hibu

Updated September 19, 2014
2.7

hibu CEO David Eckert
David Eckert

Pros
  • Ability to work from home and flexible scheduling (in 12 reviews)

• Plenty of vacation time and bonuses for sales related positions, good benefits including a free (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Equating process with quality; no focus on customer needs or customer service (in 29 reviews)

• Managers under pressure to make sure new products succeed (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Short Lived

Former Employee - Website Editor  in  King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Website Editor in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at hibu full-time for more than a year

Pros

OK for a young person to get their feet wet but be warned that it could be short lived.

Cons

You work too hard for little money and the chances of company being around in a year do not look good.

We started this division from the ground up but corporate was having great deal of problems financially and decided in the end that it was not worth it. Since our layoffs in May over 3,000 people have been let go.

Great people to work with, company future bleak.

Current Employee - Department Manager
    Current Employee - Department Manager

I have been working at hibu full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great co-workers, decent pay, used to be a better place to work...

Cons

Upper management not transparent. Company not stable.

Happy Employee

I have been working at hibu full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I've worked at hibu/yellowbook almost 10 years. I've seen lots of changes during this time. Love that hibu works to have a good relevant portfolio of products that helps small business grow. My team is fantastic. I am fortunate to have a wonderful boss who truly "loves her people."

Cons

Most of us work virtual. I love the work/life balance this gives me; however, it would be nice to connect face to face with people more often. At least my team has weekly virtual meetings.

Keep up the good work. In the last year the focus has been on improving our core products and better delivery to our clients. I'm happy we're getting back to our core values after a restructure. This is a step in the right direction.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company change is moving in the right direction!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at hibu full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The PEOPLE are one of the many reasons why I love working at hibu! - Committed & Passionate. Everyone works hard, but we still have FUN. The sky is the limit at hibu....What you put in, is what you get out of your career. The people who work hard right from the beginning will see success.

Cons

There has been alot of change in the company with rightsizing our Sales Rep divisions and product suite offerings. While these changes can be viewed as negative, they were necessary to move the company in the right direction.

Love Your People! - Those you lead, and those you serve. Care more and be accountable to each other.

Feeling good about the future!

Current Employee - Telephone Sales Consultant  in  Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Telephone Sales Consultant in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at hibu full-time for more than a year

Pros

I work in telephone sales and my team and I think my region is rocking! This has been the best job I have ever had and feel great about going to work each day. I"m making more money than I ever have before and feel like I can sell just about any account I talk to a product that we offer. I also like the fact that I can focus on a few products and then utilize my digital partner to help me with the other products. Great teamwork and appreciate hibu offering this up

Cons

You really have to be on your game each day. With the productivity requirements we have if you lose focus for a day or two you will start to fall behind and results will suffer. There is real pressure to sell your digital objectives and at times that can be a bit stressful. Getting the websites built and set live can also be frustrating and has caused me some stress as well.

Keep walking the floor. We love seeing management interact with us and noticing the results that we produce. At my other jobs I never saw the upper management team interact with employees like you are....keep it up! Keep working on website issues as this product can be sold.

Great company for career growth

I have been working at hibu full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

After working for other companies that promise career growth (only by the time you get grey hairs), I was skeptical that hibu would deliver on the promise of fast career growth based on performance. I was pleasantly surprised when it happened several times in a period of less than five years. This is a company that you definitely get what you put in, in effort and reward.

Cons

No warm leads. This is a job where 'you don't hunt, you don't eat'. You wont get a lot of people calling you to schedule appointments, you have to cold call them. The good thing is that you have protected territories and a good lead system of potential clients.

Make it fun. I know it is a challenge when most of us work virtually but I believe there are elements of fun that we can share. When possible let's do team building activities.

I feel blessed to work for hibu!

I have been working at hibu full-time

Pros

I applaud the company for making the transition from print to digital advertising. I will say, it hasn't been without growing pains but you are going to experience this with any company of this size. If you like a challenge, are self-motivated and have a good attitude, hibu is a great place to work. The company offers a competitive compensation plan and I am so thankful for the great benefits.

Cons

The world is constantly changing how we do business. hibu has made some mistakes along the way (who doesn't?) but I think we are on the right track with our business strategy.

Keep your vision, listen to your employees/customers and keep striving to be the best!

Great flexibility, friendly work place, lack of direction

Current Employee - Designer
    Current Employee - Designer

I have been working at hibu full-time for more than a year

Pros

- flexible hours and location
    - room to initiate ideas and build them out

Cons

- the company is not focused on the core product
    - very ambiguous in terms of the direction the company is heading
    - lack of clear ownership and acoountability

provide clear visions of where the company is going in 3 month, 6 months, 1 year, and 5 years.

Enjoyed the Job

Current Employee - Account Executive/Media Consultant
    Current Employee - Account Executive/Media Consultant

I have been working at hibu full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Salary good. God benefits Great Co workers

Cons

Office closing due to down sizing

Business Development Rep

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at hibu full-time for less than a year

Pros

heath insurance after 30 days, 3 weeks paid training, really good suit of products

Cons

High Turnover nationwide, if you don't meet your quota, u r out, and some cases if u have several months in the company they will give you a warning of 2 to 4 weeks, and your salary is going to be reduce until you meet your monthly goal again, commissions are not great compared with their competitor.

Worked for hibu? Contribute to the Community!