hmv Reviews

3.2

hmv CEO Trevor Moore
Trevor Moore

Sounds like fun?

Current Employee - Sales Assistant  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at hmv full-time for more than a year

Pros

+ It's nice to be working with what I love as my enthusiasm for the product is genuine and I feel that the customers recognise this.

+ The staff discount, although its not that much, is very handy, especially for birthdays/Christmas.

+ A lot of the staff on my level are very friendly and have a genuine love of what they sell.

Cons

- The store manager uses fear as their primary motivational tool.

- The management are always in contradiction with one another so you're ALWAYS going against someone's instructions.

- No regard for illness or pain when tasks are being delegated. I've often complained of my injuries being made worse by my work, only to be offered no sympathy. I'm currently very ill but I fear the consequences of taking time off.

- Disproportionate punishments follow menial crimes. For example, an employee is awaiting a disciplinary hearing for going to meet a friend outside of work hours to ask a favour of them when he was off sick. He received a barrage of verbal abuse from the manager for this.

- The store is absolutely FILTHY. No-one reports the store to environmental health as they fear being fired. There was a dead mouse in the audio department for a VERY long time and mice regularly eat the confectionary that's for sale. The half-eaten treats are removed rather than the whole batch. I die a little inside every time a customer buys a chocolate bar. The staff kitchen areas are disgusting and rodent-infested and I refuse to eat or prepare food in them. It's also so dusty that my hands are black after half an hour of work. Disgusting.

This place needs a massive overhaul in the way in which it's managed, starting with respect and decency towards its employees. If I didn't have to worry about my wife and forthcoming family prospects, I'd leave right now. It's sad, because I spent my teenage years dying to work in HMV only to find out how awful it is to work there. I hope other stores fare better.

Nightmarish void where souls were sold for company profit

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at hmv

Pros

you met awesome people (both other employees that you worked with and the occasional famous person), the discount was alright

Cons

corporate office down to managers were incredibly pushy with sales and would write you up for not up-selling products at cash, the stores are always a mess, the overhead radio plays all of twenty songs over and over again until you've gone crazy, the customers are rude, the backrooms are chaotic and dangerously messy, hard to take time off, hours are always being cut, no benefits for a full year (even if you are full time)

stop treating your employees like garbage - brand loyalty is not established with pushy sales people that are constantly terrified that they'll lose their jobs for not selling enough product

Fun at the start but like having your head sandpapered after a while...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at hmv

Pros

Working with such a fun & exciting product, you would think makes an exciting environment to work right? Well, no. Not when its His masters voice. Only HMV could turn the stocking of CD's, DVD's & Games into such a laborious mire of tedium.

Cons

The demands placed on you will burn you out. HMV has a corporate environment that frankly makes the third reich seem relaxed. Recent years have not been kind, with most savvy employees heading toward the exit door. All that are left are a bunch of clueless, overpromoted, beaurocratic, soulless individuals more interested in their own careers than the company. An interest in music, film & games is paid occasional lip service, but to be honest, it feels hollow & contrivied. Besides, you'll spend most of your day blindly ticking boxes anyway.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ok

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at hmv part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

people, some of the discounts

Cons

never got shifts, schedules too variable and not consistent

Fallen Giant - Still Falling

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Royal Tunbridge Wells, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Royal Tunbridge Wells, England (UK)

I worked at hmv full-time for more than a year

Pros

Relatively flexible shift pattern, staff discount on products, great camaraderie, relatively good prospects if you are willing to move to the other end of the country and are fanatical about HMV

Cons

Regional management live on a different planet - management visits degenerate into turning the store into an ideal homes exhibition to match the pictures in the "handbook" (right down to the sticker drawer in the stock room). Not allowed a modicum of independent thought due to aforementioned "handbook" and centralised strategies. Working for the company is akin to joining a cult, if HMV is not THE all powerful obsession in your life - then expect limited to no job progression whatsoever. If you are lucky enough to progress - be prepared to be moved at a moments notice to other stores (i.e. you work in Scotland and are promoted to assistant manager at the other end of the country) and then maybe be told three months later that store is being closed due latest re-structuring. If you are lucky enough to get onto some kind of staff training other than handbook assimilation - expect that also to be cancelled without warning - successfully entered the graduate scheme only for it to be cancelled within a month and offered an inferior training position in its place (also in turn cancelled). For a company that had such a strong market position and with employees passionate about the products they sell it is a true disappointment that this was not being capitalised by the captains running the ship. Oh and they saw Digital and Online (iTunes et al) gunning for them for a long time and left it too late.

Listen to your people and allow the true talent (rather than the latest round of robots fresh out of conditioning school) to shine. Alas - too late - The ship sank last year and is now being rationalised (i.e. being gutted). A real shame for such an iconic brand.

DIFFICULT TIMES

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at hmv as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

If you love music, it is an interesting place to work

Cons

Money difficulties
    Will it or won't it survive?

Wamp wamp

I worked at hmv

Pros

Hmv has a flexible for staff if you are a music/dvd lover you find some good obscure stuff. Managers usually try to accomodate you as best as you can.

Cons

Higher ups at HMV didn't adapt and see the changes coming and now place is going under. Most senior staff saw it for a while.

Should listen to staff and adapt to trends quicker and faster. Might be too late but good luck to HMV.

not good!

Former Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at hmv

Pros

There' access to great music, movies, cd, dvd, blu-rays, just about anyting you want ot watch or listen to you can find it at hmv

Cons

they don't really treat their employees that well, and there isn't really any room for improvement or any place to move up to

you guys should make employee communication more easy and foster that kind of relationship instead of just bashing everyone around

Constant Tasking

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at hmv full-time for more than a year

Pros

Product you are selling is something people are interested in so it makes for great conversations with customers.

Cons

Constant tasking makes it difficult to focus on customer service, even though that is what you will be challenged on as a manager.

Seasonal Customer Sales Assistant

Former Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Plymouth, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Plymouth, England (UK)

I worked at hmv full-time for less than a year

Pros

The working environment was really good, a lot of the employees were around my age (Early 20's), we also all had a shared interest in Film, Music and some of us games.

Management broke the day up into hour blocks, so you could be on tills for an hour and then be on queue patrol. I think this was a good idea because it kept the day interesting and I didnt get bored doing the same job for 8 hours straight.

There was also the opportunity for overtime. I was employed over Christmas, so I don't know how much overtime is available all year round.

Cons

You were constantly under pressure to push sales, I know understand this is because they were going into administration.

Worked for hmv? Contribute to the Community!