iMatrix (California) Reviews

Updated August 13, 2014
Updated August 13, 2014

3.2

Asaf Benhaim

This is a company that will let an individual with leadership capabilities shine and climb up the company ladder.

Current Employee - Onboarding Consultant  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Onboarding Consultant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at iMatrix (California) full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you are looking for a company that actually takes care of their employees then iMatrix is the place to work. This company lives by the motion of “Work Hard, Play Hard” The Managers and Directors will go out of their way to recognize hard work and reward them with plenty of incentives to keep up the hard work. The company loves to have group gatherings all year round from laser tag to going to the race track, and of course having the Christmas party at the end of the year.

Every day at work is always different. Everyone in the company is close with each other and that provides a more productive setting. If you are looking for a company that lets you make a difference then this is the place to be. If you want to grow as individual from a personal and professional level then iMatrix is for you as well. Everyone that works here has their own unique strengths that show and you learn to feed off that and learn things that you never knew before.

Before coming to iMatrix, I really didn’t think a company still existed that took care of their own employees and rewarded them for everything. Being here and getting rewarded for the hard work that I put in is great; it only makes me want to work even harder for my managers and directors. Working here lets me use my creative problem solving to help provide solutions to clients. I look forward to coming into work, how many can say that? Everyday creates opportunities to help the clients find success. Trust me when I say that those individuals who consider themselves a leader will really shine and thrive in this company.

Cons

The only real con about working here is that you have to reset expectations for the client that the sales consultant over sold them on. It’s mainly due to a lack on cross training that the sale team gets.

Continue to recognize the employees who try to make a difference and that are trying to do more for the company. Employees like that are leaders that can help iMatrix continue to grow

Jul 16, 2014Marketing Content Writer

Thank you for taking the time to leave detailed feedback about your employment experience at iMatrix. Our management team actively listens to and takes employee feedback very seriously. We are ... More

Internet Brands is running this into the ground

I worked at iMatrix (California) as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The people are fun to be around. The office is nice and they do some cool events. Good mid-level managers.

Cons

The company got bought out by Internet Brands at the beginning of the year and thats why you are seeing all these negative reviews. Constant bickering between support staff and sales . So many people have quit lately there arent enough people with experience to sell or support the product.

What this placed turned into was somewhere to be for 6 months while you get some resume material for a normal paying job. You will be underpaid here.

Good luck?

once a good company, now a scummy, dishonest organization

Former Employee - Client Experience
    Former Employee - Client Experience

I worked at iMatrix (California) full-time

Pros

The only pro's that currently exist there are a few people that were nice to work with. There is also a little room for career growth, but even that is going down now.

Since Internet Brands bought iMatrix, the company has completely gone down the drain. See CONS.

Cons

First of all, the review from July 2014 on here is DEFINITELY one of the managers trying to bring the rating up for imatrix on glassdoor. There isn't a single employee who would talk like that on their own.

Let's start with the management in Client Experience; it's a train wreck.
    -The two highest managers in Client Experience, do NOTHING on a daily basis. Their knowledge of Search Marketing is minimal, so they can't help on projects, and they don't assist with tasks that need immediate attention. They delegate everything to an already overworked staff.
    - If anyone brings up a concern of how things are being done, the managers just say the person is being "negative."
        - For example: As an account manager we had upwards of 50 clients at a time (do the math on that per a 40 hour week), when we would bring to the managers' attention that we do not have time to do our jobs, they would simply say, "Stop being negative and just help the clients." ....really?! oh ok, I guess all that work i've been doing doesn't count...
    - They refuse to pay people what they are worth, so most of the talent just walks out the door because they can't tolerate the useless management that makes doing the job HARDER. They don't help, they don't want to help, they just collect a paycheck.

Since Internet Brands took over, this place lost ALL of it's morals and values. COUNTLESS dollars from the clients were taken and services were never delivered. On multiple occasions clients were paying thousands of dollars and had been completely ignored. When this was brought to management of CE, they couldn't care less about giving the clients back what they deserve, or making up for services.

The sales team is the only thing that matters there. They bring on new sales people every month but don't bring on people to support the sites. The sales team is told, "make your numbers, make your numbers, make your numbers." So what do they do? They make their numbers ANY WAY POSSIBLE, and it doesn't matter to them or the sales manager. If it's a bad sale, the Support team suffers and management doesn't care. Clients' lives were being negatively affected because iMatrix was taking their money and not delivering the proper SEO they needed. Many PAST employees of Imatrix saw this, and is a main reason they no longer work there.

Get rid of CE management, bring on people who actually know how to help SEO and SEM clients. Cookie cutter SEO doesn't work, so stop trying to sell it. REAL SEO companies know that you can't work on that many clients and still expect results.

Pay people what they are worth and you may retain some of your employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A once shining star ruined by management and company buyout.

Former Employee - Professional Services  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Professional Services in San Diego, CA

I worked at iMatrix (California) full-time for more than a year

Pros

Regardless of what department you join it used to be a great stepping stone to a future better job, I can not attest to the current state of joining for this reason.

Cons

Too many to properly list but:
    Sales Department and Support Departments are essentially pitted against each other, no company cohesion, and the managers in sales encourage this with downright awful things said about other departments.
    Sales has no Quality Assurance, they make deals outside of the realm of what should be done and then expect the rest of the company to figure out how to appease the customer.
    Training is dismal on all sides, support has better training than most but it could be improved upon.
    If someone quits, expect to pick up their slack and more than likely not see a replacement, OH except for sales, Internet Matrix has become a Sales Heavy Company that can not properly support their products once sold.

Honestly, they know what they need to do, but they have either become complacent or enjoy their power too much to care. It is like watching Mommy and Daddy (management) fighting/bickering over things while the Kids (employees) will be the ones that suffer.

Jul 16, 2014Marketing Content Writer

Thank you for your honest feedback regarding your experience at iMatrix. It is true that iMatrix was acquired by Internet Brands, Inc in late December of 2013 which has led to several changes in the ... More

Not an easy job - but I love it.

Current Employee - Manager  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at iMatrix (California) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Potential income is pretty good. New sales people can make 80k+ in their first year. Pretty good company culture (lots of events, laser tag, horse races, catered lunches, paint ball). Good group of people that make working here great. Company Gym, ping pong, Foosball, sweet vending setup. Company recently reorganized the sales group to create new management positions - lots of opportunity for growth.

Cons

Hours are 7-4 (I would really prefer for 6-3). Stressful (if you cant handle stress, look elsewhere)

Would like to see a better 401k program.

2 main company divisions; won't not recommend unless you're in sales

Former Employee - Professional Services  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Professional Services in San Diego, CA

I worked at iMatrix (California) full-time for less than a year

Pros

The bulk of the workers here are very young, which contributes to fun company culture. This, of course, has negatives as well (lack of experience/professionalism). Decent upward mobility. Competitive salary for people with no experience.

Cons

The company is essentially divided in two: sales and "client experience". Sales people, well, sell the services while the other side supports them. Overall, the sales side of things gets way more resources, money, support, and recognition. The client experience side suffers from extreme under staffing, far too many clients to support, and low pay for the experience level, contributing to a pretty toxic morale. Not a day goes by that someone isn't complaining about something in the company.

Also, the company was acquired by Internet Brands in December 2013, which promply destroyed the shortly lived employer match 401k.

Middle management is almost completely pointless. No one even knows what they do.

Pay your talented employees more, don't stretch them too thin, and get out of the "small start up" mindset; iMatrix is no longer small and investment needs to be made in order to take the company to the next level.

Hard work pays off

Current Employee - Internet Consultant- Sales
    Current Employee - Internet Consultant- Sales

I have been working at iMatrix (California) full-time for less than a year

Pros

I am new to sales so it took a few months for things to "click". My manager and my team helped me every step of the way and didn't give up on me. I just had my second great sales month in a row and it feels great. I will make over 50k this even with a slow start and everyone here seems to make more the longer they are here.

Cons

It is hard work. If you lack self discipline or don't like a lot of sports analogies you might not like it.

Good Place to Learn

I worked at iMatrix (California) full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to learn a job. Great co-workers and people to work with. You can wear a lot of hats (mainly because people leave so often you have to pick up the work they vacate).

Cons

Management has a very Top Down Management style. Do as I say not as I do. Managers should lead by example. Not a lot of career growth.

Because you do not pay well for top talent and benefits are terrible, this is a training ground for other companies. People will stay until they have the experience to seek something better elsewhere. Pay people what they are worth and they will be more loyal. The revolving door is costing you.

A daily grind

Former Employee - Sales Consultant  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in San Diego, CA

I worked at iMatrix (California) full-time for less than a year

Pros

could make money, but only after you endure 6 months of grueling prospecting phone calls day after day.

Cons

-high turnover
    -low pay
    -mentally draining
    -must hit quota or fear for your job
    -extremely high stress

Feb 20, 2014HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave detailed feedback about your employment experience at iMatrix. Our management team appreciates personal feedback about the hiring and training process and we ... More

Matt Veltmann. I am 24 years old and I make right around $100k/year. Been here 1.5 years

Current Employee - Internet Consultant  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Internet Consultant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at iMatrix (California) full-time for more than a year

Pros

Top 10 fastest growing industries in America (Internet Marketing)
    Certified, Preferred partners with Google (2013)
    Growth of company from $8.7 mil --> $15 mil in 1.5 years (172% growth rate)
    Great Management who cares about Individual Personal Development
    Help your clients create the website of their dream!
    Pay Scale + Compensation
    Fast Opportunity of Growth within Company
    Option to Travel, when good enough

Cons

Cold Calling
    A lot to learn to "hit the ground running" - Do you have "IT?"
    No Residuals
    This is not your average job- I'll be very honest with you. You have to have a strong ambition, be self-motivated, handle stress well, learn intuitively, and work your ass off
    The #1 reason people leave is because they say its too stressful- But, in my time here, I have only seen 1 individual come in both early and stay late everyday only to end up leaving. The rest of the others who have either gotten fired or resigned their positions do not want it bad enough. They just want a regular job and think they can get by.
    This is job is for the Strong. This is for the Motivated. This is for those who can withstand Fire so well that they become Steel

Keep it up. They look out for your best interests, intelligent, cutting-edge and help you grow into the person you want to be

Feb 20, 2014HR Manager

We appreciate your candid feedback about working in Sales and our overall goals and strategies. Thank you for taking the time to review iMatrix.

Worked for iMatrix (California)? Contribute to the Community!