iSoftStone

Updated November 24, 2014
2.6

iSoftStone Chairman and CEO Tianwen (T. W.) Liu
Tianwen (T. W.) Liu

A global consulting company with startup feel

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at iSoftStone full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company culture is fantastic. As a services organization, people are generally onsite with customers and it can be difficult to connect as a team. iSoftStone does a great job managing this with company events, BBQs at the office, and encouraging frequent 1:1 meetings and work activities. Senior leadership is strong and supportive and the door is always open to discuss career, issues, clients, etc.

Cons

Training has been difficult to come by in the last few years. As a billable resource, the training needs to be done in off hours which makes it hard to achieve. The support is there to take training, but it'd be nice to do this during the work day.

Continue to invest in employees with training and career mentoring. Keep the small company feel and close interaction of all team members.

web developer intern

I worked at iSoftStone

Pros

good working experience and business team

Cons

long working hours, less competitive salary

Great company

Current Employee - Project Manager in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at iSoftStone full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good management and benefits. Local leadership treats employees fairly and provides good guidance to employees. Some cool events occasionally.

Cons

China based influence in decisions. Not a ton of perks for employees - equipment is out dated and hard to get replaced if any issues come up.

More transparency on company direction.

Isoft contractor

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at iSoftStone as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The pros are that I work from home.

Cons

The manager doesn't respond to emails unless it has something in it for them. Questions go unanswered. Although pay is convenient with direct deposit, I never know when I am going to get paid. I can confirm my hours and get paid the next day or 10 days later. When depending on this income to pay bills, it is not reliable.

Communicate with your at home employees. A pay schedule would be great So I know when I will be getting paid.

No recognition ($) for superior performance

Former Employee - Engineer in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I worked at iSoftStone full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice view from the Kirkland office

Cons

Company is very top-heavy. A business with 150 full-time employees should not have 15 vice presidents. Excellent reviews from clients does not translate to raises or bonuses at review time. Best to be a slacker if you work here. The CEO (in Boston) has no clue about the incompetence of management and sales in Kirkland.

recognize top performers, don't try to advance to new markets (like Dallas) if you can't make sales in the silicon forest.
    Need to do a better job of screening new employees - I know of at least 2 companies that refuse to do further business with ISS because of this.

If you value your mental health, stay away. BAD.

Former Employee - Web Search Evaluator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Web Search Evaluator in New York, NY

I worked at iSoftStone as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Work from home (if you get the job).
    Pleasant project managers when they respond.
    Pay is OK.

Cons

Lack of communication. Project managers that are either too busy, too lazy, or as frustrated as we are (or all of the above). Extensive guidelines that don't always make sense. Lots of glitches with the toolbar needed for the project. FRUSTRATING training process. This last part is not necessarily iSoftsone's fault, but they failed to put their client in place, and I'm sure there are lots of us with (unanswered) complaints about many issues encountered during the training process. An incredible waste of time. Will not recommend to anyone.

We aren't computers. We are real people with complex thinking and analytical skills and processes. We have to be treated as such. We need a job and might need to count on the money we earn from you to make a living and pay our bills.
    Do not waste our time with endless (and sometimes useless), unpaid training, and don't let your clients do whatever they want with YOUR contractors.

Independent Contractor for iSoftStone

Current Employee - English Transcriptionist
    Current Employee - English Transcriptionist

I have been working at iSoftStone as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I am an independent contractor (English Transcriber) for iSoftStone. The hours are flexible and you can choose when to complete tasks so long as you put in 10-25 hours of labor. They offer a decent wage and it is competitive based. Pay is once a month via direct deposit or paypal.

Cons

Projects may be sparse. Also, communication can be improved upon. I have sent a few emails requesting project updates and have yet to receive responses to a majority of them.

senor software designer

I have been working at iSoftStone

Pros

it's good people and atmostphere

Cons

salary is too low and no good benifits

need find more clients

iSoftstone - good folks, decent work

Former Employee - Software Developer in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Kirkland, WA

I worked at iSoftStone full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my time at iSoftStone in Kirkland. The new office is nice, and they often have fun group activities and training exercises. They got me some interesting web services projects for some big name companies. The people and work environment are quite pleasant.

Cons

I had a great manager who unfortunately left the company, and then another one who was decent but not proactive at all. Perhaps some of the other middle management are strong, but that's not what I saw.

Keep investing in your culture - its what keeps people there. Strengthen your middle management.

Horrible..

Current Employee - SEO Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - SEO Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at iSoftStone part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You do not need any experience for this position and they will only hire if you live in the United States. They post job Ads on Indeed and Craigslist. They pay once a month via direct deposit working only 25hr per week, $12/hr.

Cons

You have no one to guide you and they won't talk to you about the materials you need. They will hand you a site to watch videos and read guidelines and they send it in a way as if you are wasting their time and tell you other people want this position. Training is completely on your own. There is a toolbar you will need to use with Internet Explorer and it has bugs. No one answers your emails or questions regarding your training or the job position.

Treat your "work from home" employees as you would to in-office employees. Talk to the people you hire and let them know the progress of their training. More interaction can go a long way. Be more involved is all i can say.