iHerb

Reza Faraee

Best Company EVER!!!!

Current Employee - Manager in Moreno Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Moreno Valley, CA

I have been working at iHerb full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great Team work, community, recognition,

Cons

Creating a better eating atmosphere and more options in the vending machines.

Continue to support, recognize and encourage your team.

A Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at iHerb

Pros

Technology is constantly being improved
    Company values are deeply felt
    Impressive growth today and in the future

Cons

Company is growing so fast that scalability is a challenge

FANTASTIC PLACE TO WORK! BEST JOB I'VE EVER HAD!

Current Employee - Web Developer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at iHerb

Pros

Plenty of opportunity to learn and grow. I have learned by far more at iHerb than anywhere else. Recently, an incompetent contractor was hired on and has been posting a bunch of negative stuff in here, but ignore it.... He's just upset that he got dismissed for being totally clueless.

Cons

Sometimes too many projects going on at once.

Do a better job at screening employees/contractors. The bad ones will continue to haunt you.
    Finish one project before moving onto the next.

Coders Beware

Former Contractor - Middle-Tier Developer in Irvine, CA
    Former Contractor - Middle-Tier Developer in Irvine, CA

I worked at iHerb as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

1. You get 3 monitors if you want, maybe more.

2. Good pay - I was making almost $80 as a W-2 contractor, but now I hear recruiters offering $50-60.

3. Free coffee and snacks.

4. Great place if you are a compulsive, sloppy hacker. Everything is hard-coded. No published standards, so you can do whatever works, until someone notices. But there are no code reviews, except maybe on release days, and then you are SOL.

5. Some pretty nice people, except for the Iranian core, which seem insular and nepotistic as other reviewers have noted. No real sociopaths, some of the people are just unprofessional or lazy, like the product owners, and it shows in their work. Other people work really hard, like QA and the front-end devs and they are a pleasure to work with.

6. If you are utterly non-controversial, soft-spoken, even mute, or just know Farsi, you will do fine and probably thrive there. Assert yourself or call BS on something and expect the stink-eye and the pink-slip.

Cons

1. It was the worst code-base I ever worked on, by far, and I've worked at dozens of companies. Every anti-pattern you could think of -- magic numbers and strings everywhere, and a WCF Frankenstein architecture that was hacked together in some 3-month death march. Plus, it was originally written by a bunch of the Persian guys now in management, so everything was in broken English ("ManagementClasseses").

2. On the day of the release, you may get a random code review that requires all sorts of refactoring. You will then be bullied into releasing the code without testing. If it does blow up, it is your fault. If you deploy to Dev to at least do a smoke test, a manager may ask you what you are doing. No time for that!

3. Every deploy is a drag-and-drop to a server, even prod. No build server, no batch files, not even an xcopy. A release is an all-nighter involving surgical edits of config files and trial-and-error.

4. The IT department is literally two sections in different parts of the Irvine office. One part is the back office development, and one part is the web-site code. The two departments are always playing Spy-vs.Spy with each other in the shared hairball of code, so the devs get caught in the middle.

5. Any change has to be duplicated in sometimes 3 different places, and code is copy-and-pasted everywhere. Total cargo cult mentality. Ask why they do it this way and you will get the standard answer -- we've always done it this way.

6. Now this is a first, in my 20 years of coding. You may be asked to work on the Chinese version of the website, because the Chinese love Herbal medicine, and the site barely works in China. I had a lead keep telling me the shopping cart was broken because he kept clicking on the cart and nothing would happen. It worked fine, he just couldn't read the Chinese message that said "Your cart is empty." That cost an hour on release day.

7. An absolute, relentless Not-Invented-Here attitude. Everything is a hand-rolled hack, from loggers to exception handlers.

8. High turnover. The developer before me lasted three months, and it wasn't even two months before I agreed to part ways. They are always hiring in OC, but not because they growing, they are churning.

9. You can't fix any of the fundamental problems because they are in a perpetual state of "moving to a different platform" like SQL-Server to MySQL, and IIS to ngenx or some other silver bullet.

10. Sweating out a complex release in fire-drill mode is actually an emotional bonding exercise for the team that some of the people crave and the clearly enjoy. They will never agree to Continuous Integration, automated deployments, build servers, or anything in the Joel Test that will deprive them of this adrenaline rush.

1. Get some diversity in management. The Persian nepotism may fly in Tehran, but not in the US of A. It is blatant and may lead to a lawsuit.
    2. Scrap the whole code base and start from scratch. You did it wrong and it will only cost you more money to keep band-aiding it.
    3. Find the internal blockers of change and new ideas and purge them or marginalize them. Bring in some new blood.
    4. Implement code-reviews, CI, and a build server.

Not that many challenges, but have to pay attention to the detail

I have been working at iHerb

Pros

Regular work hours and good for new graduated schools. My department more tends to Asian Culture.

Cons

Arrange the shipment go out from warehouse

A growing company, lots of possibilities, lots of problems needed to be fixed

I have been working at iHerb full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The beneficial plan, 401K plan and the the employees discounts on products.

Cons

Ironically, The HR department is poor at handling problems.
    And the managements here are extremely tolerant to some employees' sexual harassments to female co-workers. Basically, the employees here need to think for themselves for iHerbs has no clear career plan for young people.

Iranian Dictatorship

Current Employee - Technology in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Technology in Irvine, CA

I have been working at iHerb

Pros

Fast-paced and good location in SoCal.

Cons

Upper management is a secretive group of Iranians so who run the company like a dictatorship through a bunch of clueless, yes-men middle managers.

No thanks!

Working with Corporate recruiter

I have been working at iHerb

Pros

I have been working with the corporate recruiter since she started at iherb. She sincerely believes in partnering with us as an outside Staffing firm. She does her very best to find talent for the hiring managers by getting specs and feedback. She gives 150% to achieve this. She is a great listener and is very open to new ideas.

Cons

The company is growing so rapidly it is sometimes difficult for her to get detailed specs and feedback. It is not for lack of trying. The company is like a start up going 100 mph. We have placed many happy candidates here that are pleased with their career path.

Enjoy my job, but not the upper management tug-of-war.

I have been working at iHerb full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have been work here for just over three years and I can honestly say that I enjoy my job. I like who I work with, I enjoy the job itself, and the challenges that come along with a company that is growing at the rate iHerb is. The overall compensation (pay, benefits, holidays etc.) is ok. It's not by far not the best compensation package I have had, but it is by far not the worst either.
    The company provides a monthly event for the employees, which includes food and games.

Cons

The political tug-of-war that goes on with upper management is a joke and does have the potential of ruining what the owner has worked so hard to create.

Stop fighting with each other and listen to your managers.

" Excited to join the Iherb team "

Former Employee - Software Systems Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Software Systems Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at iHerb full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Always fun events and food , helpful management and mad my new career transition smooth and exciting

Cons

Commute to work from IE to Irvine but I'll be moving soon

Keep up the good work ! It s a joy to be recruited and introduced to a company that rewards hard work . I enjoy the structured workplace that holds everyone accountable to achieve the company's goal and expectations