hibu

Updated December 21, 2014
2.7

hibu CEO David Eckert
David Eckert

Pros
  • Office empty by 5 and had flexibility to work from home as often as I wanted (in 21 reviews)

• The work-life balance was definitely one of the few perks (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Production problems require reps to spend too much time resolving customer service issues (in 32 reviews)

• Managers under pressure to make sure new products succeed (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

overall good experience working as an Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at hibu

Pros

I liked the autonomy and having each day different. You get to meet lots of people some are nice and open to hearing what you have to offer others are rude. Lots of rejection but that's sales and you just need to move on to the next door. If you are not motivated and are hurt by rejection this is not a job for you. You can make good money if you are a good at connecting with people and follow up.

Cons

You are constantly compared to others in your office. So if your co-workers are not doing as well then it makes you look good. Lots of turnover in this job as many people just want to get paid to sit at a desk and wait for the phone to ring. If you are not selling and closing new business on a regular basis then they will show you the door.

Some of the management was inspiring and others were not. Spend more time assisting new hires to get prepared and encourage more communal goals where everyone wins.

Account Manager

I have been working at hibu full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Work Life Balance, Freedom to pursue your own business, Good Pay

Cons

Moving up in the company can be difficult given their current state. This however could change

I enjoyed my time with hibu very much!

I worked at hibu full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You were given the freedom to create your own schedule and work virtually from your home with Little to no micromanaging.

Cons

The only obstacle that continued to present itself was the lack of owning quarterly objectives for new products. Quota would be met by a rep however if the product was a fail and discontinued the rep wasn't able to count those sales toward the quarter.

Great Team, too many company/job changes

Former Employee - Website Specialist in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Website Specialist in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at hibu full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The team I worked with was great! I loved the people I worked with and my Team Leader was a great manager.

Cons

The time I was there, the company went through multiple changes and my job changed dramatically. I went from having a set list of clients, and would only work on their websites; to a more customer service position, where I was just taking phone calls all day, and only having a little bit of time to make changes to a website that would take longer than a couple minutes. Many other things changed throughout my position and the company itself that I did not like.

Can this company survive?

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at hibu full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, work from home, computer, Ipad, partnership with Google, great benefits

Cons

Unrealistic expectations to sell websites. The websites are one size fits. No one cares about the end user anymore, feels like a number and not a person. Half of the company has suffered lay offs. Even the sales force has been cut more than half. Customer service has been moved over seas. I have had the most customer complaints in the last year than I have ever had at any job. Billing is confusing to the customer and the sales rep. I had a customer tell me that "the IRS is easier to work with." Some customers were double billed. Too many products the last few years and pushed what was best for the company and not for the customer. Although, now they are focusing on 4 core products. Comp plans change at least twice a year. No clear communication about objectives. Change bonus plans so they don't have to pay them. Multiple Reporting systems that do not communicate with each other. Reporting systems cannot define exact sales numbers. Order processing and fixing issues is very difficult.

Go back to when it was a great company to work for. Go back to focusing on your employes. One reporting system. Easier and transparent billing. Realistic goals. Better products not one size fits all.

Outside Sales Rep Review

I worked at hibu

Pros

Base salary, Commission, Benefits, Bonus Opportunities. Hours are flexible.

Cons

Sales organization disguised as a digital marketing company. Over priced and sub par products make for a less than pleasant sales-rep/customer relationship after the sale. The website developers don't take pride in the work.

"Good while it lasted"

I worked at hibu full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working at hibu for a number of years. Being in the position I was in, I learned how to navigate around a computer and learn different software. I also had the opportunity to meet a lot of people and build some lasting relationships over the years. The benefits were okay for a single mother.

Cons

Lack of communication. There wasn't a lot of it between myself and management.

Treat your employees like people, not like a number or the bottom line.

ok

I worked at hibu

Pros

ok for a young buck

Cons

make sure changes are in place before letting people know after the fact

Company is in massive transition

Current Employee - Long Term Sales in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Long Term Sales in Washington, DC

I have been working at hibu full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are many great people that still work for hibu. Products are “best in class” when sold properly. The ongoing transition requires employees to exhibit patience and strong sales fundamentals.

Cons

Compensation is way down. Production problems require reps to spend too much time resolving customer service issues. Senior management is in denial. They are keeping too many VP’s from the print days. These senior level managers are not able to change from a print mentality, even though they believe they have made the change. This is causing too many middle/local managers to leave. The company is going to end up with no talent to replace these people when they leave.

bottom up, not top down.

True selling career

Current Employee - Sales in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at hibu full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people are terrific. I've worked with different types of companies and I'm surprised each time I get to work with different Sales Managers. They care, they are sharp and they want you to succeed and they help you to do this. My office talks about aptitude and attitude. They will coach all day long if your aptitude isn't quite there but you need to bring the good attitude.

Cons

The product focused has been challenging but it's recently been focused to some core products. We went from 20+ products to focusing on only 7. The original company values were spot on but since ownership has changed hands, we don't have a clear company message and this challenges motivation at times.

Keep up the enthusiasm and work on a cohesive message that we promote like the old days. Let's bring back the old core values or build some revamped/new ones to continue providing the user/customer driven message.