j2 Global Reviews

75 reviews filtered by
2.6
j2 Global Chief Executive Officer Hemi Zucker
Hemi Zucker

Pros
  • There are some really great people, work/life balance, fair compensation, financially strong global organization (in 7 reviews)

• Little things like BBQs, free bagels every Thursday and agent fun days twice a year go a long way (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • commission structure changes when sales reps make more money than they've budgeted for (in 4 reviews)

• Senior management exemplifies the term misogyny (in 4 reviews)

Doesn't Look Out for their Own

Former Employee - Customer Support in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Support in Hollywood, CA

I worked at j2 Global full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Free HMO benefits, free "food," nice people. I made some of my best friends while working there. Stock options ere nice.

Cons

They treat night-shift employees horrible. They won't turn on the heat during the winter or the AC during the summer. No salary increase. I left there making 34K per year and I had been there close to 10 years! Management doesn't care about its employees and has its "favorites." You would have to be able to be either Caucasian or gay to get ahead in that company. Everyone else is a "minority" in the company.

Look out for your employees. Treat them with respect and train them to become better employees or future leaders.

No motivation

Current Employee - Engineering in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at j2 Global full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most people are great to work with

Cons

The company doesn't know how to motivate and appreciate their employees. Everyone is burn out because there's not enough resources to complete the projects.

Hire more people!

Got valuable experience but advancement is limited

I worked at j2 Global full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Immediate manager gave me the slack to run projects and I got valuable experience.
    Business growing very quickly and has impressive reputation.
    Attempts made to encourage employee spirit; holiday parties a few times a year (Thanksgiving, Winter), free bagels 3 times a week, vending machines with cheap sodas and snacks always stocked.

Cons

Not a significant corporate ladder to climb, limited room for advancement.
    Pays below median wage for comparable positions.
    Management very tight with expenses, limited bonuses.

A Big Waste of Time - That's EFax!!

Former Employee - Corporate Inside Sales Representative in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Inside Sales Representative in Hollywood, CA

I worked at j2 Global full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Just to be clear, j2 Global Communications is the developer/provider of eFax, electronic faxing, and also electronic voicebox services. Their NASAQ symbol is JCOM.

Pros: Free food every day, and good pay. You will never take your work home with you. Job is stress-free.

Cons

- Senior management of the sales department was a complete joke. The last long-term sales managers left a few years ago...kinda interesting to note that since they left, j2's stock price has steadily risen....then again, these people had no idea what they were doing.
    - No training program. "Perform or die", no matter what the economy is doing.
    - Passive-aggressive sales management team. You will never be evaluated or given suggestions for improvement. They will not try to right any wrongs...except by terminating you if you don't perform. But in my case, there was nothing I could have done. Their whole system was just too screwed up. Even the phone at my desk didn't work for the first two weeks after I was hired.
    - My workday was spent fielding calls from angry customers wanting to cancel, or who were calling to report unauthorized charges on their credit cards after they had already cancelled. I only spent about 2 hours a day doing sales (I was on the corporate sales team)
    - I was fired after 3 months for not meeting quota, but then again, there were not enough leads given to me to meet those quotas.
    - terrible problems after I was terminated, over j2 not wanting to pay unemployment funds, and countless notices to me in the mail saying i needed to appear in court and would have to probably re-pay the funds. This went on for over two years and even my former employer was swept into the mess.
    - I enrolled in health insurance plan, only to have it cancelled 30 days later after I was fired. Ridiculous. Tremendous inconvenience caused, having to switch doctors, pay for prescriptions out of my own pocket after policy cancelled (no way was I going to pay the $350 a month COBRA)
    - Bad hiring/firing practices. I don't think you needed some of us; there were plenty of leads for your senior people to work with so why did you even hire us?

Improve your hiring/firing practices, treat people with respect, quit treating people like crap and just do things right and just maybe things will start to change. I am sure J. Mueller (founder of efax) would be appalled at the shambles his company has devolved into. Then again, efax and most of the other products they offer are dying/dead technology. Hardly anyone faxes stuff anymore. Why fax when you can make PDFs and email them?

Gloomy company with miserable culture. Avoid at all costs.

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Hollywood, CA

I worked at j2 Global full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Open door policy where interaction with upper management is invited, giving employees exposure to high level conversations.

Employees are friendly except for: HR (which is absolutely terrible), Accounting, & the IT groups.

No other pros.

Cons

TERRIBLE COMPANY CULTRE. My advice: stay away from this company at all costs.
    I worked here for 2 and a half years and began hating it after about 6 months. It was my fault for not leaving sooner.

Employees are not valued and hard work is not appreciated/rewarded.

Very low pay with small to no pay increase.
    Very low bonuses, stock options only given to director-level employees and above.
    ALL promotions & ALL raises must be personally approved by the CEO who is extremely stingy and averse to rewarding hard work and good talent. Instead, management tries to save money by consistently underpaying employees.

HR: acts as the company bully and does everything except try to genuinely help the employees. They consistently oppose raises and demand justifications from managers on why they are giving their employees a raise or a bonus. HR often denies raises & bonuses or postpones them in order to save money in a particular fiscal year.

All employees are required to clock in using an electronic key card. In, out for lunch, back in after lunch, and back out again once you leave for the day. This system leaves you feeling like factory worker. It was eye-opening to see 45 year old Directors with a department of 10-20 employees dressed in business casual having to clock in at the machine on the wall like an assembly line worker.

All company chat and internet use is monitored and flagged on a regular basis and reported to upper management. Once, my manager took me aside and warned me that "big brother is watching" and that I should use my phone internet instead of checking news on the company computer.

Most employees here want to do the bare minimum to get by and very few of them are innovative and collaborative. They seem to hate their jobs but are too scared to leave.

In fact, innovation and new ideas are not welcomed by current management team. The CEO is very old fashioned and even opposed creating a company twitter and Facebook account.

Very few company events/catered meals. And when they do provide these, they always buy too little food so lines wrap around the building and people are left with scraps to eat while those in the front of the line load up with large portions. The company tries to save money at every turn. From the refurbished chairs it buys for its employees to the pay to the snacks it provides several times a week which run out by 9:20am.

The cubicles are set up in such a way that more senior employees sit behind you in a single file row so you manager is always able to monitor your computer screens at all times. Your back is always to your manager and they are constantly walking up and down the cubicle aisles (we called them cell blocks) when they leave to go to the rest room and it feels like they are patrolling and monitoring you. This, combined with the issues i mentioned above, leave you feeling like you're working in a prison environment.

The location of the office is terrible, right on Hollywood blvd in the center of all the tourism so you have to push pasts thousands of tourists each day to get to and from your car. The employee parking lot is across the street, a block away, and 6 floors under ground. It takes about 10 minutes just to get from your desk to your car.

The interior of the office is grey and old and the cubicle dividers are high, encouraging gloomy environment.

If you're a young ambitious person then definitely do not go anywhere near this company.
    If you care about meeting smart motivated people who will drive you to succeed then stay away from this company.

There is no hope for the current management team - my advice would be to resign & hire younger people to run the company who value employees and who have new ideas.

9+ years with j2 Global and still going strong.

Current Employee - Corporate Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at j2 Global full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

J2 actually reached out to me on Monster.com in 2005 and it's been the best move I've ever made. My bosses have always been more like personal mentors than people to whom I just report (and in the sales arena that is a very rare commodity.) One of the best aspects of this company is that your welcomed into all departments. They want to hear your ideas, they want everyone to feel empowered to move this company forward as a collective unit, not one in which departments are competing amongst themselves. Personally I really like the fact that the CEO of our publicly traded company knows my first name and takes the time to talk with me whenever me run into each other. That kind of lead-by-example has a trickle down affect to everyone else and makes J2 more of a family versus a place you just come to do work everyday.

Cons

The standard stuff you have in any corporate environment but I can honestly there's been no real "con" I've ever had to deal with since I've been here.

Just keep the same philosophy in place we've always had; open communication, advancement for growth, a professional and very friendly work environment.

Good company to work for to earn more experiances

Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at j2 Global full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very strong company with potential of becoming number 1 in the industry

Cons

Management needs some improvement specially new starters

Employees to be treated as an asset not a number

9. Inside Sales

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at j2 Global

Pros

Company functions , fun location, manager does not micro mange but knows how to coach his team. Good pay if you know how to sell.. Good people to work with.

Cons

Company needs to invest more in the systems as they tend to "break frequently" an update to the furniture and computers is badly needed.

Upper management could make them selves seen more. This would be a morale booster is the president or VP came to discuss the positives etc.. Improve the 401K match $100 is a joke.

10. Fast paced, global company, interesting work. Acquisitions keep things exciting.

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at j2 Global full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good career opportunities for those who put their hand up for more responsibility, with options to move between different departments. Hemi the CEO is very personable and always takes the time out to say hello and ask about what we are doing.

Very interesting place to working, with many different offices and regions. j2 does a good job of making us all feel connected and part of the one company. There is always something exciting going on with one region or another.

Big mix of cloud services and all products seem to be growing strongly. My team gets exposure to new technologies and management does a good job of explaining how we are contributing to the overall success of the company. There are product days where we get free pizza and to learn about other services we are not directly working on.

Free fruit and bagels are nice especially when I miss breakfast. Nice staff deals in the monthly newsletter and each month it showcases a different department globally. It is nice to see the faces of employees in other countries and get an insight of their day to day.

Health benefits are great but more importantly we own IGN, Pcmag and Logicbuy, my three favourite sites!

Cons

The office location is right in the heart of Hollywood, which can be good as lunch time is never boring but traffic can be difficult when there is a movie premier at the theatre across the street.

Security can be tight but I can understand, as we run so many important services.

Keep sharing the good news stories of growth around the globe, its going to get difficult with all the expansions but I think its important for employees.

11. Not a bad place to work

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative

I worked at j2 Global full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, Manger that genuinely cares about his Sales Reps.

Cons

Difficult to control Customer Cancels vs current sales. Not much in the way of advancement.

Continue to show your employees that you genuinely care about their contribution it makes a difference and is what kept me their an extra year. Continue to look for ways to offer your employees advancement opportunities.