iRobot

www.irobot.com

iRobot Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014
iRobot – Bedford – “View from outside the iRobot headquarter office…”

iRobot Chairman and CEO Colin M. Angle

Colin M. Angle

Pros
  • Great work/life balance including fairly flexible work schedules(in 5 reviews)

• Get to work with cutting edge technology(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Many managers tend to micromanage thus becoming an irritant(in 4 reviews)

• t know how to motivate or retain top talent(in 3 reviews)

Wonderfully innovative company developing products in an exciting new market.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Bedford, MA

ProsFun projects, great history, exciting people!

ConsBelow market compensation, downsizing with reduced government spending.

Start showing some respect for employees

Upper Management Position (Current Employee) Bedford, MA

ProsShort commute. Can sometimes be very entertaining to listen to some of the conversations.

ConsRubbing elbows with the right people is more important than being good at your job. Management is always pushing the lower staff for higher levels of performance usually related to more hours not more brilliance. Constant reorganization and layoff. Morale is poor. No employee stock plan. Many managers tend to micromanage thus becoming an irritant. The place is like a post College hangout for some, leaving the work to others.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your people. Seems like the big shots come pump up the stock cash out and leave. Too much higher level turnover. Don't treat all the workers like they are expendible.

Stop the lies

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Bedford, MA

ProsEnthusiastic employees. Creative people. Cool projects.

ConsConstant lies and misinformation coming from upper management. Micromanagement of workers. Too many managers. Numerous layoffs and reorganizations. Weak, non-competitive employee compensation. Lots of turnover...company losing brain trust and top talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart paying attention to surveys rather than paying lip service.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGet to work with best in class engineers that are completely unappreciated by management.

ConsCEO is complete figurehead and is impotent to make changes. Upper level management calls all of the shots and is making horrible decisions that is adversely impacting the morale of the workers. Impossible to get internally promoted, no ability to grow within organization. Management blatantly lies to workforce. Constant turnover of top talent. Numerous reorganizations, layoffs and office closures.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should fire yourselves.

What a waste of talent...

Senior Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) Bedford, MA

ProsInspiring mission and product portfolio

ConsConstant exodus of highly skilled engineering talent due to poor management. Major issues with management include: lack of honesty, poor decision making, constant reorganizations and layoffs, and absence of career growth for skilled engineers with proven track records. I also find iRobot to be a high anxiety workplace.

Advice to Senior ManagementAddress the cons that I mention above. Be honest with your workers. Start appreciating your engineers!

Good people and technology but working through growing pains.

Product Manager (Current Employee) Bedford, MA

ProsExciting market and technology.
    Fun to actually produce stuff and push technology to market.
    Smart, hard working and dependable people in the company. Pleasure to work with almost all!
    The company mission is referenced often and I believed we live by the mission.

ConsRecently, a little too quick to change direction and too often.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to flatten the organization and tap into the collective genius of the people. I hear a lot of employees say great things but they act as if thy do not have a voice to insert good ideas.

Military, home and telepresence robots

Principal Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) Bedford, MA

ProsMilitary robots: you get to save lives!
    Home robots: a chance to work on cool stuff and see the fruit of your labors on store shelves around the world.
    Telepresence: contribute to an emerging paradigm.

ConsLong hours, frequent Asia travel if working on Home robots. (Then again, some like that.)
    Recent federal budget cuts have taken their toll on the military side.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back idea bakeoffs.

Stay away from Corporate Division

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Bedford, MA

ProsGreat location; benefits not bad, but no ESPP

ConsToo many Director Level people for not enough lower level people; org chart to big for size company; no rhyme or reason regarding who to layoff; not enough cross training; not enough woman in management or above roles; low moral; "boys club"

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and actually do something about it.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCool environment, people were great. Working everyday with Robots was the coolest experience, plus there is so much to learn from the people there

ConsInstability, as the company grew at a fast pace, and when the economy slowed, layoffs were inevitable.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue people over $$$

Go Home Robots

Pros*Competitive compensation
    *Solid foundation of employees
    *Bright future

ConsReorganization has forced many quality people to leave

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so reactive to changes in the economy and try being more proactive.

Worked for iRobot? Contribute to the Community!