iRobot

www.irobot.com

iRobot Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014
iRobot – Bedford – “View from outside the iRobot headquarter office…”

iRobot Chairman and CEO Colin M. Angle

Colin M. Angle

Pros
  • Great work/life balance including fairly flexible work schedules(in 5 reviews)

• Get to work with cutting edge technology(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Many managers tend to micromanage thus becoming an irritant(in 4 reviews)

• t know how to motivate or retain top talent(in 3 reviews)

Discrimination

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Bedford, MA

ProsFlexibility between home life and work life - most of the time.

ConsLacks innovation. Micromanaged. Lack of empathetic listening to customers and employees. Purchasing technology instead of inventing the technology is the norm. Anyone perceived as a threat is eventually eliminated or emasculated - for lack of a better term - if they want to keep their job. They have re-org'ed 3 times in the past 12-14 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks. Be innovative. Value your employees with sincerity and not tongue-in-cheek.

creative problem solving working in teams with experienced talented engineers

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Bedford, MA

Prosrobotics is a challenging but fun area to work in. Engineering decisions are data-driven and management create a great environment for creativity.

ConsGrowing pains, esp. interactions with contractors and temporary hires.
    Getting political but not too bad. This is not as big a problem as many other places
    Engineering titles are not standardized

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to spur innovation amongst employees and differentiate yourself from competition

Fascinating Technology

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Bedford, MA

ProsGet to work with loads of different discipline engineers (MEs, EEs, SEs, SWEs, EMEs, etc.).
    Cutting edge tech.
    Engineers are solid, smart, good at what they do.
    Management was listening to employee feedback and taking steps to improve.
    Great place to work!

ConsGrowing pains, esp. interactions with subcontractors.
    Management often inexperienced and can make mistakes.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes management seems to be a little more aloof than it should be. They are doing something about it though, which is good.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Get out of here!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Bedford, MA

Pros-Work life balance is great, because no one does their work and they just shift blame from one person in a team to another

Cons-They haven't come out with a new robot (on their own IP) for ten years. Don't come here if you want to be working for an innovative company. They sell themselves well, but they don't live up to the hype
    -Everyone here points fingers, they don't take ownership

Advice to Senior ManagementYou talk a big game about talent retention, but you just had one of your biggest years for profit. Put your money where your mouth is.

disappointing

Software Manager (Current Employee) Bedford, MA

Prosbuzz around the company is good

ConsReality inside very different from external PR

Ho Hum

Ecad Administrator (Current Employee) Bedford, MA

ProsA regular paycheck and not too long a commute. I'm well payed for what I do. Average place, standard benefits.

ConsA good of compartamentalized knowledge, I always feel like management is not in touch with the rest of us and they seem very stingy with information regarding the company and the state of teh business. Presentation are staged to dispense information geared to stimulate people and it usually feels like a show and not really the truth.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet us all on the same page. Personally I feel like a mushroom.

nice place for a geek

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Bedford, MA

Prosloose structure and casual environment, exposure to high tech. Really a good place if you work in their government contract department

Consstructure too loose. very vague responsibility in their home department, very ineffective communication and very behind in implementing enterprise-level applicatioin.

Advice to Senior Managementinvest in long-term solution instead of focusing on short-term unsustainable fixes. invest in long term relationship with quality OEM vendors

Great potential soured by a lousy boss

Ecad Administrator (Former Employee) Bedford, MA

ProsLots of brilliant people in one place. Decent benefits.

ConsFor me it was the guy I reported to directly, he was an extreme micromanager, didn't allow me to work anywhere near my ability, I would do things and he would take credit for them. He fosterered an atmosphere of distrust as his only goals wer to ascend himself thru his politics. he was a master twister of the truth and perpetual manipulator. Many feared him.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay close attention to mid level management, specifically listen to the more seasoned employees as we offer lots of experience from different areas, you are not capitalizing on this by allowing the inexperienced to lead. There are too many people with titles, it just seems that everyone is a Lead or senior lead, basically everyone is a Chief and there seems to be a shrotage of indians.

Great potential, needs vision

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Bedford, MA

ProsWe do build cool stuff. The people here are great to work with, and we get a nice amount of paid time off.

ConsThe company seems to have a distressing tendency toward doing the absolute minimum necessary to accomplish its immediate goals, with respect both to its customers and to its employees. They are also pretty bad at communicating internally.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more proactive about fixing problems and making improvements - don't wait until it becomes a crisis. Talk with your underlings about what's going on - if we hear about what the company is doing, or what's going wrong, by reading the news (or press releases), something is wrong.

Great place to work.

Electrical Engineering Intern (Former Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsI learned quite a bit in areas that I wasn't too familiar with earlier, got to work with some very interesting and smart people, and interacted with upper management on a fairly regular basis. Very interesting time, had a lot of fun.

ConsI have very few complaints, but as an electrical engineering intern there was a lot of weak testing, soldering, wiring, etc. kind of work early on. The amount of that kind of work went down over the course of the summer however.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to act like a small company even as things get much larger. Even though it's unfeasible for everybody in the company to know everyone else, people up to even the vice president level should get to meet everyone working below them.

Worked for iRobot? Contribute to the Community!