iconmobile

Great Company

Former Employee - Production Associate in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Production Associate in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at iconmobile full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Fantastic People
    - Well known Clients
    - Great office vibe and culture

Cons

- Pay scale differs A TON. Employees are cut in half and some make a ton, where many don't make enough, and it's not just based on job title-- If the company wants someone, they will pay whatever it takes to get that person
    - Organization and Communication-- Reviews and meetings do not always happen as scheduled, and therefore, many lines of communication get lost.

Feast or famine

I have been working at iconmobile

Pros

lunch club! good people and casual.

Cons

unsteady work. very project oriented

Toxic meat grinder.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at iconmobile full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Interesting projects in cutting edge fields, international environment.

Cons

Meat grinder approach to hiring and retention. Chew employees up and spit them out with no support - nearly 100% turnover in my time there.

Please start caring about your employees careers. They only have one.

Hope things have gotten better

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at iconmobile full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent Creative Folks, Super smart people and interesting client base. Young, hip staff and in a good location.

Good pay and benefits

Cons

Conflicts w/ Berlin HQ - too much reliance on Berlin development team (who we had to use due to company structure) who were expensive and difficult to work with. In-fighting between teams and sometimes being completely lied to on project updates, estimates and status.

Toxic environment - Management had a 'bullying' mentality to get performance out of their staff, instead of coaching, inspiration and support. People quick to throw each other under the bus and a blame culture

Unprofessional - lots of situations I witnessed that were grounds for a lawsuit ( inappropriate jokes and chastising staff with off-color comments)

Headed in the right direction...

I have been working at iconmobile full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly intelligent people. Opportunities for growth. Office located next to Sanata Monica food and shops. Good clients.

Cons

Occasional inter-departmental bickering. Layout of office not conducive to productivity (giant rows of tables, looks like a classroom.) Over reliance on freelancers.

After major challenges last year, company seems to be moving in a positive direction. Retain successful current employees, and work towards converting long term freelancers to employees.

One of the most efficient and professional groups I've had the pleasure to work with.

Former Employee - Creative Director in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Creative Director in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at iconmobile as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

-Excellent senior management.
    -Very professional.
    -Kind people.

Cons

-Although my work with them was pushing the envelope for the client, they don't always have that relationship with their clients. So the work might not always be a portfolio piece.

-Great agency to work with.
    -I would recommend to the agency to seek opportunities that would lead to placing the agency in a stronger leading role in their relationship to the client. As we all know how strong of an emerging market the mobile platform is - this is a huge opportunity.

complete chaos

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at iconmobile

Pros

IconMobile has a good location on the Santa Monica Promenade.

Cons

IconMobile was so poorly managed it was hard to get anything done, the workspace was dirty and cramped. Employees were always disappearing - you never knew if they were quitting or getting fired. I'd try to do my work but the ECD would just do it all over and not listen to anyone else's opinion.

amazing and talented colleagues, exec mgmt is a disaster

Former Employee - Designer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Designer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at iconmobile

Pros

i stayed at icon as long as i did because of the wonderful colleagues. to a person, they are funny and smart. the dev's and pm's get it and are fun to work with. the head of ux is super smart and laid back and really good to work with. they keep changing tech directors but they all seem pretty smart. the head pm in socal doesn't bs us and really protects the design team. i don't know the seattle people but they all seem nice from afar.

oh, and the free beer on tap is awesome.

Cons

the sr. design managers are overloaded and aren't available. the company changes direction daily. account is bright, but they end up doing the design work themselves.

there is alot of yelling and gossip. people are quitting daily b/c of the executive team and the way they treat people and how little they understand about what we do.

stop yelling at your employees. put some people in charge who are older than 25. stop changing your mind every day.

No growth

I worked at iconmobile

Pros

Some nice, smart and friendly collegues, an international environment, some big clients

Cons

Talent is not developed nor rewarded. Entry level positions are underpaid and there's no real interest in keeping people.

Rudderless and technologically clueless

I have been working at iconmobile

Pros

Free beer, cool people, decent rate of pay.

Cons

Terrible morale resulting in constant churn. Ownership is hopelessly clueless about technology, which is reflected in the upper management they employ. Inexplicable reliance on an outmoded platform and lumbering bureaucracy of the German parent company.

The culture of your company is horrendous. Try valuing your employees as people, not as "resources" or means to an end.