iRobot

Updated January 14, 2015
3.2

iRobot Chairman and CEO Colin M. Angle
Colin M. Angle

Pros
  • Work life balance is good and half day Fridays during the summer is definitely very good for employees (in 5 reviews)

• Great work environment, great responsibility, professional networking (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Constant lies and misinformation coming from upper management (in 5 reviews)

• Many managers tend to micromanage thus becoming an irritant (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Fascinating Technology

I worked at iRobot

Pros

Get to work with loads of different discipline engineers (MEs, EEs, SEs, SWEs, EMEs, etc.).
    Cutting edge tech.
    Engineers are solid, smart, good at what they do.
    Management was listening to employee feedback and taking steps to improve.
    Great place to work!

Cons

Growing pains, esp. interactions with subcontractors.
    Getting political but not too bad. This is not as big a problem as many other places
    Management often inexperienced and can make mistakes.

Sometimes management seems to be a little more aloof than it should be. They are doing something about it though, which is good.

Get out of here!

I have been working at iRobot

Pros

-Work life balance is great, because no one does their work and they just shift blame from one person in a team to another

Cons

-They haven't come out with a new robot (on their own IP) for ten years. Don't come here if you want to be working for an innovative company. They sell themselves well, but they don't live up to the hype
    -Everyone here points fingers, they don't take ownership

You talk a big game about talent retention, but you just had one of your biggest years for profit. Put your money where your mouth is.

disappointing

Current Employee - Software Manager in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Software Manager in Bedford, MA

I have been working at iRobot

Pros

buzz around the company is good

Cons

Reality inside very different from external PR

Ho Hum

Current Employee - Ecad Administrator in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Ecad Administrator in Bedford, MA

I have been working at iRobot

Pros

A regular paycheck and not too long a commute. I'm well payed for what I do. Average place, standard benefits.

Cons

A good of compartamentalized knowledge, I always feel like management is not in touch with the rest of us and they seem very stingy with information regarding the company and the state of teh business. Presentation are staged to dispense information geared to stimulate people and it usually feels like a show and not really the truth.

Get us all on the same page. Personally I feel like a mushroom.

nice place for a geek

I worked at iRobot

Pros

loose structure and casual environment, exposure to high tech. Really a good place if you work in their government contract department

Cons

structure too loose. very vague responsibility in their home department, very ineffective communication and very behind in implementing enterprise-level applicatioin.

invest in long-term solution instead of focusing on short-term unsustainable fixes. invest in long term relationship with quality OEM vendors

Great potential soured by a lousy boss

Former Employee - Ecad Administrator in Bedford, MA
    Former Employee - Ecad Administrator in Bedford, MA

I worked at iRobot

Pros

Lots of brilliant people in one place. Decent benefits.

Cons

For me it was the guy I reported to directly, he was an extreme micromanager, didn't allow me to work anywhere near my ability, I would do things and he would take credit for them. He fosterered an atmosphere of distrust as his only goals wer to ascend himself thru his politics. he was a master twister of the truth and perpetual manipulator. Many feared him.

Pay close attention to mid level management, specifically listen to the more seasoned employees as we offer lots of experience from different areas, you are not capitalizing on this by allowing the inexperienced to lead. There are too many people with titles, it just seems that everyone is a Lead or senior lead, basically everyone is a Chief and there seems to be a shrotage of indians.

Great potential, needs vision

I have been working at iRobot

Pros

We do build cool stuff. The people here are great to work with, and we get a nice amount of paid time off.

Cons

The company seems to have a distressing tendency toward doing the absolute minimum necessary to accomplish its immediate goals, with respect both to its customers and to its employees. They are also pretty bad at communicating internally.

Be more proactive about fixing problems and making improvements - don't wait until it becomes a crisis. Talk with your underlings about what's going on - if we hear about what the company is doing, or what's going wrong, by reading the news (or press releases), something is wrong.

Great place to work.

Former Employee - Electrical Engineering Intern in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineering Intern in Burlington, MA

I worked at iRobot

Pros

I learned quite a bit in areas that I wasn't too familiar with earlier, got to work with some very interesting and smart people, and interacted with upper management on a fairly regular basis. Very interesting time, had a lot of fun.

Cons

I have very few complaints, but as an electrical engineering intern there was a lot of weak testing, soldering, wiring, etc. kind of work early on. The amount of that kind of work went down over the course of the summer however.

Continue to act like a small company even as things get much larger. Even though it's unfeasible for everybody in the company to know everyone else, people up to even the vice president level should get to meet everyone working below them.

Fun place to work, but poor leadership and lack of vision from top management.

Former Employee - Engineer in New Bedford, MA
    Former Employee - Engineer in New Bedford, MA

I worked at iRobot

Pros

Flexible Work Hours are unbeatable for accommodating non-work interests. The company has a lot of youthful excitement and energy, and a ton of fun and fantastic people who work there (they just tend not to be managers).

Cons

Management at the top level is does a poor job of communicating intentions and vision to those below them. The "number one priority" changes day to day and projects can be redirected or axed per whims of management.

Develop a strategic plan and actually follow it instead of chasing the latest fire, fad, or personal conviction. Create an environment which encourages personal accountability instead of rampant finger-pointing among departments.

Brilliant people, fun work, interesting technology

I have been working at iRobot

Pros

The engineers are very smart and a pleasure to work with. Unlike most places I have worked, at iRobot I find myself surrounded by intelligent people who want to do a good job. Slackers don't fit in but creative experts will feel right at home. The work is actually fun. Really! No joke!

Cons

Scope of government funding and careful safe guarding of company money often prevents development of higher risk/higher reward technologies. Middle management can dither and waste time that could be better spent doing actual work. Too many managers managing too few engineers in some projects.

Your engineers are smart, your leadership has decent vision, but you need to slim the middleman and let your people spend the money advancing the product instead of analyzing until they only have the time for a quick fix.

iRobot Photos

View from outside the iRobot headquarter office located in Bedford, MA (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.59)

+ Add Photo