iRobot

Updated December 14, 2014
3.2

iRobot Chairman and CEO Colin M. Angle
Colin M. Angle

Pros
  • Work life balance is good and half day Fridays during the summer is definitely very good for employees (in 5 reviews)

• Great work environment, great responsibility, professional networking (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Constant lies and misinformation coming from upper management (in 5 reviews)

• Many managers tend to micromanage thus becoming an irritant (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

I'm still here

Current Employee - Senior, Engineer in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Senior, Engineer in Bedford, MA

I have been working at iRobot full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, and I get to work with some very bright people. Occasionally some interesting projects materialize.

Cons

Advancement is not based on your ability, skill, or contributions. Rather it is based on your friendships and out of work activities. I was told by management that i should spend less time with my kids and more time participating in after work functions, I should choose between my family or my career.
    Management does not respect the input from experienced people and usually prefers to explore the wrong direction on things, then after the time and budget is expended may consider the advice of more experienced input. Makes you wonder why profits are not what they could be.
    Upper level management seems to have many secret agenda and the workforce feels disconnected, even when they do share something most people feel they are not completely truthful.

Clean your house out, some of your Managers/Directors need to be shown the door, bring in some experienced people and let them get the job done without the micromanagement and other hobbles you have in place now,

Stay away from iRobot

I worked at iRobot (more than 5 years)

Pros

Casual dress code but that is just about the only remaining positive for working at iRobot. It used to be good a few years ago...before some horrible managers came on board.

Cons

Super political. Constant lies from management. Lots of random layoffs. Stagnant product line. Unappreciated employees. Glass ceiling once you've been there a few years.

Start rewarding honesty

Management driving the company into the ground

I worked at iRobot

Pros

Used to have a strong culture that felt like a second family.

Cons

Constant misinformation and lies coming from the Engineering management team (C3 and Hiten S.).
    Numerous, highly talented, engineers quitting.
    Constant layoffs, moves and reorganizations.
    Individuals in remote offices are treated like second class employees.
    Multiple remote offices have been closed in the past year.
    No room for job growth or salary growth once you have been with the company for a couple years.
    Product line is stagnant.

If you want to destroy the company...keep it up.

Horrible management

I worked at iRobot

Pros

Get to work with best in class engineers that are completely unappreciated by management.

Cons

CEO is complete figurehead and is impotent to make changes. Upper level management calls all of the shots and is making horrible decisions that is adversely impacting the morale of the workers. Impossible to get internally promoted, no ability to grow within organization. Management blatantly lies to workforce. Constant turnover of top talent. Numerous reorganizations, layoffs and office closures.

You should fire yourselves.

Stop the lies

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bedford, MA

I have been working at iRobot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Enthusiastic employees. Creative people. Cool projects.

Cons

Constant lies and misinformation coming from upper management. Micromanagement of workers. Too many managers. Numerous layoffs and reorganizations. Weak, non-competitive employee compensation. Lots of turnover...company losing brain trust and top talent.

Start paying attention to surveys rather than paying lip service.

What a waste of talent...

Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Bedford, MA

I have been working at iRobot full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Inspiring mission and product portfolio

Cons

Constant exodus of highly skilled engineering talent due to poor management. Major issues with management include: lack of honesty, poor decision making, constant reorganizations and layoffs, and absence of career growth for skilled engineers with proven track records. I also find iRobot to be a high anxiety workplace.

Address the cons that I mention above. Be honest with your workers. Start appreciating your engineers!

Discrimination

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA

I worked at iRobot

Pros

Flexibility between home life and work life - most of the time.

Cons

Lacks innovation. Micromanaged. Lack of empathetic listening to customers and employees. Purchasing technology instead of inventing the technology is the norm. Anyone perceived as a threat is eventually eliminated or emasculated - for lack of a better term - if they want to keep their job. They have re-org'ed 3 times in the past 12-14 months.

Stop throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks. Be innovative. Value your employees with sincerity and not tongue-in-cheek.

Get out of here!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA

I have been working at iRobot

Pros

-Work life balance is great, because no one does their work and they just shift blame from one person in a team to another

Cons

-They haven't come out with a new robot (on their own IP) for ten years. Don't come here if you want to be working for an innovative company. They sell themselves well, but they don't live up to the hype
    -Everyone here points fingers, they don't take ownership

You talk a big game about talent retention, but you just had one of your biggest years for profit. Put your money where your mouth is.

disappointing

Current Employee - Software Manager in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Software Manager in Bedford, MA

I have been working at iRobot

Pros

buzz around the company is good

Cons

Reality inside very different from external PR

Great potential soured by a lousy boss

Former Employee - Ecad Administrator in Bedford, MA
    Former Employee - Ecad Administrator in Bedford, MA

I worked at iRobot

Pros

Lots of brilliant people in one place. Decent benefits.

Cons

For me it was the guy I reported to directly, he was an extreme micromanager, didn't allow me to work anywhere near my ability, I would do things and he would take credit for them. He fosterered an atmosphere of distrust as his only goals wer to ascend himself thru his politics. he was a master twister of the truth and perpetual manipulator. Many feared him.

Pay close attention to mid level management, specifically listen to the more seasoned employees as we offer lots of experience from different areas, you are not capitalizing on this by allowing the inexperienced to lead. There are too many people with titles, it just seems that everyone is a Lead or senior lead, basically everyone is a Chief and there seems to be a shrotage of indians.

iRobot Photos

View from outside the iRobot headquarter office located in Bedford, MA (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.59)

+ Add Photo