iMatrix (California)

Updated January 26, 2015
Updated January 26, 2015

Bob Brisco
1 Rating

Great opportunity and growth potential

Current Employee - Director of Business Operations
    Current Employee - Director of Business Operations

I have been working at iMatrix (California) full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The office is conveniently located in Mira Mesa and has great amenities. Positions offer good benefits and lots of potential. Company is was recently acquired which will improve competitiveness and customer offerings which will help the division grow. Team is friendly and staff is knowledgable.

Cons

I have not found any cons for this company. Many of these reviews were written during the company acquisition but many of those pain points are being addressed.

Low Pay, High Turnover, But Nice People

Current Employee - Support
    Current Employee - Support

I have been working at iMatrix (California)

Pros

Nice People who aren't petty about the smalls tuff

Cons

Low Pay, Relaxed working environment, Young and energetic coworkers, Days go by fast, Starts early at 7AM

Don't let your managers drive old and cheap cars. It tells everyone that there's future earnings are slim to none. Let people work from home part of the week if they've earned trust.

They trying to dissolve this company

I worked at iMatrix (California) full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They have a ping long table...seriously I can't think of any others.

Cons

Their current strategy is to create such a hostile work environment that everyone quits because laying people off would cost too much, at least for any tech support or people with the non-sales job. Sales jobs are high pressure to sell in an over saturated market. On the tech side they make you choose between using your own free time to help people and lying to people because you would like to leave at a reasonable hour because there is physically much more work that can actually be done. Clients do not realize how little attention (or customization- at the time I worked there each company with social media got the exact same posts as every other company in that industry of which there were 3). They will receive unless they're about to quit. That is not a way to run a business. In the last year the company has been sued (causing the CEO to get sued because he didn't make an Llc because he is an ideot) and bought. I wouldn't recommend anyone to work here even if they're really desperate for any job at all. Everyone I knew stopped working there in the year I was there and went on to better jobs and many of us were driven to the point of quitting because of an unrealistic work condition.

It's beyond repair so no advice.

Total lack of regard for customers!!

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in San Diego, CA

I worked at iMatrix (California) part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very easy to get on board. Friendly and efficient at the start.

Cons

Which very quickly reveals itself to be entirely without integrity.
    Imatrix shows a total lack of regard to it's customers once it has signed them up.
    One customer took 3 months and dozens of emails before they were replied to, simply because they wanted to cancel their account after 4 years.

I left here absolutely disgusted !

Internet Brands is running this into the ground

I worked at iMatrix (California) as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The people are fun to be around. The office is nice and they do some cool events. Good mid-level managers.

Cons

The company got bought out by Internet Brands at the beginning of the year and thats why you are seeing all these negative reviews. Constant bickering between support staff and sales . So many people have quit lately there arent enough people with experience to sell or support the product.

What this placed turned into was somewhere to be for 6 months while you get some resume material for a normal paying job. You will be underpaid here.

Good luck?

This is a company that will let an individual with leadership capabilities shine and climb up the company ladder.

Current Employee - Onboarding Consultant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Onboarding Consultant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at iMatrix (California) full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you are looking for a company that actually takes care of their employees then iMatrix is the place to work. This company lives by the motion of “Work Hard, Play Hard” The Managers and Directors will go out of their way to recognize hard work and reward them with plenty of incentives to keep up the hard work. The company loves to have group gatherings all year round from laser tag to going to the race track, and of course having the Christmas party at the end of the year.

Every day at work is always different. Everyone in the company is close with each other and that provides a more productive setting. If you are looking for a company that lets you make a difference then this is the place to be. If you want to grow as individual from a personal and professional level then iMatrix is for you as well. Everyone that works here has their own unique strengths that show and you learn to feed off that and learn things that you never knew before.

Before coming to iMatrix, I really didn’t think a company still existed that took care of their own employees and rewarded them for everything. Being here and getting rewarded for the hard work that I put in is great; it only makes me want to work even harder for my managers and directors. Working here lets me use my creative problem solving to help provide solutions to clients. I look forward to coming into work, how many can say that? Everyday creates opportunities to help the clients find success. Trust me when I say that those individuals who consider themselves a leader will really shine and thrive in this company.

Cons

The only real con about working here is that you have to reset expectations for the client that the sales consultant over sold them on. It’s mainly due to a lack on cross training that the sale team gets.

Continue to recognize the employees who try to make a difference and that are trying to do more for the company. Employees like that are leaders that can help iMatrix continue to grow

iMatrix (California) Response

Jul 16, 2014Marketing Content Writer

Thank you for taking the time to leave detailed feedback about your employment experience at iMatrix. Our management team actively listens to and takes employee feedback very seriously. We are ... More

once a good company, now a scummy, dishonest organization

Former Employee - Client Experience
    Former Employee - Client Experience

I worked at iMatrix (California) full-time

Pros

The only pro's that currently exist there are a few people that were nice to work with. There is also a little room for career growth, but even that is going down now.

Since Internet Brands bought iMatrix, the company has completely gone down the drain. See CONS.

Cons

First of all, the review from July 2014 on here is DEFINITELY one of the managers trying to bring the rating up for imatrix on glassdoor. There isn't a single employee who would talk like that on their own.

Let's start with the management in Client Experience; it's a train wreck.
    -The two highest managers in Client Experience, do NOTHING on a daily basis. Their knowledge of Search Marketing is minimal, so they can't help on projects, and they don't assist with tasks that need immediate attention. They delegate everything to an already overworked staff.
    - If anyone brings up a concern of how things are being done, the managers just say the person is being "negative."
        - For example: As an account manager we had upwards of 50 clients at a time (do the math on that per a 40 hour week), when we would bring to the managers' attention that we do not have time to do our jobs, they would simply say, "Stop being negative and just help the clients." ....really?! oh ok, I guess all that work i've been doing doesn't count...
    - They refuse to pay people what they are worth, so most of the talent just walks out the door because they can't tolerate the useless management that makes doing the job HARDER. They don't help, they don't want to help, they just collect a paycheck.

Since Internet Brands took over, this place lost ALL of it's morals and values. COUNTLESS dollars from the clients were taken and services were never delivered. On multiple occasions clients were paying thousands of dollars and had been completely ignored. When this was brought to management of CE, they couldn't care less about giving the clients back what they deserve, or making up for services.

The sales team is the only thing that matters there. They bring on new sales people every month but don't bring on people to support the sites. The sales team is told, "make your numbers, make your numbers, make your numbers." So what do they do? They make their numbers ANY WAY POSSIBLE, and it doesn't matter to them or the sales manager. If it's a bad sale, the Support team suffers and management doesn't care. Clients' lives were being negatively affected because iMatrix was taking their money and not delivering the proper SEO they needed. Many PAST employees of Imatrix saw this, and is a main reason they no longer work there.

Get rid of CE management, bring on people who actually know how to help SEO and SEM clients. Cookie cutter SEO doesn't work, so stop trying to sell it. REAL SEO companies know that you can't work on that many clients and still expect results.

Pay people what they are worth and you may retain some of your employees.

A once shining star ruined by management and company buyout.

Former Employee - Professional Services in San Diego, CA

I worked at iMatrix (California) full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Regardless of what department you join it used to be a great stepping stone to a future better job, I can not attest to the current state of joining for this reason.

Cons

Too many to properly list but:
    Sales Department and Support Departments are essentially pitted against each other, no company cohesion, and the managers in sales encourage this with downright awful things said about other departments.
    Sales has no Quality Assurance, they make deals outside of the realm of what should be done and then expect the rest of the company to figure out how to appease the customer.
    Training is dismal on all sides, support has better training than most but it could be improved upon.
    If someone quits, expect to pick up their slack and more than likely not see a replacement, OH except for sales, Internet Matrix has become a Sales Heavy Company that can not properly support their products once sold.

Honestly, they know what they need to do, but they have either become complacent or enjoy their power too much to care. It is like watching Mommy and Daddy (management) fighting/bickering over things while the Kids (employees) will be the ones that suffer.

iMatrix (California) Response

Jul 16, 2014Marketing Content Writer

Thank you for your honest feedback regarding your experience at iMatrix. It is true that iMatrix was acquired by Internet Brands, Inc in late December of 2013 which has led to several changes in the ... More

2 main company divisions; won't not recommend unless you're in sales

Former Employee - Professional Services in San Diego, CA

I worked at iMatrix (California) full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The bulk of the workers here are very young, which contributes to fun company culture. This, of course, has negatives as well (lack of experience/professionalism). Decent upward mobility. Competitive salary for people with no experience.

Cons

The company is essentially divided in two: sales and "client experience". Sales people, well, sell the services while the other side supports them. Overall, the sales side of things gets way more resources, money, support, and recognition. The client experience side suffers from extreme under staffing, far too many clients to support, and low pay for the experience level, contributing to a pretty toxic morale. Not a day goes by that someone isn't complaining about something in the company.

Also, the company was acquired by Internet Brands in December 2013, which promply destroyed the shortly lived employer match 401k.

Middle management is almost completely pointless. No one even knows what they do.

Pay your talented employees more, don't stretch them too thin, and get out of the "small start up" mindset; iMatrix is no longer small and investment needs to be made in order to take the company to the next level.

Not an easy job - but I love it.

Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at iMatrix (California) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Potential income is pretty good. New sales people can make 80k+ in their first year. Pretty good company culture (lots of events, laser tag, horse races, catered lunches, paint ball). Good group of people that make working here great. Company Gym, ping pong, Foosball, sweet vending setup. Company recently reorganized the sales group to create new management positions - lots of opportunity for growth.

Cons

Hours are 7-4 (I would really prefer for 6-3). Stressful (if you cant handle stress, look elsewhere)

Would like to see a better 401k program.

iMatrix (California) Photos