lululemon
www.lululemon.com Vancouver, Canada 5000+ Employees

lululemon Reviews

Updated Jul 5, 2014

Laurent Potdevin

Pros:
  • "They are very health focused and you get two free fitness classes a week at a local studio"
    in 31 reviews
  • "Stock options, great discounts on quality apparel, lots of free yoga classes"
    in 24 reviews
Cons:
  • "Employees are underpaid, overworked, with no work/life balance"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Upper management is very disconnected from what happens at a store level"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Ideas, Horrible Practice

Educator (Former Employee)

ProsIt was enjoyable to work with fellow educators because I felt we were all of a similar mindset: goal oriented, fitness loving, fun, etc. The perks they offered us were nice as well, such as the gym classes and the discount at their stores.

ConsUnfortunately, the pros do not outweigh the cons; though I never had a problem dealing with employees at my level, once you moved up to the next rung there were serious issues. There's no accountability in terms of what the key leaders or assistant managers might be doing that you have a problem with (very "who watches the watchmen" sort of deal). Like many have said here, most - if not all - of your managers are in their mid-20s and it shows. They tout work-life balance as something that they strive for, but honestly, if you're not showing your face and making your presence known/chumming it with upper management, you will be cast aside. Many people felt that hours were given based on preferential treatment, and not on actual needs as displayed by the employees. Compensation, though higher than the average rate, was still very little, and with such volatility in how many hours you might be receiving, it was often stressful not knowing how much income you might actually be receiving. Furthermore, they expected you to often come much earlier than your shift, which is understandable; however, receiving negative "feedback" for arriving not early enough by their standards was difficult to comprehend, especially when many people could not sustain a living simply by working at Lululemon, and required other forms of employment to maintain an adequate standard of living.
    Power plays were definitely a thing here, and that might come from the fact that management was just a couple years older than the average educator. This became especially apparent when after working under various managers; because no one was in charge of the managers, often working under one of their shifts meant that you would do things their way, which often undermined the work of another manager. But it didn't matter, because there was no one there to hold them accountable for their actions. Innovation, like the work-life balance, was constantly encouraged, so long as you didn't annoy anyone in management. Finally, as many other have said here, management constantly doled out what they termed "feedback", which more often than not felt like a way for them to undermine your work and/or paint you as a bad employee. If there was something that they didn't particularly like that you did, they would make sure to make a note of it so that other managers could see your "shortcomings". In the end, there was not much wiggle room for the creativity that they talked about so freely; it was often best to put your head down, make few suggestions, and do the task at hand (or, if the store was empty and there was nothing to do, pretend that you were doing something).
    This is all unfortunate, because although I did enjoy my time there as a whole, it became very apparent that unless I wasn't completely willing to bow down to the culture and drink the Lulu Kool-Aid, then I would forever be considered an outsider.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow for innovation and creativity from the educators without taking the offensive, or reacting as if they are attempting to undermine your authority. More often than not, they are simply trying to help and show that they are committed to making the workplace more successful.

lulu addic

Philadelphia, PA

Prosgreat people, awesome values, people are extremely supportive and writing your goals can be extremely beneficial

Consworking weekends can be tough, culture of feedback gives power to those who do not deserve it, if you don't want to rise within lululemon you won't get moved up.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Good place to learn, Fun people and get fit

Key Leader (Former Employee)
    Boulder, CO

ProsPay for workouts, inspire you to set goals, push you to succeed and take ownership as an entrepreneur you can lead and have your voice heard as each store is run by the employees.

ConsLots of competition to get to corporate offices and Canadians would prefer to have locals there, than needing americans to get visas. Some negative feedback about the product lately and their practices.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very supportive community

Houston, TX

ProsKey Leaders and Managers take time to give feedback and ask you how you are doing.

ConsAdvancement based on your personality not your work ethic

Fun, entrepreneurial environment

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGreat comany culture, perfect if you are self-motivated, driven, and don't see working out as a chore

ConsNot a good fit if you just want to show up and fold pants, you have to buy-in to the company culture, which only works if it truly gels with your own values

Be Aware of the lulu-Flavored Kool-Aid

ASM (Former Employee)

Prosflexible arrangements and decent work-life balance
    management at least pretends to care
    the company encourages you to think about life after lulu
    get to wear amazingly comfy clothes to work
    all the free workouts you can handle
    for retail - this is likely the best arrangement you'll find (if you're into fitness)

Consthe creepy group-think that begins to emerge the longer you're there
    you're forced to read out-dated books from the "library" and integrate needlessly into your work
    the favoritism that inevitably plays out when a bunch of former sorority-types work together
    the clothes are too expensive for part-timers (those without massive discounts)

Advice to Senior Managementconsider taking a bottom-up approach as well as a top-down review system. if you really care as much about your employees as you claim, you ought to be interested in how your managers are performing.

Hypocritical Culture

New York, NY

Prosdiscount on clothes, comp'd exercise classes, some of the team members were great

Consmanagement was hypocritical, terrible people culture despite priding themselves on it, felt like if you weren't part of the 'cult' then you weren't going to succeed. I think it might've just been the manager and assistant manager at the location i worked at ( NYC, huge volume store...a lot of pressure to sell), as I've spoken to people who worked at lulu in other more low-key locations/states and their experience sounded very different.

Disappointing in the end.

Educator (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsAttracts a group of people who are positive, upbeat and active. Individuals are inspired to share their love of fitness with the community and the energy the stores have is contagious.

ConsLack of knowledgable management. People end up in upper level positions as a result of time invested with the company and not as a result of qualifications or managerial skills.

Excellent company for development

US Operations (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsVery entrepreneurial, exciting mission, great communication, performance oriented workplace and very upbeat

ConsNot really any that I can think of

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lose sight of what made the company great in the first place, especially as the market gets more crowded and the company feels pinched in the short term.

Happy educator

Educator (Former Employee)

ProsWork with like-minded individuals who are passionate about living life to the fullest. The product is high-performance, and it is fun to try out new activities with your coworkers.

ConsRetail can become a bit catty; at times it seemed as though management only rewarded friends instead of those who had truly worked the hardest.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize everyone's potential. It may be difficult to see what people are good at, but giving them positive feedback and getting to know them better will help.

Worked for lululemon? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at lululemon reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for lululemon CEO Laurent Potdevin . All 194 reviews posted anonymously by lululemon employees.