hibu

hibu Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

hibu CEO David Eckert

David Eckert

Pros:
  • "Hibu has been a great place for me to work and I couldn't recommend it highly enough"
    in 17 reviews
  • "They are always introducing new products to sell that customers need"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "Rush new products out to get money into the business before they are fully 100% tested"
    in 26 reviews
  • "everything from customer service to clients to products"
    in 21 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

In Transition - Major Uncertainty Ahead

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at hibu full-time for less than a year

ProsThe people - obviously depending on what group or department you are in matters - and every company has stars and dogs. In my experience - dealing with senior leaders - they are welcoming, friendly, and open to new ideas.

ConsLegacy products and resistance to certain types of change haunt the company and can cause frustration and/or delays in deliverables. Decision by committee also has trickle-down effects that reduces everyone's ability to make a difference.

Advice to Senior ManagementDouble down on people - getting them engaged and investing in them professionally. Cost cuts are inevitable - but those that remain should be and are your greatest asset. Do whatever you can to nurture and retain those people.

Also - the company is moving to digital - actual physical location should not matter whatsoever.

They dont know what they wanna be when they grow up !!!

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Portland, OR

I worked at hibu full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat energy good company to work for fun enviroment.Had lot of fun and lots of sucsess when they were Yellowbook

ConsContrary to what upper management says the company has seen its best days. At one time they were the best at what they did now they are so far behind its hard to a path to recovery.
When I went to cash out my stocks after 8 yrs and the transaction fee was more than stock was worth .... not good

Advice to Senior ManagementFugure out what you want to be

Work hard, earn money

Account Representative/Media Consultant (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at hibu full-time for less than a year

ProsUncapped commission and many bonus opportunities. Sales managers are helpful as they depend on you to succeed. Training is ongoing and is always available to review.

ConsProduct focus has been an issue. Managers under pressure to make sure new products succeed. This is overwhelming for sales reps trying to meet the ever changing expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am very happy the decision was made to focus on the core digital products. Don't make the mistake of outsourcing all the website support. Customers will not like their calls being taken overseas.

Doing Anything to survive

I have been working at hibu full-time for more than 5 years

ProsUsed to be a fun environment to work in. may come back at some point The path we are taking is a very hard and difficult one to take. but If it works we may just survive

Conslots of uncertainty. large layoff that just devastated the company headcount and morale in the company. Makes everyone uneasy about working here but a job is a job and i have been in worse situations

Playing catch up

I have been working at hibu full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood culture because of the people that work here

ConsMy mother taught me if I don't have anything good to say, not to say anything at all. There are worse places to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's obvious you don't have it figured out. Get educated on what you are actually trying to sell, solve your potential clients problems and realize what your position is in the market.

Great

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Iowa City, IA

I have been working at hibu full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat pay, good commision structure. Mangement wants you to win.

ConsThey need to figure out who they are. Internet company or a yellow page company

A great place to work and make a decent living.

Media Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Boynton Beach, FL

I have been working at hibu full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat trainers, uncapped commissions. Sales Reps have the opportunity to learn a lot about digital advertising.

ConsThe name Hibu is still unknown. Fierce competition.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on developing the Hibu brand.

QA

QA Engineer (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

I have been working at hibu as a contractor for less than a year

Prosreally relax here as the all the people in the team are Chinese.

ConsI need to learn all the things by myself. Almost no training at all.

Circling the drain

Web Content Writer (Former Employee)
King of Prussia, PA

I worked at hibu full-time for more than a year

ProsThe salary, paid holidays, some pleasant people

ConsThe beginning of the end was probably when the British bought Yellowbook. The company's fate is tied to the dying phone book, no matter how hard it tries otherwise. When the phone book goes, so will hibu. Sales reps don't understand the websites they are selling, and they gave the copywriters little useful information with which to write the sites. Copywriters then had to resort to the same generic clichés on each page, writing cookie-cutter sites. trying to meet a production quota. No job security - they overhired, then laid most people off when they still lost money. To save money, the company outsourced, both to online freelancers and overseas, with a resulting drop in quality. The Web content is now being written in India.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on a quality product made locally instead of making sites on the cheap. Have copywriters on site, interviewing customers again to get them the content they want. Train the sales reps better so they actually understand their product.

Not good - getting worse

Project Manager (Current Employee)
King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at hibu full-time

ProsLocally, good people. Newer software tech savey folks want to bring in industry best-practices, and have.

ConsCulture, culture, culture. They, the company simply doesn't get it. Way too much drama and not enough solid engineering. Doomed to failure.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the culture. Takes more than grand speeches and town-hall meetings. Actions speak louder than words, kids.

Worked for hibu? Contribute to the Community!

hibu Videos

hibu – Why Work for Us?

We employ more than 12,000 people across the UK, US, Spain, Argentina, Chile, Peru, India and the Philippines. Our global operating structure is organised around global business units, local geographies and shared… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at hibu reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for hibu CEO David Eckert. All 425 reviews posted anonymously by hibu employees.