hmv

Cool place to work

Current Employee - Shop Assistant
    Current Employee - Shop Assistant

I have been working at hmv

Pros

I get to know about all the latest news in music and movies and they let me be creative with my appearance good place to work and grow as an employee.

Cons

Sometimes the work is a bit dull and the customers can be difficult to deal with. Long shifts around Xmas time and Easter.

More training opportunities in store and bonuses for good employees. I would like to work my way up to the top so Id appreciate if there was the possibility to do so.

Good job, crazy hours

Current Employee - Store Supervisor in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Store Supervisor in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at hmv

Pros

Good Benefits
    Good discounts
    Opportunity for advancement
    Up to date with music, movies & other entertainment
    Get to sell great music to the masses

Cons

Long hours
    Monthly set-ups of restocking/changing sale sections
    Constant moving/price changing/re-merchandising of product
    Endless promotions to memorize sale procedures for
    Working Christmas Eve, New Years Eve, Boxing Day, all at unreasonable hours of the morning/night

I am a leader and it's hard work to try and keep up with all the bullcrap that is HMV. A leader has to be very much dedicated to this company and all the work that surrounds selling cds/dvd's and whatever else. It's nuts i tells ya.

It's a job

Former Employee - Stock Clerk in Pickering, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Stock Clerk in Pickering, ON (Canada)

I worked at hmv

Pros

It's a comfortable pace, you get to work around a music minded environment, helping people find the newest Celine Dion album is ultra rewarding.

Cons

Minimum wage jobs suck. You are in a busy mall over the holidays earning only enough money to get yourself home on the bus and if lucky a meal while you are there.

Keep on doing what you do... taking advantage of consumers with your overpriced, outdated technology.

OK

Current Employee - Store Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at hmv

Pros

Great atmosphere as well as great people. Good working environment, OK staff discounts. Working in London makes it quite a social hub too.

Cons

Some bad management at times, not enough staff discount, can't really say much more, there's no more negatives that I can think of.

Listen to staff more. Communication within the group should be a hell of a lot more transport, we should also have more head office meetings.

Love this brand, directors were too ancient to move forward

Former Employee - Marketing in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Marketing in London, England (UK)

I worked at hmv

Pros

Great fun, friendly workplace
    Relaxed
    Nice benefits

Cons

My manager was not encouraging and being connected to the HR director at the time it was hard to put forward.
    Made redundant very soon after hire
    Frustrating as implementing change and progression was held back

Well back then it would be buckle up, I'm sure now things have changed. (Hopefully)

ok

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at hmv part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

people, some of the discounts

Cons

never got shifts, schedules too variable and not consistent

Fallen Giant - Still Falling

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Royal Tunbridge Wells, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Royal Tunbridge Wells, England (UK)

I worked at hmv full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Relatively flexible shift pattern, staff discount on products, great camaraderie, relatively good prospects if you are willing to move to the other end of the country and are fanatical about HMV

Cons

Regional management live on a different planet - management visits degenerate into turning the store into an ideal homes exhibition to match the pictures in the "handbook" (right down to the sticker drawer in the stock room). Not allowed a modicum of independent thought due to aforementioned "handbook" and centralised strategies. Working for the company is akin to joining a cult, if HMV is not THE all powerful obsession in your life - then expect limited to no job progression whatsoever. If you are lucky enough to progress - be prepared to be moved at a moments notice to other stores (i.e. you work in Scotland and are promoted to assistant manager at the other end of the country) and then maybe be told three months later that store is being closed due latest re-structuring. If you are lucky enough to get onto some kind of staff training other than handbook assimilation - expect that also to be cancelled without warning - successfully entered the graduate scheme only for it to be cancelled within a month and offered an inferior training position in its place (also in turn cancelled). For a company that had such a strong market position and with employees passionate about the products they sell it is a true disappointment that this was not being capitalised by the captains running the ship. Oh and they saw Digital and Online (iTunes et al) gunning for them for a long time and left it too late.

Listen to your people and allow the true talent (rather than the latest round of robots fresh out of conditioning school) to shine. Alas - too late - The ship sank last year and is now being rationalised (i.e. being gutted). A real shame for such an iconic brand.

DIFFICULT TIMES

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at hmv as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

If you love music, it is an interesting place to work

Cons

Money difficulties
    Will it or won't it survive?

Wamp wamp

I worked at hmv

Pros

Hmv has a flexible for staff if you are a music/dvd lover you find some good obscure stuff. Managers usually try to accomodate you as best as you can.

Cons

Higher ups at HMV didn't adapt and see the changes coming and now place is going under. Most senior staff saw it for a while.

Should listen to staff and adapt to trends quicker and faster. Might be too late but good luck to HMV.

not good!

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at hmv

Pros

There' access to great music, movies, cd, dvd, blu-rays, just about anyting you want ot watch or listen to you can find it at hmv

Cons

they don't really treat their employees that well, and there isn't really any room for improvement or any place to move up to

you guys should make employee communication more easy and foster that kind of relationship instead of just bashing everyone around