kCura Reviews

Updated April 14, 2015
71 reviews filtered by
3.3
Andrew Sieja

Pros
  • Yes, we have happy hours that involve alcohol (in 7 reviews)

• Company pays for nice equipment to work on, and has a fairly generous training budget (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work from home policy" implemented with no real intention of letting people do it (in 8 reviews)

• No work / life balance, especially if you commute from the suburbs (in 7 reviews)

1. Awesome Place, Awesome People

Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at kCura

Pros

Office culture, gave interesting work, growth is amazing, dress code is casual, compensation is excellent

Cons

Nothing in particular was very negative, overall an incredibly positive experience

2. Fast growing company that rewards hard working and skilled employees.

Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at kCura full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The work environment is excellent. I get along with my peers who are like minded and it makes it that much easier to work as a team. Most places I worked at before, teams were like college projects were one does all the work while the rest slack. At kCura, it's like my team is composed of all team leaders from those college projects. We are all ready and willing to contribute, at least in my department.

Cons

The fast growth results in some hectic days where it is apparent that we are short staffed. However, management has been on pace this year with adding new hires faster.

Advice to Management

As we keep growing, please don't forget who we are. Let's not give up quality for quantity!

3. Great place to work

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at kCura full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great work environment
    Great perks

Cons

Work from home policies
    Not great Compensation

Advice to Management

Better opportunities for growth

5. My first real corporate internship and it exceeded my expectations.

Former Intern - Human Resources Intenr in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Human Resources Intenr in Chicago, IL

I worked at kCura as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone in the HR department was incredibly kind and accommodating; this internship was very much a learning experience for me and the staff really helped me grow to my full potential within the office.

Cons

Sometimes work was kind of quiet, simply because there wasn't much to do some days.

6. Never Want to Leave

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at kCura as an intern

Pros

Great people who love the company and know the technology inside and out
    Opportunity to learn about a lot of different areas
    FANTASTIC intern program: management really cares about what we're learning and wants us to succeed
    Amazing managers who recognize the extra work you put in
    Fun "extracurriculars" like kOlympics, kFit Challenge, kWoW
    Great benefits like Divvy membership, Fooda twice a week, competitive pay, flexible work arrangements
    Strong values and a heart to give back to Chicago through kCura Gives

Cons

Can be difficult to explain all value-adds to upper management
    Not a lot of growth in some departments

Advice to Management

Free lunch every day? :)

7. Phenomenal place to work with brilliant people, interesting work and a great culture.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at kCura full-time (more than a year)

Pros

• Strong management team
    • I'm excited to come into work every day because the work is interesting
    • Friendly, smart people that you'll learn a lot from
    • Company growing quickly on pace to own the market. Incredible growth potential.
    • People have fun -- pong, foos, nba jam, happy hours, etc.
    • You'll make some great friends here
    • You'll get a big training budget
    • Great perks/benefits
    • Company is small enough for you to make a major impact
    • Company is committed to agile, ships quickly and values stakeholder feedback
    • The CEO is awesome, approachable and a rare breed of brilliant engineer + salesman
    • The VP of engineering is friendly and a great listener devoted to improving the department and providing transparency to teams
    • Strong commitment to QA and test automation
    • Cutting edge technology that will someday have far-reaching impacts beyond our current market

Cons

For some roles, there's a lack of granularity that makes it difficult for folks to know what exactly they need to do to level up. I know kCura is acutely aware of this problem and I fully expect management to address this head on this year.

Advice to Management

If you're a manager for someone you don't work with on a daily basis, make more of an effort aside from one on one meetings to understand how that person is doing.

What is Everyone Talking About? Great Technology Company!

I have been working at kCura full-time

Pros

People: The folks who work here, and stay here, are nice, intelligent, creative and fun. And everyone is different, which is really awesome. Another common quality of the people who seem to enjoy working at kCura is that they work hard, give and take feedback and are continually working to get better. It is a humble organization with humble employees.

Technology: The company provides awesome tools for us to get our work done. kCura is not afraid to spend money on the things that really benefit employees and what we do.

Compensation and Benefits: This improves every year. As the company grows, so do our benefits and so must our policies.

Company Culture: No company is perfect, but in my opinion, kCura has one of the best company cultures I've seen. In other reviews, people say it’s "cliquey" or "cultish," but this has never been something I've experienced. Employees like to hang out with each other and mingle. Yes, we have happy hours that involve alcohol. We also have sports leagues, various groups for gaming, volunteer activities, and a lot more. I would never say I felt like only one type of person has a social life at work, nor that I feel like I must drink to be involved.

Cons

Rapid Growth: We are growing quickly, and with that kCura struggles to maintain its culture. Understandably some things have to change, but I hope that the real kCura doesn't get lost in the hiring craze.

Complainers: Obviously, with more headcount, you have more whiners. Don't like the free lunch offered after the staff meeting? No problem, don't eat it - it's free. Employees are starting to complain about a lot of little things and forget that two of our core values are to "Be humble & stay hungry" and to "Enjoy and be great at your job." Maybe instead of complaining, offer up some realistic suggestions for solutions & alternatives.

Advice to Management

Make sure to very clearly address big changes to company policies and procedures. It's clear the roll-out of the flexible work arrangements policy is still unclear and people are confused within their departments. Also, don't lose site of what kCura really is: a great place to work on great technology with great people. And the volunteer opportunities are awesome! Keep 'em coming!

A fun, rewarding experience but you have to work for it

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at kCura full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- people are smart. they get stuff done, and the onus is on you to follow suit. this is a huge plus in my book.
    - one of the best cultures i've seen.
    - it's exciting to come to work on a monday.
    - great equipment to work with.

Cons

- the interview process should be tougher. hire fast does not equal great talent. don't saturate the talent;
    - developers shouldn't be doing support (unless they really want to).

Advice to Management

- protect the dev talent pool. if the product is the most important aspect of kcura, then make sure the developers are happy by continuing to pose challenging tasks that help the developer get better at what they do.

10. You will be challenged and accepted

I have been working at kCura (more than 3 years)

Pros

The hiring standards are very high, and it shows. Expect to work with people who are very smart and have a lot of self-motivation. Everyone is themselves here; people are honest, aren't afraid to like what they like.

Perks are awesome. Don't expect to work from home every Friday, but if you want to duck out for a dentist appointment, or even stay home for a plumber, I've never had a problem doing that. You can use your PTO in as large a chunk as you want, which is something my friends elsewhere can't always do. Training budget to go to conferences is dispensed without many restrictions. Free fruit, pop, good health plan.

People are friendly but are very serious about the work to be done.

The company gives a lot of money and time to hurting public schools. You can tell that senior management cares a lot about this and it isn't just for show. There are people sinking months and months of effort into this, making sure that the impact is broad and can be expanded to other companies, which is really cool.

People are talking past each other when it comes to internal promotion in Product Development. Employees hired in the last 15 months don't realize that the VP of Engineering + half of the managers are internal promotions from 12-24 months ago. They see a number of managers and C-level execs hired from outside within the last year, and so they worry about their careers, while at the same time complaining that the leadership isn't/wasn't experienced. Well, you can't have it both ways. Leadership is half external and half internal. Meanwhile, management responds to this criticism by counting the number of internal promotions, but they included things like "Software Engineer -> Sr. Software Engineer" which is pretty hilarious and perhaps even misguided.

Cons

Due to hiring, the office is cramped and it's getting worse every Monday. It will be resolved next year....ish. For awhile. Luckily all of the working space has awesome equipment and big desks, and most of it has sweet conference rooms and breakout spaces, which helps.

There are growing pains as policies like compensation, bonus, WFH, etc are instituted and the kinks worked out.

I think some of the complaining I'm reading is the result of the stress of living up to your peers. When you work with people who are seemingly effortlessly awesome at their role you have to work hard to not suck.

Advice to Management

Tying bonus to corporate revenue is not popular. Don't take it further. Expect to see resignations if raises, 401k match, or literally anything else goes down this path. Also, when you change something popular, such as the old bonus system, you need to be brutally honest about why this is done with as many numerical figures as you can. I think it's pretty obvious it had to change, but not enough justification was given.

Make every department define a WFH policy as if it was a legal code. Enforce it, tune it, and then, stop. Right now it's possible but not common, which is as far as I'd want to go.

I hate Storyboard.

Grateful to be part of this team

I have been working at kCura full-time

Pros

I read these reviews on Glassdoor and wonder if some of these folks walk in to the same building I do every day. I love this job. I don't feel controlled or manipulated. My manager(s) are supportive and open-minded. I laugh a lot. My peers are intelligent and capable. I don't work with "frat boys" or adhere to a "party mentality" (plenty of coworkers don't even drink). The benefits are fantastic. Our clients are a pleasure to work with. There are near-constant learning opportunities. We now have the ability to work from home, though it's still expected that, for most people, the standard workday will be spent in the office.

Cons

We're on a sometimes grueling schedule to release a large number of features in a short amount of time. I have a great work-life balance, but for folks in other departments, it may not be that way.