hibu Reviews

Account Management

Former Employee - Account Executive/Media Consultant in Idaho Falls, ID
    Former Employee - Account Executive/Media Consultant in Idaho Falls, ID

I worked at hibu

Pros

Great Schedule and good pay!

Cons

Horrible sales plan, Horrible upper management, bad customer service

Advice to Management

Pull your heads out and learn to sell what you preach.

A company trying to change a little too late

I have been working at hibu full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Potential for good income, the ability too be your own boss as long as you are performing to meet company standards

Cons

Processes for client retention are very poor. Bonus structure does not align with sales objectives. You are simply a number and not a person

Advice to Management

Focus on quality before trying to obtain quantity. Have a superior product that can be cost justified. Treat sales reps as people and not numbers on a spreadsheet

Account Manager

Former Employee - Account Executive in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Madison, WI

I worked at hibu full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits and pay was great. You also have a lot of flexibility with being virtual and not having an office to go to.

Cons

I loved the company for 4 years, but then the company changed. They are concentrating on website, Online Display ads, SEM and SEO. If you are interested in selling that, you could have a chance at this company. Even though the print (Yellowbook) is doing good and paying most of the company's bills, they want you to forget about the book and only sell internet. They have very unrealistic goals which you have to meet or will be fired. Southern Wisconsin went from over 35 reps 5 years ago to 6 reps and they are not hiring for sales for the book, only internet.

Advice to Management

Figure out where you are going, or the company will be gone!

A great career while it lasted.

I worked at hibu

Pros

Learned so much, some awesome people and loved helping customers grow their business.

Cons

Very political. Saw to many lower their standards to get a promotion. Very sad to see a great company fall apart.

Advice to Management

Get to know your people better at the sales level. Listen to what the customer wants...

Challenging Environment

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at hibu full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexibility, Competitive Pay, Great Training. Our digital products (websites, search engine marketing and online display) have come a long way at a great price point.

Cons

In a major transition necessary to meet financial obligations. Loss of great management and replacement of U.S.-based colleagues/customer service to offshore employees. Difficult to solve issues promptly by on-shore veterans.

Advice to Management

Increased support and morale boosting efforts. Greater ability to directly communicate with knowledgeable, experienced colleagues that can solve problems promptly.

Management varies regionally, as does company culture.

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at hibu

Pros

progressive in the media space

Cons

print media facing a challenging decline

Very Unstable Company

Former Employee - Web Editor in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Web Editor in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at hibu full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the relaxed, collegiate-style atmosphere. All my co-workers were helpful, friendly, and cooperative. Lower-level management was pleasant to deal with -- upper-level management left little to be desired.

Cons

I was hired with a group of about 25 people and we were laid off with over 200 employees 2 months later. There was a SERIOUS disconnect between upper-level management and all other employees / departments. We would frequently receive scathing emails from people we knew by name only, and who had no clue what our job actually entailed.

This company is a classic case of the "left hand not knowing what the right is doing." In my 2-month stint, I held 3 different job titles. There would be a change of procedure literally every 2 weeks -- I'm not exaggerating. Just when we would learn a new system or procedure, it would change...again. I've never experienced such instability anywhere else.

Advice to Management

Nothing. They clearly don't care about anything but the bottom line. It's nauseating to contemplate how they treated their employees. Why would you hire an entire class of employees only to lay them off 2 months later??

Account Manager/Executive

Current Employee - Account Manager/Executive in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Account Manager/Executive in Denver, CO

I have been working at hibu (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexibility, benefits, getting to see different parts of the area while you travel for outside markets.

Cons

Being required to sell obsolete products or products that are absolutely not of the highest quality. Fulfillment of products is a nightmare, focus is less on selling and more on attaining lofty goals that about 3% of the sales force actually attains. In the old days when print was the primary source of leads for our clients, this was a fantastic job. The pay was great and it was really fun. As they have reduced our commissions year over year, I have watched my pay decline along with the sense of joy I once had. My role consists of putting out fires I never created and building websites. Last time I checked I was a sales person, not a web designer.
    I have absolutely come to hate calling into customer service- it's ludicrous! My average call time to fix an issue is over 1 hour. I can't imagine what my client's experiences are.
    Because so many of my clients know me as their Yellowbook rep, I hold almost no credibility in the digital marketing world. Most of my clients have had a different rep every year, so there's no real "buy in" for them to do business with me- no actual relationship. My pay and ability to keep my job is based on selling digital products, so you can imagine how demoralizing it is to walk in the door to help people be found on Google, only to be told "we don't want the phone book any more!'. Their online reviews are terrible so they have asked the sales force to come to their rescue by soliciting our clients to write great reviews about us online. That initiative has been a flop because people don't think we are doing a good job as a company! If people wanted to write a positive review, it would be about me, not hibu. I think people only do business with me because they like me or they feel like they don't have a choice. In other words, they are not buying from me because they think it's a good marketing investment.
    I think this company is setting itself up to be sold and they don't care at all about their reps. All they care about is paying off their massive debt by selling yellow pages and very, very bad websites.

Advice to Management

Rather than focusing solely on the revenue, something has to be fixed in product fulfillment. You can sell something, but if the client won't pay the bill because the product they were promised is a disappointment, or is just shoddy, then you didn't deserve the revenue in the first place. Please, for the love of all that is good, stop having your reps build websites!!! I know you said that we would now have a third party interview the client, but it still all falls in the rep's lap. Our job is to sell and your job is to make us successful in sales- don't forget that. If you're supportive and a great manager, you will have great sales people that will help you succeed as well. If all you care about is your bonus, you will only pressure and berate your rep into selling. Being afraid all the time and being a high-achieving sales rep- well, the two just don't go together. Stop raising the expectations! If we couldn't attain so many website/digital sales in 2014, why would you add more to it in 2015?
    Bring integrity back to this once-great company by delivering a better, less expensive product than the competition- emphasis on BETTER. We were able to do that when Joe Walsh took over as CEO and those were our years we had the most growth and were the most successful.
    AND!! Last, but not least, take care of your sales people. They are the ONLY reason you have a paycheck.

Ok for starter position, not a career.

Current Employee - Business Development in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Business Development in Portland, OR

I have been working at hibu

Pros

Good base pay, good training, & knowledge of Google Adwords!

Cons

Websites don't always work, & take up too much of the Sales Reps time. Also billing, & customer service are major problems. Often times my client's receive a bill that is 1 & 1/2 times what I quoted them. I have no confidence in handing off my clients to customer service. I would rather call in myself, & save them from the experience. Also they have laid off, & demoted several managers over the last year. So their is no room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Focus on the customer first not the company first. Also focus on quality of sales not quantity! By a new billing system, train customer service to think customer service first.

Client Services Consultant to BDR. Digital Sales Rep

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at hibu full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some freedom to work from home and set your own schedule. I pad Air and Work laptop supplied. Cell phone and Printer / Ink allowance for home office supplies. All together adds up to sub-standard base salary of $38K a year. Used to have good commissions (not now) and good clients. Cannot hold any of them anymore, as phone book advertising is dropping off, and their internet products are crap. Fulfillment issues, copy-writing issues, unrealistic sales quotas, inevitable fear of being fired for not hitting quota, not a long term position any more.

Cons

Basically, a yellow pages company that has tried (highly unsuccessfully, unfortunately for their clients and reps) to seque into the digital world, too little, too late, too inefficiently, with horrible results.
    As a star sales rep who won their presidents club trip in 2008 during my first full year working with the company in 2007 & 2008, I have been sad to see the decline. The management have always been out of touch, but now are just a bunch of fools, playing CYA, trying to hold onto their jobs as long as they can while the ship sinks.
    Complete mis-management by all the top management teams of the last 4 years (since founder Joe Walsh left) and inability to make the company change to follow the lip service they give, has lead to a company I expect to see sold or split up any time. Currently owned and being mis-managed by their investors. Soon to be gone I would bet.
    Cons Toxic work environment. Fear based corporate culture. Currently implementing even MORE micromanagement tools in the form of Salesforce CRM system. Don't walk RUN from this job!!!
    I have seen more toxic environments to work in, but not many. Money sucks. Even if you hit your quotas, blah blah blah, when it comes time for them to pay your bonuses, they always find a way to "disqualify a sale" missed a date, or some other wrinkle that allows you to be shafted for your bonuses.
    If I worked 70 -80 hours a week, and had no life whatever, I made $80 1 year, when Yellow Pages were still making people money. After that, it has been a $50k a year job, no matter how hard you work at it, or what you do. Corporate systems and fulfillment as well as corporate culture are so bad, all the good people have left or been fired.
    When I started in 2007 there were between 5000-6000 reps and managers in sales in the USA alone. Now down to less than 2000, and shrinking.
    Has always been a "revolving door" for sales reps, my entire 7.5 years. I was one of the toughest ones, to hang in for 7 years, 6 months. I learned a lot about consultative selling, good training at times. but an awful lot of corporate BS, being lied to, having the story changed every month, or less, etc. If you are a self starter (I am) smart, tech savvy, and care about your clients business (Ethical sales person) you will end up having a problem with this job, sooner or later. Most likely sooner.
    Consider this a starter level - entry level sales position. If you hit your numbers, you will be ok, and can have fun. Don't hit your numbers (which are highly unrealistic) you will be fired. DO NOT TAKE A DIGITAL ONLY "BDR" (business development rep) position. They can't produce the websites you are supposed to sell 6 of a month to make quota, and you DON'T GET PAID your commissions until the site goes live. Takes months, which most clients won't put up with so they cancel. Account Managers positions just had their commissions cut in half nationwide, and given twice as many accounts to handle, which is not physically possible. Overwhelmed and no support all the time.
    SEM and SEO are all BS and highly ineffective compared to dollars spent. Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, so nothing gets done, and the clients suffer, then cancel. Yellow pages still work for some clients, and make some money. They have absolutely NO Handle on implementing actual digital solutions for their clients, sense of responsibility for their clients business, or any ethics whatsoever on a corporate level.
    As I said above, all the best people I have known in my 7.5 years there are already gone, the rest CYA'- ing and holding on for dear life until they get a better job, or get fired.
    Advice to Management
    Walk the walk don't just talk the talk. The managers I had who would actually go out and make a sale, help a new rep, and take care of clients business (supposed to be their job) are all gone, or retired, or have quit.
    Honestly, my gut is telling me the investors who are now in charge of the company are setting it up to sell off somehow, if they could ever find a buyer. Ride the train as long as you can, but you won't live long I'll bet.

Advice to Management

Bring all copy writing and customer service jobs back the USA so your clients can actually GET a website you have the sales reps sell them.

RSS Feed </> Embed