hmv

hmv CEO Trevor Moore

Trevor Moore

Interesting

I worked at hmv

ProsVery very very nice music.

ConsOther employees were sometimes unhelpful.

Very supportive company and very willing to give opportunities

I have been working at hmv

ProsOne of the best reasons to work for HMV group is the support for going into professional qualifications such as ACCA

ConsOnce professional qualifications are complete at HMV, there may not be open vacancies within the organisation to progress into a more senior role

Advice to Senior ManagementHMV leadership is very good ideas and always looking forward, constantly keep employees aware of the plans of the company

Cool place to work

Shop Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at hmv

ProsI get to know about all the latest news in music and movies and they let me be creative with my appearance good place to work and grow as an employee.

ConsSometimes the work is a bit dull and the customers can be difficult to deal with. Long shifts around Xmas time and Easter.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training opportunities in store and bonuses for good employees. I would like to work my way up to the top so Id appreciate if there was the possibility to do so.

Good job, crazy hours

Store Supervisor (Current Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGood Benefits
Good discounts
Opportunity for advancement
Up to date with music, movies & other entertainment
Get to sell great music to the masses

ConsLong hours
Monthly set-ups of restocking/changing sale sections
Constant moving/price changing/re-merchandising of product
Endless promotions to memorize sale procedures for
Working Christmas Eve, New Years Eve, Boxing Day, all at unreasonable hours of the morning/night

Advice to Senior ManagementI am a leader and it's hard work to try and keep up with all the bullcrap that is HMV. A leader has to be very much dedicated to this company and all the work that surrounds selling cds/dvd's and whatever else. It's nuts i tells ya.

It's a job

Stock Clerk (Former Employee)
Pickering, ON (Canada)

I worked at hmv

ProsIt's a comfortable pace, you get to work around a music minded environment, helping people find the newest Celine Dion album is ultra rewarding.

ConsMinimum wage jobs suck. You are in a busy mall over the holidays earning only enough money to get yourself home on the bus and if lucky a meal while you are there.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what you do... taking advantage of consumers with your overpriced, outdated technology.

OK

Store Manager (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at hmv

ProsGreat atmosphere as well as great people. Good working environment, OK staff discounts. Working in London makes it quite a social hub too.

ConsSome bad management at times, not enough staff discount, can't really say much more, there's no more negatives that I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to staff more. Communication within the group should be a hell of a lot more transport, we should also have more head office meetings.

Fallen Giant - Still Falling

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Royal Tunbridge Wells, England (UK)

I worked at hmv full-time for more than a year

ProsRelatively flexible shift pattern, staff discount on products, great camaraderie, relatively good prospects if you are willing to move to the other end of the country and are fanatical about HMV

ConsRegional management live on a different planet - management visits degenerate into turning the store into an ideal homes exhibition to match the pictures in the "handbook" (right down to the sticker drawer in the stock room). Not allowed a modicum of independent thought due to aforementioned "handbook" and centralised strategies. Working for the company is akin to joining a cult, if HMV is not THE all powerful obsession in your life - then expect limited to no job progression whatsoever. If you are lucky enough to progress - be prepared to be moved at a moments notice to other stores (i.e. you work in Scotland and are promoted to assistant manager at the other end of the country) and then maybe be told three months later that store is being closed due latest re-structuring. If you are lucky enough to get onto some kind of staff training other than handbook assimilation - expect that also to be cancelled without warning - successfully entered the graduate scheme only for it to be cancelled within a month and offered an inferior training position in its place (also in turn cancelled). For a company that had such a strong market position and with employees passionate about the products they sell it is a true disappointment that this was not being capitalised by the captains running the ship. Oh and they saw Digital and Online (iTunes et al) gunning for them for a long time and left it too late.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people and allow the true talent (rather than the latest round of robots fresh out of conditioning school) to shine. Alas - too late - The ship sank last year and is now being rationalised (i.e. being gutted). A real shame for such an iconic brand.

DIFFICULT TIMES

London, England (UK)

I worked at hmv as a contractor for less than a year

ProsIf you love music, it is an interesting place to work

ConsMoney difficulties
Will it or won't it survive?

Wamp wamp

I worked at hmv

ProsHmv has a flexible for staff if you are a music/dvd lover you find some good obscure stuff. Managers usually try to accomodate you as best as you can.

ConsHigher ups at HMV didn't adapt and see the changes coming and now place is going under. Most senior staff saw it for a while.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould listen to staff and adapt to trends quicker and faster. Might be too late but good luck to HMV.

not good!

Sales Assistant (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at hmv

ProsThere' access to great music, movies, cd, dvd, blu-rays, just about anyting you want ot watch or listen to you can find it at hmv

Consthey don't really treat their employees that well, and there isn't really any room for improvement or any place to move up to

Advice to Senior Managementyou guys should make employee communication more easy and foster that kind of relationship instead of just bashing everyone around

Worked for hmv? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at hmv reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for hmv CEO Trevor Moore. All 23 reviews posted anonymously by hmv employees.