inlingua International

inlingua International Reviews

Updated May 13, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

good company to work for as a temp, or a sideline

Voice Talent (Current Employee)
    Princeton, NJ

ProsPeople are friendly, time is flexible

Consprojects hours are not stable depending on language demand

Very interesting

Office Administrator (Former Employee)
    Manati, PR

ProsYou are able to meet and greet different diversity and cultures

ConsMost of time at Inlingua I really enjoyed my job, did not find any cons

Advice to Senior ManagementMore marketing

inLingua Moscow

Moscow (Russia)

ProsWell, at least they pay you (even if it's late), and Moscow is an exciting, fun city

ConsWorking contract that is unfair towards teacher, not much help in acquiring visa, accommodation not as promised (dirty, far, falling apart), split schedule, disorganized, become nasty when you complain to them about the working conditions and threaten to alert your former employers (references)

Advice to Senior ManagementStart over. Please.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you have nothing else...but don't stay long

ProsGood fellow staff, for entry to teaching it works

Conspay so-so, not regular, dreadful management

A good place to work for travelers at heart

Berlin (Germany)

ProsDiverse teaching situations offer teachers interesting work days. There are many different schedules and clients available and management is very helpful when you teach in another country.

ConsYou don't get to meet other co-workers very often

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining for employees to share experiences and ideas would be helpful

Great students, good support, okay pay

Quito (Ecuador)

Pros- I taught in Quito, Ecuador, and met such great students. Most of mine were professionals and I would travel to their offices for lessons.
    - Good curriculum with the freedom to adapt it to the needs of your students.
    - My office had a great staff who were as supportive as they could be. Some went above and beyond to help staff get acclimated to a new country.
    - Trainings were either free or paid, I can't remember which, and we were given sufficient materials and could use the copier.
    - I was paid at a higher level than some beginning teachers due to my degree in education and my TEFL certificate (from Oxford for a 60-hour class.)

Cons- Getting paid only once a month! Really difficult!
    - You really had to push to get enough assignments and hours. Many teachers worked at other schools or did private lessons to supplement their income.
    - Some students cancelled their lessons all the time. Staff was generally helpful in these situations, though. And you still got paid if they did it within a certain time frame.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to make the payment process easier and more frequent for employees. Perhaps a webform where teachers can log hours and progress reports, and more online curriculum supplements for students and teachers.

Only work here if you cannot find anything else.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe only pro is that you can get some real life experience teaching.

ConsPay. Working conditions. Corporate culture. You name it.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay a living wage. Stop hiring anyone with a heartbeat that is a native speaker.

Ebbs and flows

Corporate Trainer (Former Employee)
    Bangkok (Thailand)

ProsDecent enough pay when the work was available. Good variety of companies to work at and places to go. The contracts were short enough that you wouldn't get bored at one location.

ConsThere were certainly some lean months. The short(ish) contracts were also a downside, when it rained it poured, but you had to be prepared to last out the times between contracts.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice to know what is on the horizon work-wise so you can be prepared.

Good people, a little hectic, quite innovative

Business Trainer (Current Employee)
    Toulouse (France)

ProsFlexible work, Good coworkers, Management will work with your skills.

ConsSalary, Not so great organisation/processes,

Advice to Senior ManagementYou could do with working on better internal communication.

inlingua Singapore: very good memories!

Teacher (Current Employee)
    Singapore (Singapore)

ProsThe School is very central and it has appropriate facilities: large classrooms that can comfortably accommodate up to 14 students (hardly ever happened to have that many though!) and smaller ones for private lessons. In the staff room, full-time teachers are given their own desk whereas part-time teachers share a spare table big enough for 4-5 people at a time. There are desktop computers available for lesson planning or just checking emails (!) and laptop computers that can be brought in the classroom for teaching. The staff is very friendly and the colleagues are superb. The school offers 13 different languages and teachers come from all over the world. It's a very international environment. Working hours are reasonable and the management tries to keep the workload well-balanced among teachers. Classes are generally in the morning and afternoon although some evenings are required to teach private students. The admin is also friendly and a lot was done to improve the systems. The management is very approachable and receptive to suggestions. There seem to be a good balance between the business aspect of the School and the Educational one. The School is actually run by educationalists and not just business people. Feedback is given on a regular basis and teachers tend to be encouraged to take part in projects to improve standards: updating material, training courses, etc... Training courses are available for teachers to join and regular peer-observations are organised. This is particularly useful in terms of professional development. Class observations from senior members of staff followed by feedback sessions are also conducted to ensure the quality of teaching. The methodology focuses on communication and Student Talking Time is always a priority. The students are generally very motivated as most of them are adults. They seem to be learning and have fun at the same time. The school also organises extra-curricular activities and teachers are welcome to take part. I have very good memories of my time at inlingua Singapore.

ConsThe contract for full-time teachers doesn't include accommodation or air-fares. This is the standard in Singapore though...

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Worked for inlingua International? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at inlingua International reviews and ratings. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by inlingua International employees.