iiNet Reviews

Updated August 13, 2014

iiNet CEO Michael Malone
Michael Malone

OK workplace

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Auckland (New Zealand)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Auckland (New Zealand)

I worked at iiNet full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good place to start your customer service.

Cons

Only suited for sales and customer service people. Almost no growth opportunities for the technical people. Do not join a CSR role at iiNet if you are looking to build a career in IT

Not a bad place to work.

Former Employee - Technical Support Officer  in  Hawthorn (Australia)
    Former Employee - Technical Support Officer in Hawthorn (Australia)

I worked at iiNet part-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked in technical support. This was basically front line customer service work with a technical flavour - assisting customers of iinet's home broadband products with technical troubleshooting. I found that people working at iinet were professional in behaviour for the most part. I didn't encounter any bullying, racism, etc. I worked at the Hawthorn, Victoria offices. The physical environment was pleasant (not cramped, decent views, close to shops). The systems were decent (not antiquated). I was able to negotiate hours & times that fit with my study commitments.

Cons

Pay not so great. Front line customer service work is repetitive.

Interesting work but at low pay

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer  in  Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I have been working at iiNet full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Interesting work on a national scale.

Cons

Poor pay, high turn over of staff, a lot of silo's, and a lack of imagination when it comes to innovation.

Take some risks.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work, amazing culture.

Current Employee - Human Resources  in  Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I have been working at iiNet full-time for more than a year

Pros

The growth and travel opportunities

Cons

Structure the KPI's more inline with the ever changing roles.

Keep the family atmosphere going, know the names not the numbers.

Stress Ridden Nightmare

Former Employee - Support Customer Service Representative  in  Auckland (New Zealand)
    Former Employee - Support Customer Service Representative in Auckland (New Zealand)

I worked at iiNet full-time for more than a year

Pros

-some genuinely nice and helpful staff empathetic to you because they've been through it all before

Cons

-lowest wages in the industry
    -training is a joke, less than 2 weeks before you are literally dumped on the phones with no support. this includes new employees with no previous IT experience that iiNet were still for some reason more than happy to employ
    -Senior CSR's have an attitude of "I've already done my time here, i don't need to help you". Will frequently refuse to do their stated duties such as taking escalations
    -The most abusive customers I have ever dealt with
    -Pathetic internal processes, front line staff have no better contact with harder to reach departments than the customer does leading to ridiculous waiting times for services and proper resolution of problems
    -Completely robotic management style : reach your KPI's or get out
    -Severely outdated and buggy internal systems make each task take twice as long as it should
    -Too many externally hired Managers with no experience in IT and no knowledge of how the systems work

your employees hate you

It is what you make of it.

Current Employee - Senior Customer Services Representative  in  Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Services Representative in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at iiNet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most people that work there and leave have the same comment, the people there make it worth while.
    As a CSR, it's the best way to get any entry level billing or entry level technical support knowledge bar none.
    Get experience working with nearly all available commercial technologies.
    With the new EPA increase salaries are not as bad now when compared to other ISPs.
    A good place for new people to the work force to open their eyes, know what hard work is and set goals for the future.
    The workplace actively tries to foster a community feel with events being thrown every so often.
    R&R bonuses are achivable and can significantly boost a CSR/SCSR salary

Cons

Nearly every next step position for a CSR/SCSR is located in Perth.
    The level of technical aptitude for the range of products that is available is much too great for a CSR/SCSR.
    The pay level is still around 5k lower than equivalent positions at other ISPs.
    The level of KPI's and in-depth monitoring of staff statistics can be oppressive.

A few thoughts on my role as a SCSR over the years.
    The work that a CSR/SCSR does can't always be quantified as surely as the sales CSR, but its the role that means customers don't leave the company. What use is a company that makes money off new customers if it can't retain or maintain the money it has from existing customers?

The salary has finally increased to being mostly worth while after the lastest EPA.

Every-so-often the staff in Melb look at the iinet careers page, apply for positions and find out later its gone to someone in Perth. Its rather telling how centrist iiNet is to Perth when a subpar CSR (I know of 2 so far) can suddenly progress to joining the Peth NOC.

There's prob loads more, but time doesn't permit further comment. Suffice to say that I'm sure iiNet have heard it all before and the business model doesn't push for any drastic changes.

OK if young or inexperienced in field

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Hawthorn (Australia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hawthorn (Australia)

I worked at iiNet full-time

Pros

Good staff environment with entertainment area coffee vending machines etc, fun benefits, easy systems, good team environment, free internet

Cons

Low salary, overly micro managed, opportunity for legitimate development small,

Team leaders need to be trained better as managers

Significant improvement required

Current Employee - Senior Programmer  in  Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I have been working at iiNet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Most of the people on the front line are nice, so you're working with people from all areas of life
    - Cake day and other social related gimmicks
    - Great coffee machine

Cons

- Management too busy playing politics
    - Management chooses to ignore in-house technical staff. Prefers to outsource to contractors, who'll pretty much say the same thing, but get paid heaps more to say it.
    - Renumeration is poor vs industry wage standard.
    - Project work can have very unrealistic deadlines.

More fair renumeration
    Listen to opinions of in-house staff. They work with the systems and are "your" technical specialists. Promote these staff and listen to them.

There is no plan, simply knee-jerk reactions to crises as they unfold...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I have been working at iiNet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some of the staff who work there are fantastic - the company succeeds because of them.

There is some scope for working flexibly if you work in the right department.

Cons

Decisions are made at glacial pace - unless it's a reaction to a crisis.

iiNet are well-known for paying the worst salaries in the industry.

The management style of some executives leaves a lot to be desired.

Listen to your staff, communicate with them, inspire them, plan for the future, pay your staff on merit so you can retain key staff.

Fantastic culture, hard work rewarded

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I have been working at iiNet full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great sales bonus scheme, with achievable statistical targets. The company has a great culture with a really collaborative atmosphere. Plenty of options to progress or switch departments.

Cons

The happy culture is a bit deceptive, maybe they model the offices on Google or other big tech companies a bit too much. You can only relax if you are hitting your targets.

iiNet Photos

Lunch at iiNet

+ Add Photo

Worked for iiNet? Contribute to the Community!