iCrossing Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Brian Powley

Pros
  • There is also a good work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Smart people who want to do well by the clients (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Bloated senior management with little vision (in 4 reviews)

• Extremely top-heavy organization (in 4 reviews)

1. Not the best place to "level up" your skills

Former Employee - Senior User Interface Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior User Interface Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at iCrossing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible work environment, that was very accommodating to my life and family. Relaxed atmosphere, and very nice people

Cons

I was so bored I didn't know what to do with myself. I would usually finish my day's work within about 30 minutes. I would ask around, but everyone seemed content to work on their own stuff and never really needed help. I never once met my boss, and getting ahold of him to request more work was difficult

Advice to Management

pay attention to your employees

2. Good company

Current Employee - Account Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Director in New York, NY

Pros

Happy here.. Good team environment.

Cons

Stressful at times, but that is agency life.

3. Summer Intern

Current Employee - Analytics Intern in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Analytics Intern in Dallas, TX

I have been working at iCrossing (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent work culture and the supervisors are extremely helpful. In a short span of time was exposed to a whole set of new tools to work with. Overall the experience was super awesome!

Cons

The only cons I can think of is the compensation for the internship is slightly on the lower side.

5. Unorganized mess

Former Employee - Community Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Community Manager in New York, NY

I worked at iCrossing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice co workers nice building Great benefits That's about as far as I can go.

Cons

No organization. Horrible experience. Had no idea what he they were doing

6. Good Company and Co Worker

Former Employee - Account Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at iCrossing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed my time at iCrossing and met a number of really good people.

Cons

I have nothing bad to say about iCrossing.

Shadow of its Former Self

I have been working at iCrossing full-time

Pros

It's full of intelligent individuals who are always willing to give a helping hand. The accounts were great and though the hours sometimes long, the perks and overall culture made it worth it. Plus, it's located inside the Hearst building with access to a great cafeteria and other health center/gym benefits. Luckily, they still are really flexible with WFH and tries to instill a proper work/life balance. Also, they do pay slightly higher than most digital agencies but only if you don't mind staying in the same position for a long time and getting zero to minimal pay increases.

Cons

We recently got a new CEO and within weeks, we lost 3-4 departments in 2 waves of layoffs to offset the financial challenges. Many top executives were laid off or resigned and now we have a new set of VPs to help shepherd the new direction we're going in. Except, no one seems to know what the new direction is. New management has alienated themselves from the current staff and unlike previous VPs, hasn't proactively reached out to get to know "us." Teams are shrinking each day as many are openly looking for another job and either new management is oblivious or simply do not care. The great culture we used to have is fading fast and we're running out of reasons to stay. Even before our new CEO's arrival, there were still issues. Promotions seemed to happen only if you ran in the right political circle or threatened to leave. Hours are long, same as any agency, but somehow still manage to squeeze whatever hours left you have in a day to join an account that's very demanding.

Advice to Management

Figure it out fast!

Ruined a Great Company

Current Employee - Media Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Media Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at iCrossing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I used to love working here. We had a lot of great talent and robust culture. Teams were very tight knit with someone of the nicest people I've had the pleasure of working with. One thing that's been pretty consistent is that iCrossing hires smart and hardworking people. Upper management was always extremely approachable though not always forthcoming. Every agency talks about the talent being their number one asset, but we felt that the power that be never did enough to keep that talent. I guess hindsight is 20/20; we didn't know how good we had it.

Cons

We got a new CEO a few months back and everything has been on a slide since. He brought in a bunch of his McCann cronies as C-level execs and it appears that none of them know anything about running a digital agency. There were a lot of grand proclamations when the new leadership came in that a lot of us bought into, but everything that has happened since then is completely counter to the "new direction" we were promised. We heard a lot about bridging the gap between digital media and traditional, but laying off most of the creatives doesn't really line up with that. If anyone thought the company was top heavy before, it's ready to topple over now. And there is zero transparency, as none of the new execs or the CEO would even deign to address mounting concerns. Because of this, most of us have no idea who these execs are and what they do. We know they all hired personal assistants and traveled to Cannes, but not much else. The only thing that works in the company is media, but it seems like management is actively trying to ruin that or at least stand on our feet and prevent us from doing a good job. Their only real plan is to squeeze us for more work, meaning most of us are way over allocated (some to 200%). It's destroyed our "excellence in execution" as they don't want better work, they just want more of it. As more people leave the company, they just heap that work on existing staff. Everyone is working overtime on skeleton crews just to get everything done so there is no time to train what new resources we get or work on new business. We are not being set up for success and working people this much is not sustainable. iCrossing is turning into a churn and burn agency and that is hurt the quality of the work we can put out. All of this has hurt morale and killed what little culture we had left. Culture has been falling apart for a while already and people are leaving the company in droves, but it's essentially non-existent now.

Advice to Management

The writing is on the wall and everyone seems to know it. Righting a ship when you've lost the crew will be difficult.

This Ship May Have Sunk . . .

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at iCrossing (More than 3 years)

Pros

The building in NYC is wonderful and its great to be part of a diversified media company like Hearst. Lots of celebs walking around the parent company. Unfortunately, few people at Hearst know much about iCrossing.

Cons

Three CEOs in three years, all have struggled. The current CEO has either laid off, bullied or alienated of most senior leadership. New replacements have been brought in at much higher costs. There have been three significant rounds of layoffs and very high attrition among the rank and file.

Advice to Management

At least you are being well paid, I hope iCrossing is salvageable. (Note: Brian Powley os no longer CEO)

10. ICrossing a solid Agency

Current Employee - Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at iCrossing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work life balance at ICrossing is great. You will never get this at any other agency. We have a great group of talented people, but are going through some growing pains now. We have a new CEO that is bringing in some super talented executives at the moment and we are all just waiting to see whats next. The changes they making are good, they have been needed for a long time.

Cons

The recent changes, its rough, but we are all excited to see what the new executive team does. Their LinkedIN profiles look amazing so we all expect great things.

Advice to Management

Let's get going and take IC to the next level.

Dysfunctional with no Direction

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at iCrossing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Good location in Santa Monica - food, parking and freeway access is excellent * Strong technical team and good processes around technical integration * Project management is consistent and communicates well * Reasonably flexible and casual work environment

Cons

* Extremely toxic and cliquey atmosphere - I watched two senior people get driven out through office politics, slandering backstabbing and outright disrespect. (There's another review about the office in NYC which almost mirrored my experience) * Zero leadership - it's a small team so you'd think there would be some cohesion and a solid vision. There isn't. Coordination with other offices is scattershot and the relationship with S&S is simply crisis management rather than a true partnership. * Mediocre creative and strategic output - iCrossing is NOT a creative agency. Their strengths are in SEO/SEM * Very dodgy behavior on the corporate side in regards to promotions, bonuses and salaries. They will promise the moon and then simply not deliver with no communication whatsoever. Only after employees hounded management did they manage some excuse on the bonus situation - 6 months after they were due. * Poor organizational structure - PM's do a lot of technical management along with QA.

Advice to Management

It's time to clean house. Several very senior quality employees were driven away because of the toxic atmosphere. Get rid of your management and account teams and start over. Optimize your org chart, refine your goals and communicate what the LA office is for. Right now, the inmates are running the asylum and it's not good.

RSS Feed </> Embed