hybris Software Reviews

hybris was Derived From Hubris

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at hybris Software full-time for less than a year

Pros

I'm definitely getting the sense that hybris is a culture of wanting to kick butt. And there isn't a bunch of pointless stuff getting in the way of that objective. While there's plenty of debate as to how to achieve our goals, it's always respectful and generally productive here from what I've seen.

There is truth to the silo phenomenon others have observed. The other side of that coin is that teams have a lot of discretion in terms of how to achieve their goals. That includes a fair amount of discretion in terms of project management and technology choices for new projects. This is not always convenient for those of us who tend to pinch hit on a lot of different projects but not a downer for me as I dig the opportunities to learn new stuff and would rather not be doing the same things every day. But I have observed to many cooks in a kitchen on one project. Some of this is due to a recent rejiggering of departments and groups I suspect.

Goals seem clearly communicated and we have ambitions in areas that seem like the right directions to be moving to me. I have been here a couple months now and have yet to see politics get in the way of identifying or solving an obvious problem.

The Chicago office is gorgeous and our expansion plans might very well be cooler than anything they've done in the bay area. We're treated like adults. There's beer in the fridge and even a keg in the cooler and no one thinks twice about grabbing a beer towards the end of the day or during general tech presentations held every Friday. People regularly work from or start the day at home, sometimes multiple days a week as many of us have to attend meetings early in the morning with Europe and nobody would think twice about asking to work from home for family/personal reasons. There's also plenty of fresh fruit and drinks to be had and free lunch on Fridays.

There's plenty of travel for a lot of roles but travel to places like Munich, Montreal, Boulder, Poland, etc...

The biggest seller for me so far is that people are by and large, nice, approachable, not afraid, smart, etc... All signs of people who are accustomed to having successes and higher than typical expectations in a work place.

Cons

It's a quibble but I really hate branding that makes a proper nouns lower-case. Typing "hybris" repeatedly bugs the hell out of me and makes me feel wrong.

Health insurance in Chicago is a choice between a great-on-paper more or less free ride on the deductible plan with one of the worst-ranked providers in Illinois (Aetna) or 200 a month towards an Obama-care plan of your choice. That was kind of a bummer with an extra dash of irony given that our HQ is in Germany, whose health care system is probably among the finest and most freely accessible to its citizens in the world.

With the bonus, my salary will be competitive. That's not what bonuses are for. If I didn't value culture as much as I did, I could do a lot better.

The vast majority of the existing code base is Java. Cleaner than usual from the looks of it (I've had a lot of negative Java experiences) but still with plenty of build problems.

None of that bothered me enough to knock it down a star but one potential dark cloud on the horizon that might is our recent acquisition by SAP, a company very much in the vein of massively too huge to fail IBM-ish type companies that wanted us for our ability to deliver competent user experiences, which is something such companies tend to struggle with because their own gargantuan soul-crushing, excessively procedure-oriented cultures send people with any hing of an imagination running for cover.

hybris management has promised to keep us well-insulated from SAP politics and procedures and there is supposedly buy-in from SAP on this insulation as well but integrating with their IT is already proving to be a bit restrictive and painful and I've worked for monolithic companies like this before. I think it's in their nature to carpet bomb everything with procedure until everything is uniform and completely devoid of .anything resembling a productive or imaginative work environment.

US health insurance can be real monsters on the lower tiers. There is nothing more frustrating or stressful than a company attempting to not pay for your care by acting like it's been making clerical errors and other mistakes for months at a time, dragging out (in our case) a very painful and expensive miscarriage. It's not a good thing to carry with you to work every day when it happens. We need better options than Aetna.

The build issue is pretty much endemic to Java code bases in my experience so I don't think the Java devs tend to notice as much but build configuration issues waste a lot of time and not just for developers. We should really solve the hell out of that problem and test to ensure that anyone can build any app, at any time with a one-liner in any terminal window on any OS. If we write tests that guarantee anything, it should be that one thing over all else. I've lost days trying to resolve several issues already and spent weeks being blocked on a critical multi-team blocking issue because of chronic build pain. I had other work to focus on so it wasn't as frustrating as it could have been but it's a problem that needs to be solved with extreme prejudice.

You may want to have a look at what IBM is doing with their Node.js-based services. Try it out. Notice how quick and hassle-free installation was. Java's known for a lot of things, not all of them bad, but moving quickly isn't one of them. It might be the first smart technology move IBM's made in a long time and I was shocked they made it.

Also, as far as I can tell, most of our competitors aren't doing anything very sexy in terms of restful service client-side interface libraries that work well, with or without Angular. There's a hole to be filled there.

Great People, Cool Product, Excellent Company Culture

I have been working at hybris Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

hybris is a dynamic, constantly changing place full of interesting opportunities and challenges. The extreme growth over the past years has shaped the company and made it more mature, and working on and with a very successful product is very rewarding.
    Management is easily approachable and has open doors - and listens to concerns. People are treated with great respect, and there's a general positive, friendly atmosphere in the offices.
    Most importantly, hybris employs great people and fosters social interactions, making it a very fun place to work.

Cons

- Middle management is not always as competent as desirable, due to rapid growth and hiring
    - Growth requires constant re-organisation, often leading to confusion and sometimes opaque decision making processes

Great place to work. Great people. The kind of job you look forward to coming to.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at hybris Software full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people at this company are what makes it so great. It definitely has a family feel, and is a great environment to learn in. We have several company events and happy hours, free beer, and free catered lunch on Fridays! What could be better?

Cons

A few growing pains, but the culture hasn't seemed to be negatively affected. Things may change now that SAP has purchased the company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great culture, management, and product....I hope SAP doesn't break it.

Former Employee - Sales  in  Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at hybris Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company is firing on all cylinders, with incredible sales execution and growth.

Cons

The product reputation sightly outpaces the reality of the product. Its moving rapidly in a good direction, but needs more innovation to make the omni-channel vision a reality. SAP is doing the right thing by keeping hybris mostly autonomous. Let's hope that continues.

First don't break it, then push to grow it. Let some of the entrepreneurial culture rub off on SAP.

Awesome place to work

Current Employee - Technical Architect  in  Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Technical Architect in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at hybris Software full-time for less than a year

Pros

work life balance
    only 25-30% travel required
    working with major brands

Cons

start or SAP integration and SAP is much slower

try to keep the hybris spirit and try to avoid to much adoption of SAP "slowness"

unorganized, not professional and overly challenged HR

Current Employee - Kam  in  Munich (Germany)
    Current Employee - Kam in Munich (Germany)

I have been working at hybris Software for less than a year

Pros

good product, innovative technology, international market activity

Cons

I wait to hear back from HR, very inexperienced HR person interviewing, just ticking boxes on their sheet, not understanding relations and market mechanisms. I have not been getting a result or answer till today.

change your HR - they obviously to young to have the necessary experience to evaluate people and therefore just tick boxes on their sheets… maybe not the department to save money when growth and market share win is key to your company.

Unprofessional, unorganised and not qualified managers

Former Employee - IT Service Manager  in  Munich (Germany)
    Former Employee - IT Service Manager in Munich (Germany)

I worked at hybris Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits were acceptable and at a first glance it looks like a promising company with young blood.

Cons

No structure, no processes, only higher management is allowed to make even simple decisions.
    Team leaders and department managers are incapable of managing their teams.

Hire better managers and trust more your employees

Good Place to work

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Munich (Germany)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Munich (Germany)

I have been working at hybris Software full-time

Pros

Good Developers, Cutting edge hybris projects and knowledge by being in the HQ, Great Atmosphere, Computer Gadgets, Working balance.

Cons

Salary is under the average compared to other tech companies in Germany

Excellant company with great future prospect

Current Employee - Technical Architect  in  Munich (Germany)
    Current Employee - Technical Architect in Munich (Germany)

I have been working at hybris Software full-time for less than a year

Pros

mostly people are young, dynamic and friendly. Mostly hardworking and really agile both in processes. HR is superb. I got Macbook pro as a company laptop. One of the best companies to work around in munich area.

Cons

Munich office is over occupied, no space and often looks like in a startup mode. U have to give 110% and travel quite often.

Make it more family friendly. change location of Munich office...it obvious some nostalgia surrounds not leaving this place but its time to grow and locate to some modern place.

review

Former Employee - Senior Developer  in  Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Developer in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at hybris Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

always have project to do, busy

Cons

not very good working environment, not good management

Worked for hybris Software? Contribute to the Community!