j2 Global

Updated January 24, 2015
2.8

j2 Global Chief Executive Officer Hemi Zucker
Hemi Zucker

Pros
  • There are some really great people, work/life balance, fair compensation, financially strong global organization (in 7 reviews)

• Little things like BBQs, free bagels every Thursday and agent fun days twice a year go a long way (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • commission structure changes when sales reps make more money than they've budgeted for (in 4 reviews)

• Senior management exemplifies the term misogyny (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

9+ years with j2 Global and still going strong.

Current Employee - Corporate Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at j2 Global full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

J2 actually reached out to me on Monster.com in 2005 and it's been the best move I've ever made. My bosses have always been more like personal mentors than people to whom I just report (and in the sales arena that is a very rare commodity.) One of the best aspects of this company is that your welcomed into all departments. They want to hear your ideas, they want everyone to feel empowered to move this company forward as a collective unit, not one in which departments are competing amongst themselves. Personally I really like the fact that the CEO of our publicly traded company knows my first name and takes the time to talk with me whenever me run into each other. That kind of lead-by-example has a trickle down affect to everyone else and makes J2 more of a family versus a place you just come to do work everyday.

Cons

The standard stuff you have in any corporate environment but I can honestly there's been no real "con" I've ever had to deal with since I've been here.

Just keep the same philosophy in place we've always had; open communication, advancement for growth, a professional and very friendly work environment.

Fast paced, global company, interesting work. Acquisitions keep things exciting.

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at j2 Global full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good career opportunities for those who put their hand up for more responsibility, with options to move between different departments. Hemi the CEO is very personable and always takes the time out to say hello and ask about what we are doing.

Very interesting place to working, with many different offices and regions. j2 does a good job of making us all feel connected and part of the one company. There is always something exciting going on with one region or another.

Big mix of cloud services and all products seem to be growing strongly. My team gets exposure to new technologies and management does a good job of explaining how we are contributing to the overall success of the company. There are product days where we get free pizza and to learn about other services we are not directly working on.

Free fruit and bagels are nice especially when I miss breakfast. Nice staff deals in the monthly newsletter and each month it showcases a different department globally. It is nice to see the faces of employees in other countries and get an insight of their day to day.

Health benefits are great but more importantly we own IGN, Pcmag and Logicbuy, my three favourite sites!

Cons

The office location is right in the heart of Hollywood, which can be good as lunch time is never boring but traffic can be difficult when there is a movie premier at the theatre across the street.

Security can be tight but I can understand, as we run so many important services.

Keep sharing the good news stories of growth around the globe, its going to get difficult with all the expansions but I think its important for employees.

Inside Sales

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at j2 Global

Pros

Company functions , fun location, manager does not micro mange but knows how to coach his team. Good pay if you know how to sell.. Good people to work with.

Cons

Company needs to invest more in the systems as they tend to "break frequently" an update to the furniture and computers is badly needed.

Upper management could make them selves seen more. This would be a morale booster is the president or VP came to discuss the positives etc.. Improve the 401K match $100 is a joke.

Not a bad place to work

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative

I worked at j2 Global full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, Manger that genuinely cares about his Sales Reps.

Cons

Difficult to control Customer Cancels vs current sales. Not much in the way of advancement.

Continue to show your employees that you genuinely care about their contribution it makes a difference and is what kept me their an extra year. Continue to look for ways to offer your employees advancement opportunities.

Questionable HR practices

I worked at j2 Global full-time (less than a year)

Pros

When I was called into a meeting with the HR department, the HR Coordinator at the time berated and yelled at me. A simple, thank you and brief explanation would have sufficed but instead the meeting took over a half hour of her chastising me over something that was a complete misunderstanding and ultimately resolved. Still very surprising to have experienced something so cruel from the HR department.

Cons

As above, the experience of that is indicative of the kind of work culture you will experience here. Your team mates will be nice but beware of upper level supervisors and HR.

Your HR department and supervisors need to be more friendly.

Bait and Switch, low tech, non-innovative

Former Employee - IT Position in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - IT Position in Hollywood, CA

I worked at j2 Global full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some really nice people and a cool location (can be a nightmare to get to)

Cons

CEO is all about profits, could care less about his employees.Upper management and management have clique's and get bonus checks for keeping costs down while they won't even given employees a 1% bonus. Forget about asking for raises, forget about working from home and don't even try to circumvent the clock-in/clock-out you have to do when you leave the building (even if you are salaried). 401k is a joke, they trick you by telling you that they have grown opportunities, bonuses, training, etc but in reality none of these are really available once you are hired on. Good talent rarely sticks around and leaves within a year or less

Everything is not about cost savings. You have to build your people, show that you care and go above and beyond to retail great talent.

mediocre place to be

I have been working at j2 Global

Pros

casual dress code, bagels 3x a week,

Cons

low pay poor benefits, not exciting, old data systems

hire younger people

Awful place to work with stale vision

I worked at j2 Global full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Doesn't smell bad
    Did not beat me with a bat when I entered the building

Cons

I took a job here hoping for a place where I could grow my career and become a better, more rounded professional. What I found was people who do not care about there jobs, unmotivated employees, and micromanaging bosses that do not know how to lead a team. This place is a prison and I would not recommend it to my worst enemy. The free bagels Monday, Wednesday, Friday do not make up for the awful work environment j2 Global provides its employees.

The bottom line is if you get a call from someone at j2 Global tell them politely you are not interested and move along. Being unemployed is better than the way they treat you here.

Learn how to cultivate an exciting, innovative culture with people who actually love what they do not just people who are looking for a paycheck.

Inside Sales.... Will be a waste of your time.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at j2 Global full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful coworkers. Location, bagel, mon, wend and fri.

Cons

Not a good company when it comes to a career. If you looking for a stop until u find something better this is it. Employees are treated poorly. No matter how hard you work. It won't make a difference. Verbal abuse by sale manager, he screams at you on the sales floor in front of your co workers. They play favorites, if you aren't like. You suffer!! Calls are touted to certain people to help them achieve their goals and the rest fight for thr entire month. The Good reps leave, most seasoned people have left due to poor treatment. Those that stay, just want a job. HR will also play politics when it come to the employees. They choose who they like and that who they assist. I've seen things I've never seen in a workplace. Racial slurs by sale manager and NOTHING is ever done. They change your time card when you work overtime. It's a horrible place. As of today, I'll be giving my 2 weeks noting. Don't waste your time. My advise.

Happy employees make a happy company. Show more interest. New management in Sales is badly needed. HR should apply rules to all and not just selected people. We do have laws!!

Awful culture - dead-end job

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at j2 Global full-time (more than a year)

Pros

easy work - very little pressure - bagels three times a week

Cons

awful management - very low base with no yearly increases

implement changes - talk to you team - care about your job