j2 Global Reviews

Reset
2.7
j2 Global Chief Executive Officer Hemi Zucker
Hemi Zucker

Pros
  • Great people working on the sales floor (in 7 reviews)

• Little things like BBQs, free bagels every Thursday and agent fun days twice a year go a long way (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Very top-down management not interested in engineering input, hard work not rewarded (in 3 reviews)

• The company is cheap, Equimpment is dated, and see how many hoops you have to go through to get a new mouse (in 3 reviews)

Successful company --- employees not very important

Former Employee - California in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - California in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at j2 Global

Pros

High growth, very successful, profitable, savvy competitor

Cons

No sentiment for employees, they are just means to succeed and may be terminated in a minute without much care for welfare of employees

Advice to Management

Increase regards and REAL care for employees

2. CS Specialist III

I have been working at j2 Global

Pros

they have good benefits. Free insurance for a single person and also dental. Paid holidays and can earn a good amount of vacation.

Cons

they don't give raises that often.

Great People and Place to Learn

I have been working at j2 Global

Pros

Good and smart people to work with

Cons

Does not pay market value

5. Account Manager

I worked at j2 Global full-time

Pros

Offered a guarantee for the first 3 months of employment, which is typical in my previous roles and in this role it gave me a false impression that I can easily earn above the guarantee. It was impossible to do in this role.

Cons

- Building is in the most congested area of Hollywood, you had to walk through so many crazies to get to and from the office. Traffic was always a nightmare when then had premiers and especially when it's Oscar week. - They expect you to clock in and clock out, my role was non-exempt and the company docked your pay when you weren't able to "clock a full 40 hour week". None of that was explained and I only found out about it after looking at my paycheck closely on day. - Their commissions plain has a "clawback" component where they deduct commissions when customers cancelled even if you inherited the account. Given they were mainly an M&A company and increase their customers' list because they buy them, there were a lot of customers that cancels when a new company takes over.

Advice to Management

Stop penny pinching your staff!

The CEO, Hemi Zucker, needs to be fired

Current Employee - Anonymous in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at j2 Global full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Office location is interesting (heart of Hollywood), easy work, and most of the people are nice. Bagels three times a week and fruit twice a week. Some other pros are.. - $6 movie tickets - Company sponsored events maybe one a quarter - Parking is provided for or $90 a month metro reimbursement - Nice and friendly co-workers

Cons

Where do I start. The CEO, Hemi, is a joke. He only cares about himself and the money he's putting into his own pocket as a result of hard working employees. J2 is terrible to its employees. Let me list a few off for you... - $500 max 401k matching per year - No annual inflation, cost of living, salary raises - Quarterly bonuses are unpredictable and not based on performance. Capped at 5% for the year unless manager takes from other employees - No gym reimbursement - Health insurance, dental, and vision is expensive to cover family - Disability, life, and other forms of insurance needs to be bought separately via Aflac - No company perks whatsoever - The company is taking away work station cubes and replacing with small desks (No place to rest arms, legs hit separating wall, monitor too close to face, can hear everything from everyone). It is a true sweatshop. - Compensation is uncompetitive, or very bottom of industry range - No communication whatsoever from CEO, or upper management, on the state of the company. We weren't even told when the company changed its name from J2 Global to J2 Cloud Services. - Employees are treated badly when they decide to leave (are told they cannot communicate to anyone about their departure) - Going away parties are frowned upon - The building is run down. The carpet is stained, the workstations falling apart, bathrooms are dirty, and the temperature is always off - Substandard equipment - PCs, laptops, phones, etc. No work mobile phones or reimbursement when working from home, no work credit cards, no nothing - The company rarely invests in training, education, or conferences - Employees are not allowed to leave early the day before holidays, including Christmas, Thanksgiving, and New Year's. - Employees are expendable - Corporate culture and morale is the worst I've ever seen. - All employees are required to clock in and out, even exempt employees

Advice to Management

Top talent at the company is always leaving. Turnover will continue to increase as long as the company continues to devalue employees. Hemi, the CEO, really needs to go.

7. Poor benefits

I worked at j2 Global full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great location. Right on the Delaware river in Tinicum Township.

Cons

Very poor work organization. Chaos. Poor benefits.

8. great place to work

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hollywood, CA

I worked at j2 Global full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pros.to.this job are.simple its a great place to work good people great pay and room for growth. I loved it

Cons

There is only one con which was my.commute i traveled four hours a day what a drag it were not.for.that i would.have stayed

Advice to Management

Advice.to.managaement keep.up the goood work

Customer Service

I worked at j2 Global

Pros

Co Workers provide great team work!

Cons

Lack of monetary motivation from Management.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees!

Sr Engineer

I worked at j2 Global full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company is growing and branching into new business areas, so in principal that should provide greater career opportunities. Coworkers can be a mixed bag like anywhere, but I had the good fortune to work with like-minded quality engineers -- the problem was keeping them.

Cons

Compensation was not good both in terms of salary and benefits. Best people continued to leave. 401k plan matching was $500, and bonus distribution system was lopsided reward system with no oversight. Good potential hires were lost on many occasions because the company could not come to terms on salary.

Advice to Management

Investing in growth is good for the company's investors, but try investing more in employee retention -- reduce churn and build loyalty along with knowledge base -- ultimately that will contribute to the bottom line in a positive was as well.

11. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Domestic Marketing in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Domestic Marketing in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at j2 Global full-time

Pros

Awesome team and great management in our group. It really feels like they care. As an added bonus, the company provides fruits twice a week and bagels three times a week, if you time it properly to get some.

Cons

Some other departments aren't as fortunate but I think overall, the company is headed in the right direction. It seems employees from the past were more dismayed than current ones.

Advice to Management

Working from home once or twice a week would be a great way to show people the company cares about them. Especially given the horrible commute for just about everyone.

RSS Feed </> Embed