inContact

Updated January 29, 2015
3.9

inContact President, CEO, and Director Paul Jarman
Paul Jarman

Pros
  • Offers work from home 1X Day a week in most departments (in 5 reviews)

• Fun place to work with great people and great culture (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing at a rate that is hard to keep up with (in 5 reviews)

• It seems that upper management needs to be more aligned (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work for a year to two.

I worked at inContact full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Top-notch CFO, pretty much runs the company. Solid position in their space as a contact center 'software as a service' provider. Brilliant engineers and dedicated service team. Hardcore sales-driven organization which keeps outlasting the competition. IT Operations and Infrastructure are a very firm backbone for the company and the leadership over Circuit Design and Connectivity is nothing short of world-class. HR Business Partners are also outstanding.

Cons

Leadership can be hit and miss. There are some great leaders and even better pretenders. The 'Talent Acquisition Manager' regularly says things like 'pretty please with sugar on top' or 'me and him' or 'him and I' and proclaims to 'know where people come from within minutes of talking with them'. Strange...

The technology is a highly complex patchwork of legacy products, third party solutions and continuing R&D. There's a lot of promise in the future of their architectural framework but Engineering is mostly led led by Novell leftovers. There seems to be an identity crisis where turf wars get in the way of collaboration.

Show up for your scheduled interviews with candidates. Keep your resume polished. Try replacing politics with collaboration.

Advice to Executives; find a Director of Organizational Development to guide HR and move on form there.

Good Company with Major Growing Pains

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midvale, UT

I have been working at inContact full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company really seems to care about treating people well and is actively working on programs and initiatives that are employee friendly. It is also growing a ton, which offers exciting opportunities for future advancement. Lastly, the company straddles two great industries, telecom and SaaS (software as a service), so that's cool since it gives you experience with both.

Cons

First, the whole company is so busy trying to grow super fast. As a result, there's a certain vibe that kind of turns me off. Part of it is an attitude of burning people out. The company preaches work-life balance, but I don't believe the managers practice it in terms of how they apply it to subordinates. Another part of it is that everyone is so busy they won't give you the time of day. Even worse, some are kind of jerky in their attitude because of how busy they are, and they just want you to get out of their face. I find myself loathing having to do anything that requires the effort of others.

Next, contributing to the issue above, is that management has put in place an annoying, laborious, and convoluted goal system that weighs heavily on you when just trying to get your day job done. You have to set quarterly personal "stretch" goals, unlike the yearly ones I've always seen at other companies. This is just too much, and the overhead for simply getting yet another quarterly goal up and running is a quite frustrating. There is also a misguided department goal system called 4DX that is a big hassle to deal with and kind of a joke in that I don't really think it accomplishes what it sets out to because it becomes a silly box to check. These two items can greatly contribute to job dissatisfaction because of how they have been implemented.

Lastly, the only other thing I'd say is that I worry a little about the company's future. It's growing now, but I see signs of instability in some of the decisions that are being made and how they are implemented, and I question if the grand plan can be pulled off in the end. Only time will tell with this one.

1.) Change the quarterly personal goals to a yearly basis. Quarterly is overkill and contributes to burnout. Everyone is already way too busy even without this. Restructure the bonus program to deal with the change.

2.) Get rid of 4DX and replace it with a "normal" traditional company goal system. Better yet, make the personal and department goals the same, like at every other company I've been at. Management systems like 4DX are counterproductive and serve only to line the pockets of consulting companies. The basic ideas may seem sound, but the day-to-day implementation of 4DX becomes a joke from an employee perspective. For example, why do I have to take our whole 4DX goal and evenly distribute it between all the weeks in the date range just so I can check a box and say I kept my "commitment"? What if I can do 5 hours this week, 0 the next, and 2 the one after that? My manager told our group that averaging is not acceptable, and we have to hit our planned number of hours consistently each week. What other system of completing goals and projects doesn't allow you flexibility to adjust to your daily priorities--like when you have more time one week and less time another. That is just one of many flaws I have seen with how 4DX works. I've experienced several frameworks like this now--each company seems to have its pet management theory--and 4DX is by far the worst for its structural deficiencies that lead to perverse unintended consequences.

3.) Make sure the managers get the memo about work-life balance. The CEO has spoken about it passionately, but people are killing themselves. It leads to burnout and hurts morale. Sometimes it feels like the company can't get anything accomplished because people are too bogged down.

inContact is awesome!

Current Employee - Technical Support Advisor in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Technical Support Advisor in Midvale, UT

I have been working at inContact full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

inContact is a great place to work. This is the only company I have ever come across that rewards its Support employees the same way it rewards its Sales employees, including free trips for employee and a guest, cash, bonuses, iPads, etc. The culture is fantastic! Management not only encourages ideas, it acts to make changes and rewards the employees who make submissions. The company is young and ahead of its competition.

Cons

The only real con is that Management can sometimes be a little schizophrenic when they introduce changes. They have a tendency to make a very quick decision and then have to switch back to the old way later, however, I attribute this to growing pains more than anything else. And it does sometimes feel like the organization structure is a little on the top-heavy side. Does everyone have to be a VP of something?

Find the balance between thinking and acting. Don't be rash, but don't over-think everything either. More testing pre-release, even of that means we have only one release per year! Stability over speed!

Great SaaS company that is growing and growing

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Midvale, UT

I have been working at inContact full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Amazing technology and technical leaders
    inContact is winning new customers and growing because of it
    There are open positions and career opportunities for internal people
    Cash compensation is competitive and the quarterly bonus is really nice
    Leadership is driven to win and it translates into a market-driven culture
    Flexible working policies

Cons

Can be stressful at times with pressure to stay 99.99 uptime and bring on new customers and features. Better than the alternative.
    Growing so fast that the work environment is cramped (currently building a new building)
    Others mentioned silos and politics. Having worked elsewhere, it no different than anywhere else except that management acknowledges it at inContact.

Features aren't the only thing that customers want. Invest more in training, tools, core platform.
    Get around with rank and file employees more

Be prepared to be bullied

I worked at inContact full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Virtual work environment
    Good co-workers
    Smart people
    Good benefits

Cons

Excessive time spent in meetings - whole day would be filled with pointless vendor meetings.
    Management incredibly catty and back stabbing. Would IM during meetings and talk smack about other team members. My boss regularly referred to coworkers as morons, idiots, stupid, etc - horrible lack of respect. Expected to learn on the fly and then scolded when not perfect at get go. Environment felt very hectic and over scheduled.

When you have multiple people complaining about management take a look at how to improve instead of blindly promoting because they "hit their numbers." Doesn't mean they aren't a terrible manager.

Good Product,Bad Clients

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midvale, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midvale, UT

I worked at inContact full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good product which is cutting edge.
    Descent compensation
    Great Middle management and will to help out.

Cons

Very close knit team hard to ice break and lake of diversity.

Terrible clients the customer they sign do not know contact center technology or how to run a contact center which makes it easy to sell.

Some teams struggle to cross function or flat our deny helping other teams

Consider diversity which is very key for collaboration.

Avoid at all costs

Current Employee - Vice President Technical Alliance/Marketing Manager in Midvale, UT

I have been working at inContact full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great product. If you can become one of the "favorites" then you can do no wrong and will be supported. Strong implementation team. Most employees are extremely friendly, willing to help and positive under any circumstance.

Cons

High turnover rate due to no consistency or integrity. Company culture consists of back door politics, promises made but not kept and misleading information from upper management. Dishonesty and lack of morals are evident at all levels. Management expects employees to accept new responsibilities without fair compensation and no clear direction.

Listen to your employees who are directly involved with the day to day operations instead of the current barriers setup which restrict communication.

Could be so much better

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at inContact full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are the best asset to this company although the executive management team doesn't realize it. The market for Cloud Contact Center is really hot. They have built up their own infrastructure. The are becoming more enterprise ready.

Cons

Head of HR just doesn't care about people, the company changes direction constantly. Politics run rampant. The new guy syndrome is very prevalent here. Managers change control often, driven by executives.

Focus on a direction, follow the advice of your long term employees, use it as a strategy. Take a look at the talent you have that has been there for a long time. Don't overemphasize playing favorites.

Overall Employee Growth

Current Employee - Administrative in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Administrative in Midvale, UT

I have been working at inContact full-time (more than a year)

Pros

One of the reasons I love working for inContact is that it allows me to interact with so many skilled and diverse people around the globe. I get great satisfaction from being part of a multi-cultural environment that emphasizes teamwork. inContact provides me with a lot of freedom to set my own goals and work towards them. Ideas are always welcome and innovation is encouraged. The working environment is very flexible, with much consideration for the employees’ professional and personal needs. inContact focuses on the employee’s overall growth, not just professional performance.

Cons

Could use more interdepartmental transparancy

Don't just tell your employees they're doing it wrong, teach them to do it right the first time.

Good Compamu to work for

Current Employee - Manager of Sales Operations in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Manager of Sales Operations in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at inContact full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Medium size business with a small business attitude. Many opportunities for growth, and experience. The small business attitude allows for a fast paced work environment where you can affect real change. Fun place to work with great people and great culture.

Cons

Can be a bit silo-ed. It seems that upper management needs to be more aligned.

Show better unification. The silo-ing sometimes pits departments against each other the detriment of the company.