hibu

Updated December 21, 2014
2.7

hibu CEO David Eckert
David Eckert

Pros
  • Office empty by 5 and had flexibility to work from home as often as I wanted (in 21 reviews)

• The work-life balance was definitely one of the few perks (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Production problems require reps to spend too much time resolving customer service issues (in 32 reviews)

• Managers under pressure to make sure new products succeed (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Great culture. That's about it.

Current Employee - Digital Sales Consultant in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Digital Sales Consultant in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at hibu full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great culture and wonderful people. Lots of smiles and positivity (on my team). Commissions can really rack up if you're good.

Cons

Compensation plan changes regularly. Goals change regularly. Expectations and focus change regularly. Most recent compensation change cut commissions for my department by probably about 33% and people are streaming out the door, while many others are actively looking.

Middle management is stuck between frustrated employees and upper management who are either clueless and incompetent or scared to death of their bosses. Lots of rah-rah, very little real opportunity, and the recent changes are likely going to cause them to lose most of their top producing salespeople.

Business Development Rep

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at hibu full-time (less than an year)

Pros

heath insurance after 30 days, 3 weeks paid training, really good suit of products

Cons

High Turnover nationwide, if you don't meet your quota, u r out, and some cases if u have several months in the company they will give you a warning of 2 to 4 weeks, and your salary is going to be reduce until you meet your monthly goal again, commissions are not great compared with their competitor.

Stressful

I worked at hibu full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work from home and coworkers

Cons

Micromanaged and what have you done for me lately mentality. They change products, procedures, quotas and job descriptions so rapidly and r
    frequently, it will make your head spin.

Overworked Magazine Department

Former Employee - Centralized Publication Manager in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Centralized Publication Manager in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at hibu full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The compensation was not bad. The benefits were good.

Cons

Work was not delegated fairly. The magazine department was mismanaged. Long hours were required. There was little work/life balance and little respect for the amount of work required in short intervals. Management set unrealistic goals.

The magazine project might have been successful if it was given more time before it was discontinued. It was expanded too quickly and should have been kept centralized instead of going to the field. Work was not distributed fairly. Some people, mainly in the field, had little work to do while others were given challenges and overworked.

on the right track

I have been working at hibu full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

while the former global leadership was less than impressive, the current leaders know exactly what needs to be done and is on the right track to make it happen. Great coworkers with commitment to helping each other and the community.

Cons

during this change to a digital company, still challenges but getting better.

stay focused, keep everyone informed and we'll make this happen together.

Transforming business with exceptional employees

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at hibu full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Management & Staff passionate about delivering a high quality product

Cons

Company is struggling to create an identity for itself with the decline in print advertising.

B2B Advertising sales, job not what was described in interview

Former Employee - Account Representative/Media Consultant in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Account Representative/Media Consultant in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at hibu full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great training before getting in the field. Love the product. Great coworkers.

Cons

Was attracted to job by description of flexibility and income potential. Once I started, they pushed for 50-60 hour efforts from sales team. Before I left, I saw 70% wash out from my training group nationally. And in my area of southwest Michigan I saw them wash out the guy who was the "good example" that trained me in. My Area Sales manager could not get any results when we sold together, and neither could my boss's boss. And yet the wrote us up for not hitting goals, even though I was out doing everything I was trained to do, as I was trained to do it. The only reps doing well, had already established referrals or networks. Fresh people just washed in and out.

You can't expect your sales people to perform better than the people who are managing and training them.

good company, going broke

Current Employee - Business Development Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Development Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at hibu full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good money, great product, freedom

Cons

quotas make no sense, company is bankrupt

Absolutely the worse place on planet earth to work!

Current Employee - BDR
    Current Employee - BDR

I have been working at hibu full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Their training was awesome. They put you up in a nice hotel room for 2 weeks, they'll even fly you home for the weekend if you want. The training was put together well and the trainers were great. You learn a lot quick.

Cons

First off they don't explain to you up front that what ever area you work in, that there are so many accounts that are protected because Hibu is Yellow book and they still do print directories and have print reps (I went to work on the digital side) If there is an account that does a $14 bold print ad which any business that spends money on their business usually will at the least do that, you can't call on them. When I was all go get'em in training I made a list of the top 50 prospects that I wanted to go see when I got in the field. On the second to last day the trainers showed us how to check accounts to see if they were protected and out of that top 50 that I had already researched who needed digital services, I could only call on 6. The next thing is; have you ever went and bought a car? you know it takes 3 to 4 hours and you feel like you been beat up, well that is what its like to make a website sell with Hibu. Seriously it is treacherous. On to the next thing. The micromanaging of this company borders on the line of madness. Typically people like myself in this kind of position understand that you have to sale to keep your job but they have 15 different reports you have to fill out, meeting calls every morning, training calls that take hours every week, and so much more. If somebody sneezes you have to have an hour long meeting about it. I'm not done. When I got out of training and on my team, within the first week we lost 2 people and after my first 4 weeks we lost everyone on the team except for one person. The min objectives that they give you right out of training are ridiculous as well. They set you up to fail and I don't get it because they spend so much money on training. If you are thinking about taking a job with Hibu, I want you to go look in the mirror and slap the ---- out of yourself!!!!!!

Do everything you do differently

Company in disarray

I worked at hibu

Pros

Decent base pay, benefits @ 401k
    Some digital programs work well for businesses that need regional, not local, search

Cons

Digital products are expensive and not well supported
    Most small and medium businesses don't need expensive solution
    Sales quotas impossible
    No time to develop the sale and build the relationship with the customer- new sales are the only priority.
    Website factory

Carefully analyze your value proposition across all market segments. Most of the website services you're charging for can be done for free or at a fraction of the price of your product. Remember value is relative to the competition in the marketplace.