hmv Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Ian Topping

1. Great brand let down by the suits at the top who still consider themselves errr....top dog......

Former Employee - Sales Representative in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in London, England (UK)

I worked at hmv

Pros

On the ground staff are passionate about the products and freind
    Y bunch by and large

Cons

Idiotic instruction from the people in the know at "the top" and an "ops director" that is one of the rudest self preserving arrogant people known to man

Advice to Management

Leave it to the people who know more about products than you do and stop acting as if you are the best retailers known to the high street....

2. Lack of higher support

Former Employee - Full Time Sales Associate in Grande Prairie, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Full Time Sales Associate in Grande Prairie, AB (Canada)

I worked at hmv full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Starting off there was a lot of immaturity from the staff, eventually I got use to it and we all became very close. An HMV staff becomes a family more than anything.

Cons

Lack of support from higher up, including regional manager, human resources, store manager and various store managers within alberta.

Also, cut off pay in 14 an hour if you're sales staff no matter the amount of time you are employed.

3. Misleading, horrible company

Former Employee - Supervisor in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I worked at hmv full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the people who you work with and regular customers who you get to know after a little while. Other than that nothing

Cons

Rubbish pay, company doesnt care, 0 hour contracts, no guarentee of hours, no breaks perks arent worth the while or effort

Advice to Management

Go back to how the store used to be, the new company is horrible to work for and treat customers and staff horrendously

5. All I can say is pure cards..

I have been working at hmv part-time

Pros

Decent pay in comparison to other companies
    Friendly colleagues
    Easy commute

Cons

Worked to the bone
    Not much training offered
    Too much pressure for add-on sales
    Not focused on anything else but hard to reach targets

Advice to Management

Unprofessional management style called bullying

Need to be more respectful to staff

6. terrible

Former Employee - Customer Services Representative in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Services Representative in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at hmv part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-tasks are easy to do
    -minor discount on some items
    -most co-workers are friendly and easy to get along with

Cons

-demanding hours (high pressure to pick-up extra shifts)
    -disheartening if you enjoy music/ movies (upper management overly commodifies these arts)
    -high pressure to up-sell/ cross-sell merchandise, even though there is no commission, only very negative feedback from managers for failing to increase sales

Advice to Management

-more positive feedback for jobs well done rather than only negatives

7. Minimum wage for an out-of-date job experience

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at hmv part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're going to sell at retail, you may as well sell and work with material you love. In that regard, it was great to be selling films, tv shows, music and games.

Cons

Compensation was low (bare minimum wage; right at the bottom). The store I worked in was large and required a lot of upkeep which grew tedious, but is part of working retail. Team culture was a bit rough around the edges - people kept themselves at a distance and never wanted to spend too much time teaching anything. Everyone kind of just looked out for themselves. The POS system was hilariously out-of-date, as was the notion of selling most of our wares. Physical media was already beginning to feel old in 2010.

Advice to Management

Just respect your employees' time and experience some more. They're working for chump change at a horrendously tedious job.

8. Lack luster

I have been working at hmv

Pros

Meet new people, provide customer service

Cons

Stuck up boss. Boring duties, odd work schedule

9. Sounds like fun?

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at hmv full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ It's nice to be working with what I love as my enthusiasm for the product is genuine and I feel that the customers recognise this.

+ The staff discount, although its not that much, is very handy, especially for birthdays/Christmas.

+ A lot of the staff on my level are very friendly and have a genuine love of what they sell.

Cons

- The store manager uses fear as their primary motivational tool.

- The management are always in contradiction with one another so you're ALWAYS going against someone's instructions.

- No regard for illness or pain when tasks are being delegated. I've often complained of my injuries being made worse by my work, only to be offered no sympathy. I'm currently very ill but I fear the consequences of taking time off.

- Disproportionate punishments follow menial crimes. For example, an employee is awaiting a disciplinary hearing for going to meet a friend outside of work hours to ask a favour of them when he was off sick. He received a barrage of verbal abuse from the manager for this.

- The store is absolutely FILTHY. No-one reports the store to environmental health as they fear being fired. There was a dead mouse in the audio department for a VERY long time and mice regularly eat the confectionary that's for sale. The half-eaten treats are removed rather than the whole batch. I die a little inside every time a customer buys a chocolate bar. The staff kitchen areas are disgusting and rodent-infested and I refuse to eat or prepare food in them. It's also so dusty that my hands are black after half an hour of work. Disgusting.

Advice to Management

This place needs a massive overhaul in the way in which it's managed, starting with respect and decency towards its employees. If I didn't have to worry about my wife and forthcoming family prospects, I'd leave right now. It's sad, because I spent my teenage years dying to work in HMV only to find out how awful it is to work there. I hope other stores fare better.

10. Nightmarish void where souls were sold for company profit

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at hmv

Pros

you met awesome people (both other employees that you worked with and the occasional famous person), the discount was alright

Cons

corporate office down to managers were incredibly pushy with sales and would write you up for not up-selling products at cash, the stores are always a mess, the overhead radio plays all of twenty songs over and over again until you've gone crazy, the customers are rude, the backrooms are chaotic and dangerously messy, hard to take time off, hours are always being cut, no benefits for a full year (even if you are full time)

Advice to Management

stop treating your employees like garbage - brand loyalty is not established with pushy sales people that are constantly terrified that they'll lose their jobs for not selling enough product

Fun at the start but like having your head sandpapered after a while...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at hmv

Pros

Working with such a fun & exciting product, you would think makes an exciting environment to work right? Well, no. Not when its His masters voice. Only HMV could turn the stocking of CD's, DVD's & Games into such a laborious mire of tedium.

Cons

The demands placed on you will burn you out. HMV has a corporate environment that frankly makes the third reich seem relaxed. Recent years have not been kind, with most savvy employees heading toward the exit door. All that are left are a bunch of clueless, overpromoted, beaurocratic, soulless individuals more interested in their own careers than the company. An interest in music, film & games is paid occasional lip service, but to be honest, it feels hollow & contrivied. Besides, you'll spend most of your day blindly ticking boxes anyway.

RSS Feed </> Embed