iMapData

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Laurence J. DeFranco

Rewarding intern experience, was able to work on many innovative projects

Intern (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsWas able to get involved in several innovative projects. Project leaders, and intern coordinator, were very good! Upper management were avaiable and very friendly. Intern porgram included weekly lunch meetings to have representatives from all elements of the company speak about what they do.

ConsThere is a noticeable lack of office culture, some projects can be very tedious as they require manual data entry.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile iMapData is a small/medium company it can feel much larger- find ways for employees to get to know each other.

Some nice perks, with the occasional middle finger from management

ProsThe salary is competitive in a good way. Free snacks, soda, coffee, and tea. The flagship software is undergoing architecture changes that will bring it in line with leading big data applications and provides tremendous learning opportunity for software developers looking to broaden their skill sets. The team itself is helpful and easy to get along with.

ConsThe company is coming out of a stressful time that saw the departure of several key employees, some of whom were a big part of why I joined the company in the first place. The software development department was actually part of marketing until recently, which led to many instances of marketing making promises that could not be delivered without listening to input from the software department. However, recent reorganizations have eliminated this conflict. When someone is fired or let go, the company does it in the sneakiest way possible to avoid even allowing them to say "goodbye". The office is done in some modern style that looks like the construction crew quit in the middle of the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've done some good things to make employees feel wanted, like the free food and the Starbucks gift cards. However, there's no need to treat people so harshly on the way out of the door. And we find it disturbing when someone is around one day, but absent without word the next... and the next... and the next. Frankly, it's demoralizing and says to us, "We don't really need you".

UI Designer

UI Designer (Former Employee) Tysons Corner, VA

ProsBeautiful office space, challenging work, great development team, nice folks and open minded usually, ping-pong table and free snacks

ConsIn the process of big stressful changes. Be prepared to work hard and cover multiple projects many times. Relies too much on government contracts, restricting some web technology

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed a proper design process, and time and money for all of that. Designer can't just be given work that's finished by a developer. The design get needs to be making decisions before anything is made with wireframes, mockups, etc.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great experience working at iMapData

ProsGreat atmosphere, room for growth. The higher-ups are very open to new ideas, overall it is a great collaborative environment.

ConsIt's a small company still and very spread out, so despite not having many employees it's difficult to get to know everyone.

Internship

Intern (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsThe people were fun. The internship director wasn't overbearing and gave the interns enough space. The weekly meetings with other company executives were interesting ways to learn about the company and how it started. Weekly lunches were catered!

ConsAll about data entry. There are numerous other distractions from data entry, but the position really focuses on nothing else

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't pitch an internship that promises full immersion into all aspects of the company when it's really all about data entry 8 hours a day

Very nice people!

Intern (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsThe people who work at iMapData are very kind and are always willing to help.

ConsSlow to make company changes, especially with regards to social media

iMapData

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsSmall company, you don't feel lost among other employees. Very easy to get used to the company culture. Weekly meetings .

ConsFeeling of being isolated from all the other employees. No sense of company unity or any kind of company culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to make employees interact with each other more while still maintaining a good working environment. More employee events during the week.

Worked for iMapData? Contribute to the Community!