lululemon

www.lululemon.com

lululemon Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Laurent Potdevin

Pros
  • They are very health focused and you get two free fitness classes a week at a local studio (in 32 reviews)

• Stock options, great discounts on quality apparel, lots of free yoga classes (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • poor scheduling inhibits intended "work-life balance" (in 13 reviews)

• Upper management is very disconnected from what happens at a store level (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Daily I am treated as an asset to the store and the company as a whole.

Key Leader (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsThey value your personal development, they value your life/work balance, and they value and encourage you to set your goals high and to crush them!

ConsThe retail hours can be tough, especially around holiday hours but that's to be expected. You may be held accountable for things you are afraid to achieve in life!

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management is more transparent and honest than past companies I've worked for. They're always looking to develop and improve others as well as themselves.

Educator Review

Retail Educator (Current Employee) Lexington-Fayette, KY

ProsFamily environment, great training, fast growth, constant education, positive environment, free fitness classes, drive to be healthy and live a balanced life, while no peer pressure or negativity towards those who are not as active in the fitness world. Group of individuals that were hired for like mindedness towards healthy lifestyles that creates a wonderful work environment.

ConsSometimes lack of communication sometimes makes you feel out of the loop with the rest of the team because of only being part time

Amazing company to work for. The values that this company holds for it's product and it's employees is incredible.

Educator (Current Employee) Hingham, MA

ProsThe culture of this company is by far my favorite aspect. I love being active in the community, sweating with my co-workers, organizing community events, getting to know our guests and ambassadors in their workout environment. The fact that we get classes paid for is so motivating and so fun to try out all of the local classes. The discount is definitely a bonus, especially if you are full time. And the people who are hired are seriously the best.

ConsThe pay is not the greatest but I guess if you're a younger person still living at home, it is actually great pay for a "retail" job. But if you're trying to save money or make a career change while working for an AWESOME company with AWESOME people, then you won't be saving anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to keep it real. I love working with people who are so uplifting and inspiring and push me to do things that I wouldn't have thought once that I would actually do.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to grow with

Educator (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

Pros-laid back
    -professional
    -work/life balance
    -free workouts
    -like minded people

Cons-sometimes taken too seriously
    -when not hitting goal, not much $$

Advice to Senior Managementconsistency

They aren't rated as a top company to work for for a reason...

Lululemon Educator (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

Prosfree yoga! discount on yoga apparel! ... some pretty funny guests experiences.

ConsWhere to begin? If you aren't immature, unprofessional, prepare to be forgotten or if you are any of those prepare to be attacked. If you mind your own business and have no desire to move up in the company - good for you! but If you do want to make a name for yourself, a difference within and in the surrounding community, prepare yourself to kiss somebodys behind. Whose best friend will you be? who will you spend every second outside of work drinking wine with and gossiping with?? haters hate and its the culture. leadership of self is never ever displayed and consistency and commitments are only made to those that are favored by any management. Sucks. but its the whole truth - especially since I went to HR, Regional and area manager and they still did nothing until the management team decided to tell their side of the story, only then did they take action. yikes. I know what the difference is with listening and actually listening and what morally is right and wrong. Its who you know, not what you do that gets you to your next position. The culture, your goals, you team efforts, your ideas mean nothing unless you have a position of management and a team of followers. Dont be a part of that.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart really listening by not responding with feedback but looking into things more closely and allowing peoples actions to be seen by more then just one, two managers or just their store. When a group of friends works together, it can cause major issues. when somebody requests a transfer, do it. when they request a second opinion, help them. and most importantly - when they tell you their manager is a bully! Do something immediately.

Great team, a lot of company jargon, and little room for advancement

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe people who worked in the store were lovely to work with, the clothes are an easy sell, good pay for managers, free workouts, and each day can be different.

ConsUpper management often isn't aware what's going on at a store level, store atmosphere and expectations vary depending on who's managing, lack of clear store vision, too many initiatives going on at once, and a lot of company jargon when discussing roles. Very difficult to advance.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk less about emotional intelligence and live it. Too many conflicting actionable items causes confusion as to what is actually the stores priority.

Backstabbing and two faced management

Lululemon Educator (Former Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsGreat discount on (what used to be) amazing quality clothing

ConsIf you want a repeat of high school, you'll find it here. I was older than most of the other educators AND management, and I was mid twenties, and wow was that made clear! I also have children and was a single mother at the time, going to classes outside of work was pretty close to impossible, and I was constantly being questioned about my lack of commitment. I also didn't feel the 'cheerleader' mold, but in no way am i unfriendly or unapproachable, and found it hard to maintain the constant fake smile I was encouraged to withhold. My manager took it upon herself to hire personal friends and make them key leaders with no experience, over many of us who had worked there for over a year. Management and keyleaders were usually found sitting in our back room or outside of the store gossiping. I was eventually accused of having a bad attitude (which was the same laid back and quiet ('bad') attitude i had for 2 years of employment there. I was written up for a completely vague reason which i never understood. The manager lied to my face when i arranged a meeting with her, telling me she had no idea about my write up or the reason behind it. I was fired days later, with her signature on the paperwork. Lucky me, i was then the unemployed single mother who desperately needed to keep that job, exasperated because i was essentially fired by a clique straight out of Mean Girls. I didnt want to sit with you, anyway.

No wonder this company is going to sh*t.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour company is being run by bossy, fake, and extremely unprofessional managers

Enjoy the people very much. Management over thinks and makes something that should be simple into a major project.

Educator (Current Employee)

ProsEnergetic, fun people. Workouts are priority, plenty of opportunity to get involved in more than just showing up for a shift

Consschedule can be grueling, subjective reviews/feedback that leave you unclear, too much jargon, may never use the word "entrepreneur" again in my lifetime.

Great place to work and focus on yourself

ProsVery supportive of outside goals

ConsRequires a lot of time outside of work

lululemon athletica was sexist and had a cult-like culture.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Corte Madera, CA

ProsComplimentary fitness benefits and culture promotes good health.

ConsSexism in the workplace and limited advancement opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo right by your people.

Worked for lululemon? Contribute to the Community!