j2 Global Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Fast paced, global company, interesting work. Acquisitions keep things exciting.

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at j2 Global full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good career opportunities for those who put their hand up for more responsibility, with options to move between different departments. Hemi the CEO is very personable and always takes the time out to say hello and ask about what we are doing. Very interesting place to working, with many different offices and regions. j2 does a good job of making us all feel connected and part of the one company. There is always something exciting going on with one region or another. Big mix of cloud services and all products seem to be growing strongly. My team gets exposure to new technologies and management does a good job of explaining how we are contributing to the overall success of the company. There are product days where we get free pizza and to learn about other services we are not directly working on. Free fruit and bagels are nice especially when I miss breakfast. Nice staff deals in the monthly newsletter and each month it showcases a different department globally. It is nice to see the faces of employees in other countries and get an insight of their day to day. Health benefits are great but more importantly we own IGN, Pcmag and Logicbuy, my three favourite sites!

Cons

The office location is right in the heart of Hollywood, which can be good as lunch time is never boring but traffic can be difficult when there is a movie premier at the theatre across the street. Security can be tight but I can understand, as we run so many important services.

Advice to Management

Keep sharing the good news stories of growth around the globe, its going to get difficult with all the expansions but I think its important for employees.

2. Not a bad place to work

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative

I worked at j2 Global full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, Manger that genuinely cares about his Sales Reps.

Cons

Difficult to control Customer Cancels vs current sales. Not much in the way of advancement.

Advice to Management

Continue to show your employees that you genuinely care about their contribution it makes a difference and is what kept me their an extra year. Continue to look for ways to offer your employees advancement opportunities.

Questionable HR practices

I worked at j2 Global full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When I was called into a meeting with the HR department, the HR Coordinator at the time berated and yelled at me. A simple, thank you and brief explanation would have sufficed but instead the meeting took over a half hour of her chastising me over something that was a complete misunderstanding and ultimately resolved. Still very surprising to have experienced something so cruel from the HR department.

Cons

As above, the experience of that is indicative of the kind of work culture you will experience here. Your team mates will be nice but beware of upper level supervisors and HR.

Advice to Management

Your HR department and supervisors need to be more friendly.

Bait and Switch, low tech, non-innovative

Former Employee - IT Position in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - IT Position in Hollywood, CA

I worked at j2 Global full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some really nice people and a cool location (can be a nightmare to get to)

Cons

CEO is all about profits, could care less about his employees.Upper management and management have clique's and get bonus checks for keeping costs down while they won't even given employees a 1% bonus. Forget about asking for raises, forget about working from home and don't even try to circumvent the clock-in/clock-out you have to do when you leave the building (even if you are salaried). 401k is a joke, they trick you by telling you that they have grown opportunities, bonuses, training, etc but in reality none of these are really available once you are hired on. Good talent rarely sticks around and leaves within a year or less

Advice to Management

Everything is not about cost savings. You have to build your people, show that you care and go above and beyond to retail great talent.

Inside Sales.... Will be a waste of your time.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Hollywood, CA

I have been working at j2 Global full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful coworkers. Location, bagel, mon, wend and fri.

Cons

Not a good company when it comes to a career. If you looking for a stop until u find something better this is it. Employees are treated poorly. No matter how hard you work. It won't make a difference. Verbal abuse by sale manager, he screams at you on the sales floor in front of your co workers. They play favorites, if you aren't like. You suffer!! Calls are touted to certain people to help them achieve their goals and the rest fight for thr entire month. The Good reps leave, most seasoned people have left due to poor treatment. Those that stay, just want a job. HR will also play politics when it come to the employees. They choose who they like and that who they assist. I've seen things I've never seen in a workplace. Racial slurs by sale manager and NOTHING is ever done. They change your time card when you work overtime. It's a horrible place. As of today, I'll be giving my 2 weeks noting. Don't waste your time. My advise.

Advice to Management

Happy employees make a happy company. Show more interest. New management in Sales is badly needed. HR should apply rules to all and not just selected people. We do have laws!!

Awful place to work with stale vision

I worked at j2 Global full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Doesn't smell bad Did not beat me with a bat when I entered the building

Cons

I took a job here hoping for a place where I could grow my career and become a better, more rounded professional. What I found was people who do not care about there jobs, unmotivated employees, and micromanaging bosses that do not know how to lead a team. This place is a prison and I would not recommend it to my worst enemy. The free bagels Monday, Wednesday, Friday do not make up for the awful work environment j2 Global provides its employees. The bottom line is if you get a call from someone at j2 Global tell them politely you are not interested and move along. Being unemployed is better than the way they treat you here.

Advice to Management

Learn how to cultivate an exciting, innovative culture with people who actually love what they do not just people who are looking for a paycheck.

Awful culture - dead-end job

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at j2 Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

easy work - very little pressure - bagels three times a week

Cons

awful management - very low base with no yearly increases

Advice to Management

implement changes - talk to you team - care about your job

Strong and stable company, doesn't pay well.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hollywood, CA

I worked at j2 Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some good perks, lots of company events, good work atmosphere. Fun location right on Hollywood Blvd. Office is nice with decent sized cubicles.

Cons

This company will never pay you well. You have almost no chance of ever moving up. Most people seem to know this and don't put in any more effort than is needed to do their job. Seems like everyone is working here while looking for other employment.

Advice to Management

For all the money this company makes, seems like people could be better compensated.

It all trickles down from the CEO

I worked at j2 Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the people are nice

Cons

the CEO Hemi ucker does not even understand the concept of how to treat employees well and keep them happy. It does not even occur to him to benchmark other tech companies. Many tech companies send their employees home early the day before a holiday, he will actually work in the office those days and stay late to ensure no one leaves early. At the quarterly earning dinner he makes the attendees wait outside the restaurant until he arrives, not fun when it is hot out and you are standing in the sun, and he arrives 35 mins late. All benefits or lack there of come from him. The 401k matching is capped at $500/year and what is worse is they state it as 25% matching... with a disclaimer that it is matching up to $2k - a very sketchy way to state it, why even bother.

Advice to Management

Get the CEO removed, increase employee moral and focus on organic growth, not just acquisitions ...so much potential.

J2 Global Communication REVIEW

Former Employee - Corporate Inside Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Inside Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at j2 Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Employee Healthcare Benefits, entertaining location in Hollywood, large internal company structure.

Cons

They do not offer wage increases and commission is subject to taking back if customer cancels before I year. Commission it self is very little and remember you will never get a raise no matter how ell you preform. Refuses to supply sales people with business cards even if you offer to pay for them yourself, why? No opportunities for advancement and the build itself is very old and has few rest-rooms for the employees.

Advice to Management

Look more closely at your employee's needs and make a better effort to become more involved with day to day operations. Star giving raises even based on a person's performance and attendance. You can be a perfect employee and you never get a wage increase, why? Also cost of services is way too high for consumers. Once someone looks around they always fine their paying to much and they cancel their accounts. Also customer service is lacking and needs to be looked at.

RSS Feed </> Embed