lululemon

www.lululemon.com

lululemon Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Laurent Potdevin

Pros
  • They are very health focused and you get two free fitness classes a week at a local studio(in 32 reviews)

• Stock options, great discounts on quality apparel, lots of free yoga classes(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • poor scheduling inhibits intended "work-life balance"(in 13 reviews)

• Upper management is very disconnected from what happens at a store level(in 6 reviews)

Best Retail Company Ever

Educator (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Proslululemon offers an extremely supportive workplace environment. The company as a whole works to develop each individual both within the company and as a person outside of lululemon. The community involvement is top notch.

ConsIt can be difficult to work with almost all women at times. Emotions can run high and we can get on each others nerves. It sometimes is click-ish you are in or out. If you don't like to work out and aren't always on your A game it can be difficult to fit the mold.

Preached = culture, actions = complete opposite

Key Leader (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsDiscount
    Free Workouts
    Bonus commission
    Idea of culture is nice
    In store literature

ConsLeadership = mediocre
    Need to be very malleable for promotion
    Your feedback is encouraged, but reality is, it's just a means to use what you say to plan your demise (muahaha)
    Expected to go above and beyond without compensation
    Idea of culture is nice but was never executed

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up. Do what you preach.

Disappointing and going downhill

Lululemon Educator (Former Employee)

ProsActive people who share the same healthy mindset, lots of goals and development and they spend a lot of time training you. I worked for the company on/off through college and it was always a fun place compared to other retail jobs. The discount was great also!!

ConsLately I've noticed the quality of products are suffering due to growth - and the company is not being honest. Their business practices are no longer aligned with my beliefs. #Shady
    Management is waaayyy too close to the company, meaning ALL THEY DO is think about lululemon. "Omg, #JobLove!!!"... Excuse me while I #GAG
    The whole "work/life" balance they promote? Sounds great, but everyone hangs out with everyone from work and there is no balance. It's cliquey, promotions are based off of friendships, not qualifications, and if they don't like you, you won't get hours or get promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to the way things were in 2010 and 11 Make quality, unique items that you can't find anywhere else. Stop cheaping out on the discounts you used to give us, stop promo-ing stuff to your friends and give back to the community like we used to. Back in the day, the bottom line was "elevating the world from mediocrity to greatness".. Now it's "how little can we make this for and still sell it for $98"

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bottom line: this is a cult.

Key Leader (Former Employee)

ProsGreat discount, although you will lead to you spending way too much money on clothes that you really don't need.

ConsSurprise, surprise, it's a cult. If you're in, you'll go far. As soon as you decided you aren't 100% down! expect to get fired after a few FFIs.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice. This company is going nowhere good.

Good work life balance

Brand Educator (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood place to work part-time, great discount, free yoga classes, introductions to new workout classes, great co-workers, happy customers, overall healthy work environment.

ConsI had one Manager that was one of the most inspiring and insightful people I have ever worked with. However, she was often out of the store and the assistant manager was hateful and created a very hostile and unpleasant work environment. There is a lot of pressure to socialize with your co-workers and at times feels like a never ending popularity contest.

Like getting an MBA but managers define your experience

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsYou learn a ridiculous amount while working at luluelmon and I would encourage those who have an interest in business to come here. Small teams and a lot of ownership means that you are responsible for a lot which is VERY cool. The skills you learn, both business-wise and personal-wise, are priceless (managing budgets, managing people, p&l management, setting business goals, hiring & recruiting, community events, etc).I like to say you walk away with an MBA here if you get to the Key Leader and higher manager roles. It's awesome!

Positive and uplifting place to work
    Great discount (but that could be a con too since you buy way too much clothes)
    A lot of self-development
    Free workout classes

ConsIf you decide you don't see your future with the company then you become easily dispensable
    You work a lot of unpaid hours
    Tough to have a life-work balance (especially if you don't get 2 days off in a row)
    Hard to take vacation

Advice to Senior ManagementI understand there is a need to develop "successors" for the good of the business but the high-speed rate at which we were expected to do so led to a lot of inauthenticity and it took all the fun out work. People grow at different rates and that needs to be OK.

Also - ruffle some feathers at the SSC for employees to be paid better. You'll continue to lose a lot of great people for the pure fact that they cannot sustain a living off their paychecks.

#joblove

Key Leader (Current Employee) Berkeley, CA

ProsGet to work out where ever in the community and lululemon will pay for it. Development is encouraged.

ConsYou must seek out your own development...duh.

fun!

Prosgreat workout benefits and fun environment with people who generally are like you!

Consfull time is considered 30 hours so it does make a difference in the hours you get per week

Great Company

Key Leader (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat company to work for. Wonderful Culture/ development opportunities/ yoga benefits.

ConsMoney can be unstable because it's based on group sales. You've got to be dedicated to the company and invest in your future there to get the most out of the opportunity.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at educators, KL, ASM, and SM's for corporate roles.

Disappointing.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe discount is the only major pro, in my opinion.

ConsThe sorority culture at lululemon was very stressful. The stated values are in complete contrast with how management actually behaves. Unfortunately while I was there I saw the majority of the most promising people, the people who were most in line with what they claim to value, quit due to frustration with a catty work environment. Meanwhile, dominating, hypocritical, and superficial employees were promoted quickly. Also, the opportunity for growth with the company was grossly misrepresented. All of the above was an unfortunate discovery for those who signed on because they they thought it would be a yogic environment filled with opportunity; especially given that most of the people I knew there had taken HUGE pay cuts to be there. In spite of what their culture documents say, it is nothing more than a retail job and a bad one at that.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf regional management spoke to lower level employees regularly they would probably hear the same stories about in-store management. The feedback would be helpful I think. Issues can't get resolved in-store because it's easy to get bullied into submission there due to the loyalties.

Worked for lululemon? Contribute to the Community!