i-5 Publishing Reviews

Updated February 26, 2015
11 reviews filtered by
2.6
Mark Harris

Overall good company to work for!

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at i-5 Publishing

Pros

Company has a great helpful staff. Training is awesome. Great comp and benefits. Flexible schedules. New products and new ideas.

Cons

It takes a couple of weeks to find a balance because there is so many different things you can offer clients. So that was a bit overwhelming as a new hire.

2. Great Outlook!

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Irvine, CA

I have been working at i-5 Publishing full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I work in sales and we constantly have new products to sell with unlimited upside to make more money. We have flexible hours and never have to work on weekends so the work-life balance is really good. We have so much to sell, can't get to it all. That's a good problem to have. Our team is pretty solid, and while there is always pressure in sales, we have a pretty good time.

Cons

new CRM system has been a challenge, but our management is helping us through it and considers our feedback.

Advice to Management

401K plan would help.

Fun, Fast Paced, Room to grow.

Current Employee - Sales in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Irvine, CA

I have been working at i-5 Publishing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance. Flexible schedules, and great benefits: insurance, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, holidays. I can bring my dog to work! The company even has a social squad that organizes fun events for employees to break the routine of each month. There are so many opportunities in the sales department to make money, and lots of support from the company to help you do it. It's a fast paced environment, so you're always busy and motivated. The company invests in the development of the sales people with training on all products. There is a huge selection of products available, so from a sales standpoint there is something for everyone and customers are happy and loyal. Upper management listens to opinions and makes changes when they make sense.

Cons

Although there are 401k plans, the company does not match contributions.

What change?

I have been working at i-5 Publishing full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Provides a source of income to pay the bills. Steady benefits. Good company for someone fresh out of college or who is in-between jobs.

Cons

Research "Bowtie, Inc." and read the reviews. Nothing has changed and there's no showing that it will. The same upper management that was running the show and vying for power back then is again running the show now, except the neuroticism much more apparent and blatant. The new owners, while they are very nice people and say a lot of nice things seem not to lose too much sleep over the poor morale of the company. To them, the company is probably just a machine that needs to be kept running with minimum input and maximum workload in order to turn out a profit.

This is more of a warning to anyone thinking of applying here. There is no room for growth in position or salary. There were a lot of empty promises given to those employees that survived the change. I suggest putting your searching and interviewing efforts elsewhere. Because even if you DO get hired, who knows how long it'll be for.

Uncaring, unfriendly staff

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at i-5 Publishing full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good salary and medical benefits. The HR department is organized and well-informed. The compensation was fair for the size of the company.

Cons

Toxic work environment. Everyone I worked with was unfriendly and miserable. There was no team attitude there. The cubicle walls are so high that you can't see the person sitting next to you. I felt alone among many people who were very unhappy.

Advice to Management

Give a damn about your employees' success and happiness. Supervisors sit in offices and rarely interact with employees, so feedback is rare. Learn some real people skills and take an interest in the success of those who work for you. There is no leadership whatsoever. This is the worst atmosphere I have ever encountered.

Frustrating place to work.

Current Employee - Advertising Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Advertising Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at i-5 Publishing full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you are a pet lover, it's about pets. If you are a horse lover it's about horses. Editorial is high quality.

Cons

High expectations, low resources. Far too little investment in circulation, and low understanding at the highest levels of what it takes to invest in a build a quality audience that comes back regularly. Training is non-existent. And the it situation is abysmal. Who ever is in charge of web-tech strategy has a limited understanding of building audience, so we are left behind by competitors in the main area of growth opportunity.

Advice to Management

Invest in people and in content. Don't expect miracles. The HR department is too fearful to be helpful, and slows everything people related.

A great internship for a college student interested in getting his/her feet wet in most areas of editorial work.

Former Intern - Editorial Intern in Irvine, CA
    Former Intern - Editorial Intern in Irvine, CA

I worked at i-5 Publishing as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Very nice people who genuinely want to provide you with important work (bylines, using production tools, etc.); Get to observe how the editorial department runs; Great feedback on performance

Cons

Office is mostly a quiet environment, so the day can run on endlessly; Although I always had at least 2 projects to work on, sometimes they got a bit monotonous; Doesn't seem like a place with room for upward mobility

Fast paced and positive

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at i-5 Publishing full-time (more than a year)

Pros

we act like a start up, and the new owners are exceptional leaders. Our CEO is respected and respectful.

Cons

some of the veteran employees here are still entrenched in old ways of doing things and thought processes, resistant to change. They have never worked anywhere else, worked their up under the old owner, so they don't know how behind the times they are.

Advice to Management

keep diversifying the product mix and change up the established products

Chaotic in the aftermath of taking over Bowtie.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at i-5 Publishing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

a paycheck as long as it lasts

Cons

chaotic environment, hiring and firing/restructuring. Management doesn't want to be held responsible

Best days of this company are in the past.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at i-5 Publishing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some wonderful people work here. Good introduction to publishing industry.

Cons

Salaries have been stagnant for 3 years. Layoffs have been non-stop since 2011. Company will probably dissolve so current owners can write-off losses they inherited from previous owner.

Advice to Management

No sense giving them advice since they won't listen anyway.

i-5 Publishing Photos

Another photo shoot day at the office!

+ Add Photo