hibu

Updated November 22, 2014
2.8

hibu CEO David Eckert
David Eckert

Pros
  • Office empty by 5 and had flexibility to work from home as often as I wanted (in 22 reviews)

• Excellent working conditions, work-life balance encourages with wellbeing - use of the hibu gym (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor planning and lack of sufficient training leads to poor customer service for hibu clients (in 32 reviews)

• Managers under pressure to make sure new products succeed (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Company is in massive transition

Current Employee - Long Term Sales in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Long Term Sales in Washington, DC

I have been working at hibu full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are many great people that still work for hibu. Products are “best in class” when sold properly. The ongoing transition requires employees to exhibit patience and strong sales fundamentals.

Cons

Compensation is way down. Production problems require reps to spend too much time resolving customer service issues. Senior management is in denial. They are keeping too many VP’s from the print days. These senior level managers are not able to change from a print mentality, even though they believe they have made the change. This is causing too many middle/local managers to leave. The company is going to end up with no talent to replace these people when they leave.

bottom up, not top down.

True selling career

Current Employee - Sales in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at hibu full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people are terrific. I've worked with different types of companies and I'm surprised each time I get to work with different Sales Managers. They care, they are sharp and they want you to succeed and they help you to do this. My office talks about aptitude and attitude. They will coach all day long if your aptitude isn't quite there but you need to bring the good attitude.

Cons

The product focused has been challenging but it's recently been focused to some core products. We went from 20+ products to focusing on only 7. The original company values were spot on but since ownership has changed hands, we don't have a clear company message and this challenges motivation at times.

Keep up the enthusiasm and work on a cohesive message that we promote like the old days. Let's bring back the old core values or build some revamped/new ones to continue providing the user/customer driven message.

Turnaround

Current Employee - Anonymous in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at hibu full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company is strengthening financially. Over diversification is now back under control. Wasteful spending has been curtailed. Better work life balance now

Cons

Revenues have not yet rebounded. Spectre of layoffs continually hangs over the business. People viewed as more expendable today than in past.

Put a better financial rewards plan together. Unfreeze promotions

Great people, growth potential

Former Employee - National Account Executive in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - National Account Executive in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at hibu full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing Co-workers, room for advancement, great benefits

Cons

Non-centralized leadership making decisions for the US division

Allow the US division to make decisions for themselves

Helping Businesses Every Day Grow Their Sales Is A lot Of Fun!

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in West Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in West Fargo, ND

I have been working at hibu full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Having the latest and greatest most wanted products in today's market place to help business grow their sales is very fun and rewarding.

Cons

Can't say I have any, i have fun every day going to work and look forward to it!

Went from a decent corporate job to down the tubes - I'll be surprised if they survive

Former Employee - Sales Consultant - Then BDR in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant - Then BDR in Seattle, WA

I worked at hibu full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Freedom to set your own schedule most of the time as a sales rep. Ipad air supplied, Cell phone, gas & Printer allowance, all of which ends up at a sub standard base of $38 K for a sales rep. Used to have good commissions (not now) and good clients. Cannot hold any of them any more, as phone book advertising is dropping off, and their internet products are crap. Fulfillment issues, copy-writing issues, unrealistic sales quotas, inevitable fear of being fired for not hitting quota, not a long term position any more.

Basically, a yellow pages company that has tried (highly unsuccessfully, unfortunately for their clients and reps) to seque into the digital world, too little, too late, too inefficiently, with horrible results.

As a star sales rep who won their presidents club trip in 2008 during my first full year working with the company in 2007 & 2008, I have been sad to see the decline. The management have always been out of touch, but now are just a bunch of fools, playing CYA, trying to hold onto their jobs as long as they can while the ship sinks.

Complete mis-management by all the top management teams of the last 4 years (since founder Joe Walsh left) and inability to make the company change to follow the lip service they give, has lead to a company I expect to see sold or split up any time. Currently owned and being mis-managed by their investors. Soon to be gone I would bet.

Cons

Toxic work environment. Fear based corporate culture. Currently implementing even MORE micromanagement tools in the form of Salesforce CRM system. Don't walk RUN from this job!!!

I have seen more toxic environments to work in, but not many. Money sucks. Even if you hit your quotas, blah blah blah, when it comes time for them to pay your bonuses, they always find a way to "disqualify a sale" missed a date, or some other wrinkle that allows you to be shafted for your bonuses.

If I worked 70 -80 hours a week, and had no life whatever, I made $80 1 year, when Yellow Pages were still making people money. After that, it has been a $50k a year job, no matter how hard you work at it, or what you do. Corporate systems and fulfillment as well as corporate culture are so bad, all the good people have left or been fired.

When I started in 2007 there were between 5000-6000 reps and managers in sales in the USA alone. Now down to less than 2000, and shrinking.

Has always been a "revolving door" for sales reps, my entire 7.5 years. I was one of the toughest ones, to hang in for 7 years, 6 months.

I learned a lot about consultative selling, good training at times. but an awful lot of corporate BS, being lied to, having the story changed every month, or less, etc. If you are a self starter (I am) smart, tech savvy, and care about your clients business (Ethical sales person) you will end up having a problem with this job, sooner or later. Most likely sooner.

Consider this a starter level - entry level sales position. If you hit your numbers, you will be ok, and can have fun. Don't hit your numbers (which are highly unrealistic) you will be fired. DO NOT TAKE A DIGITAL ONLY "BDR" (business development rep) position. They can't produce the websites you are supposed to sell 6 of a month to make quota, and you DON'T GET PAID your commissions until the site goes live. Takes months, which most clients won't put up with so they cancel. Account Managers positions just had their commissions cut in half nationwide, and given twice as many accounts to handle, which is not physically possible. Overwhelmed and no support all the time.

SEM and SEO are all BS and highly ineffective compared to dollars spent. Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, so nothing gets done, and the clients suffer, then cancel. Yellow pages still work for some clients, and make some money. They have absolutely NO Handle on implementing actual digital solutions for their clients, sense of responsibility for their clients business, or any ethics whatsoever on a corporate level.

As I said above, all the best people I have known in my 7.5 years there are already gone, the rest CYA'- ing and holding on for dear life until they get a better job, or get fired.

Walk the walk don't just talk the talk. The managers I had who would actually go out and make a sale, help a new rep, and take care of clients business (supposed to be their job) are all gone, or retired, or have quit.

Honestly, my gut is telling me the investors who are now in charge of the company are setting it up to sell off somehow, if they could ever find a buyer. Ride the train as long as you can, but you wont live long I'll bet.

Large sales reductions and services moving overseas

Current Employee - Media Sales Representative in East Sumter, SC
    Current Employee - Media Sales Representative in East Sumter, SC

I have been working at hibu full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent at the digital services provided but the business owner or decision maker needs to be actively involved in defining and monitoring programs.

Cons

For US customers everything is being outsourced to Philippines and India. There is a very big gap in overseas personal understanding simple business terms. Website content and images can actually be comical.

Too much uncertainty.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at hibu (more than 5 years)

Pros

Laid back environment, great people to work with. The work-life balance was definitely one of the few perks.

Cons

Bankruptcy, recent changes in executive management and the multiple rounds of layoffs in the past year should make anyone fearful applying for any positions within the company.

Let your employees know they are more than a number to you.

Great place to gain sales experience...but that's it

Former Employee - Business Development Representative
    Former Employee - Business Development Representative

I worked at hibu (more than an year)

Pros

There where only a few: flexibility and gas/phone allowance.

Cons

Low base salary, turn over, horrible reputation, fulfillment issues, yellowbook management trying to run a digital company

Stop with the scare tactics and start managing

One of the worst jobs I've ever had.

Former Employee - Website Specialist in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Website Specialist in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at hibu full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good hours & overtime, on-site cafeteria, landscaping

Cons

Company is failing, you can get the product free online, the communication is so poor that one hand has no idea what the other is doing, 30 minute lunches, ever changing goal posts.

Get it figured out, lots of good people depend on you for their bread and butter.