iRobot
www.irobot.com Bedford, MA 500 to 999 Employees

iRobot Reviews

Updated Jul 5, 2014
iRobot – Bedford – “View from outside the iRobot headquarter office…”

iRobot Chairman and CEO Colin M. Angle

Colin M. Angle

Pros:
  • "Work life balance is good and half day Fridays during the summer is definitely very good for employees"
    in 4 reviews
  • "If you like robots, there's lots of robots"
    in 2 reviews
Cons:
  • "Many managers tend to micromanage thus becoming an irritant"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Government money going away and over the years have really done nothing to get military robots retasked and into other markets"
    in 2 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Stay away from iRobot

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCasual dress code but that is just about the only remaining positive for working at iRobot. It used to be good a few years ago...before some horrible managers came on board.

ConsSuper political. Constant lies from management. Lots of random layoffs. Stagnant product line. Unappreciated employees. Glass ceiling once you've been there a few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart rewarding honesty

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Management driving the company into the ground

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsUsed to have a strong culture that felt like a second family.

ConsConstant misinformation and lies coming from the Engineering management team (C3 and Hiten S.).
    Numerous, highly talented, engineers quitting.
    Constant layoffs, moves and reorganizations.
    Individuals in remote offices are treated like second class employees.
    Multiple remote offices have been closed in the past year.
    No room for job growth or salary growth once you have been with the company for a couple years.
    Product line is stagnant.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to destroy the company...keep it up.

Horrible management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGet to work with best in class engineers that are completely unappreciated by management.

ConsCEO is complete figurehead and is impotent to make changes. Upper level management calls all of the shots and is making horrible decisions that is adversely impacting the morale of the workers. Impossible to get internally promoted, no ability to grow within organization. Management blatantly lies to workforce. Constant turnover of top talent. Numerous reorganizations, layoffs and office closures.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should fire yourselves.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stop the lies

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Bedford, MA

ProsEnthusiastic employees. Creative people. Cool projects.

ConsConstant lies and misinformation coming from upper management. Micromanagement of workers. Too many managers. Numerous layoffs and reorganizations. Weak, non-competitive employee compensation. Lots of turnover...company losing brain trust and top talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart paying attention to surveys rather than paying lip service.

What a waste of talent...

Senior Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee)
    Bedford, MA

ProsInspiring mission and product portfolio

ConsConstant exodus of highly skilled engineering talent due to poor management. Major issues with management include: lack of honesty, poor decision making, constant reorganizations and layoffs, and absence of career growth for skilled engineers with proven track records. I also find iRobot to be a high anxiety workplace.

Advice to Senior ManagementAddress the cons that I mention above. Be honest with your workers. Start appreciating your engineers!

Discrimination

Bedford, MA

ProsFlexibility between home life and work life - most of the time.

ConsLacks innovation. Micromanaged. Lack of empathetic listening to customers and employees. Purchasing technology instead of inventing the technology is the norm. Anyone perceived as a threat is eventually eliminated or emasculated - for lack of a better term - if they want to keep their job. They have re-org'ed 3 times in the past 12-14 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks. Be innovative. Value your employees with sincerity and not tongue-in-cheek.

Get out of here!

Bedford, MA

Pros-Work life balance is great, because no one does their work and they just shift blame from one person in a team to another

Cons-They haven't come out with a new robot (on their own IP) for ten years. Don't come here if you want to be working for an innovative company. They sell themselves well, but they don't live up to the hype
    -Everyone here points fingers, they don't take ownership

Advice to Senior ManagementYou talk a big game about talent retention, but you just had one of your biggest years for profit. Put your money where your mouth is.

disappointing

Software Manager (Current Employee)
    Bedford, MA

Prosbuzz around the company is good

ConsReality inside very different from external PR

Great potential soured by a lousy boss

Ecad Administrator (Former Employee)
    Bedford, MA

ProsLots of brilliant people in one place. Decent benefits.

ConsFor me it was the guy I reported to directly, he was an extreme micromanager, didn't allow me to work anywhere near my ability, I would do things and he would take credit for them. He fosterered an atmosphere of distrust as his only goals wer to ascend himself thru his politics. he was a master twister of the truth and perpetual manipulator. Many feared him.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay close attention to mid level management, specifically listen to the more seasoned employees as we offer lots of experience from different areas, you are not capitalizing on this by allowing the inexperienced to lead. There are too many people with titles, it just seems that everyone is a Lead or senior lead, basically everyone is a Chief and there seems to be a shrotage of indians.

Best Internship program in the planet. Disorganized and contentious workplace

Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsThe internship program is indeed world class. The interns are involved in varying activities and projects on a daily basis. The lead intern (on a second tour) acts like a manager and runs the intern program.

ConsThe roles and reponsibilities are not well defined and leave a wide range of lattitude to perform the tasks that you like to perform. However, making the various stakeholders (program mgmt, product mgmt, engineering, etc..) satisified is very difficult because the daily tasks and goals are not well defined. Therefore, agressive and contentious employees achieve at the expense of more proficient people who want to act as part of a team. I asked my manager which tasks I should work on. The repsonse was that the manager was uncertain as to the responsibiliities for supporting the other finctionalities (program mgmt, etc...).

Advice to Senior ManagementPut in an internal audit system and continuous improvement system so that the very smart poeple that are hired can help to improve the processes and systems in the company. Otherwise the company will eventually fail when they do not replace the ROOMBA cash cow.

Worked for iRobot? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at iRobot reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for iRobot CEO Colin M. Angle. All 61 reviews posted anonymously by iRobot employees.