lululemon

Updated January 26, 2015
Updated January 26, 2015
3.7

Laurent Potdevin

Pros
  • They are very health focused and you get two free fitness classes a week at a local studio (in 35 reviews)

• flexible arrangements and decent work-life balance (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • poor scheduling inhibits intended "work-life balance" (in 17 reviews)

• Upper management is very disconnected from what happens at a store level (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Experience Overall

Former Employee - Lululemon Educator in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Lululemon Educator in Portland, OR

I worked at lululemon part-time (more than a year)

Pros

great culture, get to work with like-minded fitness enthusiasts.

Cons

lots of turnover, not much control over hours (or lack thereof)

Great company

I worked at lululemon part-time

Pros

Great experience. Fun culture.

Cons

Retail politics. Advancement is totally internal which makes it hard for new qualified people to get appropriate positions.

Key Leader

I worked at lululemon

Pros

work/play attitude and balance
    office culture
    great product
    companys want for you to excel and be the best you

Cons

Sometimes the "open" attitude could be a bit much, but holding each other responsible elevates the entire team. Very few cons.

The best retail job.

Current Employee - Educator in Primm, NV
    Current Employee - Educator in Primm, NV

I have been working at lululemon part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is so friendly. The work environment is so casual and relaxed, while still remaining professional. Company pays for you to workout. Nice daily bonus and quarterly bonus system. Good discount.

Cons

Typical retail cons such as dealing with snooty customers and being on your feet most of the day. Short breaks.

I love working for a company that takes care of their employees. I never thought I would love "retail".

Current Employee - Lululemon Educator in Novi, MI
    Current Employee - Lululemon Educator in Novi, MI

I have been working at lululemon full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company cares about who you are as an individual and what your vision and goals look like. You are held accountable for taking those steps necessary to reach your 1 year, 5 year, and 10 year goals. They truly care about where you are going and where you want to be, even if it isn't a permanent future with Lululemon.

One of my favorite things is the "illegal" backroom conversations. Talking about a team member behind their back is not allowed. I was hesitant to work for a store that was 90% female coworkers because I don't like the caddy-ness that happens when girls spend too much time together. However, at Lululemon, you are held accountable for giving, what we call, Feedback, whether it is positive or constructive. It helps to know that you have the ability to give your peers feedback, but the greatest thing is that you have the ability, and are encouraged, to give feedback to your managers and leadership team. It is an empowering company to work for without a doubt.

Cons

The blackout period from December 15-January 15 for holiday shopping. You aren't allowed to request a single day off in that month long period. With that said, you won't work any more hours than you would in the normal scheduling period, but you can't request specific days off.

Opportunities if you look for them!

Former Employee - Lululemon Educator in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Lululemon Educator in Bellevue, WA

I worked at lululemon part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Work life balance, great people on a personal level, down to earth yet focused on achieving store and personal goals. Benefits if you lead an active lifestyle. Hint, yoga!

Cons

On your feet a lot, but what retail job isn't!

Sweat more!

Overall Positive Experience

Current Employee - Educator
    Current Employee - Educator

I have been working at lululemon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Positive work environment, great to work with motivating and goal-oriented people everyday. Everyone in my store is really good friends, so we work out and go out together outside of the store setting. Perks: company pays for employees to work out pretty much anywhere in the community, the discount on merchandise is very generous, and the commission system allows for employees to make a great deal more than base pay when the store does well. Opportunity for growth if you are willing to dedicate a lot of time to it.

Cons

Company puts big emphasis on work-life balance, but sometimes doesn't live up to that. Projects are often expected to be done when there isn't time during shifts to do them, so I end up doing them on my own time. Additionally, requesting time off can be a pain, as my store made us use a vacation day if any change in availability on the weekend was made. Lastly, the company only offers a job-protected maternity leave if you worked a certain number of hours within 12 months before leave. Despite having worked full-time for the company for the better part of 4 years, I was not guaranteed my job back because I was finishing my degree while working part-time for several of the months during my pregnancy, so I had to resign and then apply back after my leave.

Strong focus on culture and community

Former Employee - Key Leader
    Former Employee - Key Leader

I worked at lululemon full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great discounts on merchandise, great perks for community fitness classes, and well laid-out hiring/training process

Cons

Often teams are young and inexperienced, which sometimes results in managerial incompetency

Relax on the culture - when you push it too far it turns people off.

All about culture

I have been working at lululemon

Pros

Lots of great professional, goal development here, but it depends store to store, and certain locations it can feel a bit more sterile or less organic. Fun folks to work with and the work is relatively easy.

Cons

It's very all inclusive lifestyle here and people hang out and sweat outside of work together a lot. Some people may not enjoy this.

Great Company

I have been working at lululemon

Pros

This company really emphasizes goal-setting in everything that they do, which I found to be very interesting. The free workouts are also a huge plus, alongside the major discount that they give their full-time employees.

Cons

Hours, Closing shifts, Management schedules you for weird hours/days-off, Everyone has to work weekends