hibu

hibu Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

hibu CEO David Eckert

David Eckert

Pros:
  • "Hibu has been a great place for me to work and I couldn't recommend it highly enough"
    in 20 reviews
  • "They are always introducing new products to sell that customers need"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "Managers under pressure to make sure new products succeed"
    in 27 reviews
  • "everything from customer service to clients to products"
    in 23 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great job to start, but couldn't climb out of the hole management put us in

Publication Manager (Former Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsThe pay was great for journalists, and the office atmosphere was good. It was nice having a cafe downstairs in the building.

ConsPoor planning and management sunk the magazine division. hibu should never have hired so many field editors or expanded the number of magazines so quickly. The focus should have been on quality from the publication managers, not quantity. Also, a less ridiculous deadline schedule might have helped the PMs out - instead of bunching magazines up into one week, spread them out more. In less than six months we went from "magazines are awesome!" to getting laid off. The new execs hired in March never gave the magazine department a chance.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome careful planning instead of gangbusters expansion wold have gone a long way. Profitability isn't the be-all-and-end-all of a product.

Enlightening door to door sales with a perpetually change of direction company.

Client Services Consultant (Former Employee)
    Amarillo, TX

ProsThe Freedom to set your own work schedule.

ConsConstantly changing contract creating/submitting program, products and pricing, and compensation package was for ever changing.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange all the cons and get a clear and precise direction.

A sinking ship that can't correct it's course

Digital Support Specialist (Current Employee)
    King of Prussia, PA

ProsCo-workers who genuinely care and will help you whenever you need assistance, solid training program

ConsWhere to begin? Ever since Hibu was taken over in March, our new president has been two-faced from the start, first promising bold new ventures but only to follow up with massive layoffs. Sales reps aren't trained properly and spend more time on the phones than actually doing their jobs and, even then, some reps will bully you and treat you like you're their lap dog. Upper management could care less about making an impact in the market and seem okay with lousy products that customers don't want. Customers are grumpy because no one department communicates with the other.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. Those who are left have been here WAY longer than you and know what is right for the company. By then, there not even BE a Hibu anymore.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Could have been great.

Quality Assurance Website Editor (Former Employee)
    King of Prussia, PA

ProsThe night shift environment was very relaxed and I was able to work at my own pace as long as I met the daily production quota by the end of the night. The pay was good for an entry-level position, and I gained valuable experience.

ConsThe lack of communication between departments was really frustrating. No one ever seemed to know exactly what to do. If you asked someone for the "official" way of doing things, they would shrug and tell you how they would do it. Stricter guidelines and better communication would have solved many issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is constantly telling employees that they want high quality products, yet they don't provide the proper tools to make this work. As a Quality Assurance Website Editor, I had to read over website copy that had been outsourced, and most times it felt like I was reading something a high school student wrote. Quantity is more important to management than quality, and it's frustrating because the product could be improved with better communication between departments and more time dedicated to getting things done right the first time. Sales reps either provide too much or too little information to build a website, and then they complain in emails to the web building team that the customer is upset because the site is nothing like they wanted. That's what happens when you have 4+ people contributing to a website whose only motivation is to work quickly and get the job out of their queue. This company could have been great, but too much emphasis is put on numbers instead of realistic ways to improve.

Do yourself a favor. Keep looking....

Associate (Former Employee)
    King of Prussia, PA

ProsOnce a great company to work for. Now a pathetic shell of its former self. There are truly no Pros that can outweigh the Con of working for a company that is going out of business.

ConsThe company is failing. The hibu digital and print products are failing. The finance receivables department is like a morgue. Positions are continuously being eliminated or outsourced overseas. Everyone is terrified of losing their job. Most of the employees with tenure are only staying with the hopes of receiving a severance package.

Advice to Senior ManagementChoose your own path. Forget the severance that you may or may not receive. Leave now. It is better to walk before they make you run.

Great staff, poor management

Web Associate (Current Employee)
    Reading, England (UK)

Prossocial environment, relaxed atmosphere, flexible hours through annualised hours.

ConsPoor senior management decisions made that impact the day to day workings at ground level. Little communication from senior management with those actually working in operations. Too much emphasis is given to sales team who often oversell the product. Disparity between departments. A strong blame culture is subjected to those at the bottom when things go wrong and little praise is given when individuals / teams over preform. Product devalued by off shoring content and design.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore time needs to be spent listening to those that fulfil the operations roles. Processes need to be improved, but currently so much emphasis is put on fulfilling processes, staff struggle to enjoy the creative aspects of the role. Potentially the product could be a market leader but it's devalued by being passed around too many departments. Software available means that the design of websites could be fulfilled in the UK if the operatives were given the correct training.

Be very cautious. Do your research. Facts don't lie.

Account Executive/Media Consultant (Current Employee)

Pros1) you will meet great people that you will work with everyday. I have been here for over five years and I have made some great friends.
    2) it's a sales job so you will be given enough rope, for people with no experience it can be detrimental because of lack of management support.
    3)print is ironically still viable in some markets with good call counts.
    4) AM's can do very well, but those positions aren't hired anymore.

ConsWhere to begin...
    1) There is no clear message on what the big plan is. Every week it tends to change.
    2) With the bank owning the company you don't know if your job is secure- big push for websites, makes me believe we might be sold to the highest bidder.
    3) You are just a number- it's a sales job.( not a negative, but a fact). They make this very clear to you.
    4)There is no care of quality of a sale, they just want you to sell anything to anyone- in many cases not what's good for the customer.
    5) HORRIBLE CLIENT SUPPORT- customer service is a nightmare.
    6)Extremely high turn over. highest I have seen in my 21 year profesional career. The new business model makes it impossible for these new hires to succeed. Bonus's for these new hires are non existent in many cases.
    7) After training I received zero support. My first email was, " I'm sure you have family or friends who own a business; go sell them today"

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect what you have before all the good ones leave. Do what's right for the customer, stop pushing reps to sell programs that don't work just to get your numbers.

Leaderless, directionless company with no strategy and virtually no ability to execute.

ProsBeing given an out of date computers with buggy versions of Sharepoint, Lync and commonly dropping networks
    No ability to administer your own computer because the IT department doesn't trust employees
    Enjoying the fun of being in meetings over the phone with 25 or more people
    Decisions (or lack their of) by committee
    Watching the company repeat its same mistakes again and again

ConsComplete lack of executive communication to employees
    Complete lack of executive presence
    Very little expertise by leadership with the chosen future product lines the company is betting on
    A strategy based on outsourcing everything to third parties, contractors and offshore teams while relying on a sales org that doesn't understand the basics of the product they are selling
    No understanding of competitive differentiation, market potential, value of various customer targets
    Ever changing, poorly defined priorities
    No clear definition of organizational responsibilities/charters - sales doing ops, ops doing technology, technology doing product, non-existent marketing vs. sales doing sales, ops doing ops, technology doing technology, etc.
    No technical or business architecture
    No alignment among leadership or departments; many organizations going rogue, focusing on their own personal agenda.
    No measurement, KPIs or accountability on sales organization, rather a focus on discounting
    No sense of urgency
    Equating process with quality; no focus on customer needs or customer service.
    No understanding of what customers are profitable and which are not.
    Acceptance of mediocrity.
    Misallocation of resources, particularly technical and marketing resources with focus on depreciating assets and business lines vs. business lines that could provide opportunity for growth.
    An operation that repeats tasks again and again because of the application of low skills to tasks that in turn leads to higher costs and lower productivity.
    A technical process that would make waterfall look good
    Not-invented here syndrome
    Staff that is generally encumbered by hours of meetings with dozens of people whom much all agree in order for anything to be agreed / accomplished - and who generally don't.
    Many people stifled into inaction.
    No one questioning why things aren't improving after months and months
    No ability to execute.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpin new product line off into completely separate organization with its own GM with sales force, operations, technology and product organization that report to GM only who owns full P&L.

Take sales out of the leadership role.

Build a strategy on differentiation and unique customer value

Stop trying to boil the ocean - focus on high value segments and products

Build quality first - then scale, not the other way around

Define important milestones and get everyone aligned to work on accomplishing them

Focus on doing a few things well.

Hold leaders accountable

Right size the organization

Focus on execution

Digital Sales Rep

ProsGood base salary and benefits. Great training.

ConsNothing is consistent. Changing constantly and causing upset with customers. Bad communication internally. Stressful to meet impossible quotas.

Along for the ride

Senior Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsThe staff and supervising managers are genuine and kind.

ConsThe phrase, "fast paced ever-changing environment" applied primarily to the rules, process changes, and what department is responsible for what action. The company is in great flux and it shows both internally and externally. The general census of the staff is that each customer is important but the processes tend to prevent the product being delivered exactly as described.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep shooting for the horizon and you'll get through the rough sea.

Worked for hibu? Contribute to the Community!

hibu Videos

hibu – Why Work for Us?

We employ more than 12,000 people across the UK, US, Spain, Argentina, Chile, Peru, India and the Philippines. Our global operating structure is organised around global business units, local geographies and shared… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at hibu reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for hibu CEO David Eckert. All 510 reviews posted anonymously by hibu employees.