hhgregg

Updated December 17, 2014
2.1

hhgregg President, CEO, and Director Dennis L. May
Dennis L. May

Pros
  • Great company to work for and great opportunity to make good money (in 24 reviews)

• Decent employee discount (if the product has any money in it) (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work/life balance - Managers hired on to work 45 hours, actually end up working 55 (in 28 reviews)

• Its retail, long hours with very little reward or just enough of a reward to keep you afloat (in 56 reviews)

More Highlights

Get minimum wage for tagging the store and setting things up and get ready to pay back commission when nobody comes in..

Former Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Buford, GA
    Former Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Buford, GA

I worked at hhgregg full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good training, most managers are nice and employees know what they are talking about...

Cons

They will not put in your hours to try to get you out of draw meaning less money for you some paychecks...

Wow...That was one of the most painful jobs I have ever had

Former Employee - Electronic Sales in Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Electronic Sales in Green Bay, WI

I worked at hhgregg full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The technology was fun to interact with. The employee discount was great on some stuff. Not much else...many times the negatives would be too overwhelming

Cons

Sell 90k in a month and make minimum wage....(best in the store for that month).....Way too many non sales jobs...stay longer for tags, come in early for training, training is mostly unpaid...hard to sell when your training...and of course the most asinine pay scale I have ever seen. Stupid central management...Pretty sure that 10 people are not needed when there is a football game in town (Green Bay) Train 40 hours for cell phones and watch them get pulled out of the store the next month...Store management that have no concept of how to interact with people...It was really annoying having a good day making $200 in com and having to give it back....Health Insurance was terrible...

Ditch the horrid pay structure...How you portray landed cost has to be a lie or you have some of the most horrible buyers I know of. Give the store managers more options for setting hours and staffing levels...I always hated being in the store for three hours without a customer...Be a little more generous for volume...One percent sucks...$5500 sale should be more than $55 in my pocket...

If you like confusion and hidden job duties, this is your place to shine.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay plan for sales associates, discount and one hour lunches, wish there was more. For the most part, the sales and support staff are hard working and good people.

Cons

No clear company direction. It appears all of the former Sears executives and senior management team are now driving this company downhill as well. The upscale and premium appeal the company has announced internally isn't supported fully within the stores. However, we do have a few nice television commercials, but our stores do not embrace the same quality we are conveying to our customers. Our stores looks like a slightly (just slightly) upscale Odd Lots. You can't tell someone your different and not deliver. Speaking of delivering, it's a cluster. If the shareholders knew it took our delivery teams a minimum of two deliveries to get one item to the customer in most cases, they'd be less inclined to change the roles of every none management associate to increase the bottom line. We now have 100lb girls loading up 70 inch TV'S and refrigerators in addition to their normal customer service duties, for less hours and the same pay. Warehouse associates are now expected to be full on customer service representatives in addition to their already taxing roles, again for no additional pay and less hours. The phrase you hear, which must be a part of manager training, if you complain the least bit about being overworked for no extra pay and less hours is: "if you don't like it, you can choose to work elsewhere." How classy.

Learn to put the horse before the cart. Give the customers and associates something to look forward to at the end of the day. Remember "inspire and delight?" Let's make it more of a catch phrase. Oh yeah, stop being like every other retailer and do business the way it was intended originally. If not, continue to make videos telling your associates of all the great things to come and fail to come through. Henry Harold didn't build his business by operating this way.

What once was a great company is now appears to be crumbling.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at hhgregg

Pros

When the money is good the job is ok.

Cons

200 hours a year of unpaid training. Poor management at store level. Lack of interest in my location from corporate. Overcrowded sales floors make it hard to flourish.

Hire managers that are over 21 to manage aging sales staff. Stop overcrowding the sales floor and assign hours to associates based on sales incentives.

Worst management staff in the world, favoritism for promotions,housing sales for stupid reason,fight with co workers.

Former Employee - Electronic Sales in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Electronic Sales in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at hhgregg full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Commission used to be great now there is not much margin in the items company is hiding real buying price and profit margin to employees so employees get paid less n company can keep more money. Biweekly pay is good. If you are great at selling insurance than only you can get decent living.

Cons

Lots of stress starts with management to do work that you dont get paid on like putting out 100 tags taking old ones cleaning tables with spray like you are cleaning lady enforcing policies and. Rules about commission splits which changes everyday depending on favoritism. Negotiating prices to close sales sometimes manager gives you hard time for few bucks and after hours of work waiting in line for your turn customer walks over few bucks despite of lots of profit still in item you cant do anything coz manager mood wasn't good or he didnt like you. Managers impose there power not support for team. Worst things are housing of commission for no or silly reason after working for several hours managers house commission which means you dont get paid on exa 3000 dollar sale company still get its money manger still gets his bonus but sales person suffers. Also when it comes to spilling sales its nightmare you literally have to fight with other sales people for you hard earn money agian manager may get involve rather than helping he will choose favoritism or threatens to house sale so no one but hhgregg n him benefits. Lots of stress and lots of 10 to 12 hour shifts with flooded floor. Lot of other corny things. One more you have to get 1650 in insurance inorder to get your 22% commission or your pay check stinks. If you are good at selling insurance or if you looking for 25000 to 30000 its right company. Best ppl at hhgregg no 1 guy in eastcoast makes around 73000 a year after so get an idea if its right commission for you on interview manger will say ya you can make up to 100000 its lie. Very hard to move up in company.

Focus on employes and have some rules in place for splits in sales get rid of commission housing from employees stop robbing your employees ,stop favoritism, promote people who perform not just anyone who gm thinks he is cool lets promote him.

Underappreciation of staff

Former Employee - Customer Service Merchandiser in Mooresville, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Merchandiser in Mooresville, NC

I worked at hhgregg full-time (less than an year)

Pros

When real work had to be done, it was fine.

Cons

Lots of meaningless busy work

Give better pay and develop better planning, scheduling, and logistics.

Easy job but very little pay

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Murfreesboro, TN
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Murfreesboro, TN

I worked at hhgregg part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling if you've been there a while. Jobs are pretty easy. Commissioned salesman can make a lot of money if you don't mind stepping on some toes.

Cons

The pay is bad. Hourly associates get paid just barely above minimum wage and don't get decent raises. The raises don't even cover cost of living increases. Salaried managers are paid little compared to competitors. HHGregg used to promote from within. Now they don't do that often. The benefits are awful. Not worth even having.

One more manager per store would be ideal. Invest in your employees and they'll invest in you.

Following an outdated business model

Current Employee - Sales Associate in South Florida, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in South Florida, FL

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (more than an year)

Pros

benefits are good however they are expensive

Cons

Constant changes in policy take more and more of your commission pay. Low paying managers salaries have serious affect on quality level here. Sears downsized managers are taking over this company quickly, you see how that worked out for sears! The rats jumped ship and are sinking this one.

bringing on Zimmerman to market is great.... don't screw that up too.

One disaster after the next

I have been working at hhgregg

Pros

None. Horrible conditions. I can't wait to find another job.

Cons

Too much work that we are not paid for. No personal/sick days, you get sick you have to use vacation time. U work long hours for less pay during the holidays because the commission rates are slashed because prices are slashed for all of the door busters. U constantly have to review your pay stubs, over $500 in pay errors last year. Too long of hours, you'll close at 930 and have to be back the next day at 830. You'll be assigned 6 days a week during holidays. You'll sometimes work 9 days in a row without a day off.

I think every single person in the corporate office should be assigned to sell in a store for one month. They are so clueless. I think one month would help them maybe to understand the slavery conditions that they have created. I also find it interesting that nobody from corporate ever shows up after 5 in our store, or on a weekend.

Typical retail, high management turnover

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great working with products that fill your home, decent discount.

Cons

Bonuses are rarely made. You have to beat sales goals with declining traffic and smaller margins. No accountability by delivery, install or credit - it all falls back on the store managers who have minimal to no contact or power over those issues.

Take care of your employees- even the best associates have a hard time making a decent living. Base salary for managers should be increased even if that means lowering the bonus potential- bonuses are rarely earned -

hhgregg Photos