lucy Activewear Reviews

Updated April 23, 2015
66 reviews filtered by
4.1
n/a

Pros
  • There is a work/life balance here you don't ever feel over worked (in 5 reviews)

• Wear comfortable lucy clothes to work (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Competition between employees to meet sales goals (in 4 reviews)

• Bad pay and not able to get promoted or increase pay, limited hours allowed to work, poor corporate management (in 2 reviews)

1. A small but inspirational company!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alameda, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alameda, CA

I have been working at lucy Activewear full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- It's a smaller team here, so you get to work very closely with a lot of different departments. It's an amazing place to flex your cross-functional team muscles.
    - Being smaller you definitely get to gain great experience in a lot of different area vs. being a smaller part of a large team. You get an amazing amount of experience.
    - There is a lot of passion here in the home office about our customer and the product. It makes it extremely inspiring to be around this team.
    - Last but definitely not least, our store team out in the field has a great passion for our product, customers, and the active lifestyle. It's a great recipe for success in this particular arena of the retail industry.

Cons

- Not really a con but, being a smaller overall team, there are a lot of extra duties that you take on. I think it is actually great experience and you learn a lot, but if you are a one-track, one task kind of person, this one will be a tough environment.

2. lucy HQ is a Great Place to Be!

Current Employee - Senior Product Line Manager in Alameda, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Line Manager in Alameda, CA

I have been working at lucy Activewear full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Amazing co-workers and collaborative environment
    - All of the excitement and independence of working for a small start-up but with the backing of a large corporation due to the support from our parent company VF
    - Progressive leadership and desire to learn through experimentation
    - A place every person has the chance to make an impact on the business
    - Beautiful campus with workout facilities (free) and a cafe that makes lovely, fresh meals
    - Fun team events within lucy and VF OUtdoor (free monthly breakfast, earth day volunteer event, monthly happy hour, holiday party)
    - A chance to help shape the industry's next big Women's Active brand
    - Great work/life balance
    - Generous discount across VF brands
    - Awesome brand vision and alignment on how to get there

Cons

- If you are averse to change the environment may not appeal to you
    - Depending on the time of day the commute can be long

Advice to Management

No advice, just sincere thanks.

3. Product Director

Current Employee - Product Director in Alameda, CA
    Current Employee - Product Director in Alameda, CA

I have been working at lucy Activewear

Pros

We are a passionate organization full of intelligent and like minded creators. We have a strong brand vision and voice and we make product that reflects that. Every day I come to work and feel lucky to be a part of something big.

Cons

We are in the midst of growing and building this brand so that comes with it's challenges. The toughest thing we face is keeping up with our growth in terms of staffing and systems/processes.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting the troupes and we'll keep making magic!

5. Design Team

I worked at lucy Activewear full-time

Pros

- LOVE the people I work with on the Design Team! These are bright, creative, hard-working designers who are smart, respectful, funny and passionate.
    - Close collaboration with each other and cross-functional teams.
    - Team culture fosters trust, shared vision, cool activities to learn about our product or consumers, and supporting each other's personal and professional growth.
    - Other teams respect and look to the Design Team to create, clarify and lead the Brand's styling point of view.
    - We promote our creative talent through social media, team spirit and a turnaround in product
    - We strive for One Team, One Dream...and a NO JERK zone.
    - The campus and environment is gorgeous...LEED PLATINUM Certified and organic/locally sourced food.
    - Work from home Fridays!

Cons

- We're still a relatively small brand with little brand awareness. However, we have an insanely loyal following.
    - Being a creative person in a corporate environment is ultimately about the business of making money and being an awesome team player. If you're a Diva or have a massive ego, this is not the place for you. We don't want you here either.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring high caliber people! They are worth every penny.

6. Sr. Director Operations

I have been working at lucy Activewear full-time

Pros

Team of elite professionals developing / achieving business strategies
    Great cross functional collaboration

Cons

Speed limit in Alameda is 25 MPH and the police are everywhere

7. Very positive work culture!

Former Employee - Key Holder in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Fairfax, VA

I worked at lucy Activewear part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, positive work culture-environment, wonderful management and teamwork.

Cons

Typical mandatory retail expectations: working nights/holidays however, that is when customers shop, so that is the only con.

8. Fun environment

I have been working at lucy Activewear

Pros

Awesome dress code
    Great discount
    Fun team environment
    Flexible schedule for those still in school

Cons

Not enough incentives
    Not enough growing opportunities

9. Awesome team and awesome product that all women love!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at lucy Activewear part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours
    Good pay for hourly associates
    Amazing team atmosphere
    Showcases to meet and colaberate with awesome fitness studios
    New studios love to reach out to us to offer free classes to spread the word

Cons

For sales associates, there aren't many hours to go around depending on location but they compensate by paying over minimum wage!

Once was a great place to work.

I worked at lucy Activewear

Pros

Best dress code and great benefits. Fun in store contest and great bonus if you make your monthly store goal.

Cons

Ridiculous outreach program. They expect way to much of their managers. It is impossible to run a store and spend the amount off time expected outside the store to drive your own business. It is even more difficult if you do not live in the community. Most mangers feel they are stretched too thin. Traffic has dropped significantly and it seems as if mangers have more on their plate. It can be stressful at times to plan and host monthly events with no additional resources (funds$). Employee reviews mid and year end are extremely lengthy and timely. Employee turn over is high due to minimal hours given. Do not expect to be able to support yourself financially working at Lucy. Discount is decent however the prices are still high and team members have difficulty affording product.

Advice to Management

Quarterly allowance for team members would be be beneficial for both parties. Stop expecting your managers to do marketings job.
    Most managers do not have marketing degrees and the pressure / stress put on managers to drive in store traffic is unreasonable. Revert back to the time were mangers felt encouraged and recognized for their hard work. Monthly All store calls do not inspire or uplift, in fact they do the opposite and discourage. Many times you walk away feeling insufficient, anyone that says different is lying.

11. Fun and inspiring work environment.

Former Employee - Key Holder in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Chicago, IL

I worked at lucy Activewear part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a good brand and easy to sell.

Cons

As I'm sure it is with all retail, it is all about meeting the numbers and following the company's script.

lucy Activewear Photos