hmv Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Fun Job

Current Employee - Key Holder in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at hmv part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, my love for music was supported, great customers, passion for what I sold

Cons

No room for advancement. I was with the company for 3 years, and was sent to help run other stores. I was constantly give hope that I would advance, but nothing ever came up.

Advice to Management

District Managers, Regional Managers, HO staff - Treat your store staff better. Dont take them for granted. A little encouragement goes a long way.

2. Bit like a Cattle market

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Warrington, North West England, England (UK)

I worked at hmv full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Would like to say but Isnt any

Cons

Well Not the best Wages

Advice to Management

.....

3. Great untill the money ran out

Former Employee - Supervisor in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at hmv full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great to work for largely with some great perks

Cons

Treated poorly upon entering administration

5. Overall happy

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Heathrow, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Heathrow, England (UK)

I worked at hmv part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and events eg. Conferences

Cons

Must always keep up to date with new releases for films, music and tech, easy for full timers, more difficult for part timers.

6. very fun but forget about advancing

Current Employee - Sales in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at hmv

Pros

-very friendly people
    -discount (supplier cost, items become very cheap)
    -flexible when asking for days off
    -flexible around your availability
    -managers become your friends

Cons

-lack of appreciation from managers
    -favouritism
    -can get very boring on most night shifts

Advice to Management

Appreciate ALL your workers.

7. A well-structured company changing to work in the current climate.

Former Employee - Product Supplier Assistant
    Former Employee - Product Supplier Assistant

I worked at hmv

Pros

Support in business training schemes
    casual dress
    Several points of contact for support
    Team atmosphere as departments run side by side.

Cons

none substantial enough to list

Advice to Management

Allow greater creative input from employees at all levels regarding decisions, by offering a way to access current projects and send input electronically.

8. Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at hmv

Pros

Fun environment, friendly colleagues. Everyday is new and exciting. One of the best retail experience i've ever had. Employee discounts is welcomed

Cons

Management is disorganized, employees have to go beyond their role. Lack of understanding when changing shifts. Continually find reasons to critiicize.

Advice to Management

Look at each individual as a person, not a statistic. If they hate customer service, then ultimately should reconsider their career path. Having the feeling of being too good and above your position is disheartening to employees.

9. Assistant Store Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at hmv full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working with great products across music, film, games & technology. There are a lot of great people involved across the business. Salary is fairly good at management level compared to similar roles in retail.

Cons

A lot of people have been in the business for a long time, coupled with less stores across the business make career progression more difficult. Not as forward thinking a business as they should be considering the nature of the products that they sell.

Advice to Management

There needs to be a clearer plan for career and company development. There doesn't seem to be a long term plan.

10. Fun place to work but could be better

Former Employee - Sales Assistant
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at hmv

Pros

- Nice people (some genuinely very nice people)
    - Interesting experience with varied job roles (i.e. floor-walking, till time, collecting stock from off-site, filling up chart wall stock etc.)
    - Good opportunity to improve/utilise up-selling skills with Perfect Partners (there was some good stuff there, the company gave you some good stuff to work with, it wasn't tat)
    - Unlike many other retailers, A LOT of face-to-face with customers on the shop-floor and provides opportunities to deliver excellent customer service (which are always help in competency/STAR interviews)
    - 30% staff discount on (most) items
    - Seeing the manager and his assistant ing bricks when the CEO paid a visit!

Cons

- Minimum wage. A company who pays £6.60 rather than £6.50 - even though it's only 10p goes up hugely in my estimation - because it shows a company values its employees and don't believe any Tom, D*** and Harry could do their job.
    - Company feels as if it's in survival mode rather than at the top of its game. I wouldn't say backwards but very static. I talked to a permanent staff member who had been there for 6 years and they said the culture is unrecognisable when they started working there.
    - Contradictions in work practices. The company espouses the "product and people" mantra but loyalty cards are nonsense with £3 charge and crap "rewards". I felt embarrassed to offer it and so did a lot of other permanent staff. A couple of customers actually returned the card and wanted their £3 back because they felt as if they have been duped. On both occasions, I quietly processed the exchange without querying it with because I had the utmost sympathy with them. My indifference towards these silly cards was probably why they didn't keep me on!
    - On a couple of occasions, the staff were alarmingly mis-selling the loyalty cards with items not on the rewards program unaware that by doing so they were breaking the law. Any reputable company - whether it's a £1000+ credit card or a one-off £3 card - should not be mis-selling products. Someone needs to mention the Sale of Goods Act and the FCA. This is something HMV management really need to look at because it erodes customers' trust in the brand and drives customers away - particularly to no-hassle online retailers when they know they won't be pestered with silly value-less reward schemes.
    - Ancient, inefficient work-practices. One such example was the back catalogue squashed (quite literally!) under A-Z space when they have empty shelf space on the wall. The poor staff spend a good 5-10 minutes on your hands and knees looking for something obscure, so much that they have hand-wash at the till. Whack some shelves on the wall FFS! Spare them the effort and unprofessional appearance and save them time so they help other customers!
    - Lack of new ideas or initiatives to entice customers. Walking into a HMV store and seeing "2 for £10" is only exciting the first few times. I had about 10 (cheap) initiatives I would implement but they never asked staff for ideas so sod them!
    - I felt management were a bit (too) distant with staff to the point they were unapproachable. I understand there is a lot of pressure at Christmas but appreciating your staff members' efforts is an important skill that is so lacking in management these days. Employers always talk about young people lacking 'soft skills' yet so many older managers lack such skills as well. It's a laughable state of affairs when I see such complaints in the news.
    - From my impressions, the store had a good set of staff who worked extremely hard (compared to previous retail roles I've been in) and I don't think they were appreciated.
    - If you're a Christmas temp. don't expect to be rewarded with any bonus or meeting Christmas sales targets. Not even handshake of appreciation from the manager after a (VERY) successful Christmas period which I thought was a bit lacking in decorum.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the £3 payment for the "loyalty" cards which erodes trust in those who are duped into buying it and annoys the customers (The "Oh, you're trying to sell me something else now?" types) who don't want it when they are at the till.

11. Good management

Former Employee - Supervisor in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at hmv full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Staff discount, good if you like music movies

Cons

Mall hours, low pay and not much time off

Advice to Management

Pay more

RSS Feed </> Embed