hibu

Updated October 30, 2014
2.8

hibu CEO David Eckert
David Eckert

Pros
  • Office empty by 5 and had flexibility to work from home as often as I wanted (in 22 reviews)

• Excellent working conditions, work-life balance encourages with wellbeing - use of the hibu gym (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor planning and lack of sufficient training leads to poor customer service for hibu clients (in 32 reviews)

• Managers under pressure to make sure new products succeed (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

One of the worst jobs I've ever had.

Former Employee - Website Specialist in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Website Specialist in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at hibu full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good hours & overtime, on-site cafeteria, landscaping

Cons

Company is failing, you can get the product free online, the communication is so poor that one hand has no idea what the other is doing, 30 minute lunches, ever changing goal posts.

Get it figured out, lots of good people depend on you for their bread and butter.

Must be willing to adapt as the company transitions into the digital space

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at hibu full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great managers who care, great training and tools given to succeed.

Cons

Transitioning into the digital space eequires patience, hard wirk and adaptability

Stay focused on creating a great culture moving forward.

Best career choice I've ever made

Current Employee - Account Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at hibu full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Love the support team and the freedom to work without being chained to a desk!
    Your success is recognized and rewarded...flexible work weeks makes for a well balanced home. Great pay.

Cons

If you don't like to drive...this isn't the job for you. However, you will get used it and then look forward to the windshield time. Great time to think.

Keep leading by example.
    Love my manager...encouraging and helpful at all times.

Flexible, Great money potential, Stressful at times and you MUST hit your goals!

Current Employee - Account Executive/Media Consultant in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive/Media Consultant in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at hibu full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Ability to work from home with a virtual office. Hours can be flexible and the benefits are great. Bonus potentials are good and expectatios are fair. A nice portfolio of products to sell and the company seems to be making smart decisions to grow in the right direction with more digital products as the printed phone books are in obvious decline. I love my job and have been with the company over 10 years. Management is good and i am very happy with my income potential. We have a great team and everyone supports everyone. They give you laptops, ipads with internet a base salary, commision and basic expenses with nice quarterly bonus potentials

Cons

More and more details and follow up are required with this job. Experiencing some very real transition changes that can be frustrating. Training is all virtual so you must teach yourself for the most part. Quarterly goals are an absolute so you MUST hit them. There has been a lot of turnover primarily from those not hitting there goals as they are very much attainable but you have to put in the work. Virtual is good but since all the local office closed it can be a little lonely and you must be able to work on your on...solve your own problems and keep yourself motivated. Expenses like customer lunches are not paid. Reversals and chargebacks are never fun

Training needs to be improved. Although there are plenty of virtual sessions, meeting in person is a welcome change. Meetings tend to always be about numbers and others results. Use that time to help solve real issues and when you say you will get an answer - please get it. It is frustrating trying to get things within our company solved and it seems like great ideas start but are not always finished. Otherwise the management team provides a healthy positive environment.

Terrific Sales Environment

Current Employee - Media Consultant in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Media Consultant in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at hibu full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunity for healthy income, Great training, Terrific Co-workers

Cons

This position is not for everyone.

Well taken care of

Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER
    Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER

I have been working at hibu full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you perform well at hibu, there is a lot of opportunity for promotions. Just be sure to mention to your manager what direction you want to go in with the company.

Cons

The restructure of the rolls has been a bit rough, but we are definitely making positive headway!

Keep up the high bonuses for new business contests.

Over promise, under deliver

I worked at hibu full-time

Pros

Good opportunity for a first sales job - to get your feet wet. Great training program in theory, you learn a lot, but the practical application of training isn't there.

Cons

This company has so many internal problems that no employee can trust them. One minute your getting a significant salary bump and iPads and the next, they're doing massive layoffs. The manage by fear - and the current management in place has no idea how to actually sell the products they push.

hibu is a place of cliques and false promises. I'd suggest being realistic with your sales force - if you don't treat them well, you won't have a company. The secrets and uncertainty create fear, and that's the reason the turnover is so high in all markets

Wonderful, except for the core product that is available.

Current Employee - Business Development Executive
    Current Employee - Business Development Executive

I have been working at hibu full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great training, great benefits, ability to work from home. A fairly progressive company in regards to their social beliefs. A very positive company.

Cons

Sub-par website product that is nearly impossible to sell in a competitive market. A quota for that product is strictly enforced. It's a basic website that basically anyone could do for free.

This company is in trouble

I worked at hibu full-time

Pros

The company had some great things in place. Salary, benefits, were both good. Training was really good. The digital products are top notch, very affordable and any business would be good to use hibu for their advertising.

Cons

The Yellowpages industry is changing There were severe cuts made to adjust to this and jobs were restructured. The new way they do things is causing a lot of good people to fail and lose their jobs. There are some that will succeed, and be paid very well for it, but more will/are failing.

people are not disposable

Short Lived

Former Employee - Website Editor in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Website Editor in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at hibu full-time (more than an year)

Pros

OK for a young person to get their feet wet but be warned that it could be short lived.

Cons

You work too hard for little money and the chances of company being around in a year do not look good.

We started this division from the ground up but corporate was having great deal of problems financially and decided in the end that it was not worth it. Since our layoffs in May over 3,000 people have been let go.