iContact

A Great Technology Company, Definitely on the Upswing

Current Employee - Product Manager in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at iContact full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Since iContact separated itself from Vocus in May 2014, it has flourished while being driven by a results-oriented president, a leadership team that shares a strong vision for the company, and a team of 100+ employees that all embody the same mission — do what's best for the customer. Each division operates with a customer-first mindset, and the entire company has reclaimed the iContact brand with enthusiasm, which makes coming to work very satisfying.

Employees are given plenty of growth opportunities and everyone has the ability to own an upward trajectory. In my time here, iContact has shown that it values internal promotions and professional growth. It's also great working for a company that's atop its industry because employees feel empowered to act as thought leaders. Everyone has an "Email Expert" T-shirt, and everyone wears it with pride.

As far as time and pay, iContact is in line with the area and its industry. Insurance-wise, iContact has better provisions than most companies in the area. My wife and I expecting our first child and so far have only had to pay a very small amount for our 20-week ultrasound; everything else has been 100% covered.

In my experience, iContact has always stressed work-life balance. Working from home as needed is encouraged among a lot of positions, and you rarely see people in the office (excluding Support) after 6PM. Plus the office has lots of perks that create a positive environment, like unlimited Starbucks coffee and free bagels every Monday. Plus there are fun distractions, which other reviewers have mentioned.

A lot of RTP-area technology companies claim they're doing it right; iContact truly is.

Cons

Because it's a company still in the midst of a transition, there are small, temporary growing pains in a few areas:
    1) Some teams are understaffed while the recruiting team works to fill a bunch of open positions.
    2) Even though there's been a lot of work done to spruce up the office and make it fun, it's still a work in progress. It's definitely not as flashy as some of the other tech offices in the RTP area, but it has its own unique charm.
    3) The application is a bit behind the curve relative to its competitors, but it's getting better quickly.

Management is definitely on the right track. Employees have a voice and also a direction. There's a good flow of communication between leadership and their reports. Ultimately, the best advice I could give is for them to keep doing what their doing and to use force multipliers to help them execute their goals.

Couldn't ask for a better place to work...

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at iContact full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Company Culture is very much centered on work-life balance, some companies brag about a "work-hard/play hard" culture, but iContact lives it.
    -Results oriented sales team and management, which I love. If you perform well, you are rewarded and no one is micromanaging your day to day activity, which makes for a very positive work environment.
    -Transparency across all business units, and all managers have an open-door policy, even upper level managers.
    -Compensation is very competitive, and employees (not just their contributions) are highly valued.
    -Small business/Start Up atmosphere gives the impression that you can truly make a contribution to the business overall, and this impression has proven correct over my 3 years with the company. It very much feels like a family, especially on the sales team.
    -Ping Pong Table, Basketball, Xbox, free Starbucks coffee and other beverages are just a few of the perks around the office. And it's not just "for show," employees are encouraged to get up from their desks, and spend time having fun throughout the day. I think this philosophy makes for a more productive work force.
    -Lots of opportunities for professional development if you are interested, our manager is very conscious of your personal goals and providing you with the tools to prepare you to achieve them.
    -Lots of recent investment in the product, future seems extremely bright

Cons

-Building is a little outdated but the company has made a concerted effort to "spruce" up the place over the past year. Consistent improvements are evident daily, and our complaints about facilities do not fall on deaf ears.

Horrible place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Morrisville, NC

I worked at iContact full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I can not think of a single pro to list as pros. It is a horrible company. Former CEO sold company so it may have changed.

Cons

Management plays favorites, company does not follow standard human resources policies. The company is very much focused on popularity versus talent. If you are related to the right person your job is safe.

Clean house

Great company and working environment!

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at iContact full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are so many great things I can say about iContact and the experience working here. IContact is a fast-paced, changing environment with a work-hard, play-hard mentality. My co-workers are professional and fun on all levels. My salary is competitive and I have great benefits. I’m given all the tools I need to be successful and I’m positively encouraged by management. Senior leadership is approachable and available to help you reach individual success and team success.

Cons

Location is convenient from anywhere in the triangle area, but the building facilities are not up to date, though things seem to be improving. In the Sales Executive role there are little immediate advancement opportunities.

Looks like fun on the surface, but poor direction and poor middle management led to awful work environment

I worked at iContact full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free sodas, a paycheck, lots of items with the company logo

Cons

Awful middle managers, no job security, treats employees in some departments like children

Stop letting good employees go - assuming there are any left.

Great Company, Great People, Great Journey

I have been working at iContact full-time (more than an year)

Pros

No micro management, fun atmosphere, great people, work-hard/play-hard mentality, great product, super smart people who are dedicated to their craft, upward mobility, exciting outlook for the future. Things have been changing for the positive recently and it's a great place to be at this time.

Cons

Things change constantly, which is also common and necessary for any Marketing Company and Technology Company, iContact happens to be in both spaces. Not necessarily a bad thing always.

Continue to spruce up the office, continue on vision for growth for the future.

iContact had no direction and gives people zero chance to adapt and preform.

I worked at iContact

Pros

What can I say besides the free coffee and soda.

Cons

Training was a mess as I was told by my supervisor to do one thing, then told by my direct boss to do something totally else. I was told to ask questions then I was scolded for asking questions and was told that I was being "needy" and was told to apologize to my coworkers. My boss gave me a list of things that I need to improve on and after four days I was terminated because I was not improving. After two months on the job I was let go. I was not given a fair chance to prove myself. There was no structure in training or how we handled billing. Co-workers never attempted to talk to me, super visor was the most unapproachable person I have ever met, and the boss was the rudest person I have worked for.

Get some structure in your training and give people a chance.

Love it besides a few kinks because of acquisition

Current Employee - Sales in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Sales in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at iContact full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-great people, wonderful work dynamic
    -the work environment encourages fun and creativity, but holds your performance at a high standard (basically, most management won't micro-manage as long as you maintain a high level of performance)
    -amazing benefits
    -great product that is very exciting if you are interested in email marketing/SaaS
    -I can't stress more how wonderful the people are

Cons

-most growth opportunities are Vocus opportunities which is headquartered in Maryland
    -there are still some communication and other issues since the acquisition
    -lack of communication between departments

It was great, until....

Former Employee - Marketing in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Marketing in Morrisville, NC

I worked at iContact full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, free sodas, bagel Mondays

Cons

CEO was unsure of vision. Brought in new management and everything changed. Lots of layoffs VERY quickly

A slide doesn't always make a fun work place when you sit right next to it. The vision wasn't clear and changes needed to be made, but they were made so quickly, it intimidated many of the employees.

Great culture!

Current Employee - Technology in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Technology in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at iContact full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun environment, free sodas, and a slide! Really great atmosphere. Lots of leeway to solve problems. Generally smart people with a good work ethic.

Cons

Leadership at times a little meandering in terms of vision and direction. Don't forget that in startup mode, sometimes giving 150% is the norm.

Pick a vision and stick with it! Also, please dispense with politics and drama. Although better than many companies, it's still there.