hibu

Updated October 31, 2014
2.8

hibu CEO David Eckert
David Eckert

Pros
  • Office empty by 5 and had flexibility to work from home as often as I wanted (in 22 reviews)

• Excellent working conditions, work-life balance encourages with wellbeing - use of the hibu gym (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor planning and lack of sufficient training leads to poor customer service for hibu clients (in 32 reviews)

• Managers under pressure to make sure new products succeed (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

was great before the company went bankrupt and the investors took over

Current Employee - Development Analyst in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Development Analyst in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at hibu full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

was a challenging and interesting job with great co workers and excellent work environment

Cons

unstable top management due to poor global financial decisions

company needs some solid direction from the top down

Enlightening door to door sales with a perpetually change of direction company.

Former Employee - Client Services Consultant in Amarillo, TX
    Former Employee - Client Services Consultant in Amarillo, TX

I worked at hibu full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The Freedom to set your own work schedule.

Cons

Constantly changing contract creating/submitting program, products and pricing, and compensation package was for ever changing.

Change all the cons and get a clear and precise direction.

Run!

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at hibu full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Descent base pay
    -good benefits
    -friendly area management

Cons

I have not made a review on here before and usually check them before starting a new job but the local management were nice and seem trustworthy.. turns out they don't have a say nor do they really make any decisions! ...TRUST ME YOU DON'T WANT TO WORK HERE!!!!!

-Low commissions
    -Terrible products
    -Extremely hard to contact corporate regarding how awful the website turned out because most don't speak English once you are transferred to someone who can help. Transferred to a new department for each individual issue which takes so much of your day.
    -Always changes in products. No consistency
    -They want you to sell, sell, sell and not take the time to service your accounts to where they are happy with their products
    -Lie (or withholding information) to their sales force in training telling them about the products and services. Once you get out into the field and have a few accounts go live you realize this company is awful
    -Fired almost everyone in my office and also in my training class.

**They don't care what or how much you sell the previous month they care ONLY about your number of sales in the rolling 4 weeks at a time; doesn't matter how well you did the previous month, that month or will do next month in dollars earned or number of sales. Only number of sales for those four weeks count and if you don't make them you are FIRED!**

Start looking for a new job. This company is going no where but down. Great job!

Great job to start, but couldn't climb out of the hole management put us in

Former Employee - Publication Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Publication Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at hibu full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay was great for journalists, and the office atmosphere was good. It was nice having a cafe downstairs in the building.

Cons

Poor planning and management sunk the magazine division. hibu should never have hired so many field editors or expanded the number of magazines so quickly. The focus should have been on quality from the publication managers, not quantity. Also, a less ridiculous deadline schedule might have helped the PMs out - instead of bunching magazines up into one week, spread them out more. In less than six months we went from "magazines are awesome!" to getting laid off. The new execs hired in March never gave the magazine department a chance.

Some careful planning instead of gangbusters expansion wold have gone a long way. Profitability isn't the be-all-and-end-all of a product.

Finance

I have been working at hibu

Pros

If you are deemed one of the favorites, you will be comfortable and safe. If not, god bless you. Management is very catty.

Cons

Sinking ship and everybody is fleeing. Poor management at the highest levels and poor business decisions have doomed this place.

Great entry level

Former Employee - Media Consultant in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Media Consultant in San Antonio, TX

I worked at hibu full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great management . Before decline very hard but fun place to wurj

Cons

People not needing services like phone books any motor

Good luck with transition to online advertising! Raise pay scale!

What do you expect from a B string player? Respect?

Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Phila, PA

I worked at hibu full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great hours, work in your territory, good pay, Ipad air, ok benefits

Cons

There are too many managers who don't sell, don't manage, don't help, just send emails and don't respond to yours. What they do are look at reports with so many ever-changing metrics till it looks like they are making money. This is why they are failing. So in a nutshell if you decide you really want to be a door to door salesperson for websites, SEO/SEM and online IYP(really?) Then work for an industry leader or great boutique firm. My best advice, sell something tangible for co that is making money. On the other hand if you want to sell the Yellowbook, you still have to hawk crappy websites but you also sell a tangible trackable product which is ok and keeps you a bit more sane.

Reduce management.

Digital media exec

Former Employee - Dogital Media Sales in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Dogital Media Sales in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at hibu full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Typical sales job items like freedom. Decent training program to start and ongoing wasn't bad either.

Cons

Too many to list. RUUUUN They fire people without merit and warning. Local management is the worst I have seen in my 17 years in this business.

Give up

Lifeboats needed...this ship is sinking

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at hibu full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

1- The ability to work from home and have a flexible schedule (to a degree..)
    2- Opportunity to earn bonuses and higher commissions based on sales.
    3- Diversity of clientele (working with any type of business allowed me to learn a lot about many different industries)
    4- I was also lucky enough to have an amazing manager.

Cons

1- MAJOR product fulfillment issues (Sales Reps work very hard to gain a new client, but when sent off to the various levels of production, there is so much lack of skill, knowledge, communication, and proper support that the result is generally always embarrassingly poor. Sales Reps then have to spend hours trying to fix the problem (basically doing the jobs of website designers, copywriters, etc...), but then are yelled at by management that we shouldn't waste our time doing that - we need to be cold calling & selling. If I sell a product or service, I want to feel confident that it will be fulfilled properly. If that were accomplished, then we would have more time to focus on sales, growth, and developing customer relationships.. But no - we are forced to spend hours & days doing the jobs of other people that continuously mess things up, so that our customer (whom we've worked hard to build a relationship with) is satisfied. This issue continues to get worse and worse, as hibu fires our US support staff and moves everything overseas, to save money because the organization is financially drowning.

2 - Inconsistent & disorganized support (You can call and ask the same question twice and get completely different answers - or a sound of confusion because they have no idea)

3- Negative culture (we know the ship is sinking...everyone does, and it doesn't feel like the powers above are doing anything correctly to help), which brings me to my next point...

4 - Financially dying company with incompetent upper management - Completely dysfunctional on all levels

5 - I could go on & on, but I will just end with this. Working day & night to make all the contacts needed to acquire new sales...finally landing a new client or prospect that is ready to sign, BUT then they decide to do a simple Google search to learn more about us. *CRINGE* Our new client inevitably sees nothing except a massive amount of complaints and awful reviews, then changes their mind - Despite how fond they are of you the sales rep, they don't want to risk getting involved with a company like ours. This happens ALL the time. As reps, not only are we working our butts off to prospect, uncover business owners' needs, build trust & rapport, prove value, and close.....We then have to constantly fight to defend ourselves, because after all we've done it takes 1 quick Google search to lose the sale regardless of how good we are as reps. Once again - I need to feel confident about what I am selling. I want to be proud of who I work for and what we do. Unfortunately, that is a rarity here.

At this point, I don't know what else to say. I'm sad that it has gotten to this point. I understand that Yellowbook revenue was/is a continuous downhill journey and that change was needed. The choices made though have only hurt the company, its employees, and its customers. I know that financially you need to cut costs, hence all the people you've been laying off. And while moving production and support overseas is financially the smart move, the reality is that you have destroyed the morale of this organization and have created an absolutely terrible experience for your reps and customers. If you continue to produce inferior products with awful customer service, all of that money "saved" will be a complete waste.

Sadly I see no positive future here. I want to, but you've made it impossible.

Not an experience I would repeat

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at hibu full-time

Pros

I can't think of anything substantial

Cons

hibu is a very poorly run company. The company does not have a plan or a strategy. It has a very poor product in the market place, one that does not stand up to much smaller competitors. The sale team is poorly trained, using techniques that decades out of date. The technology team is incompetent, clearly waterfall and demonstrates an inability to function delivering almost no value with delivery cycles that are into the months. The operations team operates like an old telco and pays little heed to customers. The product team is leaderless and directionless.

Admit you do not know what you are doing and sell the company for cash.