lululemon
www.lululemon.com Vancouver, Canada 5000+ Employees

lululemon Reviews

Updated Jul 5, 2014

Laurent Potdevin

Pros:
  • "They are very health focused and you get two free fitness classes a week at a local studio"
    in 31 reviews
  • "Stock options, great discounts on quality apparel, lots of free yoga classes"
    in 24 reviews
Cons:
  • "Employees are underpaid, overworked, with no work/life balance"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Upper management is very disconnected from what happens at a store level"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great team, a lot of company jargon, and little room for advancement

Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe people who worked in the store were lovely to work with, the clothes are an easy sell, good pay for managers, free workouts, and each day can be different.

ConsUpper management often isn't aware what's going on at a store level, store atmosphere and expectations vary depending on who's managing, lack of clear store vision, too many initiatives going on at once, and a lot of company jargon when discussing roles. Very difficult to advance.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk less about emotional intelligence and live it. Too many conflicting actionable items causes confusion as to what is actually the stores priority.

Enjoy the people very much. Management over thinks and makes something that should be simple into a major project.

Educator (Current Employee)

ProsEnergetic, fun people. Workouts are priority, plenty of opportunity to get involved in more than just showing up for a shift

Consschedule can be grueling, subjective reviews/feedback that leave you unclear, too much jargon, may never use the word "entrepreneur" again in my lifetime.

Great company to grow with

Educator (Current Employee)
    Dallas, TX

Pros-laid back
    -professional
    -work/life balance
    -free workouts
    -like minded people

Cons-sometimes taken too seriously
    -when not hitting goal, not much $$

Advice to Senior Managementconsistency

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work and focus on yourself

ProsVery supportive of outside goals

ConsRequires a lot of time outside of work

Backstabbing and two faced management

Lululemon Educator (Former Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

ProsGreat discount on (what used to be) amazing quality clothing

ConsIf you want a repeat of high school, you'll find it here. I was older than most of the other educators AND management, and I was mid twenties, and wow was that made clear! I also have children and was a single mother at the time, going to classes outside of work was pretty close to impossible, and I was constantly being questioned about my lack of commitment. I also didn't feel the 'cheerleader' mold, but in no way am i unfriendly or unapproachable, and found it hard to maintain the constant fake smile I was encouraged to withhold. My manager took it upon herself to hire personal friends and make them key leaders with no experience, over many of us who had worked there for over a year. Management and keyleaders were usually found sitting in our back room or outside of the store gossiping. I was eventually accused of having a bad attitude (which was the same laid back and quiet ('bad') attitude i had for 2 years of employment there. I was written up for a completely vague reason which i never understood. The manager lied to my face when i arranged a meeting with her, telling me she had no idea about my write up or the reason behind it. I was fired days later, with her signature on the paperwork. Lucky me, i was then the unemployed single mother who desperately needed to keep that job, exasperated because i was essentially fired by a clique straight out of Mean Girls. I didnt want to sit with you, anyway.

No wonder this company is going to sh*t.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour company is being run by bossy, fake, and extremely unprofessional managers

lululemon athletica was sexist and had a cult-like culture.

Corte Madera, CA

ProsComplimentary fitness benefits and culture promotes good health.

ConsSexism in the workplace and limited advancement opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo right by your people.

will make you a luculocolulemon

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGet a discount on clothing

ConsEmployees are underpaid, overworked, with no work/life balance. The company culture is a huge brilliant marketing scam that brainwashes their employees. Fits the stereotypical 'fitness industry' model where management is immature, young, and easily influenced.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up

Great example of a fast growing company that promotes unqualified people into management positions in order to scale.

Educator (Former Employee)
    Leawood, KS

ProsDiscount on clothes
    Work in a high-end area/location
    Get paid somewhat higher than normal retail clothing stores
    Great quality of clothing (most of the time…. besides the whole shear pants issue that happend this last year..)

ConsThe pressure to meet daily, weekly and monthly sales goals is to intense.

One of the many benefits of partaking in yoga and exercise is that it allows for an individual to be able to disconnect from the everyday stresses of life. How can a person disconnect from these everyday stresses, when they're told by management to talk about lululemon clothing at yoga studios and exercise classes? Even if the company pays for your yoga or work-out class, it's psychologically unhealthy and counterproductive to have the overall goal to increase sales of the store. Especially when you have to attend these classes on your own time, with your own gas money and drive all over the city.

Store managers yearly bonus are greatly determined by what sales goals the store as a whole meets. This naturally creates an unhealthy work environment that causes store managers to make employees attend a certain number of work-out class per week in order to spread "brand awareness" which then correlates to their lovely yearly bonus. And of course, all while having a fake and happy smile on.

The HR department will listen to you if you have a problem or issue, but they will do nothing after the phone call to try and solve the issue further.

If a new store is opening in a nearby city, they will often promote and transfer people from an existing store to the new store. This is often done a very quick fashion and most of the time the people who are getting promoted lack any real sense of leadership or true management training. There's to many recent college graduates who majored in something irrelevant to business that get promoted to quick because there's no one else to fill the position.

Part of lululemons "culture" is promoting entrepreneurship internally, but most of the managers have no idea what entrepreneurship is about, nor do they want to learn more about it. Knowing what entrepreneurial behavior is and being able to spot it out in an employee and then reward that behavior is a VERY VALUABLE ASSET to grow a company. But, obviously since the managers have absolutely no knowledge about entrepreneurship, they wouldn't be able to notice it.

Save your soul, energy and intelligence and don't work at this company.

Lululemon is sunshine and rainbows on the outside, but also fake and ignorant on the inside.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead the book "Conscious Capitalism" by John Mackey. Or just read in general.

Fun work experience

Educator (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat culture, great discount, free fitness classes, emphasis on goal-setting

ConsSome rules are too rigid

Diversity Needed

Senior Developer (Current Employee)
    New City, NY

ProsThe self-development tools are helpful.
    Great benefits.
    You learn the true meaning of great customer service.
    Great sense of community here.

ConsA need to educate and train everyone.
    It is hard to be promoted.
    Constant need to fit the mold.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart hiring mature people to fit management roles.
    You are hiring a lot of young immature managers. True spending clients are over the age of 40. (Culture doesn't allow them to hire over a certain age.) Is this really being authentic? Or legal?

Worked for lululemon? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at lululemon reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for lululemon CEO Laurent Potdevin . All 194 reviews posted anonymously by lululemon employees.