kCura Reviews

Updated August 21, 2014
Updated August 21, 2014

Andrew Sieja

Pros
  • Becoming more flexible with work-from-home policies (in 4 reviews)

• Lots of great people you work with whom you can call friends (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Company finally instituted work from home policy but still fairly restrictive (in 6 reviews)

• I have a great work-life balance, but for folks in other departments, it may not be that way (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Never Want to Leave

I worked at kCura as an intern

Pros

Great people who love the company and know the technology inside and out
    Opportunity to learn about a lot of different areas
    FANTASTIC intern program: management really cares about what we're learning and wants us to succeed
    Amazing managers who recognize the extra work you put in
    Fun "extracurriculars" like kOlympics, kFit Challenge, kWoW
    Great benefits like Divvy membership, Fooda twice a week, competitive pay, flexible work arrangements
    Strong values and a heart to give back to Chicago through kCura Gives

Cons

Can be difficult to explain all value-adds to upper management
    Not a lot of growth in some departments

Free lunch every day? :)

Phenomenal place to work with brilliant people, interesting work and a great culture.

I have been working at kCura full-time for more than a year

Pros

• Strong management team
    • I'm excited to come into work every day because the work is interesting
    • Friendly, smart people that you'll learn a lot from
    • Company growing quickly on pace to own the market. Incredible growth potential.
    • People have fun -- pong, foos, nba jam, happy hours, etc.
    • You'll make some great friends here
    • You'll get a big training budget
    • Great perks/benefits
    • Company is small enough for you to make a major impact
    • Company is committed to agile, ships quickly and values stakeholder feedback
    • The CEO is awesome, approachable and a rare breed of brilliant engineer + salesman
    • The VP of engineering is friendly and a great listener devoted to improving the department and providing transparency to teams
    • Strong commitment to QA and test automation
    • Cutting edge technology that will someday have far-reaching impacts beyond our current market

Cons

For some roles, there's a lack of granularity that makes it difficult for folks to know what exactly they need to do to level up. I know kCura is acutely aware of this problem and I fully expect management to address this head on this year.

If you're a manager for someone you don't work with on a daily basis, make more of an effort aside from one on one meetings to understand how that person is doing.

What is Everyone Talking About? Great Technology Company!

I have been working at kCura full-time

Pros

People: The folks who work here, and stay here, are nice, intelligent, creative and fun. And everyone is different, which is really awesome. Another common quality of the people who seem to enjoy working at kCura is that they work hard, give and take feedback and are continually working to get better. It is a humble organization with humble employees.

Technology: The company provides awesome tools for us to get our work done. kCura is not afraid to spend money on the things that really benefit employees and what we do.

Compensation and Benefits: This improves every year. As the company grows, so do our benefits and so must our policies.

Company Culture: No company is perfect, but in my opinion, kCura has one of the best company cultures I've seen. In other reviews, people say it’s "cliquey" or "cultish," but this has never been something I've experienced. Employees like to hang out with each other and mingle. Yes, we have happy hours that involve alcohol. We also have sports leagues, various groups for gaming, volunteer activities, and a lot more. I would never say I felt like only one type of person has a social life at work, nor that I feel like I must drink to be involved.

Cons

Rapid Growth: We are growing quickly, and with that kCura struggles to maintain its culture. Understandably some things have to change, but I hope that the real kCura doesn't get lost in the hiring craze.

Complainers: Obviously, with more headcount, you have more whiners. Don't like the free lunch offered after the staff meeting? No problem, don't eat it - it's free. Employees are starting to complain about a lot of little things and forget that two of our core values are to "Be humble & stay hungry" and to "Enjoy and be great at your job." Maybe instead of complaining, offer up some realistic suggestions for solutions & alternatives.

Make sure to very clearly address big changes to company policies and procedures. It's clear the roll-out of the flexible work arrangements policy is still unclear and people are confused within their departments. Also, don't lose site of what kCura really is: a great place to work on great technology with great people. And the volunteer opportunities are awesome! Keep 'em coming!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A fun, rewarding experience but you have to work for it

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at kCura full-time for more than a year

Pros

- people are smart. they get stuff done, and the onus is on you to follow suit. this is a huge plus in my book.
    - one of the best cultures i've seen.
    - it's exciting to come to work on a monday.
    - great equipment to work with.

Cons

- the interview process should be tougher. hire fast does not equal great talent. don't saturate the talent;
    - developers shouldn't be doing support (unless they really want to).

- protect the dev talent pool. if the product is the most important aspect of kcura, then make sure the developers are happy by continuing to pose challenging tasks that help the developer get better at what they do.

You will be challenged and accepted

I have been working at kCura for more than 3 years

Pros

The hiring standards are very high, and it shows. Expect to work with people who are very smart and have a lot of self-motivation. Everyone is themselves here; people are honest, aren't afraid to like what they like.

Perks are awesome. Don't expect to work from home every Friday, but if you want to duck out for a dentist appointment, or even stay home for a plumber, I've never had a problem doing that. You can use your PTO in as large a chunk as you want, which is something my friends elsewhere can't always do. Training budget to go to conferences is dispensed without many restrictions. Free fruit, pop, good health plan.

People are friendly but are very serious about the work to be done.

The company gives a lot of money and time to hurting public schools. You can tell that senior management cares a lot about this and it isn't just for show. There are people sinking months and months of effort into this, making sure that the impact is broad and can be expanded to other companies, which is really cool.

People are talking past each other when it comes to internal promotion in Product Development. Employees hired in the last 15 months don't realize that the VP of Engineering + half of the managers are internal promotions from 12-24 months ago. They see a number of managers and C-level execs hired from outside within the last year, and so they worry about their careers, while at the same time complaining that the leadership isn't/wasn't experienced. Well, you can't have it both ways. Leadership is half external and half internal. Meanwhile, management responds to this criticism by counting the number of internal promotions, but they included things like "Software Engineer -> Sr. Software Engineer" which is pretty hilarious and perhaps even misguided.

Cons

Due to hiring, the office is cramped and it's getting worse every Monday. It will be resolved next year....ish. For awhile. Luckily all of the working space has awesome equipment and big desks, and most of it has sweet conference rooms and breakout spaces, which helps.

There are growing pains as policies like compensation, bonus, WFH, etc are instituted and the kinks worked out.

I think some of the complaining I'm reading is the result of the stress of living up to your peers. When you work with people who are seemingly effortlessly awesome at their role you have to work hard to not suck.

Tying bonus to corporate revenue is not popular. Don't take it further. Expect to see resignations if raises, 401k match, or literally anything else goes down this path. Also, when you change something popular, such as the old bonus system, you need to be brutally honest about why this is done with as many numerical figures as you can. I think it's pretty obvious it had to change, but not enough justification was given.

Make every department define a WFH policy as if it was a legal code. Enforce it, tune it, and then, stop. Right now it's possible but not common, which is as far as I'd want to go.

I hate Storyboard.

Grateful to be part of this team

I have been working at kCura full-time

Pros

I read these reviews on Glassdoor and wonder if some of these folks walk in to the same building I do every day. I love this job. I don't feel controlled or manipulated. My manager(s) are supportive and open-minded. I laugh a lot. My peers are intelligent and capable. I don't work with "frat boys" or adhere to a "party mentality" (plenty of coworkers don't even drink). The benefits are fantastic. Our clients are a pleasure to work with. There are near-constant learning opportunities. We now have the ability to work from home, though it's still expected that, for most people, the standard workday will be spent in the office.

Cons

We're on a sometimes grueling schedule to release a large number of features in a short amount of time. I have a great work-life balance, but for folks in other departments, it may not be that way.

Chicago needs more tech companies like kCura

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at kCura as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

The talent added over the last 18 months, specifically at the mid-to-senior leadership levels, has been very impressive. The buzz in the VC community has been loud for over three years. The flying-under-the-radar company is a refreshing change from the Groupon's of Chicago, with endless self-promotion and drama. And the core product Relativity is becoming THE name in eDiscovery, if it's not already.

If kCura were founded and based in San Francisco, most everyone would have heard of them, and many more would be trying to get hired by them.

Cons

Let me think - casual dress environment, very competitive pay, free benefits for employees, 401k match, pancake breakfasts monthly, free beverages, a week off of work between Christmas and New Year's? Hmmm. Work from home is the only thing I can think of.

I think some people need to give the mid-30's Founder/CEO a break - he's never run a company before and has been learning along the way. You try it some time.

After doubling the ranks of management from 4 to 8 in two years, all of whom have gray hair and the necessary experience to help lead kCura domestically and globally, I'm excited to see what the company does next with this added firepower.

This is a special place to work, if you want it to be

I have been working at kCura full-time

Pros

More than anything, kCura is an amazing place filled with friendly, hard-working individuals. There's a passion here that isn't present at a lot of companies, and it's probably what has led to some of the negative opinions in these reviews. Everyone in this company wants to improve the product and the culture, and it's true that people who don't necessarily "fit in" can feel ostracized for that. It isn't expected that you work 12 hour days, but it certainly is appreciated when you've done it in order to make sure you've delivered something exceptional. People on my team are often out the door at 5 PM on the dot, but it doesn't matter because they've done amazing work while they're at the office. There's an obvious difference between someone who's working for the weekend and somebody who's truly passionate about what they do, and it has nothing to do with being "cool" or old friends or what is often perceived as one manager's personal opinion. I feel I have done well during my time with this company, and take a lot of offense to someone suggesting it has to do with anything other than my hard work and dedication to my job.

There are a large number of people fresh out of college or without any significant work experience. It's easy to hear of companies like Google giving their employees unbelievable perks, and expect that anything less is a disappointment, when in reality the perks at kCura are beyond what most companies can offer. If you're professional, hard-working and pleasant to be around, you'll do great here (as you will at any company). If you're not delivering and are a detriment to your team, you're probably going to have a bad time (as you will at any company).

Other comments:

- The compensation is above-average, and the benefits are incredible: at least 18 days PTO, full medical and dental coverage, and a very generous end-of-year bonus, among others

- A new, flexible work arrangement policy is addressing the work-from-home concerns

Cons

Some of the reviews on here are not incorrect in respect to the transparency from management. This is a very fast-growing company with employees that are trying to grow with it. There are often management decisions made that are perfectly reasonable, but poorly communicated, and it has led to a lot of the frustration you see here. Most everyone in the company is mature enough to deal with a tough decision, as long as it is clearly explained. There's nothing worse for morale than leaving the rationale of a decision up to the imagination of those affected by it. That being said, I think this is something being improved on every day, and has made great strides thanks to a fairly new addition in our Chief People Officer.

Also, the career development within the company has been slow to...develop. As a very young company, there are a lot of employees dealing with the struggles of loan debt and the cost of living in Chicago. Since the primary way of earning a significant raise is via a promotion, that's what everybody is striving for. However, most departments offer very little in terms of upward mobility, or have (justifiably) strong criteria for earning a promotion. This results in employees feeling stuck, despite exceeding expectations within the company. The eDiscovery business, particularly in terms of companies using Relativity, is incredibly lucrative. kCura should recognize that they're providing a ton of experience in an industry that has very little of it, and think about what that means for retaining employees. Work should be about more than just money, but there's a point where it's in your best interest to go towards the better offer, and I'm not sure if the company is aware that many people reach that tipping point.

Try to think about the downstream impact of some of your decisions. Whenever you can, try to gather feedback before you decide something that you're not directly responsible for. A quick change in your plan can ultimately mean days or weeks of wasted work for the people who have to deliver it.

Overwhelmingly Positive

I have been working at kCura full-time

Pros

The team building exercises, benefits, and upper management actually seems to listen to concerns of front line personnel.

Cons

The review system for performance doesn't make sense. No need to have ratings on the scale if they're unattainable.

Worthy of all accolades won

I have been working at kCura full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with very intelligent people
    Ability to learn new areas of this business by working with other departments
    Being able to make a difference
    Ability to expand your own skill set
    Continually being challenged to become great at your job
    Openness to move within the company to other areas of the business
    Continued open and honest feedback on your progress
    Recognizing kCura is maturing adding the necessary benefits

The list can go on and on if you start adding all the tangible items like ipads, free drinks, monthly lunches, pancake breakfast, etc... I wanted everyone to know what else kCura offers besides these items, so you know you are becoming part of a family and not just another number in a company.

Cons

Not identifying bad seeds faster allowing them to taint the workplace with their negative aura
    Health Benefits are very good but not great
    Different options for candy at the front desk would be welcomed
    Weekly digest is very bland
    No option to buy discounted software for home use
    No avenue to inform people in the company if you have leftovers, or if you brought something in for the company to enjoy on a first come basis

Management should continue to be open minded as at times they can easily dismiss an idea without actually evaluating it. Continue to enhance the culture and hire great people. This is what makes kCura a great place to work.

Worked for kCura? Contribute to the Community!