iContact Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014
3.6

Peter Granat
1 Rating

Great company and working environment!

Current Employee - Sales Executive  in  Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at iContact full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are so many great things I can say about iContact and the experience working here. IContact is a fast-paced, changing environment with a work-hard, play-hard mentality. My co-workers are professional and fun on all levels. My salary is competitive and I have great benefits. I’m given all the tools I need to be successful and I’m positively encouraged by management. Senior leadership is approachable and available to help you reach individual success and team success.

Cons

Location is convenient from anywhere in the triangle area, but the building facilities are not up to date, though things seem to be improving. In the Sales Executive role there are little immediate advancement opportunities.

Looks like fun on the surface, but poor direction and poor middle management led to awful work environment

I worked at iContact full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free sodas, a paycheck, lots of items with the company logo

Cons

Awful middle managers, no job security, treats employees in some departments like children

Stop letting good employees go - assuming there are any left.

Great Company, Great People, Great Journey

I have been working at iContact full-time for more than a year

Pros

No micro management, fun atmosphere, great people, work-hard/play-hard mentality, great product, super smart people who are dedicated to their craft, upward mobility, exciting outlook for the future. Things have been changing for the positive recently and it's a great place to be at this time.

Cons

Things change constantly, which is also common and necessary for any Marketing Company and Technology Company, iContact happens to be in both spaces. Not necessarily a bad thing always.

Continue to spruce up the office, continue on vision for growth for the future.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

iContact had no direction and gives people zero chance to adapt and preform.

I worked at iContact

Pros

What can I say besides the free coffee and soda.

Cons

Training was a mess as I was told by my supervisor to do one thing, then told by my direct boss to do something totally else. I was told to ask questions then I was scolded for asking questions and was told that I was being "needy" and was told to apologize to my coworkers. My boss gave me a list of things that I need to improve on and after four days I was terminated because I was not improving. After two months on the job I was let go. I was not given a fair chance to prove myself. There was no structure in training or how we handled billing. Co-workers never attempted to talk to me, super visor was the most unapproachable person I have ever met, and the boss was the rudest person I have worked for.

Get some structure in your training and give people a chance.

Love it besides a few kinks because of acquisition

Current Employee - Sales  in  Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Sales in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at iContact full-time for more than a year

Pros

-great people, wonderful work dynamic
    -the work environment encourages fun and creativity, but holds your performance at a high standard (basically, most management won't micro-manage as long as you maintain a high level of performance)
    -amazing benefits
    -great product that is very exciting if you are interested in email marketing/SaaS
    -I can't stress more how wonderful the people are

Cons

-most growth opportunities are Vocus opportunities which is headquartered in Maryland
    -there are still some communication and other issues since the acquisition
    -lack of communication between departments

It was great, until....

Former Employee - Marketing  in  Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Marketing in Morrisville, NC

I worked at iContact full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible work schedule, free sodas, bagel Mondays

Cons

CEO was unsure of vision. Brought in new management and everything changed. Lots of layoffs VERY quickly

A slide doesn't always make a fun work place when you sit right next to it. The vision wasn't clear and changes needed to be made, but they were made so quickly, it intimidated many of the employees.

Great culture!

Current Employee - Technology  in  Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Technology in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at iContact full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun environment, free sodas, and a slide! Really great atmosphere. Lots of leeway to solve problems. Generally smart people with a good work ethic.

Cons

Leadership at times a little meandering in terms of vision and direction. Don't forget that in startup mode, sometimes giving 150% is the norm.

Pick a vision and stick with it! Also, please dispense with politics and drama. Although better than many companies, it's still there.

Used to be a great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I worked at iContact full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The market for the software is growing so they're going to be around for a while. That's assuming, of course, that they continue to serve the same market niche.

Cons

Management isn't local (MD instead of RTP, NC).
    Culture has shifted.
    Lots of parts of the business are outsourced.

Communicate. Communicate. Then communicate again. Don't leave your people with no direction.

Agile is as agile does.

Former Employee - QA Tester  in  Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - QA Tester in Morrisville, NC

I worked at iContact full-time for more than a year

Pros

people seriously dedicated to Agile, continuous development, and testing.
    Amazing culture of corporate responsibility, good perks.
    Super lenient with things you need to do; work/life balance.

Cons

All of those people are gone, after the acquisition by Vocus.
    "Funny-Money" trading system means nothing can actually get done.
    CTO tech snobbery.

Pare yourself down a bit; focus more on improving the product than simply trying to copy the competition. Also, new management, take a cue from the old iContact management, as this review would be much more positive before the acquisition.

Squandered opportunities and failed leadership

Former Employee - Software Developer  in  Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Morrisville, NC

I worked at iContact full-time for more than a year

Pros

Interesting technical challenges, opportunities to learn good tech skills, at the time I was there we had some amazing talent that I learned a lot from (which has since mostly left). The pay was very competitive, I would even say generous.

Cons

Office politics, confused business direction, lots of unnecessary drama, not safe to express opinions that differ from management (even privately). Many people fired (not laid off) for questionable reasons (not me fortunately, but many others). There may have been legitimate reasons that weren't shared in some of these cases, but I'm dubious that it this was true in all cases. A lot of extremely capable technical talent was squandered and ultimately left the company in frustration.

Pick a business direction and stick with it for a few months. Also, try listening to your employees and treating them with respect.

Worked for iContact? Contribute to the Community!