iCIMS

Updated August 21, 2014

4.4

iCIMS President & CEO Colin Day
Colin Day

Pros
  • Great work environment, great people, fast growing company with an excellent product (in 7 reviews)

• There is a healthy work-life balance and an emphasis on family life (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Growing Pains: We are growing at an incredible pace and, as a result, experience (in 11 reviews)

• Also, the company is growing rapidly and there are growing pains to mitigate (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Experience

Pros

Great corporate culture
    Jeans attire
    Free bagels and drinks
    Central NJ

Cons

Company is growing fast, management needs to grow
    Pay is lacking

Good Place to Start, Not Great to Stay

Former Employee - Software Developer  in  Matawan, NJ
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Matawan, NJ

Pros

Flexible remote work options
    Fairly casual work environment
    Good place to start out of college
    Good place to learn
    Good team to work with

Cons

Poor compensation near NYC
    Limited advancement potential
    Questionable long-term direction
    Run as a sales organization with technology as an afterthought
    Passion is verbally lauded, but not truly rewarded

Senior employees with knowledge need to be valued properly. An influx of young talent is great, but without good leaders in place can cause big challenges. Follow-through is needed on the claimed company values and culture. Pay needs to be more competitive with NYC jobs, if iCIMS truly wishes to hire top talent and retain employees.

Have learned more than expected selling iCIMS.

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

Pros

Working remotely is great. The sales management team is amazing. They are true mentors, coaches and leaders - not just "do as I say" or "I'll do it for you." They do strive to teach and want to see their team members not just hit but exceed their goals. It's collaborative environment and I really enjoy all the people I work with across all of the departments.

Cons

iCIMS is growing pretty quickly and change is inevitable. If you're looking for a steady pace, this isn't the right place for you. Remote employees, within certain roles, unless you're willing to relocate to NJ, you really don't have much upward mobility.

Engage your remote employees more for feedback. Get more comfortable with hiring remote managers, directors. Clients and prospects like the see the local presence.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Six Years and Counting...

Pros

True transparency and communication on everything at the company. There is never a question about where this company stands today, or where iCIMS is going in the future. They offer a good work/life balance, and many perks and reward opportunities.

Cons

As with any rapidly growing business there are some growing pains. Currently we are understaffed in some areas of the company. Although kudos to iCIMS for not rushing to hire just anybody, but ensuring we make the right hires for our company culture and who meet core competencies.

Please ensure you take performance review conversations seriously.

Balanced working environment

Current Employee - Manager  in  Matawan, NJ
    Current Employee - Manager in Matawan, NJ

Pros

Great transparency from senior management surrounding company goals and objectives. Great team environment focused on hitting goals and objectives. No shortage of celebration when goals are met.

Cons

I would like to see more manager development programs. Appears to be a plan in place for it but not yet executed.

Continue to invest in the growth of the company and it's employees.

Chaotic

Pros

Most of the time, I really do like working at iCIMS. I have a great team and manager, and I often work with very smart, capable, passionate, driven colleagues - who are good people with integrity. What I love about iCIMS the most is definitely the people. Employees find ways to have fun together with happy hours and sports leagues including basketball, softball, soccer, and probably others. The business is very results/metrics driven, but not so much that you can't let off steam by just hanging out at someone's desk or the cafeteria to unwind.

Also, at least on the sales/marketing side, hard work and reaching your goals definitely gets rewarded and recognized.

All this is great. However...

Cons

The best word I could use to describe iCIMS is chaotic. Internal processes are a mess due to being non-existent or not valued/enforced. Information from across departments and especially top down is messy, disorganized, and often hear-say, leaving me disoriented at the end of the day more often than not. Additionally, because important information is not communicated appropriately or timely, departments and even groups within the same department are often found doing double-work, or scrambling to pull a rabbit out of a hat. Yes, these things happen, but at what point are we allowed to say when enough is enough, and be able to actually hold senior management accountable without hearing “Oh yeah, forgot to tell you about that.” I’m actually astounded at the incompetence and complete lack of respect for their direct reports’ that some in a more senior level role are allowed to keep getting away with.

Office politics, especially at the Director/C-level, are unbearable. Just let me do my work and let me do it well! Less interference, more value on employee input, would be amazing. Less shooting from the hip. Less projects that are assigned with no thought-out strategy.

And please, customer success/professional services is understaffed and has been for a long long time. Do something! This is where most of the burn-out is, and probably the voices management hears the least.

I really do like my job and most of my projects. But, the internal struggles, office politics, and lower than industry average pay, make it hard to see iCIMS as anything other than a stepping stone. I say this as someone who actually likes coming to work in the morning: the negative reviews are not from bitter fired employees with a chip on their should who have something to prove. They are legitimate struggles that, for the most part, speak truthfully.

I think most of the “it’s just growing pains” reviews are coming from people who are still relatively new to the company and lapping up the Kool-Aid like dogs. But for veterans (which, at iCIMS, is someone who has only been there 2+ years), it’s starting to/has gone/already went sour. People are sick of the nonsense. And the company has a retention problem as a result.

The company needs to "grow up" and start taking itself seriously, and holding the correct people accountable to communicate what needs to be communicated, and minimize the disorganization within and between departments. Its driving great, hard-working, effective employees mad. Also, I would like to see a little less Directer/C-level interference at the tactical level. You're just creating roadblocks.

Add more staff to customer service.

A little less Kool-Aid, a lot more real-talk.

can't imagine working anywhere else

Current Employee - Geek  in  Matawan, NJ
    Current Employee - Geek in Matawan, NJ

Pros

the work I do is impactful and rewarding. my coworkers are a very talented. it's a joy to work with them on a daily basis, even if they don't choose to agree with everything that I say.

Cons

went to a catered lunch meeting and they had ordered too much pizza and most of them were just plain cheese. wished there were more diversity in the pizza pool. but I don't go to many catered lunches. not sure if this is common.

office365 is just a trial before we switch to google apps, right?

Good, but could be GREAT!

Current Employee - Sales  in  Matawan, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales in Matawan, NJ

Pros

Great People, Great Culture, Great product!

Cons

No stock options. They promote "All in" but only a handful own options.

Upward mobility can be difficult depending on the department or where you live.

You are on the cusp of greatness...Make us "All-in" and watch this place erupt!

Completely Transparent with exceptional qualities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Matawan, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Matawan, NJ

Pros

Good "Top Down" communications, with genuine commitment to provide "Best in Breed" ATS Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) and, to provide exceptional Customer Service.

Cons

This is a pre IPO company and employee "ownership" is not discussed!

Provide a Profit Sharing structure for your employees... This is will contribute significantly to retention!

Review the company holiday's - Most company's provide (minimally)

1) New Year's Day,
    6) Friday after Thanksgiving, and
    7) Christmas Day.
    8) Martin Luther King, Jr. Birthday,
    9) Veterans' Day,
    10) Christmas Eve, and/or New Year's Eve.

Great Place to Start A Career & Solid Place to Develop Long-Term

Current Employee - Manager  in  Matawan, NJ
    Current Employee - Manager in Matawan, NJ

Pros

People: Day-to-Day I find myself working with people I respect & trust. Within my team & in other departments.
    Location: Easy commute from north jersey in the opposite direction of the NYC rush.
    Product: While there are areas to improve, I can stand behind a product that makes my job easier and can convey a message I believe in.
    Opportunity: If you show you're capable & put up good results you'll be rewarded with projects & promotions.

Cons

Wouldn't mind seeing some additional salary growth personally and for people on my team. If you consistently put up outstanding results & ask it's the best way to grow your comp

Opportunity to provide longer career paths to keep/retain top, young talent after the first 3-5 years.
    Continued Training/Development for C-Suite, Directors, and Managers.

Worked for iCIMS? Contribute to the Community!