inDinero

Updated February 27, 2015
Updated February 27, 2015
3.4

CEO

Terrific team of professionals doing great work and having fun at it!

Current Employee - Team Member in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Team Member in Portland, OR

I have been working at inDinero full-time (less than a year)

Pros

My initial impressions of inDinero led me to think it was an innovative, collaborative, and energetic company that was having lots of fun working to invigorate an archaic industry--all things that have proven true from inside the hive. I love telling people about the product and service and witnessing them realize what a huge value for entrepreneurs and businesses they are. I've been constantly impressed by learning more about the people I work with--they all bring such fascinating backgrounds and serious passion for what we are doing. Compensation is competitive and benefits are multifaceted including some of the somewhat cliched perks (massage, catered lunch, company sponsored trips, snacks and libations abundant, etc.) in addition to resources being available for significant personal development and opportunities for growth. Yeah, I'm drinking the kool--aid and having fun working with this team!

Cons

The company is still relatively young and going through typical growing pains--that said, I'd gladly trade those small snags for the more rigid and "established" stifling systems I've encountered in my past and heard about from friends. It's a work-hard/play-hard group and I can understand that's not for everyone, but I dig it!

I know that the leadership team is committed to maintaining the culture, values, and employee empowerment that are core to the company, and would only echo the importance of keeping it a priority.

Not so good

I worked at inDinero

Pros

catered lunch on Mondays, ping pong table if you like to play, open vacation policy, good location next to Union Sq.

Cons

• The biggest problem that I saw is that no one is actually running/leading this company. The CEO was often M-I-A or just walking around the office not actually doing anything.
    • The company is way understaffed
    • There is no training provided and the overwhelming majority of employees here have no prior job experience. I didn’t get the sense that there were any plans to change this approach
    • Management really provides no direction in any way on the day to day side of things. Neither person in management has a tax/accounting or business background, so the value they can add is minimal
    • Major decisions tend to be left up to the young inexperienced employees without rational thought being given first
    • The company uses the classic bait and switch approach to acquire clients. Big promises of services and advisory that never get provided. In my short time with the company, I saw dozens of emails from upset clients who were irate at how they have been treated since signing up. Many of these clients were stricken with tax penalties and fees, or never reached out to, to be on boarded post sign up due to slip ups on inDinero’s end. You would think that inDinero would feel some sort of responsibility towards young start-ups who are paying and trusting inDinero to guide them through the accounting and tax process, so to be compliant. The management team doesn't appear to be concerned with these issues at all.
    • The overall culture isn't great either. If you are friends with management (which 3-4 people are) then you are on the “inside” clique and are treated differently and seen as more valuable, regardless if you actually are or not.
    • Communication on all levels, email, phone, and in person, is very unprofessional. Email communication to clients is horrible because clients do not have one central designated account manager that they can routinely go to.
    • I agree with other reviewers that the office space is pretty bad. Run down and dirty. Not a real impressive set up
    • What’s with all the interns? Shouldn't someone more experienced be handling these complex tax issues??
    • Disorganization runs rampant. When dealing with client inquiries there is no centralized location to look up client files. This creates wild goose chases hunting down prior filings, forms, financials etc, when the client may need something asap.
    • Company IT security is not very strong. All client credentials are readily available for anyone to see, and access confidential information.
    • Overall maturity level is lacking. Management and employees can be found laughing and mocking clients when they email in to complain about how poor the service has been
    • Sales is instructed to sign up as many clients as possible even though the company does not have the infrastructure to service those clients
    • Office culture is geared towards early 20 somethings and is very unprofessional, so naturally this serves as a repellent towards attracting more experienced candidates
    • Pay and benefits are pretty poor. It would do some good for them to review what the market and other start-ups are offering, to be more competitive
    • Very few people seem to last more than 6 mos at this company

Develop a long term plan and strategy. Come up with ways to actually get there. Add some professionalism and attract people who are experienced and know what they are doing

Smoke and Mirrors.

I worked at inDinero

Pros

My meager paycheck.

I thought inDinero would be a unique opportunity to work in accounting while working with start ups. It taught me more than a lot of other positions could have and I made great connections with the start ups that didn't end up hating inDinero's service. However, in good conscience I could never recommend inDinero as an employer or a service. It is mismanaged and the blatant disrespect for employees is unreal.

Cons

Do you hate people who don't immunize their children? Well, I do too. inDinero is the CEO's baby that she has chosen not immunize for measles. Sadly, this baby has contracted measles. And, despite countless people trying to intervene and providing real solutions to cure the illness the CEO won't let go. She will strangle this baby until it suffocates. Don't be her collateral damage.

- Leadership: Upper management pretends this is a SAAS company and not a professional service. Accounting is a professional service and management is incapable of recognizing this because of a complete lack of experience.

- Work-life balance: At dinner with the CEO, "I don't believe in work life balance. And, anyone who doesn't commit 110% isn't worth my time. I would fire [insert employee names here]."

- Company values: Nickel and dime every step of the way. Even when that means not making necessary hires to the detriment of clients and employees alike.

- Sales culture = over promise and under deliver. And, if that doesn't work then just lie. This is a root problem for unhappy clients that are sold incorrectly which is an issue that shouldn't be taken lightly when it comes to finances and taxes.

- Perks: Mandatory happy hour after work hours and mandatory company events on weekends. The CEO doesn't believe in taking time off on a weekday nor respecting employees personal time.

- Compensation: Below market value and bare minimum benefits. Want Equity? Restricted Stock is only available; spend your own cash to buy into the Hindenburg.

Fun Facts:
    - Sales team will kindly leave pizza and alcohol on your plastic desk from Costco over the weekend so it's nice and sticky first thing Monday morning

- Inappropriate sexual comments will be made on a daily basis. Even in front of the female CEO who disregards all inappropriate behavior.

- The CTO is also now the CFO. Yes, you read that correctly.

- Ever grabbed a bag from a snack shelf at work and taken your hand out to find a cockroach? Well, now you can if you choose to work at inDinero!

WARNING FOR CLIENTS: your check routing numbers, bank log-in info and any credentials you have shared with inDinero have been saved to a Shared Google Spreadsheet. All laptops were stolen with financial information and this was never reported. Change your passwords and hire a real CPA before you have to pay thousands of dollars in back taxes as other inDinero clients have had to do in the past.

(1) Go to business school.
    (2) Recognize your failure. Get a job and gain professional experience. I found it difficult to respect a CEO who has no respect for their employees which stems from never holding a job other than the company their mother has bank rolled.

Generous pay more than offsets mediocre benefits; flexible work environment balances out the long hours sometimes needed

I have been working at inDinero full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Depending on your role, level of flexibility could be very high

Spend time with smart, fun, hardworking people

"All teams same team" culture is adhered to whenever possible

Cons

As with any startup, things aren't always as organized as they could be. This creates the occasional craziness, which if you work with a startup you'll need to deal with!

We aren't really a startup any more!

Do not even consider

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at inDinero as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

catered lunch Mondays and keg on site.

Cons

I should have known to turn and run when I heard management justify not offering a candidate market rate for their position because “payroll taxes” would be more on the market rate salary. This company is constantly trying to cut corners at the expense of the employees and clients. It's sickening. This place lacks even a hint of professionalism or integrity.

As soon as you walk into the office you know you are not in a professional atmosphere. The place is a dump. Similar to a frat house in college…..after a huge party. 3 large new TV’s have just been sitting in boxes in a corner for months (maybe if they wouldn't have bought these we could have had a real company Christmas party instead of playing cards at the office on a Saturday night), picnic tables are used as desks, cardboard boxes as computer monitor stands, rats, mice, and cockroaches make regular appearances, spotty internet connections and stains are all over the carpets. How could you expect professionalism in that environment?

Clients are regularly misled on the firm’s capabilities, offerings and experience level of the staff that will be servicing their financials and taxes. Clients have specifically complained about lack of experience of employees who service their accounts, but management continues to bring in more interns and inexperienced people. They flat out do not care what their clients want.

For the work that the firm actually does do, it is not handled by a CPA or experienced tax accountant. In most cases it’s handled by someone in an office in Manila, an intern, or if you are lucky, a recent graduate with less than a year or 2’s worth of experience. If that’s not bad enough, new hires are being trained by these same inexperienced people. Clients are quitting daily due to this level of service. There is no quality control or oversight in place either, due to management feeling that it is a wasted cost to the firm.

Employee retention here is a huge issue. Clients are constantly upset that their account managers are changing multiple times in less than a year. Personally, I've never worked at a place where so many employees departed in such short amounts of time. Management shows a lack of maturity and respect when dealing with employees. If you have an opinion or idea about the business and it doesn't align with managements, you will be alienated and shown the door in no time. Loyalty is expected by management, but not reciprocated on their end. There is never any kind of investigation as to why good employees eventually sour on the company, and work environment. They are simply just written off as "bad fits" and bad mouthed in future meetings.

Any time questions arise about the company’s inefficiencies, management’s response is always that it’s because inDinero is a “start-up”. It has become the standard excuse or “crutch” for all the companies’ issues. The company has been here since 2009 so the excuse is starting to wear a little thin. Using a Google doc to track literally EVERYTHING instead of purchasing organizational software has proven to be disastrous as well, since it all needs to be updated manually. Naturally, this leads to things being over looked.

Proper investment in infrastructure has been willfully neglected for far too long. The company software is so bad that many clients’ accounts have to be serviced using QuickBooks (seen as a direct competitor to inDinero) or outsourced due to the shortfalls and inabilities of the company software.

The company is severely under capitalized resulting in many of the discussed issues.

Client complaints, negative feedback and general PR issues are routinely ignored and spoken about as if they do not matter. Lately these issues have really caught up and are causing major problems. Yet, management still ignores them and pretends they do not exist.

Managements MO seems to be to hire as few qualified people as possible with little regard to how this affects client service.

Noncompetitive pay and even less competitive perks and benefits. (Expect to have to pay for company equity if you want any (its not part of the compensation package), provide your own phone, your own laptop, set up your own workstation and acquire basic office supplies on your own)

Very flimsy security and controls on client information allow anyone in the company to go in and locate client bank information, credit card information and associated log ins and passwords. I’m not even kidding.

No ownership or accountability. CTO also serves as the CFO albeit having no experience in the world of finance. Sales Director leads client service and tax team with no tax knowledge.

No leadership. From anyone. Management does not even have a background in tax or accounting to lead.

Management has issues with telling employees the truth. Constantly misleading employees on everything from new hire timelines, to equipment purchases, to new office space to company strategy/planning to level of hires that need to be made.

Sales strategy is to prey on start-ups with little to no money and offer them 4 months of free service and then all but forget about them once they have been counted as a sale for the month.

Your time is running out. The word about how low the company has gone, is getting out. All of your problems are fixable but you refuse to take the advice that everyone keeps giving you. Its one thing to be ignorant but piling on arrogance on top of that is a bad move. Bring in someone who actually has experience who can help you and most importantly, ALLOW them to help you. Otherwise, you will be gone very soon.

Great learning experience and awesome work environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at inDinero full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are endless opportunities here at inDinero. I've learned and grew so much over the past two years I've been working here. If you are hardworking, dedicated, think outside the box, you would enjoy working here. inDinero actually cares about what employees like to do. Your voice would be heard and your opinion matters. The culture here is great and the company always host events such as ping pong tournaments and holiday parties and company outings. As mentioned in the other reviews, there are also perks such as Monday lunches, Friday happy hours, and unlimited snacks.

Cons

Workload can get stressful during busy season such as tax season. It's do-able if you know how to time manage. If you're up for the challenge, don't be discouraged.

Too much inexperience…..stay away!

I worked at inDinero full-time (less than a year)

Pros

that you even receive a paycheck for working here.

Cons

These are a few of the "highlights" that I experienced in my time at inDinero.

Like (not so) many, I was fooled into believing that this was a fast growing SaaS company where I would be able to learn a lot from “experienced” employees and help the company grow by bringing ideas and past experiences to the table. How wrong I was.

Management makes it clear that the number one priority of the company is cost. Not quality, compliance, client satisfaction, or employee satisfaction. You even have to buy your own equity if you actually want any. The atmosphere is unprofessional and almost juvenile. Basic integrity like client confidentiality does not exist as things like employees who may be terminated and client financial information is routinely discussed at company meetings, and in some cases, mocked.

Don’t let the “C” level and other various high level titles fool you here. This company literally has no one on staff with any real business experience. Most people are recent (within 2 years) college grads with no prior job experience. It is scary. Basic elementary business problems are often fumbled or dealt with unprofessionally. This is causing an abundance of clients to be upset, quit, and/or waste time and money.

Management does not understand their own business. The company isn't actually “SaaS”. It is nothing more than an accounting/bookkeeping service that happens to have janky software, which the majority of the clients hate because of how limited, antiquated, slow and little actual value it provides. No impactful product features are ever released. Its not scale-able at all so to consider inDinero to be “SaaS” in the same way that a Salesforce.com, SAP or Oracle is, would be a gross misstatement. The product is the accounting services provided. To acquire clients, the company offers several months of free service, which would be fine if the company was actually SaaS based, but since they are not, the teams do months of manual labor on the back end in hopes that the clients will convert over to paying clients. Many do not because they are lost in the on boarding process due to how long it takes inDinero to reach out to clients once they have "sold" them and are charging their bank accounts. A direct result of lack of resources which management refuses to staff appropriately. Maybe they just don't understand what they need.

In recent months, client attrition is hitting all-time highs due to very high levels of employee attrition. The lack of resources creates large gaps in daily service which (shockingly) clients don’t appreciate. Clients are often upset because they feel they are being serviced by less than knowledgeable and unqualified people (which they are) and managements plan is always to just hire interns or more cheap unqualified people in hopes that they will know more than the last person. There is no plan in place to combat this issue and management appears to be indifferent to all the client complaints. The company lacks the ability to attract even marginal employee candidates due to the low wages, lack of perks/benefits, and undesirable management team. The company has also developed a not so good reputation, considering there is more than one recruiting agency who refuses to work with them any longer. One candidate sent from a recruiter only lasted one week before realizing what a mess the place was.

Basic business processes, organization and quality controls are not in place here. Be prepared to go through multiple old spreadsheets, Google docs, and old systems to look up very simple information. While I was there, I was repeatedly told that they are lacking the basics due to inDinero being an "early stage" start up. That would make sense if the company wasn't founded in 2009, almost 6 years ago. What have you been doing all this time??!?!?? Sorry, but basic things should be in place by now if you have even the slightest clue as to what you are doing. Even if you don’t, you figure you would have learned this info by now. 6 years!

Be prepared to deal with constant angry emails from clients who have been ignored, had errors in tax filings, services or billings, and are ready to quit or in some cases, sue. The overall lack of growth in clients and revenue are direct results of the poor service. Management keeps their distance from daily operations and only feels the need to get involved once its too late, which angers said clients.

In closing, if you are a potential candidate for a position here, or even a potential investor, think twice….or even 3 times if you have to. Do your due diligence. This is not a place you want to be associated with. There are so many other issues at this place that I haven’t even touched on. (Although some of the other reviewers have done a good job pointing them out).

You don't understand your own business. Things will not get better if you do not make changes. There is a reason why you are losing employees and clients at such an alarming rate, and cannot make new hires. Be involved in the day to day operations so you have an idea as to what is going on with clients and employees, and can advise on better processes and controls. Get in front of problems before employees and clients quit. Roll up your sleeves and don't be afraid to get a little dirty and do some work.

a disorganized disaster

I have been working at inDinero full-time (less than a year)

Pros

free lunch on Mondays, beer on site, nice ping pong table, nice location in the city, nice people, dog friendly

Cons

where to start? The company is run by a couple of kids who don't have any experience. This shows. For some reason there is a refusal to hire much needed employees, many of which are simply replacements for the people who were either mysteriously let go or simply quit without notice because they could no longer deal with the daily incompetence.

Management lacks an understanding of their own business.

The company has a good widget but management has no idea how to position it or effectively sell it. So many clients churn due to poor service or because sales over promises on what the company can deliver. Being threatened with lawsuits by clients is a regular occurrence on the tax side as the company does not appear to be in compliance with IRS or state board of CA.

The lack of respect from the top creates high attrition, voluntary and involuntary, which then has a trickle down effect on the other employees as no replacements are brought in so all the work just gets back loaded onto the other employees. It is simply not a sustainable way to run a business.

Bringing in employees with experience is much needed here but they have a tough time getting them to stick around. They cannot seem to get any of them through the door as new employees anymore either.

Also, all new hires and any expansion seems to be happening in the Philippines instead of the US.

respect your employees more. Stop treating them like second class citizens and maybe they wont leave.

Proceed with caution

I have been working at inDinero (less than a year)

Pros

Though they are pretty much standard start-up items, they still apply here as pros. Keg in the conference room, ping pong table, catered lunches on Mondays. One half of the management team is a great guy and very personable. The actual product/service is a great idea. Overall, albeit being inexperienced and in most cases unqualified for the tasks they are being asked to perform, the team is very friendly and generally really great people.

Cons

*Very disorganized. No accountability as there is a belief that all tasks and workloads are interchangeable and can simply be moved to another employee as there is no ownership. This leads to way too many things falling through the cracks due to unqualified employees receiving minimal training in areas where they have no expertise
    *inexperienced and unqualified leadership, as this is a first job for most of them. This leads to numerous bad business decisions. Generally speaking, you want your departmental leaders to have some prior experience before running it at any company
    *Unethical practices on the tax side
    *leadership has proven to be very immature and routinely makes irrational, knee jerk emotion based business decisions which cost the company time and money in the long run
    *The company "strategy" tends to change by the week
    *Company is very disorganized and has no real plan in place to legitimately grow the company
    *inexplicably slow growth from a revenue, client and employee stance
    *pay is well below market rate with promises of bringing it up to par that never materialize
    *benefits are not on the same level with what other start ups offer. Insurance and a non matching 401K is all. No phone bill subsidy is provided but employees are asked to use their own personal phones for daily business needs. You are not provided with a desk phone either
    *You will not be granted any equity options (very rare for a start up) Instead you will have to put up your own cash to purchase restricted stock.
    *Extreme lack of professionalism (discussions of terminating employees in front of other current employees, management bad mouths former employees, advises managers to ignore all negative/non positive feedback from employee surveys because they are "haters", tells clients they are a CPA when they are not, interview practices that are very inappropriate - you can read about these in the interview section here)
    *employees time is not respected (frequent requests for employee time outside of work hours, including weekends)
    *Leadership openly tells employees they don't believe in work life balance
    *inability to hire and retain qualified experienced people (multiple experienced hires have only lasted approximately 6 months, one hire only lasted 4 days before quitting. Again, inability to attract and sell the company to people who do not have friends that already work there
    *there is a willful ignorance of what resources are needed to operate efficiently, as client services has 1 person servicing almost 500 clients, 1 US based CPA for the same number of clients tax returns
    *office space is unprofessional, run down and you regularly see cockroaches and rats in the office
    *obvious favoritism towards sales team while the bread and butter of the business (tax and client services) gets shown no love or appreciation
    *sales team often tells clients that the company has the capability to provide services that they do not, just to close the sale, which then infuriates clients later down the line and the company ends up eating the costs to outsource said services or, client churns
    *shady sales practices as the name of the game is to get clients to sign up as fast as possible without reviewing an engagement letter first to make sure clients understand what they are signing up for. This leads to a large number of clients churning before they are even on boarded
    *lack of a cohesive sales strategy
    *sales team constantly playing ping pong with management while others try to get actual work done
    *Overall lack of communication and office presence from any central leader; requests that employees email all questions/comments/concerns
    *no understanding of what "C" level titles entail and these are distributed to people who have no prior experience in the field
    *Leadership is disconnected from day to day operations yet still tries to micro manage and have final say

If this is your first job out of college you may not know any better and have no issues with what goes on here on a daily basis. If you have had another job prior to joining here, you will most likely leave in under a year once you experience the day to day lack of professionalism.

Bring people in who have done this before. It’s pretty clear you are not qualified for this. It takes more than reading a couple books on being a CEO to actually be one. Being able to raise a little bit of money does not equal good/effective leadership, which the company is desparately lacking.

AE Interview

Current Employee - Financial Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at inDinero full-time (less than a year)

Pros

In the bigger picture, the process is pretty straight forward. Definitely not an interview for someone just looking to collect a paycheck every month. It is expected that you will be prepared, personable and open to critique in order to succeed in the process. The length of the process really depends on you. If you know how to close a call you should know how to close an interview.

Cons

I had a pretty streamlined process.. Not really any complaints. They put in a pretty good size questionnaire to see how you think and if you care enough to fill it out in detail. If you can get through that and you are a good fit, it really isn't too difficult to get through the steps.

More hugs