iDirect Technologies Reviews

Mary Palermo Cotton

TAC support engineer

Current Employee - TAC Support Engineer in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - TAC Support Engineer in Herndon, VA

I have been working at iDirect Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good startup place in SatCom field

Cons

No room for further self-development

Advice to Management

Care more for people they depended on

2. Very Unethical Harassment !

Former Employee - Qualification Test Engineer in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Qualification Test Engineer in Herndon, VA

I worked at iDirect Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of good engineers, but we could not sustain our jobs with the company because of the unethical politics plaid by the old competitive employees and managements to destroy us all.

Cons

The more we new dedicated hard working engineers getting good work done for our managers and the company, the more the old competitive employees attacked us. After we, the victim engineers reported to our managers for helps, instead of stopping the old competitive employees from creating troubles to harass us the managers composed more fake stories to defame us to create 1st warnings for us. We got our jobs terminated, after getting another attack from another old competitive employee, because we had no improvement from the 1st warnings created by our managers. The whole thing was so unethical harassment and iDirect HR always stand behind to support this on going unethical harassment. They threat us with a lawyer warning if we were not happy with their unethical harassment, requested for helps and fairness.

Advice to Management

Behave your selves !

Software Engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Herndon, VA

I have been working at iDirect Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great location, good restaurants in the area. It is very difficult to come up with more positive things to say here.

Cons

Currently the company stays afloat by pushing aggressive sales of legacy products; those were developed when iDirect was a good place to work at. Unfortunately today that is not the case. Reorganizations: iDirect went through two reorganizations in less than 1 year – it's a total chaos. Currently the company is focused on implementing the Agile-Waterfall process. High rate of attrition: 5 high-level executives, including the CTO, left the company. About 12 well-qualified, knowledgeable, and integral engineers left the company in the past 8 months. Today the company pays a good amount of money for a referral. Toxic politics: most employees in the company are divided into camps (scrum teams, squads, and guilds – yes, those are official) lead by incompetent mid-management. Throw-over-the-wall mentality constantly leads to laud confrontations, accusations, and toxic working environment. Technical debt: the company is drowning in it's technical debt. Poorly-written and undocumented code is the foundation of legacy and new products. Engineers spend about 75% of their time reverse-engineering legacy systems. Most people who wrote the code are no longer around. Unrealistic schedule and long working hours: it is expected from employees to stay late and work trough weekends on regular basis, which necessary to sustain unrealistic schedules. Lunch meeting are very common; however, lunch in not provided. The burnout rate is very high. There are many great high-tech companies in Northern Virginia and Maryland; VT iDirect is not one of them.

Advice to Management

Understand and address the real problems in the company. Ask why the attrition rate is so high. Slim down the mid-management.

5. Good company to work for

Pros

Lot of opportunities to learn and grow

Cons

Need some process improvement.. dsadas asdasd asdasd asdasd asdasd sasd

6. Great Place, with usual growing pains

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I worked at iDirect Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Solid team, colleagues who generally are positive and enjoy what they do. Compensation is good, but not any better than the other area tech firms.

Cons

Location leaves a bit to desired of; there isn't much to do in Herndon compared to the West Coast or New York (or even Tysons/DC). The onsite fitness center isn't the best, but it is a nice touch.

Advice to Management

Continue growing and including career paths for employees.

7. Firmware Engineer II

Current Employee - Firmware Engineer II in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Firmware Engineer II in Herndon, VA

Pros

Broad Spectrum of tasks. Very Innovative and lot of great projects. Great place to get good technical experience. The work atmosphere is relaxed and not too much politics in most groups. If you stick around for 2+ years you will get 4 weeks of PTOs and then some more 5+

Cons

If the company doesn't meet yearly revenue target no bonus for anyone. Without the bonus the salary is not completive with out similar jobs. If they don't meet these target 2 years in a row lot of competent people leave and it takes forever to refill those positions.

8. Buyer

Pros

Never feel bored because of high work load

Cons

Lack of process and procedure

Look out - Losing many good people now

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Herndon, VA

I have been working at iDirect Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Was fun during the heyday years (2001-2012) but like all good things, this too has come to and end. Still some potential but this is not going to be a growth company now.

Cons

The company has lost so many engineers and others like in supply chain, products and testing that were key to the success. They can't hire fast enough and many peoples turn down the offers based on what they hear and see from current and old employees. Many department leaders are not used to managing in this type of environment and are failing. Company leadership daily is nonexistent - Several execs come in maybe 2 days a week and expect to be effective, others have been in their C level jobs for 10 years and do nothing now but get huge salaries and fly around the world in 1st class for show. Other execs are never heard from expect when there is a crisis or at the company meeting once a quarter. People are worried and afraid.

Advice to Management

Get executives who can show up and do the work every day and make a difference to turn things around. Communicate with your teams more often.

Highly depends on the team and manager

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Herndon, VA

Pros

* Bonus was relatively high in 2013 * Some teams had a relaxed work weeks * Interesting technology * Some good managers

Cons

* If you didn't have luck you got a really bad management * Some teams had stressful work weeks including expected Saturday work * You got into the wrong team, you had to work with boring technology

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to replace your management peers

never consider this one

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Herndon, VA

I have been working at iDirect Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Phone screening is very easy and not difficult to get onsite interview opportunity. Good way to gain interview experience for fresh students.

Cons

The salary is not attractable. The current project is boring and no future. The cost for the onsite interview will not be reimbursed. The HR is the worst based on my 30+ interview experience.

RSS Feed </> Embed