kCura Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.1
Andrew Sieja

Pros
  • Good bonuses, happy hours , health perks n fruits (in 7 reviews)

• Excellent training budget and programs offered to all employees (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • New exempt employees must wait six months to work from home (in 8 reviews)

• I have a great work-life balance, but for folks in other departments, it may not be that way (in 7 reviews)

1. Not what they sell it as

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at kCura full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are decent, with a good location in downtown Chicago, The parties after the mandatory all hands meetings have decent food and drink. Most people who work here are genuinely nice. The corporate values sound sensible. If you can keep your head down, work long hours doing what you're told, and not question your superiors, this could be an okay job.

Cons

kCura talks a lot to the public and to itself about how excellent it is. Reality isn't quite the same. We're supposed to expect excellence from each other in our work, but the reality is that a lot of work is barely adequate. The employees with the longest tenure are treated as golden children, and use the core values to protect their roles, even though many of them are out of their depth. The structural problems that bugged me 2 years ago still aren't being addressed, and I'm out of here soon.

Advice to Management

Hire people smarter than you. Spend some of the time and effort that goes into trying to win "Best place to work" awards, and put it towards actually making the place a good place to work. The company isn't "cool", the staff isn't "cool", and you aren't "cool". Stop believing your hype and admit there are real problems, and do the hard work of actually fixing themin. Just because you hired someone in 2011, it doesn't mean they are actually competent.

Interesting work and interesting people

Pros

Challenging work and smart, motivated colleagues

Cons

As a fast-growing company, processes were sometimes lacking, and the work to be tackled was limitless

Advice to Management

Keep growing the business and providing good jobs, and keep us informed and enrolled in the company's mission

Great people, great culture

I have been working at kCura full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've really enjoyed working here so far. This is a rapidly growing company, and I think a lot of the negative reviews I read talk about concerns that are being, or have been, addressed. The company expects you to work hard, but I see that as a plus. I have a fairly young manager, but he seems truly invested in my success and provides feedback in a way that allows me to adjust course and thrive. In could be the case that this culture varies from team to team or manager to manager, but the majority of people I interact with seem happy with their jobs. They have very good benefits and the compensation seems more than adequate. They have a strong commitment to the community and giving back, which is refreshing. Their company giving is about helping people, not about advertising or gaining recognition. I like the CEO. He's passionate, and is as transparent as can be expected. If you like to go out and drink/have a good time, that could be a plus here as there are lots of "happy hours" with free alcohol. I'm not a teetotaler, but I have a family and am not at the point in my life where I have time to go out and drink excessively. It's nice that, while that is definitely part of the culture here, I don't feel pressured to participate and I don't feel like I've missed out on something when I go home early. We all work hard while we're in the office, but it seems like the vast majority of the people on my team go home at 5 or 6. It's refreshing that there are reasonable work expectations. Again, that might vary from team to team, but for the people I interact with, if you work hard and meet your deadlines, you don't need to put in excessive "face-time" to prove your worth. I love that.

Cons

It seems like they are still ironing out some kinks with their work from home policy. I have a lot of flexibility, but it sounds like not everyone does. I think this is part of the adjustment process from a start up to a larger, established company. The "party" culture could definitely be an issue if you don't want to ever see anyone with a drink in a work setting. But, as I said above, I don't really participate in that scene and I don't feel like I have to. People are frank with feedback. I like that, but if you have a thin skin, you might have an issue here. This is a company in transition. Parts of it still feel like a start-up, parts are starting to get more normed/regulated. If you feel like you can only strive in one of those two environments, this might not be the place for you. You're going to need to be flexible as the company grows.

5. Software engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at kCura full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People are smart to work with. They are knowledgeable and have got to something to learn everyday at work. I've personally learned a lot while at kCura.

Cons

Sometimes the release period can get hectic. WFH has a negative vibe to it and is looked down at.

Advice to Management

Keep up with you constant communication to the team.

6. Business Analyst

I have been working at kCura full-time

Pros

- Good work/life balance and benefits

Cons

- Not much room for career growth. Most of management hires come from outside of the company.

7. Awesome Place, Awesome People

Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

Pros

Office culture, gave interesting work, growth is amazing, dress code is casual, compensation is excellent

Cons

Nothing in particular was very negative, overall an incredibly positive experience

8. Fast growing company that rewards hard working and skilled employees.

Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at kCura full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work environment is excellent. I get along with my peers who are like minded and it makes it that much easier to work as a team. Most places I worked at before, teams were like college projects were one does all the work while the rest slack. At kCura, it's like my team is composed of all team leaders from those college projects. We are all ready and willing to contribute, at least in my department.

Cons

The fast growth results in some hectic days where it is apparent that we are short staffed. However, management has been on pace this year with adding new hires faster.

Advice to Management

As we keep growing, please don't forget who we are. Let's not give up quality for quantity!

9. Great place to work

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at kCura full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment Great perks

Cons

Work from home policies Not great Compensation

Advice to Management

Better opportunities for growth

not as advertised

I worked at kCura full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

lax dress policy some extremely intelligent people to work with office space is nice and conducive for meetings location is downtown free insurance training budget for employees #1 in the industry

Cons

compensation is not competitive for mid-career, not market rates at all 401k is not great negative environment work from home policy is awful work life balance is awful agree with the cultish remarks of some - a lot of kool aid drinkers so many arrogant and unhelpful people one upsmanship and escalations i thought were left at a large organization were alive and well, 'i know the ceo, so' *sigh*

Advice to Management

your hiring process advertises a utopia. bonus plan was not as advertised, teamwork and support not as advertised, job duties not as advertised, and no one mid career cares about parties as a form of compensation or teamwork.

Meh?

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at kCura full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits. Relaxed dress code. Fun parties. Genuine and tenacious CEO. Many find him intimidating, I tend to think he is pretty on-point. Genuineness != warmth always. The guy put all this in motion and has a strong vision. Some fairly smart people around to be sure. HR is nice and they are very helpful if needed. Good place to get your career started and move on if it isn't your thing after a while. Industry leaders in eDiscovery. Being one of the top dogs is fun. Over time I saw many "cons" addressed thoughtfully by leadership; executive team has been responsive in this way and it is nice to see. All of the whining in other reviews about the values on the wall is just childish and dumb - I think it is refreshing, if a little cheesy. Accusations of "Stalin-esque" whatever are just silly and overly-dramatic. OK training budget. Historically, the company gave high bonuses across the board (see "cons" below for changes to this policy). Little barrier to needed technology in product development - they do provide many tools with almost no red tape. Ask for something and you have it, within justifiable reason.

Cons

Top-down chaotic software development dictated by senior management. Requirements often change or just outright get turned upside down even halfway through a release. Enormous amounts of tech debt that grow as a result. Pockets of anti-collaboration kill the "collaboration" vibe they project, and nobody cares enough to do much about it. Just keeps repeating a broken record. Little, if anything, in the way of recourse when seniors are the anti-collaborators. They get a free pass because the tight schedules can't afford to lose senior engineers. High turnover, especially on teams with aforementioned pockets. "Work from home policy" implemented with no real intention of letting people do it. People tend to keep their nose down and stay quiet when you speak up about things that are not going well. Pockets of cliquishness in various departments; likely a vestige of how tiny they were only a handful of years ago, but it is EXTREMELY midwestern (not in a good way) and belies the values of the company. No idea how they will implement the new "performance-based" bonus structure, when performance reviews happen months after the bonuses are awarded. Senior people often don't stick around unless they came up through the org; upper management has a hard time interfacing with people who are established in their careers and are not interested in drinking the kool-aid.

Advice to Management

Allow the BAs and PMs to actually own the products instead of decreeing from on high what the entire development organization is doing, without fully knowing what you want it to do and then half-stepping and pivoting constantly. Allow the development organization to mature - it isn't a startup anymore, and a longer-term strategy is needed. This causes a lot of unnecessary burnout and frustrations. Keep changing things for the better as you identify valid criticisms. Be open to what a "valid criticism" is, though. Be more nimble in adjusting compensation to match the market. Much better opportunities exist all over. Give the guys in CS better salaries; they can double their salary if they leave with the expertise you give them. If there is a team with excessive turnover, at a certain point it may make sense to ask what is going on with the seniors on the team instead assuming it was all of the people that left that were owners of all the problems.

RSS Feed </> Embed