kawasaki Motors Corp, USA

Be The First To
Add Photos

Masatoshi Tsurutani

Sadly, it's all true

Instructional Designer (Current Employee)
Irvine, CA

I have been working at kawasaki Motors Corp, USA full-time for more than 8 years

ProsInteresting work, rank and file are down to earth people

ConsManagement is ignorant, abusive, uncaring, has an extremely top-down attitude

The corporate culture mimics a "hive collective".

I have been working at kawasaki Motors Corp, USA full-time

ProsThe employee benefits are reasonable.

ConsAny independent thought is discouraged, but blind obedience is rewarded.

Something is wrong, but I can't put my finger on it.

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at kawasaki Motors Corp, USA as a contractor for less than a year

ProsCafeteria, gym, showers, most of the people are nice. People start off being nice to you but careful if they are upset with you, then they start to become rude and start to complain about you ( it's usually made up).

ConsReceived no training, there is a strong rumor mill, and there is an ineffective management . Low level thinking among the paper pushers and they are difficult to get along with. Management has a double standard policy. For example, I was told there was no personal use of internet; which I wasn't doing but someone complained about it. At the same time my entire department was on the internet for personal use. My supervisor was on her bank web site ( yes, the same one who told me no personal internet) the employee across from me was on her Facebook account ( with the same supervisor who told me no personal internet) looking over her shoulder making commentary. The temp in front of me was on Pinterest, NFL, or on Google chat every time I passed by her desk. And yet, it was okay for everyone else to have personal use of the internet except me ( again, I wasn't on it for personal use).

I sat there for hours and hours with no work because of their inefficiency and yet at the same time, they were laying off permanent employees. They used one of my suggestions without telling me of the change nor did they give me credit. Aside from that , how can you follow protocol when management hides it from you? If Kawasaki gets smart they can eliminate this department and update the process and spread the work among other employees. The management I worked with were long time employees who had developed bad working habits and were stunted professionally. It's incredible how outdated their business practices were.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove management style to increase employee efficiency and teach managment it's unprofessional to be gossiping in front of other employees. It doesn't set a positive tone or help keep up morale.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unethical incompetent executives (Directors, VPs)

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at kawasaki Motors Corp, USA full-time for more than 5 years

ProsInternational company, working with nice Japanese people

Cons1-US executives have been promoted due to years of service and the friendships they form internally, not because of their intellectual capabilities, strategic thinking, technical skills, and credentials. Some of them don't even have a college degree and the ones that do have one, who knows how they managed to graduate.

These executives don't see anything wrong with themselves. Instead, they see themselves as gifted leaders that the company needs in order to grow, despite of having financially sunk Kawasaki USA and positioned Kawasaki US in a deplorable state for many years already.

Despite of the above true facts, who knows what the Japanese executives and managers are still waiting for to re-engineer Kawasaki and fire all those US executives ?

2-Don't ever complain about any US executive, people have been retaliated and unethically terminated because of it. Non-executive employees cannot trust or complain to anybody inside Kawasaki, even if they are badly treated by executives. In fact there are executives that have received many complaints from other employees, but they still don't get fired or demoted.

3-Kawasaki in Irvine is an oversized organization because of executives' noticeable incompetence. Also, executives want to manage a lot of people to boost up their huge egos, their career, and resume. These executives do not care about the company, they just want to grow their departments to increase their image and power.

4-Executives are entitled to make 6 figure or even million Dollars investments in marketing projects, IT, logistics, operational, etc, even tough they don't have the knowledge, qualifications and skills to do so. So, the company ends up with huge loses with projects that do not bring in any money or benefits.

5-Awfully managed organization with wide-spread wasting of money due to executives' incompetence.Therefore, the company needs to rely on many external service providers that do a lot of work that should be done internally. These service providers are aware of this wide-spread incompetence and they take advantage of it by overcharging up to 10 times more for their services.

But these overcharges are also a double edge weapon. Perhaps some executives are aware of the hefty overcharges, but they pretend not to see anything in order to build mutually beneficial relationships with those service providers. This way, they can secure a solid network of contacts if they ever leave Kawasaki. (I scratch your back and you scratch mine)

6-Many well-qualified non-executive employees have been awfully treated by executives to force them to leave, because executives get jealous of their expertise and performance, or feel threatened by their expertise, or they just want to take credit for the ideas, knowledge and know-how that those employees brought into the company. Basically, it is a toxic work environment where the ones at the top clearly abuse their power.

7-Executives are aware of the injustices towards employees and hefty overcharges across different departments within the organization. However, executives function like a fraternity that protects each other, never question each other, and never voice their opinion about another executive's activities. Even if those activities harm the company, the employee morale, and harm non-executive employees, no executive will stick their nose on another executive's activities.

8-It is almost impossible to get a US executive fired, despite of employees complaining about them, despite of their poor performance or bad decisions, despite of having done unethical things, and despite of being directly responsible for loosing hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars. But these so-called executives have no remorse in firing non-executive employees because of their own mistakes.

9-Some executives have turned their departments into a very cumbersome illogical operation, so they can reinforce their job security and guarantee for themselves a large staff of people to manage. In the end, it is all about securing power, not about doing the right thing for the company.

10-The incompetence issues are so serious within Kawasaki US in Irvine that Kawasaki had to create "Kawasaki University", as a mean to internally teach the most basic elementary things to all employees, including to executives. We are not talking here about training, we are literally talking about teaching basic elementary things. Despite of that, Kawasaki HR always voice that they hire the best and most brilliant, even though employees need to be taught the most elementary things. Perhaps Kawasaki is in the "education" business.

11-The Japanese inside Kawasaki USA are extremely aware of all the above issues, despite of the constant lies and manipulation that US executives play on the Japanese staff and President. Unfortunately, the Japanese do absolutely nothing to fix any of the above issues. I wonder who is in control of Kawasaki...the Japanese or the US executives in Irvine?

Advice to Senior ManagementI advise the Japanese management in Irvine and Japan headquarters to clean up the house, fire all existing executives Irvine, in order to be able to re-engineer all Kawasaki motors USA in Irvine CA. The toxic, unjust, and dysfunctional organization that these US executives have created and preserved through time needs to be put to an end, in order to revive Kawasaki and secure a prosperous future.

A Very Unethical and Disappointing place to work

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at kawasaki Motors Corp, USA full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood standard company benefits. The motorcycle industry is generally very fun.

ConsThe Japanese are afraid to deal with HR issues in their respective department. Therefore, they put a heavy load on the incompetent upper management, who in-turn pass it to the incompetent HR department.

While there are a few exceptions, employee morale was quite low. One of many reasons (at least for me) was the unethical practices from the top. Many American staff enjoy the lack of Japanese supervision and steal parts and use expensive resources for their personal use. While I was there, a manager that was a known abuser (selling unregistered ATV's that should have been destroyed and trading parts for personal services) was PROMOTED by upper management. It is quite disgusting. This usually kills the spirit of other staff who truly want to work hard for a company in the industry they love - it did mine!

Unqualified managers and executives

Sales (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at kawasaki Motors Corp, USA full-time

ProsBenefits, Fun industry, Good working conditions, Int'l environment

Cons1-Old boys club network at the upper levels. Too many unqualified people without deserving it got to managerial and executive positions. They seriously lack a wide spectrum of tangible qualifications and knowledge, although they enjoy their undeserved power, telling people what to do, and of course their benefits.

2-If you are part of the Old boys’ club network, the company will unfortunately assume that "seniority" (years with the company) means that you are qualified with a tangible high level of expertise and technical skills needed to be competent as an executive. However, Kawasaki executives wouldn't stand a chance to hold a managerial or executive position in other companies that are more professional and serious about what they mean by "qualifications".

3-There is a non-sense and undeserved large salary gap between executives and the rest of the employees. This salary gap is discriminatory and proves how the Old Boy's club functions.

4-Executives never take the blame for their mistakes and bad decisions, but the smaller guy will. On the other hand, if any employee does some good work, those executives will make sure that they are the "only" ones that get the glory, promotions, and bonuses.

5-There is no communication from top to lower levels because executives always believe to know better.

Advice to Senior ManagementI spent many years working at the Kawasaki headquarters in Irvine CA. It hurts me to see how the old boys club network is destroying the company. They undeservingly give promotions to each other and even hire friends. This large scale problem can only be fixed by the Japanese world headquarters.

It's factory work.

Team Member (Current Employee)
Maryville, MO

ProsYou get fair pay, chance to promote, & good benefits.

ConsIts factory work & the economy affects how you live. At times lots overtime & others no so much.

Its an old school industry run by a good ole' boys club.

Marketing Professional (Current Employee)

I have been working at kawasaki Motors Corp, USA

ProsGood benefits and work enviroment.

ConsVery little opportunity for advancement. 75% of the management personnel have no formal training. They wouldn’t last a year managing anywhere else outside of the motorcycle industry.

Painful.

Software Developer (Current Employee)
Lincoln, NE

I have been working at kawasaki Motors Corp, USA

ProsLearning in an international environment allows for a wealth of knowledge of international business. Powerful and wealthy enough company to do about what ever you want.

ConsLeadership is poor. They do not know how to take care of employees. They would rather work on something that keeps failing then start something that will be successful.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to manage people and care about the the employees. If you show your support for your employees you would be amazed the support you'll receive in return.

Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Pasadena, CA

I worked at kawasaki Motors Corp, USA

ProsManagement very flexible fun industry

ConsNo advancement opportunity unorganized needs to be structured better

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter organization

Worked for kawasaki Motors Corp, USA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at kawasaki Motors Corp, USA reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for kawasaki Motors Corp, USA CEO Masatoshi Tsurutani. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by kawasaki Motors Corp, USA employees.