hmv

3.1

hmv CEO Trevor Moore
Trevor Moore

Bit like a Cattle market

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Warrington, North West England, England (UK)

I worked at hmv full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Would like to say but Isnt any

Cons

Well Not the best Wages

.....

Seasonal Customer Sales Assistant

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Plymouth, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Plymouth, England (UK)

I worked at hmv full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The working environment was really good, a lot of the employees were around my age (Early 20's), we also all had a shared interest in Film, Music and some of us games.

Management broke the day up into hour blocks, so you could be on tills for an hour and then be on queue patrol. I think this was a good idea because it kept the day interesting and I didnt get bored doing the same job for 8 hours straight.

There was also the opportunity for overtime. I was employed over Christmas, so I don't know how much overtime is available all year round.

Cons

You were constantly under pressure to push sales, I know understand this is because they were going into administration.

Good experience

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Chatham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Chatham, England (UK)

I worked at hmv part-time (more than an year)

Pros

the staff... NOT the suits upstairs

Cons

the suits upstairs dont exactly care about those in the shops

Commercial and Retail Finance Intern

Former Employee - Commercial and Retail Finance Intern in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Commercial and Retail Finance Intern in London, England (UK)

I worked at hmv as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly team and company
    Great office
    Good benefits and freebies

Really enjoyed the year I was at HMV the team I was in was really helpful and friendly. Really sad that they went into administration, I hope they survive and start to get stronger.

Cons

Times I werent doing much

Interesting

I worked at hmv

Pros

Very very very nice music.

Cons

Other employees were sometimes unhelpful.

Great untill the money ran out

Former Employee - Supervisor in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at hmv full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great to work for largely with some great perks

Cons

Treated poorly upon entering administration

Overall happy

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Heathrow, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Heathrow, England (UK)

I worked at hmv part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and events eg. Conferences

Cons

Must always keep up to date with new releases for films, music and tech, easy for full timers, more difficult for part timers.

Sounds like fun?

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at hmv full-time (more than an year)

Pros

+ It's nice to be working with what I love as my enthusiasm for the product is genuine and I feel that the customers recognise this.

+ The staff discount, although its not that much, is very handy, especially for birthdays/Christmas.

+ A lot of the staff on my level are very friendly and have a genuine love of what they sell.

Cons

- The store manager uses fear as their primary motivational tool.

- The management are always in contradiction with one another so you're ALWAYS going against someone's instructions.

- No regard for illness or pain when tasks are being delegated. I've often complained of my injuries being made worse by my work, only to be offered no sympathy. I'm currently very ill but I fear the consequences of taking time off.

- Disproportionate punishments follow menial crimes. For example, an employee is awaiting a disciplinary hearing for going to meet a friend outside of work hours to ask a favour of them when he was off sick. He received a barrage of verbal abuse from the manager for this.

- The store is absolutely FILTHY. No-one reports the store to environmental health as they fear being fired. There was a dead mouse in the audio department for a VERY long time and mice regularly eat the confectionary that's for sale. The half-eaten treats are removed rather than the whole batch. I die a little inside every time a customer buys a chocolate bar. The staff kitchen areas are disgusting and rodent-infested and I refuse to eat or prepare food in them. It's also so dusty that my hands are black after half an hour of work. Disgusting.

This place needs a massive overhaul in the way in which it's managed, starting with respect and decency towards its employees. If I didn't have to worry about my wife and forthcoming family prospects, I'd leave right now. It's sad, because I spent my teenage years dying to work in HMV only to find out how awful it is to work there. I hope other stores fare better.

Nightmarish void where souls were sold for company profit

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at hmv

Pros

you met awesome people (both other employees that you worked with and the occasional famous person), the discount was alright

Cons

corporate office down to managers were incredibly pushy with sales and would write you up for not up-selling products at cash, the stores are always a mess, the overhead radio plays all of twenty songs over and over again until you've gone crazy, the customers are rude, the backrooms are chaotic and dangerously messy, hard to take time off, hours are always being cut, no benefits for a full year (even if you are full time)

stop treating your employees like garbage - brand loyalty is not established with pushy sales people that are constantly terrified that they'll lose their jobs for not selling enough product

Wamp wamp

I worked at hmv

Pros

Hmv has a flexible for staff if you are a music/dvd lover you find some good obscure stuff. Managers usually try to accomodate you as best as you can.

Cons

Higher ups at HMV didn't adapt and see the changes coming and now place is going under. Most senior staff saw it for a while.

Should listen to staff and adapt to trends quicker and faster. Might be too late but good luck to HMV.