hmv

www.hmvgroup.com
Profile Unclaimed

very fun but forget about advancing

Current Employee - Sales in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at hmv

Pros

-very friendly people
    -discount (supplier cost, items become very cheap)
    -flexible when asking for days off
    -flexible around your availability
    -managers become your friends

Cons

-lack of appreciation from managers
    -favouritism
    -can get very boring on most night shifts

Appreciate ALL your workers.

A well-structured company changing to work in the current climate.

Former Employee - Product Supplier Assistant
    Former Employee - Product Supplier Assistant

I worked at hmv

Pros

Support in business training schemes
    casual dress
    Several points of contact for support
    Team atmosphere as departments run side by side.

Cons

none substantial enough to list

Allow greater creative input from employees at all levels regarding decisions, by offering a way to access current projects and send input electronically.

Fun place to work but could be better

Former Employee - Sales Assistant
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at hmv

Pros

- Nice people (some genuinely very nice people)
    - Interesting experience with varied job roles (i.e. floor-walking, till time, collecting stock from off-site, filling up chart wall stock etc.)
    - Good opportunity to improve/utilise up-selling skills with Perfect Partners (there was some good stuff there, the company gave you some good stuff to work with, it wasn't tat)
    - Unlike many other retailers, A LOT of face-to-face with customers on the shop-floor and provides opportunities to deliver excellent customer service (which are always help in competency/STAR interviews)
    - 30% staff discount on (most) items
    - Seeing the manager and his assistant ing bricks when the CEO paid a visit!

Cons

- Minimum wage. A company who pays £6.60 rather than £6.50 - even though it's only 10p goes up hugely in my estimation - because it shows a company values its employees and don't believe any Tom, D*** and Harry could do their job.
    - Company feels as if it's in survival mode rather than at the top of its game. I wouldn't say backwards but very static. I talked to a permanent staff member who had been there for 6 years and they said the culture is unrecognisable when they started working there.
    - Contradictions in work practices. The company espouses the "product and people" mantra but loyalty cards are nonsense with £3 charge and crap "rewards". I felt embarrassed to offer it and so did a lot of other permanent staff. A couple of customers actually returned the card and wanted their £3 back because they felt as if they have been duped. On both occasions, I quietly processed the exchange without querying it with because I had the utmost sympathy with them. My indifference towards these silly cards was probably why they didn't keep me on!
    - On a couple of occasions, the staff were alarmingly mis-selling the loyalty cards with items not on the rewards program unaware that by doing so they were breaking the law. Any reputable company - whether it's a £1000+ credit card or a one-off £3 card - should not be mis-selling products. Someone needs to mention the Sale of Goods Act and the FCA. This is something HMV management really need to look at because it erodes customers' trust in the brand and drives customers away - particularly to no-hassle online retailers when they know they won't be pestered with silly value-less reward schemes.
    - Ancient, inefficient work-practices. One such example was the back catalogue squashed (quite literally!) under A-Z space when they have empty shelf space on the wall. The poor staff spend a good 5-10 minutes on your hands and knees looking for something obscure, so much that they have hand-wash at the till. Whack some shelves on the wall FFS! Spare them the effort and unprofessional appearance and save them time so they help other customers!
    - Lack of new ideas or initiatives to entice customers. Walking into a HMV store and seeing "2 for £10" is only exciting the first few times. I had about 10 (cheap) initiatives I would implement but they never asked staff for ideas so sod them!
    - I felt management were a bit (too) distant with staff to the point they were unapproachable. I understand there is a lot of pressure at Christmas but appreciating your staff members' efforts is an important skill that is so lacking in management these days. Employers always talk about young people lacking 'soft skills' yet so many older managers lack such skills as well. It's a laughable state of affairs when I see such complaints in the news.
    - From my impressions, the store had a good set of staff who worked extremely hard (compared to previous retail roles I've been in) and I don't think they were appreciated.
    - If you're a Christmas temp. don't expect to be rewarded with any bonus or meeting Christmas sales targets. Not even handshake of appreciation from the manager after a (VERY) successful Christmas period which I thought was a bit lacking in decorum.

Get rid of the £3 payment for the "loyalty" cards which erodes trust in those who are duped into buying it and annoys the customers (The "Oh, you're trying to sell me something else now?" types) who don't want it when they are at the till.

Good management

Former Employee - Supervisor in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at hmv full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Staff discount, good if you like music movies

Cons

Mall hours, low pay and not much time off

Pay more

Facing the music...

Former Employee - Seasonal Temp
    Former Employee - Seasonal Temp

I worked at hmv full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Getting to listen to new music
    Friendly team of colleagues
    Had a rota system so got to mix tasks up a bit
    Lenient with piercings and weird hair colours
    Watching the managers sweat when the CEO turned up for a visit.

Good hours for a temporary contract
    Discount despite being a temp.

Cons

Worked at a Pop-up store, was told we would get 60p above minimum wage during interview, then we were texted later that it was in fact minimum wage.

Thought working in HMV would be dynamic and interesting, but turned out to be a soulless profit making exercise. Maybe I've been watching the movie 'Empire Records' too much.

Took the fun out of customer service and retail by treating customers like gods.

Some of the tasks we were told to were a bit silly.
    (1) Stand at the entrance and hand out offer leaflets, of which customers would pick up then discard in various places around the store, e.g inside DVD cases.
    (2) Walk around the store in a clockwise fashion and approaching customers and asking if they need any help, while your colleague would do the same, so you would end up annoying customers twice. Also to hand out more leaflets.
    (3) The mentioned walk was briefly updated with the most ridiculous thing ever. We had to selotape DVD's together like you would be holding a spread deck of cards, and you would hold this in 1 hand while offering assistance. Bizarre marketing ploy.

We were also told despite being on a 6 week contract, that there would be possibilities for career opportunities at the closest permanent store, but we were told strictly no positions will be available by other management. Very confusing.

Oh and the pink Tshirt. Not so good for guys

Better pay and don't bend the truth about permanent opportunities.

OK

I worked at hmv

Pros

Good merch and staff discount

Cons

store played robbie williams all the time
    high turnover

Constant Tasking

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at hmv full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Product you are selling is something people are interested in so it makes for great conversations with customers.

Cons

Constant tasking makes it difficult to focus on customer service, even though that is what you will be challenged on as a manager.

Seasonal Customer Sales Assistant

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Plymouth, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Plymouth, England (UK)

I worked at hmv full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The working environment was really good, a lot of the employees were around my age (Early 20's), we also all had a shared interest in Film, Music and some of us games.

Management broke the day up into hour blocks, so you could be on tills for an hour and then be on queue patrol. I think this was a good idea because it kept the day interesting and I didnt get bored doing the same job for 8 hours straight.

There was also the opportunity for overtime. I was employed over Christmas, so I don't know how much overtime is available all year round.

Cons

You were constantly under pressure to push sales, I know understand this is because they were going into administration.

Good experience

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Chatham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Chatham, England (UK)

I worked at hmv part-time (more than a year)

Pros

the staff... NOT the suits upstairs

Cons

the suits upstairs dont exactly care about those in the shops

Interesting

I worked at hmv

Pros

Very very very nice music.

Cons

Other employees were sometimes unhelpful.