iContact Reviews

Updated April 12, 2015
26 reviews filtered by
4.2
Peter Granat

1. It's an amazing place to work!

I have been working at iContact full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Office culture, amazing co-workers, growth potential, great benefits, flexibility, excellent leadership

Cons

I have not stumbled across any yet!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing to make iContact the best email marketing platform and the best place for a person to work and learn!

Mar 26, 2015Corporate Recruiter

Thanks for the feedback! We love it and we'll carry on!

2. Great work environment dependent upon your department.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at iContact full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere in the sales department. Transparent and honest management. Great company culture.

Cons

There seems to be empty promises handed out in both departments. Company culture greatly differs depending on what department you are in.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Only thing I would like to see change is for sales and services do more team building.

3. Great Job.

Current Employee - Customer Advocate in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Advocate in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at iContact

Pros

Very laid back and you are not micro-managed.

Cons

There are honestly no cons.

Advice to Management

None

Mar 26, 2015Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for the feedback, we take pride that we're able to avoid micro-management but couldn't do that without our outstanding self-driven employees!

5. Decent company IF you get into the right department.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I worked at iContact

Pros

Interview process was lengthy but very professional, and recruiters contacted when they said they would (unusual for recruiters to show courtesy because after all, you're just a number to most...).
    Free beverages (Starbucks, soda, tea, chicken broth soup, some healthy choices in vending machines.
    Some very nice and helpful coworkers.
    Positive overall company culture.
    Vision of the current Morrisville CEO that customers are valuable and excellent customer service prevails. He is really a genuinely nice guy who believes what he says and who does his best to live it. He is very approachable and even knows the "little guys" by their first names.
    Very understanding about work/life balance - no issues if you have to take care of a sick child, etc.
    They encourage giving back to the community and make it fun.
    No micromanaging, expectation that mature people will get the job done.
    You can take a break, go play a game of ping pong for 10 minutes, return to work, and still have a job.
    Decent place for a young person to start a career, which is why I selected "recommend." However, if you are a seasoned professional, take this for immediate income, but you'll probably want to look elsewhere for a career.

Cons

Pay was lower than comparable positions in this area.
    Lots of steps involved in the hiring process, though, so don't expect a job interview and offer in the same week or two. You may have to interview with 10-12 people (team interview) before you are even considered for a job.
    Big disconnect between some managers and the CEO.
    Big disconnect between some managers and other managers.
    This place can be a "popularity contest" wherein if you kiss up to the manager, your job will be more secure.
    One day they like you, (literally) the next day they don't....and you may not even have done anything different and have no clue as to why.
    Some teams are definitely better than others to work on, and the difference is noticeable.
    Some employees get away with a lot more than they should and are lazy; this creates an unfair work load for others.
    Very clique-ish.
    People can be two-faced, but it could be because the average employee age is probably like 28-30.
    There are "rifts" between departments that may not be absolved - don't allow yourself to get "sucked in although it can be hard to remain neutral because your job may be in jeopardy as a result.
    You can be terminated (regardless of skill set) if your manager doesn't like you.
    Provide solid product training for all, equally. p.s. viewing webinars does NOT constitute product training.
    The CEO thinks he has more qualified managers than he actually does (some of them are just really good b.s.ers).
    Newly acquired in a buy-out so who knows what will happen (company stability in question).

Advice to Management

Just because one may be a manager does not mean that he or she can manage.
    First, make sure promotions to management are warranted and given to the most qualified candidates, not the ones you like or who kiss butt the most.
    Secondly, provide all managers with management training (because some reallllly need it more than others) because there needs to be more consistency.
    The CEO really needs to take an inventory of his managers and upper managers- just because they appear one way with him does not mean that's the way they really are. PAY ATTENTION to employee exit interviews!!
    To the CEO - Don't lose who you are or your vision in the face of possible company downsizing or possible growth.

Mar 10, 2015Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. We are constantly looking for honest feedback that we can use to help us improve the way iContact operates. We're actively addressing many of the items ... More

Positive work environment with great growth potential

I have been working at iContact

Pros

Everyone at iContact is friendly and supportive from the moment you walk in the door. The management strives to make sure their employees are well taken care of on every end of the spectrum. Their benefits are some of the best I've seen offered, the pay is on par with other companies in the area, and who doesn't like unlimited Starbucks or the occasional free bagel. I see truly great things coming from iContact in the future and look forward to being a part of them.

Cons

The office is a very lively place, but sometimes lively can cross the threshold into noisy. I find myself ducking into conference rooms sometimes to find a quiet place to work.

There is still a little bit of confusion in the wake of the latest acquisition. Management is trying their hardest to normalize everything but there is still the occasional hiccup in communication between iContact and the Vocus/Cision end of business. That being said, once the smoke clears a little bit I think iContact will be running like a well oiled machine.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Just don't forget where iContact has come from and don't lose sight of where we are going.

Feb 3, 2015Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for the feedback! We'll keep plugging away.

Great Technology Company !

I have been working at iContact full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

iContact is far from a start-up now !

Teams are engaged and highly qualified to keep up with customer needs. Decent building located right off I-40 & 540 with a few nice touches. Unlimited Soda and Starbucks can really keep the day moving. Culture is unique, and you can add your own dash if you feel compelled.

Cons

Some light confusion about what the future brings for the company being held by GCTR. Like most tech companies there has to be a dash of uncertainty.

Advice to Management

Management teams are great, very transparent and keep open door policies

Feb 3, 2015Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for the feedback! We hope to continue and increase transparency into 2015.

A Great Technology Company, Definitely on the Upswing

Current Employee - Product Manager in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at iContact full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Since iContact separated itself from Vocus in May 2014, it has flourished while being driven by a results-oriented president, a leadership team that shares a strong vision for the company, and a team of 100+ employees that all embody the same mission — do what's best for the customer. Each division operates with a customer-first mindset, and the entire company has reclaimed the iContact brand with enthusiasm, which makes coming to work very satisfying.

Employees are given plenty of growth opportunities and everyone has the ability to own an upward trajectory. In my time here, iContact has shown that it values internal promotions and professional growth. It's also great working for a company that's atop its industry because employees feel empowered to act as thought leaders. Everyone has an "Email Expert" T-shirt, and everyone wears it with pride.

As far as time and pay, iContact is in line with the area and its industry. Insurance-wise, iContact has better provisions than most companies in the area. My wife and I expecting our first child and so far have only had to pay a very small amount for our 20-week ultrasound; everything else has been 100% covered.

In my experience, iContact has always stressed work-life balance. Working from home as needed is encouraged among a lot of positions, and you rarely see people in the office (excluding Support) after 6PM. Plus the office has lots of perks that create a positive environment, like unlimited Starbucks coffee and free bagels every Monday. Plus there are fun distractions, which other reviewers have mentioned.

A lot of RTP-area technology companies claim they're doing it right; iContact truly is.

Cons

Because it's a company still in the midst of a transition, there are small, temporary growing pains in a few areas:
    1) Some teams are understaffed while the recruiting team works to fill a bunch of open positions.
    2) Even though there's been a lot of work done to spruce up the office and make it fun, it's still a work in progress. It's definitely not as flashy as some of the other tech offices in the RTP area, but it has its own unique charm.
    3) The application is a bit behind the curve relative to its competitors, but it's getting better quickly.

Advice to Management

Management is definitely on the right track. Employees have a voice and also a direction. There's a good flow of communication between leadership and their reports. Ultimately, the best advice I could give is for them to keep doing what their doing and to use force multipliers to help them execute their goals.

Couldn't ask for a better place to work...

I have been working at iContact full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Company Culture is very much centered on work-life balance, some companies brag about a "work-hard/play hard" culture, but iContact lives it.
    -Results oriented sales team and management, which I love. If you perform well, you are rewarded and no one is micromanaging your day to day activity, which makes for a very positive work environment.
    -Transparency across all business units, and all managers have an open-door policy, even upper level managers.
    -Compensation is very competitive, and employees (not just their contributions) are highly valued.
    -Small business/Start Up atmosphere gives the impression that you can truly make a contribution to the business overall, and this impression has proven correct over my 3 years with the company. It very much feels like a family, especially on the sales team.
    -Ping Pong Table, Basketball, Xbox, free Starbucks coffee and other beverages are just a few of the perks around the office. And it's not just "for show," employees are encouraged to get up from their desks, and spend time having fun throughout the day. I think this philosophy makes for a more productive work force.
    -Lots of opportunities for professional development if you are interested, our manager is very conscious of your personal goals and providing you with the tools to prepare you to achieve them.
    -Lots of recent investment in the product, future seems extremely bright

Cons

-Building is a little outdated but the company has made a concerted effort to "spruce" up the place over the past year. Consistent improvements are evident daily, and our complaints about facilities do not fall on deaf ears.

Horrible place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Morrisville, NC

I worked at iContact full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I can not think of a single pro to list as pros. It is a horrible company. Former CEO sold company so it may have changed.

Cons

Management plays favorites, company does not follow standard human resources policies. The company is very much focused on popularity versus talent. If you are related to the right person your job is safe.

Advice to Management

Clean house

Mar 10, 2015Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are always looking for feedback in order to improve and make iContact a great place to work. A lot has changed in the past couple of years. We ... More

11. Great company and working environment!

I have been working at iContact full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are so many great things I can say about iContact and the experience working here. IContact is a fast-paced, changing environment with a work-hard, play-hard mentality. My co-workers are professional and fun on all levels. My salary is competitive and I have great benefits. I’m given all the tools I need to be successful and I’m positively encouraged by management. Senior leadership is approachable and available to help you reach individual success and team success.

Cons

Location is convenient from anywhere in the triangle area, but the building facilities are not up to date, though things seem to be improving. In the Sales Executive role there are little immediate advancement opportunities.