hhgregg Reviews

Reset

1. It was an easy job once

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Bel Air, MD
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Bel Air, MD

I worked at hhgregg full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

when working for one manager you can have an easy day of doing some base work and get things done

Cons

when another manager is there you get cleaning responsibilities of everyone else with out the understanding that more jobs means more mean more time to do it. There was a manger who was so grossly incompetent he managed to turn the whole store against him. also you can work there for 4 years full time and make less then $10.00hr.

Advice to Management

If the whole store has a problem with you, including the other managers, do you think that person should stay there?

General Outlook

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

Pros

When I started, there were many pros to working for hhgregg. They talked about growth and income opportunities, but they were short lived and empty promises.

Cons

Recent changes to compensation plan for both associates and managers. Micro-managing by RMs and above. Inventory issues (not enough of what's wanted, too much of what's not).

Advice to Management

Stop and look at your company. You are trying too hard to be somebody else. You cannot take on Sears, Best Buy, Lowe's, and Home Depot. Stop trying. You need to create your own image and it had to be different. Get rid of the cheap stuff ($40 tablet, $99 television, appliance brands that nobody has heard of) and focus on being a mid level to high end retailer. Then, the small staffs in the stores will be able to operate. And let the General Managers make decisions in their locations. Stop micro managing!!

General Manager

Current Employee - General Manager in Olmsted Falls, OH
    Current Employee - General Manager in Olmsted Falls, OH

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company to work for over all.

Cons

The hours verses pay scale and bonus structure could be improved.

Advice to Management

Accept advice from current team members.

Sales Manager

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Knoxville, TN

I worked at hhgregg full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employee Discount, Bonus plan is good if you are able to hit it,ability to negotiate price to close the deal

Cons

Pay, constant changes, inventory issues, the hiring of upper level managers from failing companies, lack of actual sales training.

Advice to Management

Go back to the core values that helped hhgregg grow in the first place. Bringing in people from Sears and Radio Shack and adopting their failed policies, only hurt hhgregg. Change RMs more often to combat complacency.

Keep an eye on how busy your location is during the two week training.

Current Employee - Electronics Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Electronics Sales Associate

I have been working at hhgregg part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can made great money if you're a good sales person and your location has customers. Gives the tools to learn a lot about the products. Two-weeks of training on hourly pay. Managers care about getting things done and making sure the customers walk away happy.

Cons

No benefits for part-timers. Pay structure requires you to sell a large number of big ticket items per week, but the customer traffic means you're lucky if you sell a few Blu-Ray players and Bluetooth speakers. Draw pay system puts you in debt if you can't make sales, usually because there are no customers. No respect what-so-ever for work/life balance. You WILL work holidays. You WILL work Saturdays. The general manager mocked me for asking for my birthday off before begrudgingly agreeing to it. Hours are garbage. Expect to work regular 10 hour shifts, even as a part timer and extended hours during sales that will have you there until 10pm on a Sunday night, with the night's last customer leaving at 8pm. No warehouse workers. My location has a great warehouse guy, but he is only part-time. Expect to not just retrieve product for your customers, but also retrieve product for your co-workers' customers. Training is hilariously hands-off. I was sat at a computer for a week and a half reading Power Point presentations with no context and doing assessments that I was only able to pass using prior knowledge from 7 years of retail experience. You will go hours at a time with no customers in the store. Constant unpaid busywork including, but not limited to double checking stock, replacing price tags daily, cleaning furniture displays and carpets, cleaning and replacing signage and cleaning and stocking shelves. I have spent more time doing this busywork than I have working with customers. Constant badmouthing of the competition, including Sears and Best Buy. The computer system used for the registers is absolute trash. Manager approval is needed for just about everything, deliveries slow the transaction to a crawl and sales and discounts must be calculated manually. Sales people are expected to ring up the majority of their sales, but are not allowed to handle cash. I have been scolded for asking a CSM to ring up a sale because I could have done it myself, despite ringing up sales being a CSM's job. A complete obsession with selling service plans. You are expected to sell a service plan to every. Single. Customer. You are expected to use an info sheet to sell the services to every customer, even if it would cause that customer to walk away from the sale. You will be scolded and written up if you don't have a filled in info sheet stapled to a receipt that doesn't have a service sold. My store's management only expects it from sales over $200 (still laughably low considering the products), but company policy has this for everything, including $30 DVD players. Some of the stock is headscratching. Why are we carrying laptops with slower processors and less RAM than a cell phone? Why are we still carrying DVD players without even a component connection? Why do we have a wall of PlayStation and Xbox accessories when they never sell? Constantly tells you how lazy hourly workers are and how much better your commission pay is while downplaying the draw system that will put you in debt if your store's traffic is low.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring during June and July, you don't have the customer traffic for it. Get rid of the draw system. Your turnover is ridiculously high because you're strapping your new workers with debt because there are no customers to sell to. Stop badmouthing the competition to your employees, it comes off as desperate. Start getting hourly workers to do busywork. Commissioned sales people can be expected to do some that's relevant to making sales, but why am I wasting two hours when I walk in the door checking what displays are out? Get a more efficient and automated computer system. I'm told the current system replaced an old one. I can only DREAD what the old one was like. Even if I have to punch in discount percentages manually, why do I have to do the MATH manually?

Bad place look elsewhere

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at hhgregg part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can't really think of any.

Cons

Leadership lacks vision. The morale is low and I would recommend this place as a destination to work.

Advice to Management

Right the ship. Fix the commission and stop changing it every three months.

Manager

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Pitts, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Pitts, PA

Pros

-Value products are reasonably priced -Carry most major brands in Appliances & Electronics -Fair earning potential

Cons

As a former Manager, my position was eliminated by the company in efforts to save money. The company suffers from lack of leadership and confusion within upper management. Company profits have declined rapidly over the past 3 years and continue to fall. Its business leaders have failed to understand the importance of Competitive Business Intelligence and its benefits. Acquiring new products for sale without solidifying a base operational stand point has been adverse for the company. The company has strong contentions of "pulling the trigger" without proper planning and analysis. As a result the company has downsized massively eliminating over 100 management positions company-wide. Though it saves the company money in short term; they have failed to understand the big picture at hand. Failure to understand where they as a company can compete at its best advantages per market has and will continue to plummet company profits.

Advice to Management

*The inability to garner your best talents within your ranks is detrimental to company growth *Failure to understand that SME's (Subject Matter Experts) are critical for decision making in all aspects of company growth. *Continuing to follow a failed business model is less than admirable for any company in any industry. *Good leaders know their limitations. *Learn more about "Competitive Intelligence" with no C.I. department how do you know where your going or who is eating your lunch and is your next decision to sell a product worthwhile? ie..Fitness Equipment...

9. Not a great place

Current Employee - Sales in Holiday, FL
    Current Employee - Sales in Holiday, FL

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good people but most have left after a 40% pay cut

Cons

Less pay and it changes all the time they keep taking (I'm still there, this is a CON

Advice to Management

work in our place and you guys take pay cuts and see if your so excited then we can tell you if you don't like it hit the door

10. Company is in a death spiral

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Chesapeake, VA

Pros

Quiet work environment, free of the noise and distractions created by customers. Lots of free time to clean

Cons

Huge confusion and total lack of leadership at the top. - 4 Chief Merchandising Officers in 3 years - Chairman of the Board and last member of the founding family jumped ship - Fired and eliminated the Director of Marketing - Fired 150 Sales Managers in the field - Completely changed the compensation model in the store, leading to mass exodus and low morale - Lost 132 Million last year Other than that, it wasn't all that bad

Advice to Management

Polish up those resumes

Job for most, career for few.

Current Employee - Appliance Sales
    Current Employee - Appliance Sales

I have been working at hhgregg full-time

Pros

Employee discount, friendly co-workers, potential to make money is there if willing to live at work.

Cons

Crazy hours, lack of support staff, lack of inventory, policies/SOPs are constantly changing, commission structure works against sales staff, no accountability for customer issues.

Advice to Management

Stop reducing hours for hourly employees and forcing commissioned sales to pick up the slack. Work with buyers to assure product availability. Offer free delivery to stay competitive (no more rebates!). Corporate seems clueless as to what consumers want and what drives sales, seek input from store management/sales staff.

RSS Feed </> Embed