hibu

Updated September 19, 2014
2.7

hibu CEO David Eckert
David Eckert

Pros
  • Ability to work from home and flexible scheduling (in 12 reviews)

• Plenty of vacation time and bonuses for sales related positions, good benefits including a free (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Equating process with quality; no focus on customer needs or customer service (in 29 reviews)

• Managers under pressure to make sure new products succeed (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Unbelievable.. Run!

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at hibu full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people that are still left are really great people.. Focusing on teamwork and trying to salvage what's left of the sinking ship.

Cons

The company is sending the majority of jobs to the Philippines which is a major mistake.. This company is the Titanic and everyone that is still here is looking to get out

Management seems clueless to the incredible stress levels being caused by the staggered layoffs. Morale is a joke.

Lifeboats needed...this ship is sinking

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at hibu full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

1- The ability to work from home and have a flexible schedule (to a degree..)
    2- Opportunity to earn bonuses and higher commissions based on sales.
    3- Diversity of clientele (working with any type of business allowed me to learn a lot about many different industries)
    4- I was also lucky enough to have an amazing manager.

Cons

1- MAJOR product fulfillment issues (Sales Reps work very hard to gain a new client, but when sent off to the various levels of production, there is so much lack of skill, knowledge, communication, and proper support that the result is generally always embarrassingly poor. Sales Reps then have to spend hours trying to fix the problem (basically doing the jobs of website designers, copywriters, etc...), but then are yelled at by management that we shouldn't waste our time doing that - we need to be cold calling & selling. If I sell a product or service, I want to feel confident that it will be fulfilled properly. If that were accomplished, then we would have more time to focus on sales, growth, and developing customer relationships.. But no - we are forced to spend hours & days doing the jobs of other people that continuously mess things up, so that our customer (whom we've worked hard to build a relationship with) is satisfied. This issue continues to get worse and worse, as hibu fires our US support staff and moves everything overseas, to save money because the organization is financially drowning.

2 - Inconsistent & disorganized support (You can call and ask the same question twice and get completely different answers - or a sound of confusion because they have no idea)

3- Negative culture (we know the ship is sinking...everyone does, and it doesn't feel like the powers above are doing anything correctly to help), which brings me to my next point...

4 - Financially dying company with incompetent upper management - Completely dysfunctional on all levels

5 - I could go on & on, but I will just end with this. Working day & night to make all the contacts needed to acquire new sales...finally landing a new client or prospect that is ready to sign, BUT then they decide to do a simple Google search to learn more about us. *CRINGE* Our new client inevitably sees nothing except a massive amount of complaints and awful reviews, then changes their mind - Despite how fond they are of you the sales rep, they don't want to risk getting involved with a company like ours. This happens ALL the time. As reps, not only are we working our butts off to prospect, uncover business owners' needs, build trust & rapport, prove value, and close.....We then have to constantly fight to defend ourselves, because after all we've done it takes 1 quick Google search to lose the sale regardless of how good we are as reps. Once again - I need to feel confident about what I am selling. I want to be proud of who I work for and what we do. Unfortunately, that is a rarity here.

At this point, I don't know what else to say. I'm sad that it has gotten to this point. I understand that Yellowbook revenue was/is a continuous downhill journey and that change was needed. The choices made though have only hurt the company, its employees, and its customers. I know that financially you need to cut costs, hence all the people you've been laying off. And while moving production and support overseas is financially the smart move, the reality is that you have destroyed the morale of this organization and have created an absolutely terrible experience for your reps and customers. If you continue to produce inferior products with awful customer service, all of that money "saved" will be a complete waste.

Sadly I see no positive future here. I want to, but you've made it impossible.

Not an experience I would repeat

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at hibu full-time

Pros

I can't think of anything substantial

Cons

hibu is a very poorly run company. The company does not have a plan or a strategy. It has a very poor product in the market place, one that does not stand up to much smaller competitors. The sale team is poorly trained, using techniques that decades out of date. The technology team is incompetent, clearly waterfall and demonstrates an inability to function delivering almost no value with delivery cycles that are into the months. The operations team operates like an old telco and pays little heed to customers. The product team is leaderless and directionless.

Admit you do not know what you are doing and sell the company for cash.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great corporate sales experience.

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Salem, OR

I worked at hibu full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent pay, autonomy, networking,

Cons

Product/ service: does not work for businesses that require a great ROI. Inconsistency in service/ products causes clients to cancel and reps to lose conviction.
    Culture: corporate, expect to cheer lead for a product that does not work for local businesses, ameture sales techniques
    Company: unorganized, unstable, inconsistent, rampant lay offs, bankrupt.

Move on, your better than hibu.

Horrible was made bdr rep not by choice lasted 4 months unrealistic goals and constant pressure and threat of fireing

Former Employee - BDR Representative  in  Winchester, VA
    Former Employee - BDR Representative in Winchester, VA

I worked at hibu full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nothing good would never recommend management threatens through intimidation and fear expectations are not attainable

Cons

Unrealistic goals and expectations management micromanages every minute ofc your day

Stop micromanaging

Poor training and pay for copywriters

Former Employee - Copywriter  in  Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Copywriter in Detroit, MI

I worked at hibu full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Work from home.
    - "Write" for a living, although sometimes you will have to copy directly what the client wants on their website, and the writing itself isn't extensively creative, usually.
    - Gain copywriting/SEO tag experience.
    - They do pay writers, and are legit.

Cons

- The daily quotas are a bit much considering the average website is actually about 10 pages, and each page tends to take longer than you would expect.
    - If you can pump out pages super fast (stressing yourself level of speed), you can make OKAY money. Otherwise, you will average out a VERY poor hourly rate.
    - Having to bid for sites to work on can be a pain, is at times exhausting in it's competitiveness, and doesn't guarantee you will get to work on that particular site.
    - The "writing" work is tedious, often boring, and involves some copying/pasting, and also is a lot of repetitious SEO tags, etc. For a true creative writer type, it's a very tedious, boring job.
    - Websites have to go through an editing process, etc. and sometimes it can takes weeks before you are paid for your work.

Mass messages to employees should be more on the positive side, rather than threatening about quotas and deadlines. Emails were often snippy and negative. I would say lower the daily quota if you want quality work from writers, or pay a higher per-page rate.

Regional Manager

I have been working at hibu full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great benefits, Moderate room for advancement. Upper management have been in your shoes so they know what you are going through.

Cons

Based on phone books with slow digital growth

Be very cautious. Do your research. Facts don't lie.

Current Employee - Account Executive/Media Consultant
    Current Employee - Account Executive/Media Consultant

I have been working at hibu full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1) you will meet great people that you will work with everyday. I have been here for over five years and I have made some great friends.
    2) it's a sales job so you will be given enough rope, for people with no experience it can be detrimental because of lack of management support.
    3)print is ironically still viable in some markets with good call counts.
    4) AM's can do very well, but those positions aren't hired anymore.

Cons

Where to begin...
    1) There is no clear message on what the big plan is. Every week it tends to change.
    2) With the bank owning the company you don't know if your job is secure- big push for websites, makes me believe we might be sold to the highest bidder.
    3) You are just a number- it's a sales job.( not a negative, but a fact). They make this very clear to you.
    4)There is no care of quality of a sale, they just want you to sell anything to anyone- in many cases not what's good for the customer.
    5) HORRIBLE CLIENT SUPPORT- customer service is a nightmare.
    6)Extremely high turn over. highest I have seen in my 21 year profesional career. The new business model makes it impossible for these new hires to succeed. Bonus's for these new hires are non existent in many cases.
    7) After training I received zero support. My first email was, " I'm sure you have family or friends who own a business; go sell them today"

Respect what you have before all the good ones leave. Do what's right for the customer, stop pushing reps to sell programs that don't work just to get your numbers.

Business Development Account Executi

Current Employee - Business Development Account Executive
    Current Employee - Business Development Account Executive

I have been working at hibu full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love the people I work with.

Cons

This company is going down the tubes. They hire just anyone and promise the world.

Digital Sales Rep

I have been working at hibu

Pros

Good base salary and benefits. Great training.

Cons

Nothing is consistent. Changing constantly and causing upset with customers. Bad communication internally. Stressful to meet impossible quotas.

Worked for hibu? Contribute to the Community!