iiNet

ii.net

iiNet Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014
iiNet – Perth – “Lunch at iiNet”

iiNet CEO Michael Malone

Michael Malone

Not a bad place to work.

Technical Support Officer (Former Employee) Hawthorn (Australia)

ProsI worked in technical support. This was basically front line customer service work with a technical flavour - assisting customers of iinet's home broadband products with technical troubleshooting. I found that people working at iinet were professional in behaviour for the most part. I didn't encounter any bullying, racism, etc. I worked at the Hawthorn, Victoria offices. The physical environment was pleasant (not cramped, decent views, close to shops). The systems were decent (not antiquated). I was able to negotiate hours & times that fit with my study commitments.

ConsPay not so great. Front line customer service work is repetitive.

Interesting work but at low pay

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

ProsInteresting work on a national scale.

ConsPoor pay, high turn over of staff, a lot of silo's, and a lack of imagination when it comes to innovation.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some risks.

Great place to work, amazing culture.

Human Resources (Current Employee) Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

ProsThe growth and travel opportunities

ConsStructure the KPI's more inline with the ever changing roles.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the family atmosphere going, know the names not the numbers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stress Ridden Nightmare

Support Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Auckland (New Zealand)

Pros-some genuinely nice and helpful staff empathetic to you because they've been through it all before

Cons-lowest wages in the industry
    -training is a joke, less than 2 weeks before you are literally dumped on the phones with no support. this includes new employees with no previous IT experience that iiNet were still for some reason more than happy to employ
    -Senior CSR's have an attitude of "I've already done my time here, i don't need to help you". Will frequently refuse to do their stated duties such as taking escalations
    -The most abusive customers I have ever dealt with
    -Pathetic internal processes, front line staff have no better contact with harder to reach departments than the customer does leading to ridiculous waiting times for services and proper resolution of problems
    -Completely robotic management style : reach your KPI's or get out
    -Severely outdated and buggy internal systems make each task take twice as long as it should
    -Too many externally hired Managers with no experience in IT and no knowledge of how the systems work

Advice to Senior Managementyour employees hate you

It is what you make of it.

Senior Customer Services Representative (Current Employee) Melbourne (Australia)

ProsMost people that work there and leave have the same comment, the people there make it worth while.
    As a CSR, it's the best way to get any entry level billing or entry level technical support knowledge bar none.
    Get experience working with nearly all available commercial technologies.
    With the new EPA increase salaries are not as bad now when compared to other ISPs.
    A good place for new people to the work force to open their eyes, know what hard work is and set goals for the future.
    The workplace actively tries to foster a community feel with events being thrown every so often.
    R&R bonuses are achivable and can significantly boost a CSR/SCSR salary

ConsNearly every next step position for a CSR/SCSR is located in Perth.
    The level of technical aptitude for the range of products that is available is much too great for a CSR/SCSR.
    The pay level is still around 5k lower than equivalent positions at other ISPs.
    The level of KPI's and in-depth monitoring of staff statistics can be oppressive.

Advice to Senior ManagementA few thoughts on my role as a SCSR over the years.
    The work that a CSR/SCSR does can't always be quantified as surely as the sales CSR, but its the role that means customers don't leave the company. What use is a company that makes money off new customers if it can't retain or maintain the money it has from existing customers?

The salary has finally increased to being mostly worth while after the lastest EPA.

Every-so-often the staff in Melb look at the iinet careers page, apply for positions and find out later its gone to someone in Perth. Its rather telling how centrist iiNet is to Perth when a subpar CSR (I know of 2 so far) can suddenly progress to joining the Peth NOC.

There's prob loads more, but time doesn't permit further comment. Suffice to say that I'm sure iiNet have heard it all before and the business model doesn't push for any drastic changes.

OK if young or inexperienced in field

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Hawthorn (Australia)

ProsGood staff environment with entertainment area coffee vending machines etc, fun benefits, easy systems, good team environment, free internet

ConsLow salary, overly micro managed, opportunity for legitimate development small,

Advice to Senior ManagementTeam leaders need to be trained better as managers

Significant improvement required

Senior Programmer (Current Employee) Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

Pros- Most of the people on the front line are nice, so you're working with people from all areas of life
    - Cake day and other social related gimmicks
    - Great coffee machine

Cons- Management too busy playing politics
    - Management chooses to ignore in-house technical staff. Prefers to outsource to contractors, who'll pretty much say the same thing, but get paid heaps more to say it.
    - Renumeration is poor vs industry wage standard.
    - Project work can have very unrealistic deadlines.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore fair renumeration
    Listen to opinions of in-house staff. They work with the systems and are "your" technical specialists. Promote these staff and listen to them.

Fantastic culture, hard work rewarded

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

ProsGreat sales bonus scheme, with achievable statistical targets. The company has a great culture with a really collaborative atmosphere. Plenty of options to progress or switch departments.

ConsThe happy culture is a bit deceptive, maybe they model the offices on Google or other big tech companies a bit too much. You can only relax if you are hitting your targets.

There is no plan, simply knee-jerk reactions to crises as they unfold...

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

ProsSome of the staff who work there are fantastic - the company succeeds because of them.

There is some scope for working flexibly if you work in the right department.

ConsDecisions are made at glacial pace - unless it's a reaction to a crisis.

iiNet are well-known for paying the worst salaries in the industry.

The management style of some executives leaves a lot to be desired.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff, communicate with them, inspire them, plan for the future, pay your staff on merit so you can retain key staff.

Great environment!

Developer (Current Employee) Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

ProsPositive work environment
    Relaxed attitude
    Minimal micromanagement
    Customer experience focussed

ConsSluggish approval processes
    Under-staffed departments lead to delays
    Internal politics

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep faith in future proof tech

Worked for iiNet? Contribute to the Community!