kCura Reviews

Updated August 21, 2014
Updated August 21, 2014

Andrew Sieja

Pros
  • Becoming more flexible with work-from-home policies (in 4 reviews)

• Lots of great people you work with whom you can call friends (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Company finally instituted work from home policy but still fairly restrictive (in 6 reviews)

• I have a great work-life balance, but for folks in other departments, it may not be that way (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Never Want to Leave

I worked at kCura as an intern

Pros

Great people who love the company and know the technology inside and out
    Opportunity to learn about a lot of different areas
    FANTASTIC intern program: management really cares about what we're learning and wants us to succeed
    Amazing managers who recognize the extra work you put in
    Fun "extracurriculars" like kOlympics, kFit Challenge, kWoW
    Great benefits like Divvy membership, Fooda twice a week, competitive pay, flexible work arrangements
    Strong values and a heart to give back to Chicago through kCura Gives

Cons

Can be difficult to explain all value-adds to upper management
    Not a lot of growth in some departments

Free lunch every day? :)

Phenomenal place to work with brilliant people, interesting work and a great culture.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at kCura full-time for more than a year

Pros

• Strong management team
    • I'm excited to come into work every day because the work is interesting
    • Friendly, smart people that you'll learn a lot from
    • Company growing quickly on pace to own the market. Incredible growth potential.
    • People have fun -- pong, foos, nba jam, happy hours, etc.
    • You'll make some great friends here
    • You'll get a big training budget
    • Great perks/benefits
    • Company is small enough for you to make a major impact
    • Company is committed to agile, ships quickly and values stakeholder feedback
    • The CEO is awesome, approachable and a rare breed of brilliant engineer + salesman
    • The VP of engineering is friendly and a great listener devoted to improving the department and providing transparency to teams
    • Strong commitment to QA and test automation
    • Cutting edge technology that will someday have far-reaching impacts beyond our current market

Cons

For some roles, there's a lack of granularity that makes it difficult for folks to know what exactly they need to do to level up. I know kCura is acutely aware of this problem and I fully expect management to address this head on this year.

If you're a manager for someone you don't work with on a daily basis, make more of an effort aside from one on one meetings to understand how that person is doing.

What is Everyone Talking About? Great Technology Company!

I have been working at kCura full-time

Pros

People: The folks who work here, and stay here, are nice, intelligent, creative and fun. And everyone is different, which is really awesome. Another common quality of the people who seem to enjoy working at kCura is that they work hard, give and take feedback and are continually working to get better. It is a humble organization with humble employees.

Technology: The company provides awesome tools for us to get our work done. kCura is not afraid to spend money on the things that really benefit employees and what we do.

Compensation and Benefits: This improves every year. As the company grows, so do our benefits and so must our policies.

Company Culture: No company is perfect, but in my opinion, kCura has one of the best company cultures I've seen. In other reviews, people say it’s "cliquey" or "cultish," but this has never been something I've experienced. Employees like to hang out with each other and mingle. Yes, we have happy hours that involve alcohol. We also have sports leagues, various groups for gaming, volunteer activities, and a lot more. I would never say I felt like only one type of person has a social life at work, nor that I feel like I must drink to be involved.

Cons

Rapid Growth: We are growing quickly, and with that kCura struggles to maintain its culture. Understandably some things have to change, but I hope that the real kCura doesn't get lost in the hiring craze.

Complainers: Obviously, with more headcount, you have more whiners. Don't like the free lunch offered after the staff meeting? No problem, don't eat it - it's free. Employees are starting to complain about a lot of little things and forget that two of our core values are to "Be humble & stay hungry" and to "Enjoy and be great at your job." Maybe instead of complaining, offer up some realistic suggestions for solutions & alternatives.

Make sure to very clearly address big changes to company policies and procedures. It's clear the roll-out of the flexible work arrangements policy is still unclear and people are confused within their departments. Also, don't lose site of what kCura really is: a great place to work on great technology with great people. And the volunteer opportunities are awesome! Keep 'em coming!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Must be a Yes Man

I have been working at kCura full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice perks but all are frosting on the cake. Its the cake that needs work. Benefits are now decent, up till this year not so much. Finally found decent health insurance, I think cause they are hiring more people who have families and they demand good health care or won't join.

Cons

If you don't go with the program or against top management, you won't last long. I've seen them hire top people who tried to make a difference only to be fired for no reason. Guess they don't realize everyone sees what happens and just goes with the flow so we don't get fired. They say this company has a start up feel, the only part of that is true is they expect more than 40 hours in the office and more at home if you get lucky enough to go home on time.

There is no board on this company, its owned by one person who rules; there needs to be a balanced board of directors to lead the company and provide checks and balances on decisions. When one person has the total say so, its a dictatorship, just saying.

Stable, growing company with an outdated technology stack

Former Employee - Developer  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Developer in Chicago, IL

I worked at kCura full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people, the compensation, and (some) of the perks.
    Almost to a fault, the people at KCura are nice, approachable, and generally fun to be around.
    Overall compensation, at least on the engineering side of things, seemed to be inline with larger developer market.

Cons

The culture here is very cliquey, and it's pretty obvious off the bat if you fit in....or you don't. Also, there is an almost zealous focus on desk time and mandatory 9 hour work days...even if there's downtime. Forget about workplace flexibility. If you like the latest and greatest technology, this is not the place for you - the code base is old(VB? Really?), and there are redundant, frustrating, layers of process throughout. Plan on a lengthy, sometimes stressful, on-boarding process in the neighborhood of 2 months, before you see any actual code.

Eliminate the middle management layer, or give them something legitimate to focus on. If you are going to buy into agile, go whole hog: 'agile-like' is painful for everyone. Also, workplace flexibility is a big deal and starts from the top down: it's sorely lacking and needs to be fixed.

A fun, rewarding experience but you have to work for it

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at kCura full-time for more than a year

Pros

- people are smart. they get stuff done, and the onus is on you to follow suit. this is a huge plus in my book.
    - one of the best cultures i've seen.
    - it's exciting to come to work on a monday.
    - great equipment to work with.

Cons

- the interview process should be tougher. hire fast does not equal great talent. don't saturate the talent;
    - developers shouldn't be doing support (unless they really want to).

- protect the dev talent pool. if the product is the most important aspect of kcura, then make sure the developers are happy by continuing to pose challenging tasks that help the developer get better at what they do.

Challenging, great place to work with evolving policies

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at kCura full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Love the people--kCura has some amazing people to work with
    -Becoming more flexible with work-from-home policies
    -Great benefits
    -Great culture

Cons

-Some of the policies are still not established enough to be reliable or to feel comfortable taking advantage of them

-Thanks for making us feel like our voices are being heard and we can always talk to someone about our concerns

You will be challenged and accepted

I have been working at kCura for more than 3 years

Pros

The hiring standards are very high, and it shows. Expect to work with people who are very smart and have a lot of self-motivation. Everyone is themselves here; people are honest, aren't afraid to like what they like.

Perks are awesome. Don't expect to work from home every Friday, but if you want to duck out for a dentist appointment, or even stay home for a plumber, I've never had a problem doing that. You can use your PTO in as large a chunk as you want, which is something my friends elsewhere can't always do. Training budget to go to conferences is dispensed without many restrictions. Free fruit, pop, good health plan.

People are friendly but are very serious about the work to be done.

The company gives a lot of money and time to hurting public schools. You can tell that senior management cares a lot about this and it isn't just for show. There are people sinking months and months of effort into this, making sure that the impact is broad and can be expanded to other companies, which is really cool.

People are talking past each other when it comes to internal promotion in Product Development. Employees hired in the last 15 months don't realize that the VP of Engineering + half of the managers are internal promotions from 12-24 months ago. They see a number of managers and C-level execs hired from outside within the last year, and so they worry about their careers, while at the same time complaining that the leadership isn't/wasn't experienced. Well, you can't have it both ways. Leadership is half external and half internal. Meanwhile, management responds to this criticism by counting the number of internal promotions, but they included things like "Software Engineer -> Sr. Software Engineer" which is pretty hilarious and perhaps even misguided.

Cons

Due to hiring, the office is cramped and it's getting worse every Monday. It will be resolved next year....ish. For awhile. Luckily all of the working space has awesome equipment and big desks, and most of it has sweet conference rooms and breakout spaces, which helps.

There are growing pains as policies like compensation, bonus, WFH, etc are instituted and the kinks worked out.

I think some of the complaining I'm reading is the result of the stress of living up to your peers. When you work with people who are seemingly effortlessly awesome at their role you have to work hard to not suck.

Tying bonus to corporate revenue is not popular. Don't take it further. Expect to see resignations if raises, 401k match, or literally anything else goes down this path. Also, when you change something popular, such as the old bonus system, you need to be brutally honest about why this is done with as many numerical figures as you can. I think it's pretty obvious it had to change, but not enough justification was given.

Make every department define a WFH policy as if it was a legal code. Enforce it, tune it, and then, stop. Right now it's possible but not common, which is as far as I'd want to go.

I hate Storyboard.

Grateful to be part of this team

I have been working at kCura full-time

Pros

I read these reviews on Glassdoor and wonder if some of these folks walk in to the same building I do every day. I love this job. I don't feel controlled or manipulated. My manager(s) are supportive and open-minded. I laugh a lot. My peers are intelligent and capable. I don't work with "frat boys" or adhere to a "party mentality" (plenty of coworkers don't even drink). The benefits are fantastic. Our clients are a pleasure to work with. There are near-constant learning opportunities. We now have the ability to work from home, though it's still expected that, for most people, the standard workday will be spent in the office.

Cons

We're on a sometimes grueling schedule to release a large number of features in a short amount of time. I have a great work-life balance, but for folks in other departments, it may not be that way.

Training program is a miserable ordeal

Former Employee - Technical Writer  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Chicago, IL

I worked at kCura full-time for less than a year

Pros

I don't have many "pro" comments to list, unfortunately. On paper, it appears to be an exciting company with great technology, but you quickly forget about that as you get swamped by the training program.

Cons

Nearly every new employee (pretty much everybody but admin people) gets put through an excruciating 6-week training program, and they have to pass a very difficult certification test at the end of it to stay at the company. I've never seen anything remotely like it. The training period is an extremely stressful ordeal. Sure, they give you an iPad, but early on they drop a number of large documents for you to read and learn, and before you have enough time to get through them there's more, and then more and more after that. It's an impossibly large amount of information to assimilate. There are night study sessions you have to attend, and eventually you become completely obsessed with passing their certification, to the exclusion of everything else in your life, like your family. You have to learn every nook and cranny of their pretty large software application. For the certification, you have to be able to correctly execute 5 intricate, intentionally mis-ordered 30+-step procedures in their app, then answer a very long series of highly detailed multiple-choice questions. It smacks of age discrimination, as I think that only a young person would be able to successfully assimilate the gigantic amount of information they throw at you. (Nearly all of the surviving employees are younger than me; I'm 50. Being 50 should be an asset, not a liability, but not at kCura.) Because of what they put their new employees through, I feel that this company definitely does not belong on the Tribune's annual "best places to work" list that it always makes.

Is it really critical that each new employee know that such-and-such field can hold 200 characters? Do you really want to welcome your (supposedly valued) new employees by putting them through this hellish ordeal? Before I started, I was very enthused about working there. Now I hate this company, and I hope I never have to experience an ordeal like that again. I also hope somebody slaps an age discrimination suit on them.

Worked for kCura? Contribute to the Community!