iData Research

Updated Jul 3, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Kamran Zamanian

Moving in a positive direction

Human Resources Generalist (Current Employee)
    Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsGrowth potential, learning opportunity, dynamic culture

ConsAdditional changes and initiatives still need to be implemented

Advice to Senior ManagementI joined iData as the Human Resources Generalist a little over 4 months ago, so I can’t really comment on anything that happened within the company prior to my start. What I do want to say is that on a personal level I’ve had my own experience working within growing organizations and have experienced first hand that every growing business will have certain growth pains. What is important to me is that there is a dedication to implementing positive change going forward, which there is, since I started we already implemented a few new processes and initiatives, with others to come in early 2014. I joined the company to support the business and its goals, but I am also here to support our employees. I care about our employees feeling heard and supported, having equal opportunities for growth within the company, and having a positive experience while they are here. I really do feel that there is a lot of potential here and we are moving in the right direction, and to me that is what is important and that is what I'm focusing on.

If anyone is interested in speaking with me further about iData, or about any of our opportunities I am always happy to discuss further.

Human Resources Generalist

iData Research - The Worst Company To Work For

Lawyer (Former Employee)
    Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsAs everyone indicates, everyone except the CEO and the boot-kissing HR are really pleasant. The title is great, but not much else.

ConsThe Euro time shifts really screws up the internal clock.
    Despite all the "activities," nothing makes up for the crappy work, micromanaging, low-pay, boring projects, constant criticism and repeated dismissal from people we cold-call.
    As you "advance" in your career, more is expected from an individual within the same time constraints and with little to no pay incentive.
    Overtime is expected, especially when you are constantly being browbeaten by the CEO.
    Spying and general sneakiness is the norm, expect to be called out for taking too long for lunch or surfing the net on your "lunch break"
    Most people understand that this is an entry-level job, however, the CEO understands it the most and tries to squeeze the most out of a person before they inevitably crack under the pressure.
    When a person leaves iData, for whatever reason, they are invariably ridiculed and put down in an obviously strategic manner - this is sad because the CEO is not able to be happy for people who leave to pursue better opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire any more people. Shut your scam of a business down and let everybody be free from your evil company. Either start obtaining real research or stop lying to your customers about the validity of your research.

Any chance of career growth occurs once you leave the company. Stop lying to your employees about any chance of moving past a glorified "supervisor" status.

BELIEVE THE REVIEWS from the workers, not the managers from iData

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWhat does it tell you when all the reviews are negative, except the few rosy ones from the HR or the managers?

Isn't that exactly what the problem is: a disconnect between the top and the rest of us. Managers and the CEO using long fancy paragraphs to justify the ways they do their business.

To the previous review by the HR: everything sounds fine..except that's the way on paper, not in reality. My question would be:

If the company is as awesome as you make it to be, why are people leaving with a 100% plus turn over rate? and why can't you stop all the negative reviews coming in?

Are you accusing everyone is lying ?

Consrefer to all the other reviews!

Advice to Senior Managementplease don't try to convince people otherwise..this company sucks and everyone knows it.

How much did you get paid from the CEO to write all these shiny reviews?

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Should you work here if you have other options? No. Just No.

Research Analyst (Former Employee)

Pros- Most (but not all) of the co-workers are bright, sweet and fun to be around
    - Job title looks good on a resume

ConsWhere to start?!? First advice: Don’t apply/take to this job if you have other options.

CEO’s actions are sneaky and underhanded. He will promise raises, promotions and bonuses. When you meet your goals he will do or say anything to get out of it. Makes contracts with loopholes and vague wording to get around this. Be very careful about reading the contract (better yet, rip it up in front of his face into tiny pieces and then take those pieces and "make it rain" on his desk). Warning: in your fist/second interview he will promise a base salary with an amazingly high bonus which is (in reality, almost impossible to get).

Analysts are worked to the bone for little pay or recognition. Actually, you are blamed for the any problems of reports despite the overtime, hard work, innovation and intelligent ideas you put into your work. Because of the research methodology, it is nearly impossible to make a good quality report…..and when the client complains….the office points the finger at the analyst.

Also, management puts all energy into sales and no resources into improving the product and the wonders why some big clients don’t come back. Business strategy is: fast results over quality. However, No one wants to pay a ton of money for bad quality stuff. It is basic business. If customers complain, upper management just chalks it up to a bad analyst…..Seriously, how many times can you do that until you realize that it is your bad practices and not the highly educated and hard-working analyst?

Management is so delusional or doesn't care enough to see that the low quality products stem from lack of training, lack of actual proper analysis, poor “research methodology”, disgustingly short timelines, lack of proper resources or support to the analyst.

While most co-workers are awesome, some employees at the office won’t hesitate to throw you under the bus to make themselves look good. Beware of some people in the QA department, publishing department and senior analysts. If they are behind in their work (because they were pursuing their personal projects during office hours), they will immediately say it was the analyst’s awful work that slowed them down.

Employees are encouraged to snitch on each other. Disgusting. So the more inexperienced employees believe that they must make up stuff about fellow employees or make a big deal of nothing in order to impress upper management.

90% of the analyst work is begging people to interview with you. Only apply if you have thick skin and call center experience. You are given bad numbers to verify and have to cold call people who do not want to be talking to you. Some people will actually laugh in your face or hang up on you.

You are coerced to do overtime because timelines for projects are unrealistically short. In order to maintain a basal level of quality you have to come in on weekends and work 10-12 hour days.
    Despite the products you help sell, disastrous reports your fix, clients you gain, they will bad mouth you as soon as you leave. Almost every employee that has left during my one+ year tenure there (and there were at least 20 out of an office of about 25) has been bad mouthed in some way after they left. .

And the poor sales people! They are micro-managed and over worked. They are constantly held accountable for not meeting sales numbers. And yet, the majority of their time is spent in meetings. They can’t sell things if they are constantly assuaging the worries of upper management!
    Most new sales people (and some old) are given bad or very little products to sell and then are reprimanded when they don’t meet unrealistic sales goals. When they ask for new or more reports to sell, they are told: “your division isn't selling well, so we don’t want to risk the “good” reports on you.” Management doesn't even see the vicious cycle they are creating.
    Management refuses to build relationship with business partners and then wonders why it is so hard to find people to interview or sell to. Sales are forced to cold call instead of working on building relationships.

Poor office infrastructure. Analysts and sales people often end up calling the same clients/interviewees in a day/week as there is no way to keep track of this. Management doesn't care how it alienates the client.

Now, you might think: “I will just talk to management if there are problems. The “positive” reviews say things are changing!” Trust me. They are not changing. They are completely the same. Management does not listen and if you do bring up any issues, you are labeled a “complainer”.

Or you might think: “I don’t mind working hard for my first real job!” You are set up to fail. You will have to work so hard to attain the impossible goals they give you and then when you don’t attain them, management uses that as an excuse to cheat you somehow. If do attain them (because you have been working 10-12 hour days and weekends), CEO will try to cheat you out of any money/bonuses he has promised you anyway. Lose-lose!

It is a slap in the face when you put your tears, blood, sweat and heart into the work you do and your employer turns around and tries to cheat you or sets you up to fail.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead above. Update your methodology and sales strategies. Treat your employees with respect. Treat your work with respect. Treat your clients with respect. It is as simple as that.

Believe the Reviews. Worst. Company. Ever.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-Great coworkers, there are a lot of amazing employees at iData that have impressive degrees (it's too bad it's wasted at iData).
    - The location is close to public transit and near a lot of restaurants for lunch

ConsDoes "everything" cover this category of what's wrong with it?

- PLEASE PLEASE believe all of the reviews on iData and REVIEW your contract. The contract has so many downfalls with sneaky wording. They will do everything in their power to cheat you out of money, every possible way.

- Employees are not listened to. They ask for feedback and your opinion but it doesn't matter. Management is so under performing, but it doesn't matter. They still get raises for doing minimal work. The CEO micro manages everything. Once you start getting freedom on something, he finds a way to manage that was well, nothing gets by without his approval.

- You work 9 hour days. I have never in my life worked at a company where you are expected to work 7-4. Ever. It's usually 7 hours plus 1 hour for lunch, but at this company it's 8 hours +1 for lunch. Plus, the CEO expects you to work overtime, all the time. Don't ever do it. You won't get appreciation for it, ever and there's no upper management to move up to.

- The office furniture is so uncomfortable, and they are unwilling to spend money on anything. There are no budgets. The only thing they care about is sales. No matter what the strategy is, it involves lying to customers and making up numbers (because reports require such a short turnaround time to be written).

- The CEO will constantly lie to you about how well you are doing, you are set-up to fail from the beginning. New research analysts are expected to work on Europe time, by themselves. If you have questions, you'll have to ask it in an email because there is no one around. You are given a list with wrong information and expected to make cold calls for hours trying to find someone to give you information about a certain segment.

- You will never be happy. Your "performance review" may begin with oh you are doing well in this and this, BUT ...., ...., .....,. There is no way you will be praised for what you do.

- There is no freedom at this job, just when you start to feel a grasp of the workload like I did after 6 months, you will be loaded with tasks that you can no longer take it anymore. There is no, oh you are busy, so these are the priorities and do the rest when you have time, no. It's you have to finish all of these five tasks this week, and it should only take you a day.

- They will lie to you about what tools are available to help you with your job. You will be told "this exists", "this exists," when in fact it's a half compiled spreadsheet 2 years ago written by someone else who also couldn't take it anymore, so you are starting from scratch with everything you do.

- It's such low pay. You can find a better job anywhere else. They hire students straight out of University so they feel that they accomplished landing a huge job here. No, it's officially the worst job I have ever had in all my years of experience in other companies. They will cheat you out of any pay, and everything is tied, into sales bonuses that will never be reached.

- The AMOUNT OF MEETINGS Is horrendous. You will spend literally your entire day, 4 days a week in meetings, updating the CEO as to what you are doing. This is part of his micromanaging technique. He doesn't trust a single employee to do anything. He limits your ability to access folders on the hard drive, asks you to pass everything through him for approval, he limits your ability to export data from a system, is ALWAYS in the office and even wanders around the office to ensure everyone is working, and is constantly pestering you, calling you - all the time you can be using to get your actual job done, only to realize when you have ANOTHER meeting with him, you didn't get it done because he interrupted you.

- Management holds little regard for any employees: 9 hour work days, 2 sick days with pay, when you are sick you have to explain yourself, some employees are still expected to work on the weekend and are communicated to by the CEO because he never turns off from work, the health and dental plan is so basic (barely anything is covered), feedback is not asked for, when you are injured the CEO will ask you if this will affect your job performance.

** Everything is wrong with this company. There's no where to move up to, low pay, 9 hour work days plus overtime, too many meetings, too much work, no respect and no real benefits. Please DON'T APPLY. Trust all of the reviews on here, we are doing you a huge favour and saving you years off your life.**

Advice to Senior ManagementRead everything as above. You all treat employees like garbage. Management themselves doesn't have much to do and the other employees are doing all the work with pathetic pay.

Unfulfilling Work - Terrible Management

Research Analyst (Current Employee)
    Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Pros-very nice, talented group of employees
    -friendly, laid-back atmosphere
    -location (About to change)

Cons-terrible management/micro-management that does not allow you to do your actual job
    -skewed incentive structure: if the product is good, there is zero appreciation, if it is bad, it is completely your fault. Management does not take responsibility.
    -unrealistic work hours (1-2 months on Europe time,12-8am every year, with no commensurate compensation)
    -no clear growth path
    -delusional revenue expectations
    -unfair assessment of employees. To keep turnover in control, management turns a blind eye to employees who are consistently late, do not perform well and are unprofessional. Employees who are professional and work hard are not noticed/appreciated enough.
    -sales burden expected to be shared by everyone. Analysts, as well as other non-sales employees, are asked regularly to somehow contribute to sales but are not given a clear idea as to how they can do so.
    -no support mechanism established for analysts. They end up being the sole responsible for every aspect of the product, which needs to be produced in a very short amount of time. As a result, product quality is questionable.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement does not understand basic business concepts such as:

*trade-off between quality and quantity,
    *correlation between the length of a report and the time required to write it,
    *business cycles and revenue fluctuations (the company is expected to sell more than its peak performance reached at some distant past every month),
    *incentive structures to motivate employees (zero incentive to put out a good quality product),
    *investment requirements (management does not invest in experienced analysts, data sets, support staff, software, hardware to put out better products and increase revenues)...

Management has zero accountability for any negative outcome. Every single problem is the fault of someone else. I cannot give any advice to management because they are not capable of listening, understanding and caring about anything other than current month profits and have no long term planning capabilities.

The only kind of analyst who can succeed and be happy at this company is someone who is able to detach himself from the work he does emotionally and leave concerns at work at 5:30pm every day. If you try to take pride in what you do, worry about doing a good job, care about who you work for, and what kind of business practices you support (i.e. ethical, transparent, quality-oriented), this workplace will be emotionally draining and not fulfilling.

Fear Mongering Their Way to the top

Analyst (Former Employee)
    Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Pros+ I really enjoyed my fellow employees and made some friends for life. Unfortunately, almost all of the people who I worked with when I arrived left during my 14 month stint at the company.

+ the location was great as I live just a short walk away. I couldn't have picked a better location if I tried.

Cons- turnover is super high for the few reasons outline below. I must've seen at least 40 people come and go in the 14 months I was with the company. Considering an average headcount of 25 employees at any given time, this is INSANELY high!

- management is corrosive. They don't listen to employee feedback, micromanage with heavy hand, and have repressive policies. THis doesn't surprise me as the entire culture seems to take on the personality of the CEO. I don't think I've ever seen an egomaniac as big as Kamran Zamanien - and for him to call himself 'doctor' in his dealings with the healthcare industry despite not being a doctor is utterly dispicable. What exactly is his doctorate in? Incompetence? Fear mongering?

- pay is low. Thank god I lived close by because paying for transportation may have made my salary untenable.

- they hire new grads which is great but they throw them to the wolves by expecting them to be experts in medical markets in less than a few months.

- Working us to the bone but not paying for the extra effort drives almost everyone away.

- Management doesn't listen to feedback. THey hold little regard for feedback (most of them complaints)

Advice to Senior ManagementJust look at the feedback here on Glassdoor and you'll know what to do -- fire yourselves!

Positively Moving Forward

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGrowing Opportunities and Great Team Members

ConsNeeding to adjust to growth change

Advice to Senior ManagementI started working with the iData team this year, and I wanted to take this opportunity to address all the comments made over the last few months.

Our organization has grown substantially over the last few years and as a result of our success, we have recognized and implemented internal infrastructural changes. These changes are supporting future corporate initiatives and most importantly, providing our team with the opportunity that we as an organization are proud of.

It is perfectly understandable that not everyone is convinced of our future commitment and those who have chosen to leave, have done so as a result of personal reasons and not lack of career support. I would also like to state that as an organization, we have not had a unreasonable turnover of employees. Our team is made up of young, intelligent, ambitious, hard work individuals who put 100 percent effort into their professional and personal success. We are looking for like minded individuals to join us in our current expansion.

If you are considering an opportunity with iData Research, I invite you to call me directly to discuss any inquiries or concerns you may have. I will be more then happy to discuss your career interests and invite you to our office, so that you can experience our culture first hand.

Sales Manager

Great People, Poor upper management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood working environment, friendly culture. Great learning experience and potential for growth

ConsMicromanagement, poor communication between managers and analysts, low pay for the amount of work required. very few benefits/incentives

Culture of living in fear

Sales (Current Employee)
    Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Proslots of work space. office furniture is nice, in a good location

ConsI want to paint an accurate picture of iData Research so anyone considering an interview or position here can get all the facts before they make a decision
    I am a current member of the sales team and want to start off by saying this is a poisonous culture and as far as I know every one of my peers is looking for a job elsewhere.
    The management model at iData Research is based on fear and being spied on and being forced to perform outdated sales techniques (non stop cold calling to high level executives – this works when youre selling timeshares through a phone book but not in this industry)
    Our days are made up of making up stories to management just to get them off our backs, telling them we will do what they say just so they leave us alone and then do something completely different when they leave
    We dont do this because we are bad people, management at iData Research just doesnt know what works in sales because they dont perform sales activities themselves or even know how…hard to respect them when they cant even show us that they can make any sales themselves
    Everyone at iData Research is constantly afraid of being called into an office for a talking to, or to get threats where its made clear that you are on the chopping block. The sales person then lives in fear until they improve their sales (by doing the exact opposite of what theyre threatened and pressured to do) or they actually do get fired. 90% of the sales people that have worked at this company that I’ve witnessed have been in this place of fear one time or another.
    The strangest thing I find about working at iData Research is that the sales management doesn’t know the product we’re selling or even the tiniest technical aspects of what we do, and it doesn’t even seem like they want to try (maybe they just realize they don’t have the ability to learn it because its too hard for them) – watching them write an email completely filled with spelling errors doesn’t give us much confidence. How they feel no shame in pretending they know how to sell a product they don’t understand and that they can even tell us what to do to our faces makes no sense to me.
    Everyone at iData Research puts on a brave face to keep their jobs but the complaining when management isnt there is serious and non stop. It appears every couple weeks someone is either fired or quits and the size of the company always stays the same even though new people are constantly being hired. If you dont believe me, take a look at our website. I dont think the open positions have ever come down.
    The pay is so low you could make more at a decent retail position (not kidding) and you are pressured into working minimum 9 hour days and sometimes you have to come in the middle of the night especially when management starts panicking about bad sales. If you don’t work at least 9 hours a day people glare at you and the iData Research office spies tell management. The reason people get promoted to “senior” status so quickly is because the pay was so low to start with that even after becoming a senior sales person or senior analyst pay is well below industry standards even for an entry position.
    If you start at iData Research, dont believe the promises you will receive of six figure salaries, management positions, great corporate culture etc like I got tricked into. Be realistic and believe the statistic. Tthe average sales person is here for a few months if they’re lucky, whether they’re let go or they’re unhappy to the point they leave. There is a reason the internet is flooded with poor reviews of iData Research. Believe them.

Advice to Senior Managementtreat employees like humans (pay them a fair wage, don't pressure us into working more 8 hours a day LUNCH INCLUDED without paying us for it, don't lie to us about everything). managing doesnt mean ruling through threats, fear and using spies

Worked for iData Research? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at iData Research reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for iData Research CEO Kamran Zamanian . All 19 reviews posted anonymously by iData Research employees.