ocala, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ocala, FL

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (less than an year)

Pros

• Decent employee discount (if the product has any money in it)
    • Somewhat decent people to work with
    • Hour lunches
    • Two days off a week (unless they surprise you and take one away)
    • And of course, the *potential* to make a decent amount of money

Cons

In my store, traffic is down, sales are down, and warranty is down. It's a struggle to earn even minimum wage in commission. Every potential sale is a constant battle, largely due to the fact that the company consistently advertises product without any profit, making it entirely my job to up-sell AND attach. After that, we get to take our customers to our new "Ultimate Price Center", to ensure they're getting the absolute lowest price around in case there is actually money in the product for them to take away from us. Not only do we have salesman putting up tags, cleaning, vacuuming, and rolling out product (all of which we do not get paid for), but now they've got salesman doing customer service and operational work, covering CSM's when they are on break, etc. Again, no compensation there. Managers refuse to take phone calls, leaving salesman or CSM's to deal with the irate/upset customer. Salesman are asked to capture email addresses of customers so that corporate can email them online-only promotions and coupons, diverting traffic away from the store so the company can profit on lost commission. It's like we're competing against ourselves. None of the most sought after products are in stock, inconveniencing both the customer and the salesman. Our delivery team is constantly breaking, denting, or otherwise damaging product. This leads to management offering customers deep discounts in order to keep the product in their home (at the salesman's expense), or the customer canceling the order all together. Anytime store management is notified of an upcoming regional manager visit, we're required to rush around and make sure the store looks one hundred percent, since they're incapable of maintaining it day-to-day. The company is very cheap, and often we don't even have proper invoice paper, or warranty brochures to give the customer when we're able to sway them into it. Uniforms, in their entirety, are paid for by employees. Managers decide when your shirt isn't red enough, or is fading, informing you that it's time we bought another one. Corporate doesn't trust the sales associate with price changes, requiring manager overrides for the smallest adjustments. This is a great inconvenience to the customer, especially when the manager is hiding in the breakroom or the office. Same applies when a salesman requires a product out of lockup, which only management has keys to. Landed costs change like the weather, and the company keeps venturing into new product categories that associates have to master, only to have them closeout six months later. Our regional manager says that our store has the highest morale in the region, yet everyone is looking for another job...

Get rid of the digital center. There's no profit, and it's a waste of the sales associate's talent. Get rid of all of these cheap little filler products, and focus on your bread and butter. Home Theater & Appliances are two categories that should be MASTERED before we try and carry any other products. We have the largest TV (and probably appliance) selection in town. Take advantage of that and USE IT for advertising. If you keep advertising cheap product, you're going to drive in cheap customers. Stop driving away traffic from the stores and encouraging web sales. Hold delivery team members responsible for their actions. If a $3000 sale is cancelled due to delivery incompetence, something should be done. Take care of your associates, we bring in the money.

is what it is

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Racine, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Racine, WI

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Ability to move up in the company if relocatable, you get paid for what you sell.

Cons

The pay sucks if the traffic sucks that's exactly what it comes down to. If you're in a high traffic stores you'll make good money, if not expect to make minimum wage.

Get involved in your associates sales and help them close, don't be lazy.

Horrible!

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at hhgregg

Pros

Honestly cannot think of any.

Cons

Managers bullying employees, racist remarks for being Caucasian, harassment, no respect, conflict of interest (hiring friends above someone who actually deserves the job)

It should not be ok for managers to bully employees or customers...

hhgregg Photos