lululemon

www.lululemon.com

lululemon Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Laurent Potdevin

Pros
  • They are very health focused and you get two free fitness classes a week at a local studio(in 32 reviews)

• Stock options, great discounts on quality apparel, lots of free yoga classes(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • poor scheduling inhibits intended "work-life balance"(in 13 reviews)

• Upper management is very disconnected from what happens at a store level(in 6 reviews)

If you want an excellent example of trying to move up in a company and failing...

Educator (Former Employee)

ProsMy coworkers were wonderful people, and free yoga! Personal and professional development was good, though the Landmark Forum is COMPLETELY NUTS.

ConsTrying to move up in the company. I have 2 higher degrees (BA and MA) in a field that would allow me to move up in any apparel company, and it was my dream to work in HQ at lulu. But for some reason I wasn't able. I financed a trip myself to canada and visited/shadowed the team I wanted to eventually be on, networked, sent emails, communicated with my store manager, applied to the position I wanted, etc. I was part time at lulu & had a 2nd job relevant to my eventual dream job, but always expressed a desire to become full time at lulu on the store level in an effort to eventually move up to my dream job there. After a year and a half in this situation, I couldn't even even achieve full time status in the store; in fact, there were newer employees than I that were given full time status before me. I GAVE UP and now work in HQ at a different apparel company. Looking back, it's hard to fight the feeling that I wasted a year and a half working there for nothing...

Advice to Senior ManagementHear the needs of the educator: this is THEIR JOB. The store is not your castle and this isn't serfdom. You owe them more than 1 shift a week. Support them in their goals, ESPECIALLY if they want to work up in the company and ESPECIALLY if they are excessively qualified. If you promote someone with less seniority, give feedback to others who were interested in that were not promoted on why they weren't and what they can do to get the promotion-- and then live up to what you say. My management team were wonderful people outside of the store, but there were flaws in the workplace.

Great Ideas, Horrible Practice

Educator (Former Employee)

ProsIt was enjoyable to work with fellow educators because I felt we were all of a similar mindset: goal oriented, fitness loving, fun, etc. The perks they offered us were nice as well, such as the gym classes and the discount at their stores.

ConsUnfortunately, the pros do not outweigh the cons; though I never had a problem dealing with employees at my level, once you moved up to the next rung there were serious issues. There's no accountability in terms of what the key leaders or assistant managers might be doing that you have a problem with (very "who watches the watchmen" sort of deal). Like many have said here, most - if not all - of your managers are in their mid-20s and it shows. They tout work-life balance as something that they strive for, but honestly, if you're not showing your face and making your presence known/chumming it with upper management, you will be cast aside. Many people felt that hours were given based on preferential treatment, and not on actual needs as displayed by the employees. Compensation, though higher than the average rate, was still very little, and with such volatility in how many hours you might be receiving, it was often stressful not knowing how much income you might actually be receiving. Furthermore, they expected you to often come much earlier than your shift, which is understandable; however, receiving negative "feedback" for arriving not early enough by their standards was difficult to comprehend, especially when many people could not sustain a living simply by working at Lululemon, and required other forms of employment to maintain an adequate standard of living.
    Power plays were definitely a thing here, and that might come from the fact that management was just a couple years older than the average educator. This became especially apparent when after working under various managers; because no one was in charge of the managers, often working under one of their shifts meant that you would do things their way, which often undermined the work of another manager. But it didn't matter, because there was no one there to hold them accountable for their actions. Innovation, like the work-life balance, was constantly encouraged, so long as you didn't annoy anyone in management. Finally, as many other have said here, management constantly doled out what they termed "feedback", which more often than not felt like a way for them to undermine your work and/or paint you as a bad employee. If there was something that they didn't particularly like that you did, they would make sure to make a note of it so that other managers could see your "shortcomings". In the end, there was not much wiggle room for the creativity that they talked about so freely; it was often best to put your head down, make few suggestions, and do the task at hand (or, if the store was empty and there was nothing to do, pretend that you were doing something).
    This is all unfortunate, because although I did enjoy my time there as a whole, it became very apparent that unless I wasn't completely willing to bow down to the culture and drink the Lulu Kool-Aid, then I would forever be considered an outsider.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow for innovation and creativity from the educators without taking the offensive, or reacting as if they are attempting to undermine your authority. More often than not, they are simply trying to help and show that they are committed to making the workplace more successful.

Lululemon is fun if you need something for the time being but as a career forget it.

Key Leader (Former Employee) Carlsbad, CA

ProsThey pay for you to workout and you meet a ton of people. It's a great launching pad because you will be thrown into a crazy network of people not to mention get to know many wealthy guests who are regulars at the store. The culture of the brand is very positive and good for writing down your goals.

ConsChallenges are that it's mostly women who work at the store which can be overwhelming at times. Depending on your store there can be major drama. Other things include super clickiness or even personality differences can be an issue of wether or not you can move up to your next role. If they like you, then you can move up. Also they document every little thing about you in this book and watch for patterns they want to fix about you. If you sense that you are not liked by management watch your back because they will write down anything they can in this book and talk about it in there management meetings and then figure out ways they can fire you.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are pretty good about getting you your time off by seniority. You automatically get 2 weeks paid but it is not payed to you while you are away but put into your pay as a percentage. You will probably only get either a saturday or a sunday off but good luck ever getting both off. You usually have to scramble to get someone to cover you on one of those days if you want a weekend off. They do offer health and dental benefits to the full timers which is nice.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good experience, fun job!

ProsGood pay, work-life balance, motivating group of people to work with, good extra benefits such as free workout classes, very community focused

ConsTime-off can be difficult sometimes, some women in retail can be catty at times, some of the "guests" attracted to Lululemon are difficult to work with

amazing

Expediator (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosgreat work environment, fast paced, happy and fun people

Consalways have to work one day on the weekend

Good place to learn, Fun people and get fit

Key Leader (Former Employee) Boulder, CO

ProsPay for workouts, inspire you to set goals, push you to succeed and take ownership as an entrepreneur you can lead and have your voice heard as each store is run by the employees.

ConsLots of competition to get to corporate offices and Canadians would prefer to have locals there, than needing americans to get visas. Some negative feedback about the product lately and their practices.

lulu addic

Educator (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

Prosgreat people, awesome values, people are extremely supportive and writing your goals can be extremely beneficial

Consworking weekends can be tough, culture of feedback gives power to those who do not deserve it, if you don't want to rise within lululemon you won't get moved up.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Be Aware of the lulu-Flavored Kool-Aid

ASM (Former Employee)

Prosflexible arrangements and decent work-life balance
    management at least pretends to care
    the company encourages you to think about life after lulu
    get to wear amazingly comfy clothes to work
    all the free workouts you can handle
    for retail - this is likely the best arrangement you'll find (if you're into fitness)

Consthe creepy group-think that begins to emerge the longer you're there
    you're forced to read out-dated books from the "library" and integrate needlessly into your work
    the favoritism that inevitably plays out when a bunch of former sorority-types work together
    the clothes are too expensive for part-timers (those without massive discounts)

Advice to Senior Managementconsider taking a bottom-up approach as well as a top-down review system. if you really care as much about your employees as you claim, you ought to be interested in how your managers are performing.

Hypocritical Culture

Educator (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosdiscount on clothes, comp'd exercise classes, some of the team members were great

Consmanagement was hypocritical, terrible people culture despite priding themselves on it, felt like if you weren't part of the 'cult' then you weren't going to succeed. I think it might've just been the manager and assistant manager at the location i worked at ( NYC, huge volume store...a lot of pressure to sell), as I've spoken to people who worked at lulu in other more low-key locations/states and their experience sounded very different.

Disappointing in the end.

Educator (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsAttracts a group of people who are positive, upbeat and active. Individuals are inspired to share their love of fitness with the community and the energy the stores have is contagious.

ConsLack of knowledgable management. People end up in upper level positions as a result of time invested with the company and not as a result of qualifications or managerial skills.

Worked for lululemon? Contribute to the Community!