iRobot Reviews

69 reviews filtered by

1. Great Learning experience

Current Employee - Senior Reliability Engineer in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Reliability Engineer in Bedford, MA

I have been working at iRobot full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great technology, great people and a fast paced environment.

Cons

Difficult for people who do not have a start up mentatlity

Advice to Management

Great work. Keep it up

2. iRobot is Awesome

Former Intern - EE Intern in Bedford, MA
    Former Intern - EE Intern in Bedford, MA

I worked at iRobot as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Very nice people and a great company culture

Cons

Some of the ME engineers expect the interns to put in more hours then they are compensated for.

3. Best employer of all those at which I have worked.

Current Employee - SQA in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - SQA in Bedford, MA

I have been working at iRobot full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Encourages employees. No blame games. Cutting edge jobs & technology. Fantastic benefits. Great work/life balance including fairly flexible work schedules. Many educational opportunities. Generous community activities (huge supporter of FIRST & related activities). Completely a team atmosphere, no empire building.

Cons

Hard to move laterally (small company)

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, fantastic employee-centric atmosphere. Encourage lateral moves where possible to support career growth.

Best Internship program in the planet. Disorganized and contentious workplace

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at iRobot full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The internship program is indeed world class. The interns are involved in varying activities and projects on a daily basis. The lead intern (on a second tour) acts like a manager and runs the intern program.

Cons

The roles and reponsibilities are not well defined and leave a wide range of lattitude to perform the tasks that you like to perform. However, making the various stakeholders (program mgmt, product mgmt, engineering, etc..) satisified is very difficult because the daily tasks and goals are not well defined. Therefore, agressive and contentious employees achieve at the expense of more proficient people who want to act as part of a team. I asked my manager which tasks I should work on. The repsonse was that the manager was uncertain as to the responsibiliities for supporting the other finctionalities (program mgmt, etc...).

Advice to Management

Put in an internal audit system and continuous improvement system so that the very smart poeple that are hired can help to improve the processes and systems in the company. Otherwise the company will eventually fail when they do not replace the ROOMBA cash cow.

Interesting, diverse, disappointing, uninspiring

I have been working at iRobot full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Half-day Fridays for the summer. Beer cart. Exceptionally good marketing team. People don’t work as hard as those at other companies I’ve worked at.

Cons

Lip service to individual performance and skills. No value associated with capabilities beyond specific job description. Limited opportunities for internal growth unless you are personal friends with upper management. Continual layoffs for the last 3 years. Don’t know how to motivate or retain top talent … the reason for so many openings. Not a state-of-the-art company.

Advice to Management

Understand that the technical staff and not the support staff are the life blood of the company.

Too unorganized...

I worked at iRobot full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Beer cart, Fun people...that's it.

Cons

You'll NEVER be appreciated for what you do for the company. Highly invisible and too many layers. Everyone seems to be "Senior or Principle Engineer", too many managers/Sr. manager/directors. They are about to be beaten-up by Korean competitors. The only thing iRobot has ever made is it's roomba - everything else is just copy. So unimaginative. If you really care for the company you work for, this is not the place for you, as the company will never care back. People are burdened to death, with no career growth!
    HR is a joke.

Advice to Management

Care for the people who contribute towards your success EVERYDAY.

Great engineers, poor program management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA

I have been working at iRobot full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of high skilled and talented employees in ALL areas
    Great pay and benefits
    Wonderful vacation time

Cons

Really odd purchasing process, take way to long to buy something
    Different organizational units are completely out of sync
    This company of 600 is run likes it's a company of 100,000, NGC/Lockheed and Boeing are more efficient and have less red tape
    Program management here is very weird, extremely inefficient, can't seem to make decisions. Everyone is passing the buck.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to be Google and be iRobot

Fun Jobs, Odd Management

I worked at iRobot (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone there loves what they're doing. You will probably never find another place so full of people who love their jobs so much. That alone makes it a cool culture. There are a lot of innovations and very cool things to work on from the mechanical to electrical to software.

Cons

They aren't the most software-friendly environment. The founders were mostly mechanical in disciplines, so software scheduling is sometimes a little bizarre. Software decisions are often made on history, not necessarily what's good going forward and you end up stuck with those decisions (as does the company).

Overall, they have the worst IT support on the planet. The individual workers are really good, positive and helpful, but the structure is horrific. Makes the environment limiting and difficult to get technical things done. Too bad, because the team on the ground is high-quality.

Advice to Management

Walk around. Get back to your roots. There are so many innovators in this company, use them to innovate.

Fix IT support's mission. Look at the little things, free up people to be more productive.

Would of stayed if I could

Former Intern - Systems Engineering Intern in Bedford, MA
    Former Intern - Systems Engineering Intern in Bedford, MA

I worked at iRobot as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, Everyone that works there is there to help you and build a better product. Fun laid back atmosphere but work still gets done. Innovative products, Working on the Defense side helping people change the world and saving lives was pretty cool.

Cons

A lot of disorganization on the project I worked on, Miscommunication constantly causing more work and stress. When shipping robots out for conventions and etc. not given enough time to make sure robot and all accessories were there at times.
    I was there as a contractor then received an internship so I had the grunt work, and never missing a single day of work I had a passion and drive to really learn from iRobot. I tried to get an extension on my internship because I knew there was so much more for me to learn, however I was told because I did not go to a four year institution this would not be possible. I do see great things in the future for iRobot I wish I could have been apart of

Advice to Management

Try to really see how the company works as a whole. Learn from the lowest employee you have working there to your most senior engineer. If you want a company to grow and prosper you have to get out of the office and in the field and the labs and only then will you grow.

11. Cool Stuff

Former Employee - Engineer in Bedford, MA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Bedford, MA

I worked at iRobot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very intelligent, motivated and collaborative employees.
    Minimal politics. Most employees trying to do the right thing.
    Very cool products that lead in their markets.
    Profitable and huge growth in consumer robotics.
    Great culture and mission. Lots of training, family activities, team building.
    Competitive pay.
    Flexible work arrangements.

Cons

Product plans and priorities change a lot, so engineers sometimes jerked around and creates a lot of inefficiency.
    Too many processes force low value work.
    Lots of management changes & re-organizations.
    Unrealistically aggressive program timelines without sufficient resources causes unnecessary stress and sets teams up for failure. Too many programs planned for available resources.

Advice to Management

Focus more resources on fewer programs. This will improve employee morale, engagement and retention.

iRobot Photos

View from outside the iRobot headquarter office located in Bedford, MA (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.59)

+ Add Photo