iiNet Reviews

2.8
iiNet CEO Michael Malone
Michael Malone

1. Better than most

Pros

The network and application development teams are of a good quality. It's about as nerdy as you'd expect.

Cons

The salary was quite low compared to what I've had elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

2. Great environment, inconsistent managerial team.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Subiaco (Australia)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Subiaco (Australia)

I worked at iiNet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone's iinet experience is slightly different. For me I don't know if I was merely lucky or somehow did certain things to avoid conflict but I never really had any problems. My pros would be: Positive comfortable work environment Friendly atmosphere Great company events Reasonable expections of emplotee Decent but monetarily average bonus system Advice for future applicants for iinet: If you can put up with the $40 pa salary, job stress and implied employee disposability, iinet is a great place to work at. As long as you keep your head down, do your work to the best of your ability, show up on time and avoid sick days, you will have a similar experience to mine - which over all I would classify as positive.

Cons

Although I never had any negative experiences, I found the managerial system was often employed a philosophically flawed and unfair bias to those who did not "fit in". This is a hard thing to explain because everyone's a bit nerdy and quirky and for the most part iinet has a huge range of different people accoss gender, ethnicity and even disability, the largest I've ever witnessed in my working history, but there was several times I observed unfair singling out of other employees, unfortunately if you are unlucky enough to put a thorn in one of the managers foot with a simple mistake or the way you behave, simply because the manager woke up on the wrong side of the bed, you may be made to feel at uneasy and may find your workload increasing and more than average pressure applied. Pay could be better for stress involved but I was happy enough with it as I felt the benefits far outweighed the negatives.

Advice to Management

Management needs to care more about employee mental health. Iinet has a pathetic solution, a free councilling service and occasionally speaking with a superior should you express stress, while these conversations are mentally therapeutic, actions speak louder than words. We are made to feel the work we do is never enough, most employees really want two love the company but we are made to feel disposable. This combined with the mediocre wage is why the company has such a high turnover rate.

3. Think twice

I worked at iiNet full-time

Pros

Fun and vibrant working enviroment.

Cons

Unorganised KPI sytem with too much room for error. Poor HR support.

Advice to Management

Hire more HR relevent people to support the ever growing staff of your company.

5. CSR

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cannington (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cannington (Australia)

I have been working at iiNet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A few friendly managers. Work from home if you do get.

Cons

your job is always at risk. A single email from customer or call can risk your job. HR and management only care about stats and you are just a number. probably the lowest paying in the industry. You have more hats to wear on ur jobscope but the pay you get for it is miserable. Its not about what you know to progress but more like who you know.

Advice to Management

Treat employees better and not just as a stat. Its financially sound to pay well to experienced staff than to train 20-30 new staffs and only 5-6 remaining after the first few weeks of call taking.

6. one of the best places i have worked

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Auckland (New Zealand)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Auckland (New Zealand)

I have been working at iiNet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good staff at all levels competitive salary actually get rewarded for meting high KPI's active career path help

Cons

not enough people on phones atm

Advice to Management

you need more customer service staff to bring the call ques in line and ease the ppresure of your current staff

Customer service representitives

Pros

Good work enviroment with some capable people

Cons

Company is too focused on stats and NPS and KPIs And not focused on the well being of staff at all

Advice to Management

Train your staff better and pay your staff better as well!

8. Programmer

Former Employee - Programmer in Adelaide (Australia)
    Former Employee - Programmer in Adelaide (Australia)

Pros

Good culture in the Adelaide Office

Cons

Company staff turnover was starting to climb when I left and we didn't hire good quality replacements fast enough

Programmer

Former Employee - Programmer in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Former Employee - Programmer in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I worked at iiNet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you're lucky to find a good team, you will have a great time. If you're a junior developer, you will learn a lot, but in my experience listening to the other people there on best practices, or the way to get things done, is a bad idea. Go out and research for yourself.

Cons

Left on my own terms, and these points are what I feel after working somewhere that is completely opposite. iiNet not a software engineering focused company, so don't expect much as far as allocating enough people to do the job right. Some projects are staffed excessively because another department "pays" for the positions, while others are massively understaffed because there's no clear owner for a system. Work/Life balance is non-existent, and even in non-operations teams you will find pressure to work late nights and weekends to meet unrealistic release deadlines which were set before the project was even scoped. Salary is abysmally low, and tends to remain at least 10-20% below the average for the city, and about 30-60% below what you'd get working somewhere like Google Sydney. The salary ranges between junior and senior developers are *massive* in an industry where those gaps are becoming smaller, and smaller by the day.

Advice to Management

Decide what you want the company to be. You're not an engineering company, so don't pretend to be. You actually need to have some experienced engineers to be that kind of company.

10. Warning! - Worst Company Ever!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I worked at iiNet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In my opinion, there are none.

Cons

I worked for iiNet (Perth) for 3 years. They are unethical in their business practices, and what they are doing to their staff. Everything is monitored and designed to turn a human literally into a machine. There is no humanity left in this company they do not care one bit about the people (customers or staff). They use intimidation and manipulation to get what they want. To me this is modern day slavery. Stay clear of these people if you want to keep your sanity and soul intact. I learned this the hard way, these people are tyrants.

Advice to Management

One other reviewer on here said it well. Your staff members hate you for a reason. You already have enough feedback from staff to do better, but you don't care about anything but profits.

Waste of time

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Adelaide (Australia)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Adelaide (Australia)

I worked at iiNet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company provided monthly allowance for services. Monthly bonus incentives.

Cons

Terrible management. Highly stressful. Not worth the pay they give you when you consider the stress involved. Your starting wage is about 38-39k per year, but if feels like you should be getting paid 50-60k for your efforts. I left IInet after 4 years. I found the work environment just kept getting worse every year. The biggest issue is the lack of on going training provided to staff. I waited 2 years to be trained in some programs that were commonly used in my role. There is always some kind of new process or promotion you need to familiarize yourself with. Seniors are to focused on talking to each other socially instead of monitoring their area. In the situation when a customer calls and they have an issue that you cannot resolve, and the customer asks you to speak a manager. Managers will decline to take the escalation from you from time to time. Leaving you stuck with an angry customer, that you can't help. There's nothing worse. There is not many spots for advancement in the company. You'll find that the promotions are statistic based and not skill based. So there a lot of people who have been promoted because they're never sick and not because they're the most qualified.

Advice to Management

Listen to your front line staff more, not just your team leaders. Have regular on going training for all departments after their initial training to ensure they are familiar with all processes. Increase base salary to 50k per year.

RSS Feed </> Embed