j2 Global

Updated November 7, 2014
2.3

j2 Global Chief Executive Officer Hemi Zucker
Hemi Zucker

Pros
  • There are some really great people, work/life balance, fair compensation, financially strong global organization (in 7 reviews)

• Little things like BBQs, free bagels every Thursday and agent fun days twice a year go a long way (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • commission structure changes when sales reps make more money than they've budgeted for (in 4 reviews)

• Senior management exemplifies the term misogyny (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Strong and stable company, doesn't pay well.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hollywood, CA

I worked at j2 Global full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some good perks, lots of company events, good work atmosphere. Fun location right on Hollywood Blvd. Office is nice with decent sized cubicles.

Cons

This company will never pay you well. You have almost no chance of ever moving up. Most people seem to know this and don't put in any more effort than is needed to do their job. Seems like everyone is working here while looking for other employment.

For all the money this company makes, seems like people could be better compensated.

Inside Sales.... Will be a waste of your time.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at j2 Global full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful coworkers. Location, bagel, mon, wend and fri.

Cons

Not a good company when it comes to a career. If you looking for a stop until u find something better this is it. Employees are treated poorly. No matter how hard you work. It won't make a difference. Verbal abuse by sale manager, he screams at you on the sales floor in front of your co workers. They play favorites, if you aren't like. You suffer!! Calls are touted to certain people to help them achieve their goals and the rest fight for thr entire month. The Good reps leave, most seasoned people have left due to poor treatment. Those that stay, just want a job. HR will also play politics when it come to the employees. They choose who they like and that who they assist. I've seen things I've never seen in a workplace. Racial slurs by sale manager and NOTHING is ever done. They change your time card when you work overtime. It's a horrible place. As of today, I'll be giving my 2 weeks noting. Don't waste your time. My advise.

Happy employees make a happy company. Show more interest. New management in Sales is badly needed. HR should apply rules to all and not just selected people. We do have laws!!

Awful place to work with stale vision

I worked at j2 Global full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Doesn't smell bad
    Did not beat me with a bat when I entered the building

Cons

I took a job here hoping for a place where I could grow my career and become a better, more rounded professional. What I found was people who do not care about there jobs, unmotivated employees, and micromanaging bosses that do not know how to lead a team. This place is a prison and I would not recommend it to my worst enemy. The free bagels Monday, Wednesday, Friday do not make up for the awful work environment j2 Global provides its employees.

The bottom line is if you get a call from someone at j2 Global tell them politely you are not interested and move along. Being unemployed is better than the way they treat you here.

Learn how to cultivate an exciting, innovative culture with people who actually love what they do not just people who are looking for a paycheck.

Awful culture - dead-end job

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at j2 Global full-time (more than an year)

Pros

easy work - very little pressure - bagels three times a week

Cons

awful management - very low base with no yearly increases

implement changes - talk to you team - care about your job

It all trickles down from the CEO

I worked at j2 Global full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some of the people are nice

Cons

the CEO Hemi ucker does not even understand the concept of how to treat employees well and keep them happy. It does not even occur to him to benchmark other tech companies. Many tech companies send their employees home early the day before a holiday, he will actually work in the office those days and stay late to ensure no one leaves early. At the quarterly earning dinner he makes the attendees wait outside the restaurant until he arrives, not fun when it is hot out and you are standing in the sun, and he arrives 35 mins late. All benefits or lack there of come from him. The 401k matching is capped at $500/year and what is worse is they state it as 25% matching... with a disclaimer that it is matching up to $2k - a very sketchy way to state it, why even bother.

Get the CEO removed, increase employee moral and focus on organic growth, not just acquisitions ...so much potential.

J2 Global Communication REVIEW

Former Employee - Corporate Inside Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Inside Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at j2 Global full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free Employee Healthcare Benefits, entertaining location in Hollywood, large internal company structure.

Cons

They do not offer wage increases and commission is subject to taking back if customer cancels before I year.
    Commission it self is very little and remember you will never get a raise no matter how ell you preform.
    Refuses to supply sales people with business cards even if you offer to pay for them yourself, why?
    No opportunities for advancement and the build itself is very old and has few rest-rooms for the employees.

Look more closely at your employee's needs and make a better effort to become more involved with day to day operations.
    Star giving raises even based on a person's performance and attendance. You can be a perfect employee and you never get a wage increase, why?
    Also cost of services is way too high for consumers. Once someone looks around they always fine their paying to much and they cancel their accounts.
    Also customer service is lacking and needs to be looked at.

Great Place to Start

I have been working at j2 Global

Pros

Pay, Benefits, Environment, People, and Perks

Cons

Management, Opportunities, Lack of Creativity as far as workflow

Not for those who are looking for innovative or evolved environments

I worked at j2 Global full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cons

Haphazard decision making by management, poor communication, lack of resources, no training, bottlenecks, poor data management, lack of accountability, reactive not proactive, working on Hollywood Blvd is difficult and frustrating.

Focus on setting the foundation before you continue to build. Make sure you have enough and the right resources in place to guarantee success.

This company in no way values it's employees.

Former Employee - Management in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Management in Hollywood, CA

I worked at j2 Global full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice co workers and it is a pay check.

Cons

The CEO and VP of HR are cutthroat to employees. Even though the company has more many than they know what to do with and turns a huge profit, the continue to give zero raises and low to no bonuses. They also low ball on salary. Everyone that works there is constant looking for a new job.

Care about your employees and treat them with respect.

Mediocre

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at j2 Global full-time

Pros

the employees are nice, casual environment

Cons

very mediocre environment with everyone just maintaining the status quo, very poor benefits, low compensation and low raises, no growth opportunities, employees are under appreciated, location is right in the middle of tourist traffic, terrible data systems and processes, workforce is mainly older with a lack of young vibrant minds

combine sick days and vacation days into one category of Personal Time Off, reward your employees with more generous raises, invest in company infrastructure such as better reporting software, cater food for employees at least once a month, more company events, online expense forms,