iolo technologies Reviews

Rich Geruson

1. General Manager and VP of Sales

Current Employee - GM and Vice President of Sales in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - GM and Vice President of Sales in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at iolo technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is highly profitable, with a highly esteemed product suite, and a large global customer base. This is a fun, casual, team-oriented work environment. The entire management team is passionately committed to maintaining the highest possible employee morale, ensuring a good work-life balance, competitive salaries and compensation packages, and a commitment to innovating new technologies while preserving the high profitability and financial stability of this company. This is a GREAT place to work and we want you to stay if you work here, or join us in one of open positions if you do not!

Cons

The company did have to engage in 2 RIF's post-acquisition to maximize the profitability for short-term objectives, but those days are long gone! We are in hiring, hiring, hiring mode. The good news about this "con" is that it made us highly profitable and very financially stable. Now, we can hire the right people to help us innovate our new solutions that will be marketed to our loyal and faithful global customer base. The "con's" of iolo are in the rear-view mirror!

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employees! Which we do....and that's why we're getting better and better and maintaining a fun, dynamic work environment. Come and see!

Iceberg ahead!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at iolo technologies (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good balance of personal/work cultures. Free snacks in fridge.

Cons

It's about as close to working in the medical field, our offices are bland and all white. Looks like kaiser across the street. Never know when management is telling the truth. Too many lay offs. Too many excuses. A lot of people don't actually work and get paid the big bucks for talking and causing trouble. This feels like the titanic, don't know when we're going to sink!

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and stop with the lies.

Highly learning environment

I have been working at iolo technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast pace. Experienced co worker.

Cons

Pay less money than market

5. Good place and nice co-workers

I worked at iolo technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefit, nice co-worker, flexible work hours, good location, not too much overtime required, good learning opportunity, free snack bar

Cons

Most decisions need to be authorized by head corp. No in-time decision can be made since all the decisions need to be discussed and authorized. Efficiency only matters when upper-level think it is important.

Advice to Management

Need to have more power to make their own decisions or try to improve the communications between company and head corp.

Was a great place

I worked at iolo technologies (More than 5 years)

Pros

This was an excellent place to work. Working long hard hours, but you still felt like family. Not a place the I dreaded coming to every day. Fun company gatherings.

Cons

The company was sold and major lay offs happened as with many acquisitions. But employees were lied to. Restructuring happened on the working level where it should have happened more so on an executive level.

Iolo was the best job I've had so far.

Former Employee - Title Would Reveal My Identity in Eagle Rock, CA
    Former Employee - Title Would Reveal My Identity in Eagle Rock, CA

I worked at iolo technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best reason to work at iolo was the accessibility of upper management. If an issue needed to be raised, there was someone to listen and advise on a course of action.

Cons

The biggest challenge to working at iolo is that they were acquired by another company. I am not in a position to comment about the new owners because they laid off two dozen people, including me.

Advice to Management

Any advice I might have for the new management would likely be disregarded due to my status as a pre-takeover employee.

This will probably get scrapped, too, so read it as fast as you can

Current Employee - Seat Filler
    Current Employee - Seat Filler

I have been working at iolo technologies

Pros

Fairly casual environment, in a good way. You will make good friends here. If you’re lucky and end up in the right department with the right manager, you’ll do good work with your new friends. And when the company relocates to a new office space mid-August, you’ll have good food and hopefully better parking options to top it off. Benefits are good, and you won’t necessarily do crazy overtime here. It happens on occasion, but not often enough to constitute worry. It’s a good place to get experience, but not necessarily if you have ambition and are looking for a place to move up on the ladder.

Cons

I was planning to upload this review post-departure, but in light of the fact that a truthful (and fairly negative) review was removed, I felt compelled to respond at length and edit my initial draft. It's entirely possible the reason for removal was due to the specificity of executive roles called out for their "contributions", but it also wouldn't be surprising if some form of interference on the part of the same executives was involved. Individuals, I will add, who have felt it necessary these past few months to uselessly and unsuccessfully hunt down individuals responsible for writing the unpleasant reviews on Glassdoor. Instead of using the Add Employer Response feature below each individual review as a means to respond, a handful of executives have resorted to intimidation and self-preservational tactics in lieu of directly addressing the concerns mentioned online (and even by employees in person). What it equates to is the messengers being shut down and fed some version of, “Shut up, stop causing problems, and do your work. We don’t pay you to ask questions or think." And this is merely one example that exemplifies the kind of environment you will likely be subjected to if you decide to “join the family.” The negative reviews began mainly after acquisition around November 2013, and considering how much they have escalated in content and tone, it should be clear that all is not well. I’m making a point of this because the earlier (positive) reviews were strong lobbying tools for recruiting high-level talent, and they were accurate during this pre-acquisition time frame. On the other hand, newer ones reflect the ongoing churn in an organization that's struggling to stay relevant and profitable, and will hopefully help others avoid making the colossal mistake of coming aboard now. In this company, there exist good, capable people and good…not-so-capable people. Like every other workplace in existence. Many of us have found good friends during our tenure here, and if that’s what you’re looking for, great. But honestly, there are better ways to socialize that don’t involve questioning your sanity or getting thrown under the bus by brown-nosing peers or self-interested managers on a regular basis. More specifically, there are people who mean well and have both the skills and influence to execute and accomplish damn near anything they put their minds to. And with nothing more than an idea and their favorite search engine of choice. However, within this group of people who mean well are those who, on innumerable levels, fail to execute and accomplish only the destruction of products, teams, customer loyalty, and ultimately, companies. Unfortunately, the majority of these people are in management positions. Talented people across the board who weren’t cut in the first round of “redundancy” layoffs late last year can’t run fast enough. Many are frustrated and feel unable to work at their full potential, mainly because management in some departments is regularly MIA (this has improved), and have no clue of what their subordinates can do (this has not improved) or what their departments should do (unlikely to ever improve in some cases). Companies looking to poach qualified talent recognize the worth and contributions many within this increasingly smaller group have made, and have only to make industry-standard offers to get a response. Why? No reviews or raises in years. Being paid sub-market value. Constant exposure to signs of workplace instability. Reasons enough for those affected to jump ship a.s.a.p. in the hopes of locating a place that appreciates and respects their abilities. Coupled with an appropriate financial match up, naturally. There has been talk of change, but nothing concrete has manifested from the whispers and suggestions that sunshine and rainbows are coming soon. Many wonder if it’s a ploy to convince them to stay long enough and get the technology to a certain point before getting canned anyway. Some also believe the company is in survival vs. growth mode, and the reason change isn’t already here is because the easiest, quickest way to gather income is to focus on hitting numbers, and not on how we can better serve customers and improve our software. This couldn’t be more accurate. Let's be clear that paying the bills isn't a bad thing. It’s simply that the overwhelming focus on the now seems to be at the detriment of the company’s future. I liken the situation to the old "unable to walk and chew gum at the same time" scenario. With the limited resources currently available, this makes sense. But we’re holding our breath underwater with no relief in sight. It’s been a long 9+ months since November, and this impending birth of self-proclaimed success based on unfounded beliefs and promises of better days is long overdue. If the past and current goings-on are any indication, the only future we have to look forward to will be DOA. Granted, many of us posting here are not in the confidences of our esteemed executive board, so we're unable to provide a complete picture of the situation. However, being in the trenches along with others who also struggle with the same lack of purpose, pride, success, and appreciation, has given us all a much clearer sense of this company’s actual state, more so than what some KPIs and a creatively-written press release can do.

Advice to Management

Drop the lip service. At this point, no one believes anything you say, considering our faith and good will are stomped on repeatedly. The majority of actions taken in the past have not lined up with the lies being spewed, and throwing an occasional pizza or food truck party doesn't make it all better. Ongoing pain, anger and fear have made the past hard to forget. There are many good people who want to believe there’s a future but just don’t see it. Talent is being forced out by the deep lack of accountability and profound disrespect shown to those who have tried to step up and got swatted down time and again for disrupting status quo. Study and fully understand what’s been going on, then handle it. If change for the better really is coming, I would advise taking action sooner instead of later. However, at this point, it might be too late so enjoy the ride while you can.

9. Under new management but still has lots of potential.

I have been working at iolo technologies full-time

Pros

There are still a number of individuals (new and old) that are entrepreneurial and visionary with lots of ideas and the ability to follow through.

Cons

Other ratings of this company indicate managerial problems of which there are undeniably some but a company that recently experienced upheaval such as iolo is basically broken down and needs to be built back up.

Advice to Management

It's a new era at the company and there is hope but iolo is in the "hand over pains and struggle" stage and its up to all members to prop the company back up. More important than ever is there a need to join the teams together and bring unity and purpose.

10. I have been working at iolo technologies, LLC

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Eagle Rock, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Eagle Rock, CA

I worked at iolo technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome management team , A very creative workplace creating software products that make people's lives even better by making their computers run faster and more reliably

Cons

parking is limited , bad coffee. boring work environment. No team building events.

Advice to Management

have team building event, and fun events

Do not work here.

Former Employee - Manager in Eagle Rock, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Eagle Rock, CA

I worked at iolo technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There's really nothing worth noting that is positive about this place. They lie about career opportunities, growth and company culture. They are becoming obsolete. Please steer away from this black hole

Cons

Upper management and middle management. They all do not have a clear position on what this company is doing. As a worker you don't have any sense on what's happening. Creativity is a word that they do not know. This company had a huge potential, but they lost it once they hired people who lack common sense.

RSS Feed </> Embed