innoPath

Updated Feb 19, 2014

innoPath President, CEO, and Director John Fazio

John Fazio

32 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Mixed: great opportunities to develop new concepts and products; unfortunate tendency to discard and repeat sometimes.

I worked at innoPath

ProsMobile device support is a line of business with excellent growth potential. That's what InnoPath does, and the company has enjoyed some success with it. There are a few major customers.

The CEO, John Fazio, is a great fan and booster, and is by nature InnoPath's best salesman.

The engineers and other staff are very good. When some layoffs were necessary at the beginning of this year, some excellent people were let go; however, it wouldn't have been easy to choose better, as there weren't really any slackers or marginal performers to be found.

Engineering has been reorganized into interdisciplinary vertical groups that are beginning to adopt some agile practices. This leads to easier collaboration than in the past, when QA, mobile, server, database, etc. were more separated.

ConsDue to a necessary transition in its business model, InnoPath is facing leaner budgets than in recent years, and has shrunk a bit. This is hard on the morale of those remaining, and is in contrast to many local technology companies that are growing this year. It may be a bit harder to compete for needed talent under these circumstances.

InnoPath does some innovative things (it's in the name, after all), but often seems to be a bit late getting started. The strategic role of marketing may not be emphasized enough (something that's true of many young tech companies, actually).

Advice to Senior ManagementInnoPath needs to be more agile, and therefore less "top-down" if it's going to achieve its full potential. Teams and individual contributors need to be allowed to make decisions without constantly checking with management--even if the decisions may not always be optimal. Otherwise, this will probably remain a small, if viable, company.

Past the prime..

Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at innoPath full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat retirement job, best benefits and no work. Got too bored, spouse lov'd while I worked here, always home on time and no late night or crazy work hours.

ConsNo upside, no direction and micro management. Full of employees who are John's cronies and report back everything. All good folks have left or are leaving.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being micro manager

Very bad. Do not consider it unless you are desperate.

I worked at innoPath full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMobile space which is hot.

Cons- Dwindling business
- Lack of product/ business direction
- Marketing sham when selling company prospects to new hire and fooling current employees.
- No leadership, managers are puppets in hands of CEO who is a micro-manager but has killed all the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoes it have any management?

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

worst management ever seen

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at innoPath

Prosnot much to say, compensation, benefit are industry average.

ConsI'm very sure Glassdoor gets attention from Innopath's HR, once there is a negative (1.0, 2.0) review comes out, there will be a very positive (4.0, 5.0) to offset it. They are working so hard on it.

- high management has no vision
- Turn a tech startup as a family business
- lack of tech leadership

Advice to Senior Managementleave, give the company a chance

OK, now back to reality!

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at innoPath

ProsDISCLAIMER: I am not a disgruntled former employee that was laid off or fired. I left on my own so treat this review for what it's worth. I'll provide as much of an unbiased review as possible by addressing a few of the comments posted here.

Pay is above average. This is based on coversations with colleagues in the industry, so take that for what its worth!
Benefits are good. I've never had any problems with any medical, dental or vision plans at all.
Building an all related facilities are superb and maintained well.
Lunch provided on Tuesday/Thursday and bagels and donuts on Friday.

All of the reviews posted here have mentioned these as pros so there should be no debating. This is where it ends though!

ConsInstead of just stating why I think there are some things wrong with this place, I'll debate the comments posted by previous posters.

"If you’re the type of person that needs hand holding, mentoring, structured training, daily direction then you may not fit well. However, if you are the type of person that understands the industry, can think and act independently within reasonable boundaries regarding solutions to issues that typically arise in a startup then you will do well."
"It could be intimidating if one just wants to be told what to do"
"It could be challenging for someone who is slow pace, wanting a stable with less to no change environment"
"If you are just content to be cog in the wheels of progression, you probably won't fit in at innoPath."

This is misleading and makes no sense at all. What really happens here is that you are taught not to act on your own or think outside of the box. Why? Because the only thing that matters here is what one person thinks or says. The rest of management follows these orders and passes it on down through the ranks. If whatever you think or do is not in line with this, you will soon find out that in order to be successful here you only need to do what one person wants. You WILL be told exactly what to do and think and this mentality is why this company has been too slow to react to industry trends and competition. Because it's not about what's the right thing to do. It's about what one person wants and not making your management look bad in the process. If you are working on an RFP response, one person's input is necessary. If you want to work on a bug, one person's input is necessary. If you want to make a change to the product to add a new feature, one person's input is necessary. If you want to send an email, one person's input is necessary. If you want to change the font size on the website, one person's input is necessary. This is not empowering your employees. It is failure!

"Not for everyone, series B companies take a certain personality"
"if you aren't used to a start up it can be an eye-opener"
"If you aren't comfortable with a "start-up" milieu, then innoPath would be too intense for you."

First of all, stop calling this place a start-up! This company has been around for 10 years! Then telling everyone in the company that you've now shifted and are a "Series B" company does not mean you are redefining the landscape of the mobile industry. It means you have failed to produce for your shareholders by not providing an exit! What really is happening is that there has been no upward trend in revenue, clientele, or product features so the company is not viewed as a valuable player in the industry. If you are thinking about joining this company ask your interviewer how many new customers have signed up over the past 12 months, how many are continuing to resign, and what new products or features are being developed to differentiate innoPath from other competitors in the market. The answers to these questions alone will provide you with a better understanding of what position this company is in today.

Do some research on this company. Go to our website and take a look around. Try to figure out what we do if you can. This is a great example of who this company is. There is no clear message. Everything is cluttered. There are vague statements backed up with no facts, customer success stories, or noteworthy press releases. Heck, take a look at the executive bio's on the site. Oh, wait. No bio's because guess what? There aren't any bio's listed because not a single one has ever been part of a successful IPO, buyout or merger! If this truly were a start-up this should be key. There is no hiding that the executive team is extremely inexperienced with leading, empowering, and building relationships. Again, if you are thinking about joining this company ask your interviewer these questions. Ask the executive team what types of success they have had with leading a start-up and taking it to successful IPO or buyout. You will probably be able to hear birds chirping before you get a response!

Ask your interviewer or the executive team why so many have voluntarily left this company. Sure it's difficult to keep top talent. But over the past 12 months there has been a lot of key people that have left. Name all of the "President Award" winners from the last kickoff. Now count how many of them are still here. I can't count a single one!

The company wide initiative to post positive comments on Glassdoor is a good example of why this company is failing and will continue to fail. If people have had a good experience here then great. You shouldn't back people into a corner and put them in a difficult situation. This site is for people to post reviews anonymously and do so freely. If you think the comments posted here are over the top then focus on what is being said and fix the root of the problem. The solution is to not come on here and post a bunch of 5+ comments to bump the rating up. It should be to talk to employees and see what can be fixed. This mentality and train of thought rears it's ugly head every time a problem or issue comes up. innoPath's solution is to cover things up. Never to address things. And that is why this place will continue to be mediocre.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micromanaging every little thing. Empower your employees and let them do their jobs. Your focus should be to build the pipeline, market the company, and lead. Challenge yourself and the other executives and stand up for yourself. You will be rewarded with not only respect but a loyal following.

keep growing with lots of opportunities.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at innoPath

ProsThis is a company which encourage Creative and innovation.
A lot of opportunities is given from management and management help you keep growing.
The mobile OTA management is one great business.
With stable money making way in one side while keeping the innovation in another side.

ConsThe link between marketing feedback and backend research could be better.
Still under the way to find the balance between innovation and money making

My work experience at innoPath is very satisfying and appreciated.

I have been working at innoPath

ProsA great working environment for the employees. The employees truly care for one another here. Many opportunities available to contribute.

ConsFast-paced and changing business. Expected to work hard and outside the normal business hours/workdays. Must be flexible to work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to improve communication. Managers should be provided the necessary training to be effective managers.

A daily opportunity to be personally and professionally challenged to be the best that I can be.

I have been working at innoPath

ProsProfessional growth is encouraged.
Interaction with Exec Staff is frequent and positive.
Ambiance/building/location are the best I have ever experienced. It's like working in a beautiful Italian Villa. Meals are frequently provided with alfresco dining on a patio with a huge fountain.
Pet Friendly, there are even pets on the website.

ConsIf you are just content to be cog in the wheels of progression, you probably won't fit in at innoPath.
If you are not deadline driven, the innoPath environment can be stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue frequent communications to employees - these are so very important.
Continue to support the importance of creating clear processes to ensure: obsessively impassioned support of customers, and enthusiastic personnel.

A place where you can make a difference

I worked at innoPath

ProsGreat location and good commute, new building is very nice, free food, technology cutting edge, people are good people and intelligent and friendly

ConsNo flex time, busy, lots of meetings, can be stressful, sometimes chaotic, if you aren't used to a start up it can be an eye-opener

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees like the company meetings and events so we can have visibility into the direction of the company

An incredible learning experiance

I have been working at innoPath

Pros- Very driven company
 - Strong focus to suceed at all levels
 - Great benefits
 - If you are a strong person, you will do very well
 - Fast moving, responding to industry changes quickly
 - Executive team is tough but fair
 - Great teamwork, everyone gets involved
 - Great location and a easy commute

Cons- Not for everyone, series B companies take a certain personality
 - Not a 9-5 job
 - Must be able to change and be comfortable in a fast paced environment
 - Lean organization, you will wear lots of hats
 - Executive team is very driven
 - Company communication is tough sometimes because of the fast pace.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the focus on the winning path!! The information flow has been much better and the teams are feeling more of a part of the company vision.

Worked for innoPath? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at innoPath reviews and ratings in Sunnyvale, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for innoPath CEO John Fazio. All 32 reviews posted anonymously by innoPath employees.