ipsy

4.6

Marcelo Camberos

Incredibly Passionate Company with Amazing Growth

I have been working at ipsy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everyone who works here seems to have a passion for what they're doing and for being part of the team. It makes for a really great environment, which is pretty laid-back and casual all around. Everything ipsy does is done with the mission statement in mind, sticking to really great core values. There's a huge interest in promoting from within. Since the company is growing rapidly there are a lot of opportunities for that, but you need to work hard to get there. The leadership is also very open and communicative so there's a lot to learn from them. Team managers give a lot of great feedback and are open to ideas. There's definitely a big focus on innovation and providing the best experience possible for customers. We really listen to their feedback and try to implement changes based on that. Recognition is often given for employees who are doing a great job.

Cons

Being underpaid for the amount of hard work put in is definitely a huge con, especially for a profitable company located in the Bay Area. There are stock options and a 401(k), but ipsy doesn't currently offer any matching either. The company has a lot of great big ideas, however there are still many processes and programs that need more attention/development. These can sometimes get neglected in order to move on to the next big project.

Continue to be really considerate when hiring, growing quickly isn't worth hiring someone who isn't a good fit and make the salary more appealing to actually keep up with living wages in the area. It would be great to get a discount on flash sales or 2 free subscriptions as a perk instead of 1 since I know a few employees actually pay for a second subscription to send to friends, siblings, or parents.

Well managed company with a bright future

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at ipsy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working at a small self-sufficient fast growing company has a lot of benefits over working at a new startup with shaky financial ground. ipsy is a very well managed company with a bright future; management knows what they do and are open about the strategy with other employees. People here are very invested in the company, passionate about their work and willing to help each other. You may find yourself just starting another job, and finding a lot of friends. Our office in the downtown San Mateo is a very nice working place. Getting free cosmetics is another perk of working at ipsy.

Cons

There is a good work-life balance overall, but sometimes you will need to work overtime to meet deadlines.

Great, growing start up

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at ipsy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work/life balance in a start up that is completely sky rocketing. There are many real opportunities to make a big difference. Really good group of people as well.
    Technology wise we are doing some very interesting things as well, with machine learning and large data sets.
    Location is nice as well, right next to Caltrain.

Cons

I am a man, so I do not use the product myself.

Great Vibes!

Current Employee - IpsyCare in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - IpsyCare in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at ipsy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working at ipsy for the past 6 months has been amazing, to say the least! Within the time I've been here I've seen this company rapidly expand while still keeping true to it's core values and easy laid-back vibe. Many new opportunities have been popping up left and right- it's truly amazing to watch the success of ipsy.

-Every single employee is fiercely loyal and therefore the performances each day come from passion rather than just duty.

-Schedules are very flexible. This contributes to the laid-back vibe at the company.

-Management is beyond wonderful. They don't miss out on the little things and always give shout outs to employees who have excelled. Things like this really help to keep everyone motivated.

-Lunch on the company every week is also fabulous. Plus all the make-up goodies every couple of months!

Cons

Wish they extended more opportunities for growth from within the company.

Working at ipsy rocks.

I have been working at ipsy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Everyone is very down-to-earth and fun to work with. There are a lot of opportunities to connect during weekly lunch outings and quarterly company events, as well as day-to-day in the office, which has a relaxed atmosphere with lots of free drinks and snacks.

-We’re growing quickly, which means an exciting environment with rapid changes that keep you on your toes and moving forward.

-A highly engaged community that loves what we do. We make lots of people happy!

-An effective team with a performance-driven culture. Everyone here is great at what they do and always working hard.

-A very capable leadership team with strong backgrounds means a smart business model, executed well, and lots of learning opportunities.

-The location in San Mateo is right across from the train station in a friendly, low-key part of town with lots of good lunch spots.

-Occasional product giveaways for employees!

Cons

-The work-issued laptops aren’t great and cause a fair number of technical issues for people.

- As with a lot of start ups, many need to log time on nights, weekends, and sometimes holidays to keep up with the workload.

-Consider adding more PTO for first-year employees and issuing better hardware!

-Keep up the focus on hiring, so some teams aren’t so strapped for resources and overworking.

Highly ambitious company with strong sense of mission

I have been working at ipsy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Very high growth with potential for disruption in huge market intersection of YouTube and beauty industry.
    - Focused strategy leads to profitable company: ipsy is trying to get one thing right and is not wasting time or energy "trying out new verticals", "opening international" or other strategies typical of startups with lack of direction.
    - Everyone has stock options. The company does well even while growing and that means means less potential dilution which is rare in the bay area.
    - Fast growth translates into more opportunities for people in the company. If you show the right attitude, management will give you a shot at almost anything. I have done here things or projects that I had not even dream of.
    - Diverse and fun environment to work in, lots of people from many different countries.
    - Atmosphere is generally relaxed, most people seem to like each other.
    - Challenging work environment: lots of smart and passionate people derive in open and frontal discussions on many different issues. People will not be afraid of telling you if they dont agree with you.
    - It is a fact driven place: lots of testing, number crunching, statistical analysis and modeling required to make decisions. You are expected to know your numbers and to be thorough.
    - Great management team with relevant track record: technology, startups, YouTube and beatuy industry. Lots of Stanford people.
    - Nice offices.

Cons

- Lots of work: many employees are connected at night or during the weekends.
    - People from different teams feel very different; there might lack common criteria to hire new employees.
    - No HR means lack of structured on boarding processes, coaching and development; it still feels like a real startup.

- Keep focused. Hire someone for HR.

Fun Tech / Beauty Hybrid Startup that is Growing Like a Weed

I have been working at ipsy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Caveat: I have LOVED my time here. It's a fun, smart, ambitious group and the company is growing like a weed and pioneering the beauty space. Not sure if we are a tech firm or a beauty firm or both, but it's awesome. Here's some of the things that makes me love it:

There is a laid-back vibe, which comes from the top down. You can dress up or wear whatever you like and no one is going to judge you. And there's lots of joking around around here.

The leadership team in particular is very approachable and will have "real" conversations with you. They don't BS. And many of them have a ton of industry or startup experience. They know what they're doing (or are very good at coming up with it along the way), which is evidenced by how well the company is doing.

The business is doing very well, which is always a good thing and kinda rare our here in startup land.

If you love beauty and makeup, you get to live and breath it.

Our community is OBSESSED and gives us great feedback. And we listen and react.

I truly think we are working on some very innovative things in the beauty world and with marketing and social media.

Our benefits are pretty good, especially with regard to transportation reimbursement, and snacks and drinks, and (just recently) an awesome vacation policy that gets better and better the longer you are here.

They've given me a chance to do some things professionally that I've never done before. And because so many of us have SOs or kids, there is a lot of flexibility like working from home or flexible starts or ends to the day.

Cons

It can be a little chaotic at times since we are growing so fast and pioneering in this space. Things change at the last minute, often for the better, but you have to be willing to adapt or you might not be happy.

We were getting very crowded at the headquarters, too, but we just got more space so it's much better now.

Given that we have to ship bags around the same time every single month, and there's marketing related to it all, there are very real deadlines which can cause a bit of stress each month.

I've been at a couple other fast growing companies. It is tough to maintain a small company vibe while adding a ton of employees. That is going to be your biggest challenge! Don't become a huge corporation, please?

The Bay Area keeps getting more and more expensive. Maybe it's time for a big cost of living adjustment? Also, more cool benefits would always be nice. I mean, we don't need massages every day but more perks could be a nice surprise. Including eventually a matching for our 401K.

Finally, let's open a Europe office already :) I know many of us would be willing to help out.

Great start-up with potential limited by leadership team

I have been working at ipsy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Rapid growth in subscriber base recently, especially compared to when I started
    Brands seem to be very happy with the experience of working with ipsy as they return a lot
    Frequent giveaways of beauty products and free ipsy subscription (which is only good if you use beauty products tho)
    Potential in LA with new studio opening
    Partnerships with YouTube stylists makes ipsy very different from other subscription services like birchbox

Cons

Laid back culture ipsy tries to give off by "not having titles" and letting people wear sandals to work is in direct opposition to actual policies which are inflexible & old-fashionedl.

Employees are yelled at in front of the whole company in the middle of the day.

Leadership team has limited start-up experience, strong tendency to micromanage and lacks an openmind. VERY reactionary.

Strict vacation policy.. More time off given to employees who have been here longer so even if you have 10+ years of experience as an engineer be prepared for only a very limited amount of time off while an engineer who started with ipsy as his first job will be enjoying a full month or so

No HR team

Very small Markting Team whose main focus seems to be more project management than marketing strategy

Job postings put up for several months to a year, often never contacting any applicants at all

Questionable prioritization. Like the CEO contributes to how the ipsy Facebook page should be managed, though the website experience is dismal at best and limited support is given to dev team.

Encourage cross-functional teams. Empower decision-making. Update management strategies to keep up with the rest of the Bay area. Stop yelling at people in public. It sucks.