ikaSystems

Updated Jul 22, 2014

ikaSystems President & CEO Joseph V. Marabito

Joseph V. Marabito

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Opportunities. Committed People. Going to change the Healthcare Industry!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Southborough, MA

ProsLeaders, managers and employees are committed to transforming the way work is done in this organization. Revitalized focus on quality, process enhancements, efficiency, productivity and hiring top talent.

ConsCompany is going through an enormous transformation - the velocity is intense and there's no place to hide. People who are not top performers with cutting edge skills will not survive. There's very little slack in the system and everyone needs to "pull their weight". Burnout is a risk.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course on process efficiencies and don't let up on demands for high quality work. Build some extra capacity into the system to give your best employees a chance to re-charge.

Good place to work, however, it's a small company with lack of training resources and not good company benefits.

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Southborough, MA

ProsNeed to always take initiative or else nothing gets done by management.

ConsLack of structure, lack of training resources, too many obstacles regarding resources and systems access. ALOT of outsourcing makes it difficult to do your job. In other words, departments being outsourced, etc.Employees do not feel that their jobs are safe and feel confident about their knowledge due to lack of initial training regarding product.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be structure and a dedicated training resources in each product. Management does not understand how systems work. They make decisions without this knowledge and grunt worker get burnt in the process. Employees do not feel that their jobs are safe.

Forward looking, Growing and Transforming

Software Architect (Current Employee) Southborough, MA

ProsMaking major enhancements in process, technology and quality. Growing rapidly. Very cool technology challenges. Really good people (mix of experience and new people)

ConsSome people who aren't high performers and/or are not evolving their skillsets are not happy. It's a classic example of a company moving from start-up to high growth mode and that isn't comfortable for all people.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement generally takes a "cannot confirm or deny" attitude regarding future layoffs. I'd recommend that they get more specific. More specifically, 1) If you deliver and customers love you, you have nothing to worry about, 2) if you're on the tech side, you have to either grow by having up-to-date technology skills (SOA vs client server) or progress as a business expert (health plan guru) e.g. to lead implementations. 3) If you're performing repetitive tasks, automate them and take on more.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Start up environment, building and transforming. Great product and great people.

Technical Manager (Current Employee) Southborough, MA

ProsPeople, Product and sense of accomplishment.
    Able to impact the bottom line directly due to size of the organization

ConsWork life balance...working on it. Lack of investment in training. Need to do a better job at holding people accountable.
    Need more transparency
    Adding a number of high level roles, need more hands on deck to execute the work

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in the people- training
    Hold people accountable
    Hire additional individual contributors to execute the work.

Lay offs and Outsourcing of jobs!

Like I Would Disclose!! (Current Employee) Southborough, MA

ProsDiminishing pros - I do not see many pros other than that the Benefits may be good here.

ConsLay offs always feel personal though they may not be.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys did not know how to manage $150mn of capital. You give excuses(senseless)
    WE thought the the capital was supposed to lake us to the next level by leveraging our domain expertise. Instead you spent the money in reorganizing - yet to see results. I am not sue how many of the employees including Sr. Mgmt can confidently say that things have improved and they have a better work-life balance. We were slogging in the start up phase and remain in the same state after over 10yrs of existence.

i loved the work environment , very smart people worked there

Systems Engineer III (Current Employee) Southborough, MA

Prosexperienced people worked there , you will get the best knowledge

Conssome startegy and process need to follow

Advice to Senior Managementi cant advice on this they are smart

Embrace the change....but not so easy!!

Technical Analyst (Current Employee) Southborough, MA

Pros- Dynamic work environment
    - Welcomes new initiatives
    - Enough scope to grow
    - Excellent group of people

Cons- Could hit the jackpot or go completely extinct in near future
    - Too much politics
    - Should be very competitive to handle the work load and pressure

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Very challenging,

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Southborough, MA

ProsThe staff is very nice.

ConsNot enough help to do the jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to hire more workers,developers and less administrators.

A company trying to figure its way to grow from start up mindset to a mature organization

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Southborough, MA

ProsA great group of technical folks. They take on any client related issues as personal issues and don't wait till they get to resolution.

Management team does seem to have a vision to take the company forward.

ConsToo many aggressive commitments. Situation is improving, but the people are not comfortable as there is a clear gap between executive team and rank & file. The Executive team plan of transition to maturity not yet fully understood by the rank and file, which at times creates the issue of trust.

Not what it used to be and even then, it needed help.

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) Southborough, MA

ProsSome flexibility to work from home
    Decent claims and enrollment products
    Salary is just ok

ConsNo real work-life balance ... lots of overtime is necessary to knock out backlog of issues/tickets opened from reoccurring system issues.

Too many useless upper management in place with no real assistance or process improvement solutions to truly assist all of the grunt workers.

The constant 'chase down and hunt' of developers to get the work done. Most are probably overwhelmed anyways with the workload.

The systems hardly work as expected. Fix one issue, they break another - continuous cycle.

No training whatsoever. Resources are limited, too busy with other issues. Therefore, BA's suffer tremendously on the front line with client complaints.

A blame game working environment.

Let's not forget the continuous layoffs. They have been going on unexpectedly for a year and a half now. Company is in trouble and are not being truthful with the staff.

Benefits and Vacation time can be better. No real internal company policies in place. No structure, no room for growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf only management would have taken into consideration of feedback from the people who are doing all of the work and are on the front lines outside of Sales and Implementation, perhaps some thoughtful changes could have been implemented.

Listen, listen and take into consideration of the feedback/thoughts you receive from your employees. They are not all complaints but more so out of frustration due to no changes being done to do better.

Share the wealth (work load/responsibilities) among the team fairly. That will help decrease the stress level of your current employees. Stop laying people off and then putting the extra accounts on your existing workers. They are overwhelmed and beyond stressed already.

Upper management needs to start taking full responsibility for the failures because you are supposed to be the leaders. Start cracking down on those individuals as opposed to those on the lower end of the ladder.

And stop lying to your clients, making promises you cannot keep just to quiet them down. The system will break again and the blame will only fall down on your front line people. It's not fair.

Get your hands dirty every once in a while. Take some calls from the clients yourself, do some of the grunt work so that everyone is knowledgeable of the system functionality and can actually back up your Business Analysts. That will also decrease the number of questions you send back to the BA's when they are instead, explaining what the issue is and have already investigated the issue further.

Worked for ikaSystems? Contribute to the Community!