hibu

hibu Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

hibu CEO David Eckert

David Eckert

Pros
  • Ability to work from home and flexible scheduling(in 12 reviews)

• Plenty of vacation time and bonuses for sales related positions, good benefits including a free(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Equating process with quality; no focus on customer needs or customer service(in 29 reviews)

• Managers under pressure to make sure new products succeed(in 28 reviews)

OMG!!... Why am I still here.

Business Development Representative (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Pros-Ipads Airs for salespeople
    -Work from home
    -Work around your home territory.
    -Free flight to Philly for 2 weeks
    -Most of the sales team has tenure( over 4 years average)
    -Lots of support maybe too much

Cons-Bankruptcy
    -Limited to 4 products to sell and only 1 is a major focus which is our worst product.
    - Manager shares too much info about personal life
    -None of my sales are happy with their service, Seriously no one. The only reason they haven't cancelled is because of recurring payments.
    -If sales has their own support hotline something must be wrong. Yet even with that nothing gets accomplished.in a timely manner
    -I feel like I've been lied too about how great this job will be and I see all my training class is gone. Even the trainer is gone. and I wonder why am I still here.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are managers for managers managers. What are you managing when people aren't getting sales. These guys have it good. No calling to fix customers issues, no cold calling to find leads or organizations we can join. They just sit around sending Group me messages twiddling their thumbs. This place is a joke.

Questionable

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI gained a lot of professional experience and worked with great people. Given chances to advance become a SME.

ConsSenior leaders making decisions without knowledge of day to day activities and the affects those decisions have. Conflicting communication by execs, say one thing do another. Job never felt secure. Little or inadequate training.

Used to be a great place to work but days are likely numbered

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) King of Prussia, PA

ProsComfortable working environment with casual dress code. Nice coworkers and friendly supportive atmosphere. Creative work spaces and conference rooms. Ability to advance career internally. Many positions allow employees to work remotely. Plenty of time afforded for personal life.

ConsNot innovative. Poor investments have created an executive carousel. Outdated sales model has too much influence on future. Some business units refuse and resist every opportunity to improve a process. Internal promotions are not rewarded with market value compensation. Product teams have zero respect for development cycles. Too many consultants pushing their own agendas. Constant feeling that your turn to get laid off is around the corner.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe ability to offer innovative products and processes is crippled by the belief that the existing sales model is a value. It's not and far too many projects have been held hostage because of sales. There's a concept there that could work but some internally philosophies need to be changed.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Along for the ride

Senior Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsThe staff and supervising managers are genuine and kind.

ConsThe phrase, "fast paced ever-changing environment" applied primarily to the rules, process changes, and what department is responsible for what action. The company is in great flux and it shows both internally and externally. The general census of the staff is that each customer is important but the processes tend to prevent the product being delivered exactly as described.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep shooting for the horizon and you'll get through the rough sea.

Decent people, though anal retentive

ProsVery honest management, to the point of being blunt, but at least you know where you stand.

ConsTechnical issues with start-up division were a nightmare that they had to constantly fix and refix. Looking only at the numbers puts a lot of pressure on employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so focused on the non-money generating numbers.

was great before the company went bankrupt and the investors took over

Development Analyst (Current Employee) King of Prussia, PA

Proswas a challenging and interesting job with great co workers and excellent work environment

Consunstable top management due to poor global financial decisions

Advice to Senior Managementcompany needs some solid direction from the top down

jack of many trades...master of none

Media Consultant (Former Employee) Joliet, IL

ProsThere are many products to offer to clients and the hours are flexible. It is a great resume builder due to the exposure to a multitude of different products. ie: SEO, SEM, Direct mail etc

ConsAfter the initial 3 weeks of training that only teaches print... ie ad sizes, bold listings etc. there is absolutely no training or assistance. Once you get back from training you are thrown to the wolves and expected to just go sell.

Advice to Senior ManagementFirer Andy Griffen

Enlightening door to door sales with a perpetually change of direction company.

Client Services Consultant (Former Employee) Amarillo, TX

ProsThe Freedom to set your own work schedule.

ConsConstantly changing contract creating/submitting program, products and pricing, and compensation package was for ever changing.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange all the cons and get a clear and precise direction.

Could have been great.

Quality Assurance Website Editor (Former Employee) King of Prussia, PA

ProsThe night shift environment was very relaxed and I was able to work at my own pace as long as I met the daily production quota by the end of the night. The pay was good for an entry-level position, and I gained valuable experience.

ConsThe lack of communication between departments was really frustrating. No one ever seemed to know exactly what to do. If you asked someone for the "official" way of doing things, they would shrug and tell you how they would do it. Stricter guidelines and better communication would have solved many issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is constantly telling employees that they want high quality products, yet they don't provide the proper tools to make this work. As a Quality Assurance Website Editor, I had to read over website copy that had been outsourced, and most times it felt like I was reading something a high school student wrote. Quantity is more important to management than quality, and it's frustrating because the product could be improved with better communication between departments and more time dedicated to getting things done right the first time. Sales reps either provide too much or too little information to build a website, and then they complain in emails to the web building team that the customer is upset because the site is nothing like they wanted. That's what happens when you have 4+ people contributing to a website whose only motivation is to work quickly and get the job out of their queue. This company could have been great, but too much emphasis is put on numbers instead of realistic ways to improve.

Great job to start, but couldn't climb out of the hole management put us in

Publication Manager (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsThe pay was great for journalists, and the office atmosphere was good. It was nice having a cafe downstairs in the building.

ConsPoor planning and management sunk the magazine division. hibu should never have hired so many field editors or expanded the number of magazines so quickly. The focus should have been on quality from the publication managers, not quantity. Also, a less ridiculous deadline schedule might have helped the PMs out - instead of bunching magazines up into one week, spread them out more. In less than six months we went from "magazines are awesome!" to getting laid off. The new execs hired in March never gave the magazine department a chance.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome careful planning instead of gangbusters expansion wold have gone a long way. Profitability isn't the be-all-and-end-all of a product.

Worked for hibu? Contribute to the Community!