inhouseIT Reviews

2.4
Glen Ackerman

Just started

I have been working at inhouseIT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

On my first day I was asked to write a review here. So here are my impressions after a very short time. Nice office, nice people. Many things to learn. Bathrooms are nice and it is a stand-alone office so no worries about the next door tenants coming in and leaving toxic waste in our bathroom.

Cons

This is going to sound strange but the way the toilet paper breaks so easily. I am not sure if it is just super cheap paper or of the dispenser needs attention. I get maybe 2 squares then it breaks. I find I must be very careful to get the right amount of paper to unroll to be useful. Free cowboy hats? What does that mean?

Advice to Management

After reading the comments here I can only ask that the promises be kept. This seems like a nice place, I hope it does not become what everyone else says it is. I read the reviews before I accepted the position, I just hope they are not true.

2. Well treated, but one of the few...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at inhouseIT

Pros

In my time at inhouseIT I was able to garner a great deal of technical and leadership experience. The projects were extremely varied and coming up with creative, unique solutions was required. I loved this part of it. I was exceedingly good at my job and was compensated with complete control of my time and schedule, which I appreciated. I did notice during my time there that I was one of the very few people who was treated like this. Many people were overworked and exhibited great fear of the upper management, which never made sense to me.

Cons

The fear of upper management never made sense to me, but it should have. As I look back I realize that even more perplexing than the fear of management was the ridiculously high turnover. People seemed to get fired every week for no reason. I was always assured that there was a good reason, but was never given one. I was let go during the Nuvotera lay-off and true to form they gave excuses for the layoff, but not very good ones. This biggest gripe though, as I look back, wasn't the odd mistrust between employees and management, but the fact that projects never went anywhere. Only the bear minimum ever got pushed out into production before the company was pivoting wildly into another direction. Priorities constantly shifted, nothing was ever finished, and really good initiatives were constantly scrapped just as they were picking up steam. The company's motto should have been "ROI, what's that?"

Advice to Management

Pick something, anything, and see it through.

3. I think they begged me to write this

I have been working at inhouseIT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The first paycheck cleared fine. No real issues parking. The a/c blows cold in the office

Cons

This must be the strangest and most uncomfortable place I have ever worked. Everyone is so hard to read and it is like they are all afraid of that kid sending them to the cornfield if they say or do the wrong thing.

Advice to Management

I am not sure how to fix this. Problem solving has been pretty easy for me, but this place is a mystery.

Systems Engineer

Former Employee - Field Engineer in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Field Engineer in Orange, CA

I worked at inhouseIT (More than 5 years)

Pros

You will grow and sharpen your skills at an amazing rate, even if you lied about them at the interview. I think everyone should enter the IT service industry just to see a broad range of problems from multiple companies and learn multiple solutions for each one. You can learn what works and what doesn't. You can also walk in to any environment and figure out what is wrong very quickly, because the customer is right there looking for results. Never hesitate to reset a password from a device, it's probably setup improperly anyway. Otherwise you wouldn't be there.

Cons

Management should have patented that board game "Jump to conclusions" - from Office space. The customer is not always right. I've even been accused of posting on Glass door, When I read each post I knew exactly who each individual was. How could I know who each individual was, but management could not? GET IN GET GOOD GET OUT! Have at least a month or two worth of salary in Etrade at all times because you never know when they will get fed up with you or Vise Versa. It also just gives you more leverage.

Advice to Management

Attrition is a bad business model. The grass is always greener when an employee is constantly being pounded down and beet upon. Maybe you should listen to the employee from time to time. This isn't Burger King, the customer is not always right. If you drop a penny around Red Hill and Main, someone from inhouseIT will be there to pick it up. Life isn't about picking up pennies, you should focus on customer satisfaction and a job well done, then lift your head up high and see the journey before you!

6. My mistake was accepting a position

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at inhouseIT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The fact they could get my base pay right was one thing. Too bad my bonus plan never turned into what they promised.

Cons

I could explain all the bad things but just read these reviews. They are accurate. But do you like meetings? Do you like glassdoor? Do you like meeting about glassdoor? If so, maybe inhouseIT is right for you. Instead of fixing problems they point fingers and blame everyone but themselves.

Advice to Management

Start with the truth. If you can manage to speak honestly thats where you all need to start. I wasted years of my life as you guys just continue to cycle through anyone and everyone. Shame on you all.

7. Trying to recuit me again? I must say nay no my damie.

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at inhouseIT (More than a year)

Pros

I suppose after all this time and accusations I should post an accurate review of inhouseIT and by extension, Nuvotera. My tenure was during a transitional time. Many processes had been ignored and the turnover had created a depressed environment. But that first 90 days were awesome. Taking and making easy upgrades and trying to learn the culture. Working for a technology organization to bring them up to speed since there is no profit in self-improvement. Learning about the variety of services and where the future was going appeared to be great. The jury is still out on that one.

Cons

Losing so many senior members cannot help. You saw the signs years ago but ignored it. Always thinking you can get a cheaper replacement. The false promises of joining the Project team. I lost count of the people that were transitioning to Projects only to have a 90 period. After 90 days it is now a probationary period. After another 90 days we need to review and observe. Do they work, however we will not pay you has been the consistent theme. If you decide to join understand you have one year. No more. The most important thing you can gain is the network. Make friends, go to happy hour, meet the people that have left if you can. You can make life-long friends with people. But you will be turned out by management. It is just a matter of time. After one year you will notice the change. How many people are still there? Ask around. How long? As you will see, not very long at all. There are exceptions, but few and far between.

Advice to Management

Build teamwork, reduce turnover and promote from within. Pay better. You are so far below market rate and you just do not care.

inhouseIT - a great place for an IT career

Current Employee - Satisfied Current Employee
    Current Employee - Satisfied Current Employee

I have been working at inhouseIT full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

inhouseIT is a managed IT services company that is made up of a great group of smart, passionate, successful professionals, top to bottom. The team of engineers are all top-notch IT pros with solid technical and interpersonal skills, who all have positive attitudes about the company, their careers, and customer service. The field guys are all very focused on providing their clients with excellent on-premise IT support while the remote engineers are always ready to jump in to help out when the field engineers are not on site with clients. The remote management/monitoring team does great work behind the scenes making sure systems are running and team members are informed. The non-engineering teams in sales/marketing, accounting, and customer service are equally strong and always upbeat and positive. The facility is modern and comfortable, and freeway-close near the 405, 55, and 73 toll road. The client base is comprised of several hundred successful OC-based small businesses, mostly <100 employees. The mix of clients always makes for a lot of activity and variety, which keeps everyone on their toes. Compensation is competitive, as are the benefits. The management team is highly entrepreneurial, provides solid leadership, a clear vision, and growth opportunities for motivated individuals. In addition, they've done a good job of establishing, publishing, and adhering to a set of core values that helps the whole organization function in alignment.

Cons

Providing managed IT services for small businesses is very competitive and profitability requires regular management scrutiny since many clients don't have deep pockets for IT spend, or sometimes don't see IT as strategic enough to warrant the cost of products/services they really need to effectively support their business. The good news: inhouseIT has a cloud services model (incloudIT) that solves this problem with affordable fixed price, enterprise-grade infrastructure. Cloud sales will drive greater profitability, which will fund the other initiatives that make inhouseIT even better.

Advice to Management

Stay positive. Don't listen to the haters that endlessly troll your GlassDoor site. Continue to draw employee feedback out of all employees - their reality provides great perspective. Train sales to sell incloudIT.

9. Never a short day

Current Employee - Help Desk Engineer in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Help Desk Engineer in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at inhouseIT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

i get to learn many things and always have a day that is unlike the day before i get to meet new people and make things better and they need help most do not have any it staff and so i am the one guy that can get them help

Cons

not much help for management the other techs are helpful but sometimes i need someone important to talk to anyone back at inhouse inhouse management does not like to hear about problems only about what else i can sell and that makes me feel like a bad person but the only way that i can keep working is to sell thing needed or not

Advice to Management

make the client not mad at me for things you do when the bill is more then they say it is my fault and no support from management and i am made to feel like a frog but i get told i am not a frog but i still feel that way and things just get worse everyday why do you fire all the people all the time

Not very diverse

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at inhouseIT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The sales team knows how to sell thus we always have things to do. Many projects are scheduled and all we need are more people to help us.

Cons

Many men, very few ladies. While there is the data to suggest this is normal, it seems like there are quite a few opportunities for a strong technical woman to fill the role. There is one woman in a senior management role but that's about it. There are no African-Americans and the few ethnic employees seem to be treated like indentured servants. In my few months I have seen a non-stop flow of people out and new people in. This is not so bad as to be one star, but who knows, it may drop down there. No one seems happy and they all put up this strange happy face when the CEO asks how things are. I am afraid if I say anything I will get fired.

Advice to Management

Make life better for everyone, not just yourselves. Team building events, training and a team-first approach will go far in building the kind of teams you say you want. Adjust pay to market rate, I came in low with promises that now I am not sure will be kept.

Project Engineer

I worked at inhouseIT full-time

Pros

This is a tough one...I've made lasting friendships with coworkers that have either been fired or left on their own....that's about it.

Cons

The biggest downside is the constant fear of being fired at any moment. They should literally replace the front door with a revolving door. This is no environment for a human being to be subject to. The office vibe is depressing and the management is clueless and degrading. If anyone is looking to work here, first off, DON'T!!! If you ignored this advice, then at least take this: Take the Non-disclosure/Non-compete clause they'll force you to sign to a lawyer, because it'll contain some stipulations that are illegal in the State of California. Also, don't write your recommended (forced) Glassdoor review of the company until after 90 days of employment (or unemployment, depending on how much torture you can endure). Any company that forces their staff to write raving reviews should be looked at with the highest skepticism.

Advice to Management

Pre-2008 were the golden years. Everyone loved working there, the management was enjoyable, work/life balance was great, customers loved us, it was the perfect place to work. Post-2008 turned inhouseIT into a concentration camp and shows no sign of ever changing. You're losing good people and those good people are taking your good customers with them. You're a shell of your former self and you need to take a look at the big picture and figure out where you went wrong. Also, suggesting (forcing) your employees to write 5 star reviews on Glassdoor is despicable and undermines the nature and purpose of this site.

RSS Feed </> Embed