kCura

kCura Reviews

Updated December 15, 2014
Updated December 15, 2014

Andrew Sieja

Pros
  • Yes, we have happy hours that involve alcohol (in 7 reviews)

• Company pays for nice equipment to work on, and has a fairly generous training budget (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work from home policy" implemented with no real intention of letting people do it (in 8 reviews)

• No work / life balance, especially if you commute from the suburbs (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

My first real corporate internship and it exceeded my expectations.

Former Employee - Human Resources Intenr in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Human Resources Intenr in Chicago, IL

I worked at kCura as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone in the HR department was incredibly kind and accommodating; this internship was very much a learning experience for me and the staff really helped me grow to my full potential within the office.

Cons

Sometimes work was kind of quiet, simply because there wasn't much to do some days.

not as advertised

I worked at kCura full-time (less than an year)

Pros

lax dress policy
    some extremely intelligent people to work with
    office space is nice and conducive for meetings
    location is downtown
    free insurance
    training budget for employees
    #1 in the industry

Cons

compensation is not competitive for mid-career, not market rates at all
    401k is not great
    negative environment
    work from home policy is awful
    work life balance is awful
    agree with the cultish remarks of some - a lot of kool aid drinkers
    so many arrogant and unhelpful people
    one upsmanship and escalations i thought were left at a large organization were alive and well, 'i know the ceo, so' *sigh*

your hiring process advertises a utopia. bonus plan was not as advertised, teamwork and support not as advertised, job duties not as advertised, and no one mid career cares about parties as a form of compensation or teamwork.

Meh?

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at kCura full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent benefits.
    Relaxed dress code.
    Fun parties.
    Genuine and tenacious CEO. Many find him intimidating, I tend to think he is pretty on-point. Genuineness != warmth always. The guy put all this in motion and has a strong vision.
    Some fairly smart people around to be sure.
    HR is nice and they are very helpful if needed.
    Good place to get your career started and move on if it isn't your thing after a while.
    Industry leaders in eDiscovery. Being one of the top dogs is fun.
    Over time I saw many "cons" addressed thoughtfully by leadership; executive team has been responsive in this way and it is nice to see.
    All of the whining in other reviews about the values on the wall is just childish and dumb - I think it is refreshing, if a little cheesy. Accusations of "Stalin-esque" whatever are just silly and overly-dramatic.
    OK training budget.
    Historically, the company gave high bonuses across the board (see "cons" below for changes to this policy).
    Little barrier to needed technology in product development - they do provide many tools with almost no red tape. Ask for something and you have it, within justifiable reason.

Cons

Top-down chaotic software development dictated by senior management.
    Requirements often change or just outright get turned upside down even halfway through a release.
    Enormous amounts of tech debt that grow as a result.
    Pockets of anti-collaboration kill the "collaboration" vibe they project, and nobody cares enough to do much about it. Just keeps repeating a broken record.
    Little, if anything, in the way of recourse when seniors are the anti-collaborators. They get a free pass because the tight schedules can't afford to lose senior engineers.
    High turnover, especially on teams with aforementioned pockets.
    "Work from home policy" implemented with no real intention of letting people do it.
    People tend to keep their nose down and stay quiet when you speak up about things that are not going well.
    Pockets of cliquishness in various departments; likely a vestige of how tiny they were only a handful of years ago, but it is EXTREMELY midwestern (not in a good way) and belies the values of the company.
    No idea how they will implement the new "performance-based" bonus structure, when performance reviews happen months after the bonuses are awarded.
    Senior people often don't stick around unless they came up through the org; upper management has a hard time interfacing with people who are established in their careers and are not interested in drinking the kool-aid.

Allow the BAs and PMs to actually own the products instead of decreeing from on high what the entire development organization is doing, without fully knowing what you want it to do and then half-stepping and pivoting constantly.
    Allow the development organization to mature - it isn't a startup anymore, and a longer-term strategy is needed. This causes a lot of unnecessary burnout and frustrations.
    Keep changing things for the better as you identify valid criticisms. Be open to what a "valid criticism" is, though.
    Be more nimble in adjusting compensation to match the market. Much better opportunities exist all over.
    Give the guys in CS better salaries; they can double their salary if they leave with the expertise you give them.
    If there is a team with excessive turnover, at a certain point it may make sense to ask what is going on with the seniors on the team instead assuming it was all of the people that left that were owners of all the problems.

Just another software company

Former Employee - Applications Specialist I in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Applications Specialist I in Chicago, IL

I worked at kCura full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Most people are friendly, knowledgeable and fun to work with.
    Free pop, water, coffee and fruit. Company gives back to community.
    Benefits are decent. You get an IPad to use while you work there which was nice.

Cons

Lack of career growth, this could be department specific. In client services, you will gave to pass an exam after 6 weeks to keep your job. Though in reality, what you learn from the exam isnt really used much at all. They put a lot of emphasis on this and dont take into account that whether you pass or not, has no bearing on whether you can do your job.
    Technology is behind here, most software companys have moved away from having desktop pcs and are using laptops.
    Salary is a joke, at least it was for me. They dont seem to take into account previous experience.

Take a step back and look at the company, its software and procedures. kCura is #1 in the market place now. That could change very quickly, as the software is very basic. I have seen companies think they were unbeatable, only to fall to a small startup.

Leaders aren't leaders if they don't know how to motivate their teams through collaboration and trust

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at kCura full-time

Pros

Perks and people. Most "on the front lines" are friendly and motivated to learn new things and help each other out. Perks are self explanatory. The company has a specific interest in giving back to the community (great focus on tech and education in Chicago) and the company in the form of outings, lunches, and gear. Also, kCura seems to have pretty stable growth and a sustained customer base so they're not going anywhere any time soon.

Cons

Leadership (CEO and VP) is often quick to blame individuals or the department for poor quality or bad outcomes, when really it starts from the top - lead by example, please! Entire departments are written off if they seemingly "don't get it" or don't produce exactly what leadership has in mind.

What ever happened to providing context and goals - not requirements and ill-vetted opinions - so the team can collaborate on the appropriate solution? What happened to trusting the people you hired to do their jobs and play their part in making kCura successful (and keeping it that way)?

Also, remaining competitive with outdated technology is only going to get harder and harder - do you want to become the Motorola/Sears of the Chicago engineering community?

1) Giving teams context to do their job well is what management should be focusing on - working as a team is more important than dictating top down.

By the way, this applies to any department - whether you're in engineering, education, client services, or marketing. Leadership has been known to trump decisions made by managers and leads throughout the organization. Project managers from IT, product managers, and marketing project leads have all experienced this in some fashion and yet leadership still expects them to be accountable for the end results. "Yes, I just changed requirements on you because I feel like it and said so. Yes, you still have to build and deliver it in 2 weeks and have it be of the highest quality."

How about leadership takes accountability for scope creep, bad requirements, last minute changes, and overall not conveying the vision well enough so that the people doing the work live and breathe this just as much as you do? All it results in is unhappy, overworked, unsatisfied employees. Given them context and shared ownership for the vision and you might even end up with a better solution that you couldn't have dreamed up yourself. Or maybe, that's just how they like it. This place isn't for everyone - especially if you like to think for yourself and feel empowered to have a say at all.

2) Relativity itself dominates in terms of e-discovery solutions in the market, though how long they can claim users that have ridden the tide across the years versus adopting new strategies is to be seen. Market testing ideas and concepts is bread and butter to making sure you're listening to your users and still delivering value to customers. "Inside out" thinking aka subjective-leadership-opinion-driven leads to features that dribble out with minimal impact, which leads to bad market messaging, web copy, and sales pitches. If you want to know why that new feature, marketing blast, or strategy didn't work it's not because the engineers, writers, or managers didn't do their jobs. It's because there's little time left to market test UX requirements, do proper A/B testing on the new web copy, or consider a competitive pricing model before building a new feature. Why is there little time left for these valuable activities? Wait for it....full circle! Leadership micromanages teams on so many irrelevant details instead of taking a step back, defining the goal and vision, backing it with data and letting the teams share ownership of building to that vision. But hey, if you don't mind playing in to the game of hierarchies and pecking orders this place could be for you.

Never Want to Leave

I worked at kCura as an intern

Pros

Great people who love the company and know the technology inside and out
    Opportunity to learn about a lot of different areas
    FANTASTIC intern program: management really cares about what we're learning and wants us to succeed
    Amazing managers who recognize the extra work you put in
    Fun "extracurriculars" like kOlympics, kFit Challenge, kWoW
    Great benefits like Divvy membership, Fooda twice a week, competitive pay, flexible work arrangements
    Strong values and a heart to give back to Chicago through kCura Gives

Cons

Can be difficult to explain all value-adds to upper management
    Not a lot of growth in some departments

Free lunch every day? :)

Phenomenal place to work with brilliant people, interesting work and a great culture.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at kCura full-time (more than an year)

Pros

• Strong management team
    • I'm excited to come into work every day because the work is interesting
    • Friendly, smart people that you'll learn a lot from
    • Company growing quickly on pace to own the market. Incredible growth potential.
    • People have fun -- pong, foos, nba jam, happy hours, etc.
    • You'll make some great friends here
    • You'll get a big training budget
    • Great perks/benefits
    • Company is small enough for you to make a major impact
    • Company is committed to agile, ships quickly and values stakeholder feedback
    • The CEO is awesome, approachable and a rare breed of brilliant engineer + salesman
    • The VP of engineering is friendly and a great listener devoted to improving the department and providing transparency to teams
    • Strong commitment to QA and test automation
    • Cutting edge technology that will someday have far-reaching impacts beyond our current market

Cons

For some roles, there's a lack of granularity that makes it difficult for folks to know what exactly they need to do to level up. I know kCura is acutely aware of this problem and I fully expect management to address this head on this year.

If you're a manager for someone you don't work with on a daily basis, make more of an effort aside from one on one meetings to understand how that person is doing.

What is Everyone Talking About? Great Technology Company!

I have been working at kCura full-time

Pros

People: The folks who work here, and stay here, are nice, intelligent, creative and fun. And everyone is different, which is really awesome. Another common quality of the people who seem to enjoy working at kCura is that they work hard, give and take feedback and are continually working to get better. It is a humble organization with humble employees.

Technology: The company provides awesome tools for us to get our work done. kCura is not afraid to spend money on the things that really benefit employees and what we do.

Compensation and Benefits: This improves every year. As the company grows, so do our benefits and so must our policies.

Company Culture: No company is perfect, but in my opinion, kCura has one of the best company cultures I've seen. In other reviews, people say it’s "cliquey" or "cultish," but this has never been something I've experienced. Employees like to hang out with each other and mingle. Yes, we have happy hours that involve alcohol. We also have sports leagues, various groups for gaming, volunteer activities, and a lot more. I would never say I felt like only one type of person has a social life at work, nor that I feel like I must drink to be involved.

Cons

Rapid Growth: We are growing quickly, and with that kCura struggles to maintain its culture. Understandably some things have to change, but I hope that the real kCura doesn't get lost in the hiring craze.

Complainers: Obviously, with more headcount, you have more whiners. Don't like the free lunch offered after the staff meeting? No problem, don't eat it - it's free. Employees are starting to complain about a lot of little things and forget that two of our core values are to "Be humble & stay hungry" and to "Enjoy and be great at your job." Maybe instead of complaining, offer up some realistic suggestions for solutions & alternatives.

Make sure to very clearly address big changes to company policies and procedures. It's clear the roll-out of the flexible work arrangements policy is still unclear and people are confused within their departments. Also, don't lose site of what kCura really is: a great place to work on great technology with great people. And the volunteer opportunities are awesome! Keep 'em coming!

Must be a Yes Man

I have been working at kCura full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice perks but all are frosting on the cake. Its the cake that needs work. Benefits are now decent, up till this year not so much. Finally found decent health insurance, I think cause they are hiring more people who have families and they demand good health care or won't join.

Cons

If you don't go with the program or against top management, you won't last long. I've seen them hire top people who tried to make a difference only to be fired for no reason. Guess they don't realize everyone sees what happens and just goes with the flow so we don't get fired. They say this company has a start up feel, the only part of that is true is they expect more than 40 hours in the office and more at home if you get lucky enough to go home on time.

There is no board on this company, its owned by one person who rules; there needs to be a balanced board of directors to lead the company and provide checks and balances on decisions. When one person has the total say so, its a dictatorship, just saying.

Stable, growing company with an outdated technology stack

Former Employee - Developer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Developer in Chicago, IL

I worked at kCura full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people, the compensation, and (some) of the perks.
    Almost to a fault, the people at KCura are nice, approachable, and generally fun to be around.
    Overall compensation, at least on the engineering side of things, seemed to be inline with larger developer market.

Cons

The culture here is very cliquey, and it's pretty obvious off the bat if you fit in....or you don't. Also, there is an almost zealous focus on desk time and mandatory 9 hour work days...even if there's downtime. Forget about workplace flexibility. If you like the latest and greatest technology, this is not the place for you - the code base is old(VB? Really?), and there are redundant, frustrating, layers of process throughout. Plan on a lengthy, sometimes stressful, on-boarding process in the neighborhood of 2 months, before you see any actual code.

Eliminate the middle management layer, or give them something legitimate to focus on. If you are going to buy into agile, go whole hog: 'agile-like' is painful for everyone. Also, workplace flexibility is a big deal and starts from the top down: it's sorely lacking and needs to be fixed.